Water Pump Replacement
For additional DMC detail, See DMC
Author/source: Copyright by Cameron
The original source of this document is
Volvo Repair Clinic. Used by Permission.
How To Change a B28F Water Pump
...or Another Reason to Avoid the PRV V-6
Editor's note - Although written specifically to cover the Volvo
Application of the B28 Engine it is essentially the same procedure on a
DeLorean. Thanks to Cameron Price for his kind permission to reproduce it here.
My added comments are in italics.
If you don't have several days to spare or are faint of heart, have your favorite
garage perform the water pump replacement. Volvo rates this job at 5.75 hours of labour
and the water pump costs about $225 (Canadian). Add to this amount if any of the hoses
are 4 years old and expect to replace many ancillary hoses, belts, sending units, etc.
- Noisy water pump
- Leaking or loss of antifreeze
- Wobble or movement in fan pulley
- Take it to a garage - cost $600 - $1,000
- Replace the water pump yourself - cost $150 - $200
If on the other hand you would like to save the high cost of labour ($55 per hour plus
15% tax in Canada) and also a chance to know the job is done properly, read on.
- Cost Breakdown:
- New Water Pump (GRAF)...$124.00
- Intake O-ring Seals... $9.36
- Miscellaneous supplies, cleaners, tools, etc...$48.14
- 4 litres Prestone Antifreeze...$8.88 (Note DeLorean takes 2
gallons of antifreeze)
- Total cost + 15% PST/GST =====================> $218.94
- Problem Diagnosis:
- Bearings inside of roller bearing cage were starting to disintegrate
- Impeller shaft was wobbling and there was lateral and forward/backward movement
- Seals designed to keep grease inside bearings had broken down
- A piece of the bearing race was extracted from the front pulley seal
- Want to see an inside cutaway (43K) components (43K) damage? (43K)
Return to Cam's Volvo Repair Clinic
Back to Technical Index
Home | Back
Issues | Downloadable
Files | Links
FAQ | Clubs
and Events | DeLorean
Mailing List FAQ
Copyright © 1995 - 2005 DMC-News
legal fine print.
Comments, criticisms, questions: