I've owned my DeLorean for a little over a year now and I've used it as a
daily driver since the first day of ownership. I've done (and had done) a lot of
work to it, but there was always one thing that I could never seem to fix for
more than a week - the window felt. I've replaced the felt 4 times this past
year, and now I finally have a solution that works.
I wanted to do away with the OEM solution of a rubber strip with felt glued to it. I've discussed other glues with list members, but I really
wanted to update the car with the rubber/felt backed trim that is found on modern cars.
Stuff needed for fix:
Pair of window trim from '89 Ford Probe or similar
14 6/32" x 3/8"(length) low-profile head screws
14 6/32" nuts
14 1/4" washers
These directions are extremely detailed. I'm somewhat of a beginner with DeLoreans, so I always appreciate having more information than necessary. I apologize if I go on and on about the smallest little detail. :)
Take the upper door panels off and remove the screws holding the bracket with the window felt (or rubber strip if that's all you have left).
The old window felt just barely holding on to the OEM rubber strip:
Mark where the ends of the rubber strip are on the bracket. Remove the OEM strip and cut the Ford trim to fit. I cut mine just a little bit longer (inch or two) just to be safe. The Ford trim should now have 7 holes.
Position the trim where it should go on the bracket and run the screw through the trim with the head toward where the window will run. On the inside of the bracket, put a washer on and then the nut. What's cool about the Ford trim is that there are 2 strips of trim that touch the window with the holes in between. Since the screws are in between the 2 strips, the window won't touch the screws.
Lining up the new trim with the door bracket:
Go along the trim until all 7 screws are in. Tighten with a Phillips screw driver and a socket. Then install the trim back into the door and put the upper door panel back on.
The trim is held on to the bracket by squeezing the bracket between the trim (which is metal coated in rubber) and the washer. After it's all
tightened, the trim won't budge.
The trim from the Ford cost me 3 dollars and the hardware cost a little under 7 dollars. The time involved (after all parts are collected) is just about half an hour - with 80% of that time being time spent taking the doors apart and putting them back together.
View of the inside of the bracket. Notice the spacing of the screws. All 7 screws line up so that you can get to them from the back through the oval cutouts in the bracket:
View of the window-facing side of the trim. Notice that the bottom piece will protect the window from ever touching the screws:
I'm glad that I'm finally able to contribute something other than questions and a witty personality to the DeLorean community. :) Thanks to everyone for all the help over the past year.
Christian Williams October 15 2001
Home | Back
Issues | Downloadable
Files | Links
DeLorean FAQ | Clubs and Events | DeLorean Mailing List FAQ
Copyright © 1998-2001 DMC-News and the respective authors
The legal fine print.
Comments, criticisms, questions: webmaster(AT)dmcnews.com