From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2000 10:58 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 107

1. Re: PRV6 Variations
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

2. MORE POWER! was PRV6 Variations
From: "Nate!!" <madpiper_at_dml_codenet.net>

3. Re: John Delorean
From: amazinrick_at_dml_aol.com

4. Rough running durring acceleration
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com

5. door opener solenoids
From: "J.D. Robbins" <jrobbins_at_dml_brit.ca>

6. Re: Re: Celebrity DeLorean owners...
From: "Jake" <jkampho_at_dml_siue.edu>

7. Re: Accumulator Problems
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

8. Re: Good News Story
From: "Jake" <jkampho_at_dml_siue.edu>

9. Re: Celebrity DeLorean owners / Duran Duran
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Angle Drive
From: Dmcjal_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: Think you got everything?
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

12. Vixen Goes to Cleveland... Day Two
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_ketchum.com>

13. Re: PRV6 Variations
From: jus4sho_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: [Re: AC question]
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

15. Re: Celebrity DeLorean Owners
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

16. door locks
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

17. DeLorean Performance Engine available for automatics!
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

18. Varney Delorean
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Think you got everything?
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: Rough running durring acceleration
From: lovdmc12_at_dml_aol.com

21. Re: Rough running durring acceleration
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

22. Re: PRV6 Variations
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

23. Re: Re: Celebrity DeLorean owners / Duran Duran
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>

24. Re: Think you got everything, DeLorean necklace?
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

25. Re: Re: Accumulator Problems
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

26. Re: door locks
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

27. Re: Rough running durring acceleration
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

28. Engine swap updates!
From: "Duke" <at88mph_at_dml_mobis.com>

29. Re: Rough running durring acceleration
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:48:52 -0500
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: PRV6 Variations

Chris,

How do you get even firing from a 60 degree V-6.?

Bruce Benson

> The Venturi has a similar 2.8 block but is even-firing compared to the
DMC's
> odd-firing setup!!
something to think about.....

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:02:55 -0600
From: "Nate!!" <madpiper_at_dml_codenet.net>
Subject: MORE POWER! was PRV6 Variations

After much hot-rodding '70's american muscle, I found the best HP bang per
buck was a roots type straight rotor (2 lobe) supercharger (like the small
B&M or weiand)... the next best was a centrifugal charger (like Paxton). The
paxton has to run at atmospheric presure on the inlet, it would seem this
would lend itself quite well to huffing a D. Mounting the compressor is a
bit like mounting a big alternator. The belt is normaly a 6 or 8 rib
serpentine. (the only real problem comes here, mounting the pulley to the
crank, and isolating from the high temp of the exhaust.) None of the turbo's
lag, spool-down, oil coking problems, or high under-hood temps... a 40% gain
over normaly asperated stock motor, and nothing internal need be done on the
motor, at least for low manifold presures. I don't see why stock intake, and
injection wouldn't be fine for 3-5 lbs.

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 00:42:02 EDT
From: amazinrick_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: John Delorean

Hello list.
    Kathryn told us that John is in Morristown, NJ.  (Not Mauricetown which
is near us and pronounced the same!)  :(   D2K was great of what we saw!!
            Rick E
            ~VIN 11174

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:04:26 EDT
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Rough running durring acceleration

Hello,

Latley I've been driving my D every day, with this nice summer weather we're
having in Chicago, and I've noticed a problem, Durring acceleration if the
pedal is more then halfway to the floor, the engine boggs out, and runs
extreamly rough,  This problem gets much worse when the headlights and
cooling fans are on.  I think the problem could be caused by a weak Duciller
alternator, or a combanation of bad settings, possably timing or air fuel
mixture.  I also thought that the catilitic converter may be plugged.

The muffler is going out, but Im not sure if that could contrubute to the
problem, looks like I get to look for a new muffler now.

Any ideas would be appreciated
Andrew

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:48:32 -0400
From: "J.D. Robbins" <jrobbins_at_dml_brit.ca>
Subject: door opener solenoids

Does anyone have a line on any door opener solenoids that are strong
enough to open the delorean doors but small enough to fit in the actual
door frame?

I had limited success last year with door poppers that had 30 pounds of
force that 'sometimes' open my doors, usually when the engine is running
and providing 14 volts instead of 12 when the car is not running.

I heard that good ol' PJ Grady might be wokring on something... but I
never did hear back.

Please reply on the list and via email to jrobbins_at_dml_brit.ca please.

Thank you!

J.D. Robbins
Lead Software Developer
BRIT Inc. http://www.brit.ca
- Some things are over, some things go on
  Part of me you carry, but part of me is gone -

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 02:09:29 -0500
From: "Jake" <jkampho_at_dml_siue.edu>
Subject: Re: Re: Celebrity DeLorean owners...

Just to add a bit to what Robert said...

A few months ago, just about the time Jim Varney died, I was doing some
research and I ran across an old article about him.  Sorry, I couldn't find
the article again to quote from it but...

The interviewer euphemistically asked Varney at the height of his "Ernest P.
Worrell" career how much money he was making.  Varney answered that he was
making enough to keep gas in his DeLorean.

I don't know.  --Just thought it was interesting.

Jake

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:43:53 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Accumulator Problems

In the summer heat of no less than 105 degrees during the day, with
lows around 82-85 degrees at night is the enviornment that my
DeLorean is in. While in traffic the cooling system on the car works
just fine. But it's when the car is parked that the fuel really heats
up. When I'm driving there's at least air flow going across the fuel
tank, but when I'm parked the air flow stops and the heat goes
straight into the tank. Remember, it gets heat from all sides:
radiator, coolant hoses, pavement, and from the trunk compartment.
About 3-4 hours of driving a day is all that the D can stand. After
about 40 minutes to an hour is when the fuel pump starts to buzz. But
if I park for a long time and then come back, the pump then buzzes
almost as loud as the engine. At this point I've had the car stall
and a couple of times even die on me in traffic. I once even had to
park out in the middle of the desert for about an hour or so just to
let it cool off so I could get home.

About 2 weeks ago I started to have a "hot start" problem with the
car. If the D has sat overnight, then she starts up with a little
hesitation. But the engine will act like it's flooding untill it's
heated up. Once turned off, I have about 15 or so minutes to restart
the engine with minimal hesitation. After that I then have to
manually fire the cold start valve to get everything started again.
Thus far I've done the following things to the ignition system: new
wires, spark plugs, rotor, distributor cap, cleaned the ground
connection for the starter & fuel pump. The ballast resistors show
only 2 ohms resistance, and the LAMBDA unit shows a steady 1.5 volts.
NO fluctuation going to the frequency valve what so ever no matter
what the temperature of the engine is. The oxygen sensor is new, and
I know that according to the workshop manual the wire isn't connected
to it properly, but I haven't gotten to inspecting it yet. With all
of this in mind, does anyone here have any ideas on what is causing
this problem? With the new platinum sparkplugs and the high
performance wires the engine runs stronger then it did before, but
the hard starting & the pick up hose have really put a damper on
things.

Now, what do these 2 things have to do with each other? If things
such as the accumlator and other fuel system components are not
affected by higher, more constant temperatures, then all I need to
worry about is replacing the pick up hose. But if heat can damage
certain fuel system components, then I need to also keep the fuel
tank cool. Suggestions? I'm pretty much open to any theories that
anyone may have right now!

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 02:46:53 -0500
From: "Jake" <jkampho_at_dml_siue.edu>
Subject: Re: Good News Story

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 03:33:18 PDT
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Celebrity DeLorean owners / Duran Duran

I think Jon Taylor of Duran Duran had one. That car is now in the possession
of one of the members of the DeLorean Owners Club UK. I think his name is
Dave Howarth...

I also believe that Mr. Taylor got DMC Ltd. to do a right-hand conversion
just for him, so I guess he was the first European to own a DeLorean, and
also the first person to drive a right-hand drive DeLorean.

Stian Birkeland
NORWAY

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:44:10 EDT
From: Dmcjal_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Angle Drive

Have one angle drive where cable is detached from internal.  Drive seems fine
otherwise.

Anybody ever open one up?  How is cable fastened internally?

Short cables are easy to make or obtain.  Without looking, it would seem
reasonable that they can be repaired if the gears are OK.  Anybody have
experience or comments?

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:43:58 -0400
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>
Subject: Re: Think you got everything?

I was in a house recently that has Stainless Steel tiles in the
kitchen...

The house was about 40 years old.  I wonder if you can still get such a
item?  it would be a nice combination of Stainless Steel tile with
DeLorean Gray grout!

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 07:07:43 -0400
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_ketchum.com>
Subject: Vixen Goes to Cleveland... Day Two

So...

Where was I?  Things have been so busy I haven't had a chance to
breathe,  As I write this, I'm on a plane to London.  Since I can't step
outside for a smoke, and I finally got caught up on some paperwork,  I
thought I'd finish up my thoughts on Day Two.

I started the day at 7 am and dragged myself down to the parking lot
where the Vix was sitting.  It appeared to have really poured
overnight...  my trunk had about 8" of water in it on top of what
remained of the cover, and the inside of the car was soaked.  Lucky
there's no carpet or anything that could get damaged by the rain.

Anyway, I kinda loitered in front of DMC Houston until Stephen Wynne
came out.  Fuel pump?  Not yet...  Being brought in from Columbus.

I had tried to break my old pump free by soaking it overnight in fuel
injector cleaner.  I started with putting it in a coffee cup from the
room, but it was way too short, so I ended up stealing a draft glass
from the bar.  So, it had soaked overnight, and when I hooked it up with
a bit of juice, it started spinning.  However, it sounded more like a
coffee pot than a fuel pump; it made a kind of 'perking' noise, but
there was no fuel pressure.  Oh well.  Have to wait for the new one.

The driving tour:  Steve S.???? (forgot your last name, Steve -- sorry)
from Florida gave me a ride while I navigated.  You've heard a lot about
the tour, so I won't repeat it here.  Thanks to Steve, Dennis, Tamir,
Scott, and Elan for a lot of good times on this leg of the trip.

We got lost, naturally, but we rushed back to town.  I was supposed to
meet Stephen Wynne for a fuel pump at 4pm.  They still hadn't arrived
yet, so I cleaned up the car a little bit.  A major thunderstorm rolled
in.  I tell ya, the winds must have been around 50 at least.  It was
shredding what was left of my cover.  Rain was pouring down in buckets.
I had to keep the water off of the relays and ECUs, so I ended up laying
across the back of the car holding the cover together for a few minutes,
until the lightning made me get back into my other car.

I started to drive away, but didn't get very far.  I just couldn't leave
the poor D sitting there like that.  Hadn't this poor car been through
enough in her life already?  How could I leave her, with no protection
from the elements, in the middle of a thunderstorm, on a dock in some
strange city?  The least I could do was stay by her side so she wouldn't
suffer alone.

I wasn't the only one who felt that way.  Through the rain, I could make
out a few other owners sitting silently in 'other' cars next to their
D's, riding out the storm.

So eventually I made it back to the hotel, changed clothes, and headed
to dinner.  I met nick Pitello and his dad, Gus Schlacter, and so many
other DMLers I won't repeat them all here...and then... John Z. DeLorean
just casually walked in.  That's something I never thought I'd see.
Quite a nice guy.  We're very lucky that JZD made himself so accessable
to us for the event.

After that, I went to Mike Substelny's house for a bit to see the new
DeLorean documentary, and to pick up an old air compressor for parts
(thanks, Mike!)  After that, I stopped back down to the DMC Houston
trailer, but all their lights were off, so I left him alone. No need to
wake them up at 2am for a fuel pump, eh?

More later...

-Dave Stragand
http://www.ProjectVixen.com

Date: Fri Jun 23 09:25:19 2000
From: jus4sho_at_dml_aol.com

"...Regarding potential swaps to other PRV's, I wouldn't suggest it.  The
DeLorean PRV has some external modifications so that it fits efficiently
in the rear mounted configuration...."

Do you know what exactly these external modifications are?

Thanks,
 Steve Stankiewicz

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:44:40 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: [Re: AC question]

As the factory received increased reports of failures of the fan fail module
a quick fix was created to eliminate the problem. A fused link wire assembly
was created (part #111102) that allowed service personal at dealerships to
remove the module and bypass it with this modification. Several years later
the Fanzilla was created which drastically improved the entire cooling fan
circuit operation and reliability.

"We're here to help you"

DMC Joe / De Lorean Services / <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>
.

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:14:59 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Celebrity DeLorean Owners

Received the email below from David Prowse of "Darth Vader" and "Star
Wars" fame. Looks like he is *not* a DeLorean owner. Would've been
kind of cool to say that Darth Vader drives a DeLorean!

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:34:04 EDT
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: door locks

Hello List,
     Since I have owned the car the power locks have not worked.  I have
checked everything out.  I cleaned all the connections under the T-panel and
tested the wires from the t panel connection to the solenoids.
     The solenoids are not burned out because I have tested them out of the
car and they work fine.  I am receiving no movement from them at all when
they are in the car.
    Could relay#33 "door lock thermal trip" be the problem?  I have checked
out everything else.  I do have the inertia switch disconnected but it is
properly overriden.  when I touch the inertia switch wire to ground the lock
doors light comes on but I get no movement from the lock solenoids.  any info
would be greatly appreciated.  what else can I check?  one more ??  can
someone tell me where the grounding points on the frame are?

Thank You
Dave
#2496-black

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:49:08 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: DeLorean Performance Engine available for automatics!

Contrary to my previous postings, I have been corrected and now state
that the new performance engine IS AVAILABLE for cars with automatic
transmissions. Please email me privately if you want further
information.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 14:49:49 EDT
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Varney Delorean

To add more to the story. Varneys car was sold to a man in Gallatin,TN. He
drove the car for a few yaers and then was planning on a total restore. He
took out the inter, and the car sat outside for 4 years. It was still all
origianl when I saw it. I fellow DMCer bought it ( I'll let him tell the rest
of the story). took it to KY. My understanding is that he got the engine to
fire up and from there I lost track of it. If I remember correctly it was an
81,(lines no flap), gray inter. Seem to remember it was an automatic.
Bruce Battles
Vin 06569
yes with an autographed glovebox lid!!!

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 14:54:16 EDT
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

Then you will have to recover the bar stools with Delorean gray or black
leather. And replace the fan circuts in the stove hood with the Zilla
products!
Bruce Battles

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 15:15:02 EDT
From: lovdmc12_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Rough running durring acceleration

Andrew,

I had a similar problem last summer.  The car wouldn't accelerate at all.
Then I started looking and noticed the voltage gauge was really low.  At
times it would jump up to 13V and the car ran fine.  It turns out the
alternator was on its last leg.  A new alternator and the problem was solved.
 I hope this helps.

Brian

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 19:22:14 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

two things to check
1 a restricted intake or exhaust ie: a dirty air filter or a clogged
catalytic converter from an over rich condition
2 a breakdown in the secondary ignition system ie: old wires or old
plugs
 also check for full fuel flow (a plugged fuel filter)

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 15:40:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 jus4sho_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

> Do you know what exactly these external modifications are?

Uhh... well, no. :}

My information comes from:

http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/t_power.htm

The only part I know for sure that is different is the oil pan, which
could presumably be replaced with the DeLorean version if you wanted to
swap in some other PRV.

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 22:51:55 +0100
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Celebrity DeLorean owners / Duran Duran

Stian/list,
Correct, vin.16242, Northern Irish registration number WIA 8096 now belongs
to Dave Howarth our treasure, he fist saw, and wanted the car many years
ago..he only succeeded in buying it last year. Its another one of
these"non-existent" Right Hand Drives!! John Taylors name is in the log
book.
Incidentally does Don. Lander, DeLorean's managing director, count as a
"Celebrity" he also drove a "none existent" Right hand Drive, vin 5565,
origanal Northern Ireland reg.number AXI 1697, now resisted in England as
SOA 82Y, in the Patrick Motor Museum near Birmingham England (since 1983)

Chris P. DOC UK Hon. Sec.

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 19:05:56 EDT
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: Think you got everything, DeLorean necklace?

    Anyone have the DeLorean Necklace? They are 14k Gold with diamonds for
high and low beam headlights. I was given this as a gift.  I remember the ad
from DeRep Inc, from the 1985 DeLorean World. I think that they were $375.00
or so.

Sincerely,

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 19:13:41 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Accumulator Problems

Heating of the fuel is a common occurrence is all internal combustion
engines, especially in hot weather. This is the very reason that the fuel
injection system is fitted with a fuel accumulator. The fuel is heated, not
at the fuel tank but as it passes through and around the engine. When the
engine is stopped the fuel sitting in the fuel lines above the engine will
go into "vapor lock" if the pressure in the fuel lines drops below a certain
level. The fuel accumulator maintains pressure in the fuel line to prevent
vapor lock.

I would strongly suggest that you replace your lower pick up hose. Your
description of your fuel pump buzzing is a strong indication that the hose
is collapsing as the fuel warms causing "fuel starvation".

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 19:27:12 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: door locks

If your DeLorean is equipped with the factory installed door lock module it
is probably the source of your problem. This component is so prone to
problems that we routinely completely disconnect them on cars that we
service and only reconnect them upon the owners insistence.

You can make your door lock system completely reliable with the installation
of the Lockzilla.

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 19:45:51 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

The problem you are describing could be caused by either fuel starvation
(problem between the fuel tank pick-up and pump) or low voltage to the
ignition and Lambda ECU's. The Ducelliar alternator has a problem delivering
minimal operational voltage to certain components when under full load. If
the operating voltage delivered to the ignition ECU is less than 10 volts
the engine will misfire.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "the muffler is going out". Delorean
mufflers have a "0" failure rate. It is also unlikely that your catalytic
converter is plugged unless you had an extreme overheat incident.

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 21:09:09 -0500
From: "Duke" <at88mph_at_dml_mobis.com>
Subject: Engine swap updates!

Thanks to everyone for your comments and questions on my swap.  However, if you have emailed me questions from either yahoo, AngelFire, or AOL, I'm not recieving your mail messages.  My ISP is having problems with their mail server and they will be replacing it this Sunday night at midnight.  Another DML'er brought this to my attention just today.  As far as the swap goes, the only thing I've done since I posted the new pics is to paint the brackets.  I'll be putting them back on this weekend.  I'm waiting for a friend of mine to finish up on the wiring diagram so I can post that as well.

Thanks,

Duke
www.geocities.com/at88mph_1999

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 23:40:16 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Andrew,
Try some of the easy things first. Have you washed the motor lately. Did
water get in the spark plug holes. Pop off the boots and blow out any
standing water. If the boots are tight sweat or water won't evaporate out and
you will have rough riding.  Also, weak fire to the plug, when was the last
time the coil was replaced. Even though there is no moving parts, coils do
get weak just like plug wires. A almost 20 year old coil can give some cars a
new life. And, last but not least, the dreaded alternator, won't keep up.
Have you tried our 140 Amp. It's a champ. But it would help if you  have a
good strong 850 amp cold crank amp battery.
My $.02's  worth.