From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2000 3:01 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 118

1. Cleveland pictures and videos online!
From: "Steven Lawrence" <vipertv_at_dml_cableone.net>

2. New Engine - Technical
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

3. Re: PRV-6 Differances: Volvo vs. DeLorean
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

4. Re: New Engine
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: PRV-6 Differances: Volvo vs. DeLorean
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

6. Re: Carpet for a DeLorean-$360
From: <mikeatk_at_dml_concentric.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 01:06:53 -0500
From: "Steven Lawrence" <vipertv_at_dml_cableone.net>
Subject: Cleveland pictures and videos online!

Hello All,

     Just letting you know that I added the Cleveland pictures and videos to my website...  Check them out at http://go.fast.to/delorean/ or http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/DMCViper/index.html.  I hope you enjoy the pictures, and if you need a certain picture without the logo on it, let me know and I'll get it to you.  Enjoy..

Steven Lawrence
vipertv_at_dml_cableone.net
VIN# - not yet.....
My DeLorean Website
http://go.fast.to/delorean/

Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 01:23:56 -0500
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: New Engine - Technical

I realized that my first message on my car was rather flowery, which is
fine, but I must now provide some technical supporting details.

I don't remember the final dyno numbers, but the engine comes in at about
200HP.  Don't know the torque.  This info will undoubtedly make it's way
onto DMC's web site ( http://www.usadmc.com/Performance/Engine/engine.asp ).
Nor have I gotten and 0-60 times, but I do have the performance meter from
G-Tech ( http://pw1.netcom.com/~shapiro3/gtech.htm ) and plan on having
those numbers soon.

We started with a NOS crate engine, since my original had 100k+ miles.  I
was concerned about storage damage but the motor looks and behaves like new.
From my original I kept the air cleaner box, A/C compressor and alternator,
but not much else.  The new engine got ported and polished heads with new
cams.  As far as I know, the block was untouched (i.e., the cylinders
weren't bored, the pistons are the same, etc.).  The exhaust system was
replaced with new headers and dual catalytic converters to improve exhaling.

It's hard to believe, but the stock configuration has the right-side exhaust
bank going around the engine at the firewall to the left bank, where the two
meet and enter the muffler in one pipe, despite there being two exhaust
pipes!  With the new setup, you keep your muffler but it's converted to a
two-in, two-out configuration.  I think it's actually quieter now.

I believe that nothing was done to the fuel system, except to replace some
minor items to ensure adequate flow.  The fuel pump, fuel distributor,
injectors, etc., all stayed.  Nor was there any real change to the ignition
system, as I still have a distributor, etc., but there are some extra
electronics.  Not sure what that's for.

Stephen is planning other updates to the ignition system and fuel system,
but those are still pending.  It is possible that with a distributorless
ignition and EFI, this motor could get above 250HP.  Normally aspirated!

From looking at the whole thing, it's difficult to tell it's not a stock
setup until you see the exhaust system.  (Photos to come!)  Forgot to ask
about the spark plugs, but I am definitely now on a strict diet of Premium
Unleaded.  Anyway, it's had over 3000 miles on it, so far so good.  The
cooling system is stock and my temp stayed constant throughout the trip home
from Houston, where I averaged about 25 MPG.

The brake pads are some carbon-fiber blend that have reduced high-temp fade
yet don't need to be hot before they work.   and they do pull the car down
nicely.

The lowering springs were a blessing, and match very well with the
Delorean-spec custom shocks.  The shocks are pricey ( ~ $150/corner) but
considering the fronts can't be had anymore at all, it's a steal!
Seriously, the difference from stock to what I have now is astonishing, like
night and day.

Anyway, I plan on showing off at the Saturday-night "classic car showoff
spot" at the Antique Mall of Texas
 http://www.antiquetexas.com/ait/html/amtmap.htm ) if anyone in the area
wishes to join me there.

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN# 4695

Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 10:45:24 EDT
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: PRV-6 Differances: Volvo vs. DeLorean

Check out this PRV - V6 from the American Renault Alpine.

http://www.mindspring.com/~techbiz/alpin00.htm

It is about half way down the page.

That oil pan looks familiar...

Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 03:12:09 EDT
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: New Engine

Gus,

   Sounds like this new engine is great. We keep hearing about all this extra
power you've got, form both you and Bill and your seat of the pants test
drives.  How about putting that thing on a chassis dyno and giving us some
real numbers. Bob Brandy's put some cars on a dyno last year in Chicago and
he's got all kinds of factual info, both HP and Torque curves, on various
Delorean engine setups.

  We're glad to hear all of this " it feels real good" stuff, but we want
actual hard facts. Let's run your car and get Bill to run his also, so we can
get some hard numbers and print out some dyno charts. I'm sure Bob would be
willing to add them to his collection of current information for comparisons.

   It's also one of the best ways there is to tune and tweak your new setup
to get the most out of it.  A dyno will show you more in an hour then you can
get in weeks of trial and error.  I'm surprised the guys at DMC Houston
haven't already done this, or have they ?  Is there some hard info available
that someone just isn't sharing ?

  Let us know what you think.     Marty

Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 01:35:07 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Robert,

The only PRV's used in Volvo's were the B-27, B-28, and B-280. Non of these
engines were fitted with turbo's.

"We're here to help you"

DMC Joe / De Lorean Services / <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>
.

Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 01:55:19 -0700
From: <mikeatk_at_dml_concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Carpet for a DeLorean-$360

Hi Dave,
Would be very curious to know how well the carpet works out for you.  Would
you mind letting me know or posting on the DML the results.

Thanks

mike Atkinson

vin16232