From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2000 2:52 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 123

1. Re: Engine surges
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

2. Memphis Show 2002
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: Engine surges
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

4. broken antenna wanted
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

5. Control pressure regulator
From: David Sontos <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>

6. Re: JZD Signature on your car in Cleveland
From: "Steve Pattison" <stevep1_at_dml_home.com>

7. Re: side marker sockets; Delco alternators
From: Darryl Tinnerstet <darryl_at_dml_techline.com>

8. One more battery thread!
From: maurit_at_dml_ibm.net

9. LED Lights
From: "Mike " <mquinto_at_dml_msn.com>

10. Re: Side Marker Sockets
From: tonilfhs98_at_dml_aol.com

11. Control Pressure Regulator
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>

12. Re: re: Auto Trany Governor Secrets...
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: New Battery
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Melted fuses
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: Facia Bolt Replacement
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: ALTERNATOR
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

17. AW: Digest Number 121
From: <Klaus-Peter.Steiner_at_dml_energie.rwe.de>

18. aug 2000 car and driver
From: illyana delorean <illyana_at_dml_azstarnet.com>

19. RE: ALTERNATOR
From: "David Jacobs (NEC)" <v-davidj_at_dml_Exchange.Microsoft.com>

20. This car shore is fun
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

21. Re: Re: side marker sockets; Delco alternators
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

22. Re: Digest Number 122-starting woes for Matthew P. Olans
From: mgailey_at_dml_emindustries.com

23. Re: Memphis Show 2002
From: Hank Breer <hbreer_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 14:39:58 -0400
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>
Subject: Re: Engine surges

You my have the cause and symptom reversed.

Sounds like you have a intermittent electrical problem, and when the
voltage goes up to where it should be you get a better spark... Causing
the surge.

Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 14:40:49 EDT
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Memphis Show 2002

Fellow DMCer's,
I have an idea for the Memphis show. Why not contact St. Judes Hospital and
see if they would like us to bring a few Deloreans around for the kids? Who
knows maybe even get Bob B. to bring the time machine and crank it up. St
Judes helps only kids and what a better way to make some memories that will
last forever with both the kids and the owners. Just an idea, if there is
enough interest I'll see what I can do to help set it up. ( The good news is
it is 2 years away, so no rush on repleys)
Bruce Battles
Vin # 6569

Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 15:45:03 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Michael,

Does this problem happen in any gear other than 5th?

DMC Joe / De Lorean Services / <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>
.

Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 17:54:14 EDT
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: broken antenna wanted

Hello List,
    I just bought a power antenna but it is missing the mast and a few other
small pieces.  If anyone has an old one laying around please drop me an email.

Thanks
dave

Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 18:28:58 -0400
From: David Sontos <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>
Subject: Control pressure regulator

I've just finished the repair procedure for the Control Pressure
Regulator. If you are plagued with multiple cold starts and stumbling
and stalling when the engine is cold your CPR needs to be opened up. You
can read the text at:

http://www.vabch/dsontos/regulato.htm

Let me know if you need any additional information after reading the
procedure.

Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 16:52:56 -0700
From: "Steve Pattison" <stevep1_at_dml_home.com>
Subject: Re: JZD Signature on your car in Cleveland

Nick,

Thanks for all your help.  I found a paint pen today at a craft store.

Steve Pattison
vin 2528
San Diego

Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 17:51:48 -0800
From: Darryl Tinnerstet <darryl_at_dml_techline.com>
Subject: Re: side marker sockets; Delco alternators

Another source for side marker sockets is NAPA - ask for #LS 6429.

As for the person who asked about Delco alternator prices, in addition to
kits supplied by most DeLorean parts sources you can go to most any local
auto parts store.  This isn't a DeLorean part, so your choices are wide open
and the prices vary accordingly.  If you want top of the line quality, try a
Beck-Arnley #186-6068.  To make it easier to install, also get a #50-615R
one-wire adapter.  Both are available here through NAPA.  You will also need
a generic curved adjustment bracket which will probably need to be
shortened, and a new belt.  Its not that complicated.  Total cost should be
$150 - 300 depending on quality and your shopping ability.

--
Darryl Tinnerstet
Specialty Automotive

Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 02:38:28 -0000
From: maurit_at_dml_ibm.net
Subject: One more battery thread!

I know this thread has surfaced again, however, I thought I'd share a
story.

I went with an Optima Yellow deep cycle a few months ago and I'm glad
I did!

Recently, I was at a wedding standing in the cake line, and I
overheard two guests speaking: "Wow, did you see that Delorean
outside? Yeah, cool, wonder why the lights won't turn off!?"

I put my plate down and went out to the parking lot to find I left the
headlights on.  This had been at least four hours since I arrived, so
I didn't know what to expect.  I turned the key, and it started
normally!  I turned it (and the lights) off and went back to the
reception, a few hours later it again started without a problem.

I'm sold.

Here are some of the specs:
750CCA, 65Ah, Reserve capacity, 124 min _at_dml_25amps to 10.5V, Group 34

Mauri T.
Austin, TX

Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 01:42:44 -0000
From: "Mike " <mquinto_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: LED Lights

Hello List,
Recently I contacted a company called Radianz. They make LED
tailights, side marker lights, and so on.
I'm interested in doing this conversion to my DeLorean.
I met with both of the guys that run the company today. One of the
guys brought his Cuda he converted. Words can't explain how good the
LED's look. He had a long flexible LED bar that runs along the bottom
of his trunk, and it looked really good.
Thier products don't look like the cheesy LED lights you get from
JCwhitney.

These guys are very anxious to do this to my car, so I'm going to let
them do the side markers first then I'll have them do the rear
tailights. Then I'll have them do the door lights and the front turn
signal markers.

One of the guys really had some good ideas for not using the rear
tailight housing. He talked about using plexiglass that would give
him the freedom to make different designs with the rows of light bars.
But I decided just to keep mine the original face design but with
LED's. But for anyone else that wants to try something different.

If anyone else is interested or considering having this done contact
me privately and I'll let you know the outcome.
www.radianz.com

Regards
Mike Vin#1113
mquinto AT msn.com

Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 22:59:22 EDT
From: tonilfhs98_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Side Marker Sockets

I got mine from Pepboys  #84803 Sidemarker Socket 17mm for import. Acura ,
Honda 1984-94
It fits perfectly.  Good luck
Bill Kwan

Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 23:20:20 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>

http://www.vabch.com/dsontos/regulato.htm

Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 23:45:15 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: re: Auto Trany Governor Secrets...

Dave and / or Scott
I haven't worked with a governor so I'm not familiar with the problem. If
some one can fill me in or send me an old one I might come up with a solution.

Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 00:15:50 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: New Battery

Jeff
Thanks for the inside info: The more cca we have the better. Just make sure
you have a charging system that can put the power in and use it efficently.
Great info

Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 00:54:11 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Melted fuses

Bill, Melted fuses is normally caused because high current for extended
periods of time is going thrugh the fuse. The fuse may and in most cases
won't blow . If a cheap fuse is used , then the plastic could be melting
prematurally. Littlefuse or Bussman are very common and very high quality and
Seimens for our European D's
You need to find out which fuse and what is going thru it that i causing the
problem.Replacing the fuse may not solve the problem just refresh it.  Also,
leave off the cover for more air circulation.

Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 00:21:17 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Facia Bolt Replacement

Bill
3m makes a slow drying clear 2 part epoxy that I use a lot, The slow dry
gives the epoxy time to sink into the pores and hold better. Fast drying to
me doesn't hold as good.

Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 01:10:48 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: ALTERNATOR

Ralph, For what kind of automobile. Different sizes of alternators may or may
not be any better than another. Just bigger and more costley to make or cast.
Your question is a good one but more info is needed. Diodes and regulators
and there quality is the problem. They are also made to be marginal in
performance so we will have to buy more some in the future it keep people
working. If you will read the specs on the original De Lorean alternator, you
will understand why it doesn't work in the U.S.A.     80 amps, at 68% F, it
will put out the current at 3000 rpm with nothing turned on, what were they
thinking. Your never going to idle.  Someone didn't think of export to other
country's when this was designed. I can tell you that the 140 amp I sell for
$195.00 cost the same to build as the Farrar and it sells for over $500.00.
My $0.02c's worth

Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 09:39:10 +0200
From: <Klaus-Peter.Steiner_at_dml_energie.rwe.de>
Subject: AW: Digest Number 121

Go to a Jaguar-Dealer.
They have improved  sockets isolated with rubber !

Klaus
VIN5980, Germany

Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 00:39:44 -0700
From: illyana delorean <illyana_at_dml_azstarnet.com>
Subject: aug 2000 car and driver

just to let everyone know: on page 33 of the new car and driver mag, there
is a mini-article on JZDs bankruptcy issues. no mention of the new D,
though.

illyana

p.s. i am a new subscriber, although i was on the list about a year and a
half ago.

"What's the point in having a Honda if you can't show it off?" -
Superintendant Chalmers

Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 16:43:25 -0700
From: "David Jacobs (NEC)" <v-davidj_at_dml_Exchange.Microsoft.com>

I just added a Delco 100amp alternator to my DeLorean.
It cost $100 at B&B auto parts and came with a lifetime warranty.
It's available at any other parts store.  As far as being a "deluxe
top of the line", well that I couldn't tell you.
What I can tell you is that I have had good luck with them before,
and it works well in the Delorean (fit and performance).  And you
can't go wrong with a lifetime warranty.

Hope this helps!

Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 23:12:47 -0500
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: This car shore is fun

I sooo missed not having this car for the last 3 months.

First I got an earful from the teenage waitress at Sonic, the Texas
drive-thu burger joint.  "Oh mi gawd this is sooo cool, I told them this was
the Back to the Future car but they didn't believe me and you know I'm SO
obsessed I've been to, like, both Universal Studios to do the BTTF ride
which is just like this car only it holds 8 people so I guess it's not like
this at all, but this is like so cool!"

Then I was shopping for a TV at Best Buy and started having a conversation
with a young salesman about DVD after stopping Peggy (the S.O.) from trying
to bring home one of those analog-VCR tape thingies.  "I just want the BTTF
trilogy on DVD," he lamented.  I snickered while I showed him the original
DMC key on my keyring, and then pulled him down from the ceiling as I
explained that he couldn't see it since it's not really a car to take when
shopping for a TV.

But the best was last Saturday night.  There is this strange local
phenomenon where every person with an unusual or classic car congregates in
one place every Saturday.  It's a mini car show.  And I decided to show up
with my D.  The competition was fierce, both new and old: A PT Cruiser, with
a handful of it's antique counterparts; a Dodge Viper across from the Shelby
Cobra.  (I'm taking pictures next time!)  And right in the middle of it was
my D.

It was great being able to answer people's questions, which mostly involved
correcting misinformation.  Mostly the usual misconceptions, but a few
comments stood out:
  Them: "Poor John Delorean, too bad about the way he died suddenly."
  Me:    "Wow, for a dead guy he sure looked great when I saw him 2 weeks
ago."

and (I was too dumbfounded to correct this one):

  "Yep, these shore are rare, this must be one of the last ones left.  I
know that Dee-Lor-Eeen fella was some kinda illegal ferigner but these
babies were built right here in the good ol' US of A.  By Ford."

I had to restrain myself when the nice Police Officer came over and started
making cocaine jokes.

Of course, the best part was when fellow DML-er Mauri Trevino showed up with
his D and parked a few feet away.  Then when people exclaimed "Wow, this is
the first one of these I've ever seen!", I could point over my shoulder and
say "and there's the second!"

I plan to attend next Saturday and hopefully we'll have even more D's
present.  Although next time I plan to have a "Facts Sheet" out.

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN# 4695

Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 08:23:59 -0400
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>
Subject: Re: Re: side marker sockets; Delco alternators

Darryl Tinnerstet wrote:
<SNIP>
> and the prices vary accordingly.  If you want top of the line quality, try a
> Beck-Arnley #186-6068.  To make it easier to install, also get a #50-615R
<SNIP>

What is the output of this unit?  What is the "donor car"?

I'd like to get a alternator from Pep-Boys, because they offer a
lifetime warranty.

Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 09:28:13 -0400
From: mgailey_at_dml_emindustries.com
Subject: Re: Digest Number 122-starting woes for Matthew P. Olans

Matthew:
Had a problem very similar to the one you are describing- turned the key and
only got one clicking noise in the relay compartment area. It turned out to be a
loose connection under my start inhibit relay. Took me about 4 hours to figure
that one out. To check it, just try turning the key while jiggling the relay.
You may even have to try and get your fingers underneath the relay to make sure
those connections are made. Hope this helps.
Matthew Gailey 3946

Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 08:11:45 -0700
From: Hank Breer <hbreer_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Memphis Show 2002

If you think this is a wonderful idea, like I do; why not offer to
give some of them rides ( with our doors even those w/ IVs can ride as
they are on wheels also. We might have to drive slowly but the cars
are great at doing that.
 Does anyone have a Polaroid, we could take a photo of each child or
teen in car and insert it into a paper sleeve with the date and a
little bit of info on the car written on it.
 I suggested this to the City of Hope out here but haven't heard back
yet. They plan so many things to keep the kids spirits up that 2 years
isn't all that long. That's the problem out here finding a free
weekend, for the kids not me and Hank.

mimi
#1141 (official cleaner of small spaces)