From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2000 2:52 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 126

1. Re: Re: DeLorean on Ebay
From: "Scott Cagle" <sharkywtrs_at_dml_charter.net>

2. Re: More on Auto Transmission and the Transmission Governor
From: Bob Brandys <oehcs_at_dml_flash.net>

3. Re: DeLorean on Ebay
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

4. Re: Delorean at Cleveland tapes.
From: jettrink_at_dml_one.net

5. DMCNEWS Web updates
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

6. Re: Re: DeLorean on Ebay
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: Water Temp. & Fans
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

8. Front end vibration (Long)
From: David Sontos <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>

9. Re: Re: Aftermarket wheels
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

10. Re: Broken Angle Drive Repair
From: Trevor Johnson <comet6974_at_dml_juno.com>

11. Re: Yokohama Tire dealers
From: Richard Strecker <dmc1219_at_dml_one.net>

12. Re: Yokohama Tire dealers
From: "Sean Howley" <tsuyoi_at_dml_mindspring.com>

13. Alabama DeLoreans
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>

14. Fuel Tank Closing Plate
From: "Sean Howley" <tsuyoi_at_dml_mindspring.com>

15. ASI Tape Player
From: John Yeoman <theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Fuel Tank Closing Plate
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

17. Re: Fuel Tank Closing Plate
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

18. Re: Yokohama Tires (was dealers)
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

19. acceleration enrichment circuit
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

20. Frame epoxy
From: intelisens_at_dml_aol.com

21. delorean in washington business journal
From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Brake Dust Shields
From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 11:42:05 -0400
From: "Scott Cagle" <sharkywtrs_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean on Ebay

30,000? For an autograph?  Even if it is engraved in a car. Anyway, JZD's
autograph isn't that rare yet, as he's not one to shy away from signing. I
see this DMC being on there a long time.  And "doppy delorean fans"? Geez,
who does this guy really believe his target market is? Um, how
about..DELOREAN FANS?  Ugh.

Scott

Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 11:37:34 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <oehcs_at_dml_flash.net>
Subject: Re: More on Auto Transmission and the Transmission Governor

You have done some exceptionable work on trying to diagnosis and repair DMC
Trans computers.  Have you talked to PJ Grady about your work.  He seems like
the one who would  be interested in doing the electronic upgrade.

What would make this task simpler, would be to collect all of the failed
units.  this would provided the hoses, plugs, adapters etc  and greatly reduce
manufacturing costs.

I do not have a failed unit.  I did not install the factory trans cooler but
went with an external cooler.  Now I need to drive 20,000 miles.  I am also
very careful about charging the battery.  The aberant AC may not be good for
this circuit.

bob

Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 16:07:28 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean on Ebay

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_e...> wrote:
> I replied to this person politely correcting . . . . .  but is
valueble to a rare autograph collector.

Eric - Did you happen to tell the guy that JZD himself showed up at
Cleveland and would sign absolutely anything that a pen would write
on? Not exactly a rare-hard-to get autograph. And many poeple on the
list have mailed him objects to be signed in the past with very good
response.

Dave Swingle #5429

Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 12:47:33 -0400
From: jettrink_at_dml_one.net
Subject: Re: Delorean at Cleveland tapes.

Does anyone have video tapes of John Delorean at Cleveland or of
interview on
tv that they could copy for me?

Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 12:10:28 -0500
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: DMCNEWS Web updates

I've added the Cleveland Vanity Plate collection, as well as a couple more
technical articles extracted from the mailing list. I'm always looking for
more technical content, please submit anything you care to have made part of
the archive.

Still have not had time to update the Cleveland photos, but others are doing
a great job of this anyway.

Also - the DeLorean Mailing List archive is updated through July 7. It will
take a week or so for the off-site search engine to update, but the on-site
server search utility should be fine.

Dave Swingle
DMCNews Webmaster (I use the term "master" loosely)

Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 13:19:23 EDT
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

Fellow DMCer's,
The interesting part of this story is the engraving on the Delorean. I too
saw JZD signing lots os stuff at the show, but not engraving anything. Can
anyone give us more details? I don't see anyone shipping a part via mail with
an engraving tool and asking please sign this and return it to me.
Bruce Battles
Vin# 06569

Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 17:21:20 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Re: Water Temp. & Fans

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, "J Rowe" <rowejj_at_dml_n...> wrote:
>         At what temperature should the fans come on at? I don't
think that mine has
when I got out I had a lot of coolant pouring out of my radiator.
> I know that my fans weren't on when I got out and the temperature
was working on
> getting about 220 degrees.

Fans should come on just above the mark on the guage that is centered
between the 100 and 220 marks. I believe the otterstat is rated at
190deg but don't hold me to it. Your bigger problem is that you are
losing water from the radiator - there is NO drain or overflow up
there, so a minimum you have a severely leaky hose, could be a failed
radiator side tank. It is never normal to have water running out
anywhere but the coolant tank overflow at the right rear of the car
(and even that is a sign of stress).

Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 13:59:20 -0400
From: David Sontos <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>
Subject: Front end vibration (Long)

I knew my front tires were getting worn when we took the trip up to
Cleveland and the first rain storm we hit pretty much confirmed that
when the front end decided to take its own path after hitting the first
big puddle. And we were also limited by the fact that the car would
vibrate over 60 MPH. So one of the first tasks after we returned to
Virginia was get new tires on the front and get a wheel alignment.

Having the new tires mounted and balanced the Merchants store does a
"Free" alignment check, which cost me $39 because I knew it was off.
After rolling out of the Merchants store I headed up to the freeway to
test out the new front tires. Well, we made it up to 62 MPH this time
and the vibration was back. Next step dial indicator check. According to
the manual you are allowed 0.080" runout on the wheels. I borrowed a
dial indicator from work and checked the drivers side wheel, about
0.018", OK. Next checked the passenger wheel, 0.065", wow. I noticed the
low and high points on the passenger wheel and they were right in line
with the lug nuts. I removed the tire and and rotated it 180 degrees on
the axial to see if the runout was the wheel or the axial. Retightened
the lugs and checked the runout, it was still on the same place on the
wheel which eliminated the axial. The low spot was directly at one lug.
I had some 0.010" shim stock available so I made a shim for the one lug
position on the axial. Remounted the wheel so the low spot was on the
shim and retightened the lugs, check the runout with the dial indicator
and runout was now 0.012", fantastic.

Time for a test ride. Hit the freeway and again still had vibration but
it felt different this time, not only was the steering wheel shaking but
the whole car seemed to be shaking. Lets put the dial indicator on the
rear tires. Jack the car back up again and both rear wheels are only
0.015-0.020" out. Rats, I thought for sure I had it nailed this time.
Well the only thing left to check was the rear wheel balance. Now I just
had this done last year some time and I didn't put that many miles on it
since. Ok, take off the rear wheels and lug them down to the store to
check the balance.

Picked up the rear wheels and noticed something right away, one wheel
had two giant weights where it only had one before, now I was anxious to
get home and get them mounted back on the car.

Have you married folk ever noticed that when you are right at the point
of making a major breakthrough that your spouse is always calling you
for dinner. Anyway after woofing down something my wife made I was back
out to the garage to finish mounting the wheels. Dropped the car off the
jack stands and headed for the freeway. Of course I hit every red light
there was on the way. Turned onto the freeway and started accelerating,
50....60....65.....70.....75........ Yahoo, smooth as silk

Hope you enjoyed my story and maybe gave some ideas of where to look for
your front end problem.

Dave Sontos

Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 14:21:45 EDT
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: Re: Aftermarket wheels

Rob Grady has a very nice set on his Emerald DeLorean.

Michael

Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 12:51:32 -0700
From: Trevor Johnson <comet6974_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Broken Angle Drive Repair

I don't know the exact procedure but the angle drive can, in some cases
be repaired, i.e. if the unit has simply become loose after 19 years. you
basically have to reattach the separated pieces.
Trevor Johnson
#6974 and soon to be 4???

Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 16:09:02 -0400
From: Richard Strecker <dmc1219_at_dml_one.net>
Subject: Re: Yokohama Tire dealers

I have suddenly entered the market for new rear tires (tread separation
on one).

Which variety of Yokohama ?  What's second best?

Richard

Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 17:40:52 -0400
From: "Sean Howley" <tsuyoi_at_dml_mindspring.com>

I know that this does not exactly answer your question, but when I bought my
Yoko's, I ended up buying them through Sears (and had them install, balance,
etc.).  After looking at the prices for ordering them from Tire Rack (and a
couple of other places) and then adding the prices for installation, etc.
the prices were within a few dollars (+/- $5).  As it turns out - and some
places might be different - the cost of installing tires supplied by the
customer is higher than the same installation with the same tires supplied
by the installer.  Doesn't make much sense to me, but that is what caused
the prices to be so similar.

In short, I ended up paying a slightly higher price for the tires while
having a slightly lower price for the installation and each essentially
offset the other.

Sean Howley
VIN#2345

Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 16:54:56 -0500
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Alabama DeLoreans

Hi Group!

Yesterday I saw a DeLorean at Fort Quarles-Flowers here in Decatur, AL.
The license plate number was one from the Birmingham area.
If anyone knows who this car belongs to, or if the owner is on the list,
please contact me, and we can talk about the cars. I work very near the
armory, probably 1000 feet behind the place.

I've tracked down nearly all the DeLoreans that are located in my area!
Pretty fun thing to do!

Thanks,
Robert
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 18:05:24 -0400
From: "Sean Howley" <tsuyoi_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: Fuel Tank Closing Plate

I am needing to remove the fuel tank closing plate (the triangular plate bolted to the frame under the fuel tank).  Is there anything I need to do before I unbolt it?  Additional support, etc.  Also, is there a special method to removing it or is it as straight forward as it looks?

Thanks,

Sean Howley
VIN#2345

Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 15:24:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: John Yeoman <theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: ASI Tape Player

My ASI tape player is not functioning properly.  When
I insert a tape that is
not completely rewound to the beginning, the indicator
that the tape is playing
on side b lights up, and it proceeds to fast forward
to the end of the front side
of the tape.  If I want to listen to a tape that is
not rewound, I have to insert it
with the back side up, so it will be fast forwarded to
the beginning of the front
side, so I then can place the tape in right side up,
and the tape will play
normally as long as it is right at the beginning.
This wasn't very convienient
at the Road Rally in Cleveland.  But after the picture
at the Garfield Memorial,
the tape started playing without fast forwarding.
Could this be a bad relay in the
player that only functions properly at warm
temperatures?  Has anyone else
ever had this problem with their ASI player, and is
there any way to fix it
without buying a new player?  Thanks in advance.

http://mail.yahoo.com/

Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 22:33:40 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Tank Closing Plate

As long as the gas tank is not too full, just take it off. The tank
is supported by the plate, but it is wedged in there pretty tight.

Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 18:36:56 EDT
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

Hey Sean,

    When I removed my fuel tank, I already had the frame off the body so I
guess it was easier for me to do.  It is relatively a straight forward
process.  After you remove the bolts holding the tank in place, it shouldn't
just FALL right down on you (at least mine didn't).  Mine was really wedged
in place by the cooling pipes and the rub strips protecting the cooling
pipes.  Also I might add that my tank still had about 8 gallons of gas in it
when I removed it.  It took a lot of pusing down on the top of it to finally
get it to fall out.  Hope that helps you some.

Later,
Nick

Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 19:34:13 -0500
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>
Subject: Re: Yokohama Tires (was dealers)

The Yokohama AVS Intermediate is the one you want. That model has both the
195/60-14 and the 235/60-15 needed for the DeLorean.

Very few tires from any manufacturer have both the front and rear DeLorean
sizes available. You want to stay with a matched set of 4 for best
handling. Having different levels of grip on the front and back can cause
problems when driving in bad weather, or at the limit on dry pavement. If
you don't drive near the limit, or in bad weather, then it won't matter much.

I can't really comment on the 2nd best, as I haven't tested anything other
than the Yokohama on my DeLorean. Other tires that I really like aren't
available in the sizes needed.

Mark N
VIN 6820

Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 22:27:25 EDT
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: acceleration enrichment circuit

Hello List,
    today was quite an embarassing day.  I backed the DeLorean out to clean
the garage and got it out into the road and it quit.  I tried everything to
get it started, jumped the pump, jumped the cold start valve, etc.  I finally
had to ask our new neighbors to help me push it into the garage.  luckily I
received NO cocaine or "i knew those were junk" coments.
    The car would start up and then shake and shut off very quickly.  I
noticed that the acceleration enrichment circuit wasnt buzzing when I started
the car anymore.  I cleaned the contacts and checked the wiring and it was
fine. Does this unit fail very often?  how can I test it to see if it still
works?  is there a way to jump it?  every relay in my car is removed except
the main fuel and start inhibit relay while it is having the interior
restored.  I dont beleive it is relayed, or am i wrong?  any info would be
greatly appreciated.
    I had the same problem with my acceleration enrichment circuit last month
but it turned out to be a torn wire.  the car behaved just like it does now.
oh, and the #1 and number #7 fuses are fine.  any help would be GREATLY
appreciated/

#2496-100% interior restoration

Thanks in advance

Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 02:53:47 -0000
From: intelisens_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Frame epoxy

I understand that there was a new process used on the 1983 Deloreon
frames that prevented corrosion. I heard that the epoxy used on the
1981-82 models had a tendency to crack resulting in water becoming
trapped beneath the epoxy layers leading to corrosion of the frame. I
heard the coating process was changed for the 1983 models. Is this
true? Thank you

Daniel Cole

Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 20:02:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: delorean in washington business journal

If your in the DC area check out this weeks washington
business journal, they feature my delorean :).

-Cliff Andrews

http://mail.yahoo.com/

Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 16:48:34 -0400
From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>
Subject: Brake Dust Shields

Are the brake dust shields a good or bad idea for our cars.  I know the
issue of heat build up is one of concern but is it *really* that much of
a problem?  I am *so* tired of cleaning off the dust build up on my rims
that I am considering purchasing the shield to thwart off the
accumulation.   Here in Maine there are no stop and go traffic issues as
was the case in Los Angeles.  So would this be a deciding factor?
Where can you purchase these shield?

I'd appreciate opinions.

Tom