From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2000 2:47 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 140

1. RE: Reliable, Automatic D wanted
From: "Daniel McGauley" <hawkeye_at_dml_creativeworlds.com>

2. Re: JZD's Corvair Involvement. (was: D's for sale (kinda silly))
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

3. Re: My good road trip experience!
From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Theft Survey.. just curious
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>

5. Re: My good road trip experience!
From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Other Gull Wing sports cars
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

7. Re: Theft Survey
From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: microswitch and idleing
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

9. Re: Windscreen Prices
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

10. Re: Overheating...hot...hot...hot!!
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

11. RE:Purflux Oil filters
From: "Fr_at_dml_nk Lommen" <j.m.s.c.lommen_at_dml_hccnet.nl>

12. Control Pressure Regulator Question
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

13. JZD meets Doc Brown
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: The Delorean Fall Foliage Tour
From: "Michael DeLuca" <mdeluca_at_dml_comtechpst.com>

15. Re: Other Gull Wing sports cars
From: bluevelvet420_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: Other Gull Wing sports cars
From: "Professor Frink" <diashi_c_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Re: Other Gull Wing sports cars
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

18. Re: Other Gull Wing sports cars
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

19. Re: Other Gull Wing sports cars
From: jvdmc12_at_dml_aol.com

20. Non-DeLorean items
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

21. Re: Other Gull Wing sports cars
From: "Rob Hook" <robhook_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

22. JZD's Patents (was: Re: Other Gull Wing sports cars)
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

23. Re: Control Pressure Regulator Question
From: "Chris Coplen" <blarness_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 00:05:56 -0500
From: "Daniel McGauley" <hawkeye_at_dml_creativeworlds.com>
Subject: RE: Reliable, Automatic D wanted

Hi Bruce,

Here's some info on my A/T in Chicago.

http://www.deloreanmovie.com/ebay/delorean/delorean.html

-Daniel

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 05:09:43 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: JZD's Corvair Involvement. (was: D's for sale (kinda silly))

Yes, John DeLorean was involved with the Corvair. The relationship
was not about engineering though. Before the Corvair entered
production, it had horrible results on the test track. Drivers were
flipping the cars upside down. The solution to cure it was to have an
anti-sway bar installed. The cost to GM: $8.00 additional for every
car. The 14th floor felt it was too expesive even though GM analysts
predicted a large death toll for Corvair drivers. JZD and others
decided to fight top brass on the ethics of the issue of profit vs.
human lives. But the anti-sway bar wasn't installed untill after
Ralph Nader wrote his famous book "Unsafe at any speed" about the
Corvair, and by this time the car had already claimed a huge number
of lives. All of this is from the book "On a clear day you can see
General Motors." I don't know if it still has the record, but I
believe at the time, the Corvair had the worst death rate of any car
on the road.

I've never seen any designs, or even a prototype such as
the "Banshee", but I have been told that the Fiero was a JZD concept
from his Pontiac days. Given JZD's, "Bunkie" Knudson's, and Ed Cole's
taste in sports cars & personal feelings, it's probably true. But
more than likely wasn't allowed into production due to office
politics. Though it probably looked alot different then...

<SNIP>

Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 22:21:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: My good road trip experience!

They are Recaros from a porshe boxster, ask danrc30
about the brackets he made them before i got there.. i
think he spend considerable amount of time wielding
and designing.

im going to get a site with pics up soon.

http://mail.yahoo.com/

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 05:21:01 -0000
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Re: Theft Survey.. just curious

I just recently bought two parts Deloreans.  They became parts
Deloreans because two people stole them (from the same lot at the
same time) and crashed one, and set the other on fire.  On the one
they crashed they took a crowbar to the drivers door and bent it out
until they could get to the lock. (wouldn't it have been easier to
just break the windows?  I'm not sure how the other one was broken
into since all I have of it is the pontoons, engine, and the panels.
I found out that this happened in 1982 when the company went out of
business.  It was stated that the people/car company who owned these
two Deloreans wanted their insurance money for them because they
didn't think they could sell them.  So they had two people break into
them (start the cars with the key...can you be more stupid?  think
about that one.) then crash one, and 1 mile down the road set the
other on fire.  And all this happend 10 miles from my house.  Thank
goodness I was only 3 when it happend.
I've been getting a TON of requests for parts.  at least 30 e-mails a
day for the past 3 days.  I've been trying to keep everything
organized as to who has requested what.  Please be patient with me.

Thanks.

Erik Geerdink

p.s
I temporarily put pictures in the vault of what my basement looks
like.  If you see something there that you are interested in, please
let me know.  Once I get a homepage up that has pictures, i will
delete the vault folder.

Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 22:23:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 05:24:21 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Other Gull Wing sports cars

Every now and then car companies come up with concept cars that have
gullwing doors. And as everyone knows they can't really be put into
production because JZD owns the patents for "Roof Hinged Doors." I
can't find the pictures, but Hyundai (yes Hyundai of all people!)
have figured out a way around the patent. They have a luxury car/limo
with gull wings, but the hinges are mounted in the rear support
pillars rather then the roof. The result is a door that opens up and
backwards _at_dml_ a 40° angle. Kind of like a gullwing/suicide door
combination. While the car itself is not DeLorean related, the odd
ball door design is. Plus Hyundai has already made 500 unpainted
aluminium Tiburons, and is looking for a way to offer aluminium on
future luxury & sports cars. Though not quite our stainless steel
beauties from Belfast, we could one day see rust-proof gullwings in
the showroom again. Just some interesting tidbits I thought I'd share.

Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 22:26:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Theft Survey

When i bought my 82 last year the previous owner said
it had been stolen at some point of its life. Anyone
wana run a carfax on my vin? Shoot me a email. Thanks!

-Cliff Andrews
#10854

Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 23:49:13 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: microswitch and idleing

Dave,

Thank you for your detailed discription of your problem, it has helped me to
nail down your problem. This may take a couple of steps before you can
completely solve your problem, start by replacing the lambda relay. Parts
manual 3 / 7 / 0 #12

"We're here to help you"

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 00:00:37 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Windscreen Prices

Our windshields are priced at $396.25

"We're here to help you"

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 01:51:46 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Overheating...hot...hot...hot!!

Jared,

There is no problem with the stock cooling fans, it's the electrical circuit
that controls them that is faulty. The factory installed fan fail relay has
an extremely
high failure rate and the accompanying circuit breaker is under rated. What
makes the Fanzilla so popular is its ease of installation and reliability.
We have installed hundreds of Fanzilla's with no failures.

"We're here to help you"

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 18:13:35 +0200
From: "Fr_at_dml_nk Lommen" <j.m.s.c.lommen_at_dml_hccnet.nl>
Subject: RE:Purflux Oil filters

I don't know what an oil-filter costs in the U.S.A., but I can supply them
for about
	U.S. $ 15.-, shipping noet included. Feel free to mail, if you need some.
The only filter
	Designed for the PRV-engine. Fits perfectly, no bending of any parts.

	Frank Lommen
	Dmc.frenkie_at_dml_home.nl

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 16:36:07 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Control Pressure Regulator Question

_at_dml_ the book store the other day I was thumbing thru the BOSCH
handbook, and I came across an interesting item. It stated that on
the K-Jetronic system, the roll of the control pressure regulator (or
"Warm Up Regulator" as it was called in the book) is to asist the
engine in warming up, and that it can be fitted as a fuel enrichment
circuit (vaccum lines). Another thing that it stated was that it can
be used to adjust fuel mixture for high altitudes. The emissions info
sticker on my car shows readings for up to 4000 feet altitude, but
the info stickers on the 82's say all settings are preset _at_dml_ the
factory, and are good at any altitude. Is there a differance in the
fuel injection system between the 81 & 82 models?

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:56:42 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: JZD meets Doc Brown

In the July 2000 "Inc." magazine is an article with a familiar sounding
storyline:  A brilliant and much married engineer makes and spends millions
as he pursues his dream of a radical car with awesome winged styling, unique
features, and, he hopes broad appeal. He gets no support from sneering
automakers,  spends small and large fortunes (mostly other people's money,)
on r & d and semifunctional prototypes, until at last he has a fully
functional version. Sound familiar?  No, it's not about John De Lorean.
Oh, by the way, it can drive down the road, hover, or fly. Souned like Doc
Brown?  Nope.  It's Paul Moller, a guy who seems like a combination of both,
who really HAS built a flying car.  Maybe 40 years from now, our
grandchildren will be arguing what's better... a De Lorean or a Skycar.  I
have no interest in the company- just couldn't help seeing the similarities.

-Wayne
11174
"Flyin' at 5 1/2 inches off the ground!"

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 17:32:44 -0000
From: "Michael DeLuca" <mdeluca_at_dml_comtechpst.com>
Subject: Re: The Delorean Fall Foliage Tour

From: pantera74l_at_dml_aol.com

There is no information in this email about the location.
Could you tell us a little please.

The Delorean Fall Foliage Tour will be Oct 20-22 (Fri-Sun).
We will be staying in Westerly Road Island at the Pleasant View Inn
(on the Ocean) http://www.pvinn.com/ Phone 1-800 782-3224.
This trip will includes a stop in Mystic CT, a visit to Newport RI
where I have made arrangements to display the cars on the beach, a
trip to the Casino in Connecticut in the evening, a visit to the
Submarine Museum in Connecticut and a dinner in Westerly (near the
Hotel) at Maria's Seaside Café ($35 per person). The trip also
includes a Tech Session at the hotel with Guest speaker Rob Grady.
Note: I am trying to get Bob the designer of the famous Zilla products
      to attend an also talk about them but that is still pending.

It looks like Deloreans from Seven States so far will be attending
(PA, NJ, NY, CT, MA, RI and NH). There should be a group of DeLoreans
starting as far south as the Philadelphia area. The route will be
I-95 through New Jersey and New York and Connecticut. I will try to
set up a few meeting places along the way once I get an idea of who
will be attending (coming from Long Island I will probably join in at
one of the first rest stops on I-95 in CT).
People coming from the North may want to contact Eleanor Rogers of
Deloreans of New England group who will be attending or contact me
and I'll try to help set up a caravan for the New England people.

Gary Gore the activities director of Mid Atlantic was kind enough to
post the Itinerary, check it out at
http://hometown.aol.com/delorean31/fall.html

If you think you would like to attend contact me at
mdeluca_at_dml_comtechpst.com Please make your own hotel reservation as soon
as possible, we have a special rate of $90.40 but you must mention
you are with the Delorean group. I will start collecting the $35 per
person registration fee next month (that is to cover a complete sit
down dinner at the restaurant BTW)

Regards,

Mike D.
Vin 3113
NY lic. DLORIANN

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 17:45:14 EDT
From: bluevelvet420_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Other Gull Wing sports cars

its sad that hyundai was able to find a way around the patent problem and not
porsche or another company.  lamborghini also has interesting doors but i
have never been able to check them out up close, does anyone know anything
about them?
aluminum is worse than stainless steel, although i can see how it is more
practical.  easier to mold, press, repair, and lighter.  but i think that
people who are like me arent really interested in practicality all the time.
just my thoughts
-greg

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 22:00:35 GMT
From: "Professor Frink" <diashi_c_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Yeah, Ive been in a few countachs and diablos - the doors aren't really that
special; you have to life them manually, not that they're heavy, but they
dont have the same flair as the gulwings and don't draw as big as crowd as
the DeLo.. we were _at_dml_ a show with 19 Ds next to loads of Ferraris, dodge
vipers, etc, even 2 (real) F40s and a bugatti EB110, and the Ds too centre
stage :)

They're also a nightmare to get into. Re: the other door design, thats on
the £634,000 McLaren F1 coupe and the Toyota Sera... just a thought, as the
Sera is about £13,000...

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 18:14:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 bluevelvet420_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

> its sad that hyundai was able to find a way around the patent problem

Any patent that JZD has to cover the gullwing doors would have expired by
now.  Other carmakers' lack of desire to build gull-wing cars is just
because they don't want to bother with them or don't think they would be
popular or some business reason like that - not legal issues.

If it weren't for the ingenuity of small, foreign, unpopular automakers,
we wouldn't have DeLoreans (or my other favorite car, the RX-7).  There's
nothing "sad" about what Hyundai is doing.

> and not porsche or another company.  lamborghini also has interesting

BMW and Mercedes also have gullwing prototypes - real gullwings.  I think
Hyundai is just doing something unique.

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 01:27:56 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, bluevelvet420_at_dml_a... wrote:
<SNIP>
> aluminum is worse than stainless steel, although i can see how it
is more
> practical.  easier to mold, press, repair, and lighter.  but i
think that
> people who are like me arent really interested in practicality all
the time.
> just my thoughts
> -greg

When comparing aluminium to stainless steel, SS is much more
practical! Hyundai gave a brief summary of how they had to make the
body panels (keep in mind that this is for a '98 Tiburon body style).
Since aluminium doesn't bend that well, they had to stamp out about 8
or so individual panels, then weld them all together just to make one
fender! Hyundai's opinion: Although the design greatly improves gas
milage, it's not practical for mass production. Maybe on rally &
special edition cars, but not for anything else. Plus in the long
run, it isn't as attractive to look at as SS. Why no one since
DeLorean has used SS seems pretty obvious. No one wants to be a copy
cat, and it wouldn't rust; one less reason to buy a new car! With
that said, since this is everything that's DeLorean related, the
thread seems to be pretty much over.

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 21:22:13 EDT
From: jvdmc12_at_dml_aol.com

Just out of curiosity and wonders, how would John DeLorean hold a patent on
gull wing doors in which he did have the 1st concept??  There is the glorious
1957 (i believe the year was) Mercedes 300SL Gullwing, and then there is
Malcom Bricklin's 1974-75 SV-1 , all which were produced before the DeLorean
car....  i give credit without doubt that JZD's gullwing doors on the DMC-12
are nearly the best designed in measurements and space needed to open the
doors, But yet still i have seen many articles even with kit cars containing
Gullwing doors, any further info. to justify if JZD truely hold such a patent?

-Jeff Valenta

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 20:47:24 -0500
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Non-DeLorean items

Let's keep the items on the list DeLorean related. I know it's easy to begin
discussions that wander off the DeLorean subject line but as moderator I
need to remind you that this is specificaly a DeLorean Mailing List.

Bruce Benson, this week's moderator

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 21:54:25 -0700
From: "Rob Hook" <robhook_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

JZD DOES have a patent on the DeLorean's door mechanisms.  It is
patent#4,378,658 and, ironically, wasn't granted until April 5,1983.  Here
is the part of the patent that applies:

================
1. In combination:

a vehicle body;

a door;

a pair of hinges disposed on a common hinge axis, for mounting said door on
said vehicle body for movement between a closed position and an open
position, each hinge having a mounting plate, a hinge plate and a pin
mounted on said axis and in said mounting plate with said hinge plate
pivoted thereon;

means securing said mounting plate to said vehicle body;

at least one bolt securing each respective hinge plate to said door frame,
said bolt having a projecting head for abutting said vehicle in a recessed
manner in a closed position of said door; and

a torsion bar having one end secured to said door and another end secured to
said vehicle body biasing said door toward said open position.

===========================
There are other parts but they are references to and modifications of the
above.  This does not give JZD patent rights to all gull-wing doors but does
give him rights to the way it is done on the DeLorean.  Specifically, the
torsion bar mechanism.

--Rob Hook

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 01:48:33 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: JZD's Patents (was: Re: Other Gull Wing sports cars)

Yes there is. If you search the arcihives & back issues you will find
a link to the US patenet office online. From here it will tell you of
every single patent that JZD himself owns (roof hinged doors, swash
plate engine, etc...), and the patents for designs that GM owns, yet
credit in the description is given to JZD as the engineer. While the
Mercedes 300SL, and the Bricklin both have gullwings, the companies
didn't bother to patent the idea _at_dml_ the time. Remember Alexander Grahm
Bell didn't invent the telephone, he just beat the guy who did to the
patent office! Yes there are kit cars that have gullwings, though
maybe only 2-3 in production currently and/or after the patent was
granted to the John Z. De Lorean Corp. back in '75 I think. Why
doesn't JZD sue? Well, if you were planing on building a new company
(or reviving an old one) how bad would it look for you to sue a few
small companies? Your finacial gain wouldn't make up for the loss of
positive public opinion.

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 22:20:58 -0400
From: "Chris Coplen" <blarness_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Control Pressure Regulator Question

I recently bought this book you speak of and it does not detail the fuel
injection system as it is set up on the DeLorean.  It mostly covers the
Bosch-K and K-Lambda found on VWs.  As well it doesn't reference much on the
K system as old as 81-83.  It covers mostly newer K systems.

Chris
See the car _at_dml_...
http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/michdeloclub/main/cchoplen.htm