From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Saturday, August 05, 2000 2:27 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 157

1. Re: Garage Door Opener Dilemma Solved!
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

2. Delorean web sites
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

3. non automatic
From: Paul Breuninger <paulb_at_dml_mc.net>

4. Re: Re: Project Delorean Site Updated
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

5. Re: Garage Door Opener Dilemma Solved!
From: "Scott Cagle" <sharkywtrs_at_dml_charter.net>

6. new to list...questions
From: "Jeff " <essayons07_at_dml_juno.com>

7. Question about engine selection
From: "Hank Eskin" <heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

8. Re: Garage Door Opener Dilemma Solved!
From: "mike/russ" <mike_at_dml_mrcopies.com>

9. Re: new to list...questions
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. Re: Question about engine selection
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

11. Re: Question about engine selection
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

12. Engine Upgarde (Was: Project...)
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

13. SF Bay area owners!
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Doors
From: alarmer1_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: Doors
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

16. interior light for sale
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>

17. RE: SF Bay area owners!
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

18. (unknown)
From: Jonathan Miller <betaray_at_dml_kludge.org>

19. Re: Garage Door Opener Dilemma Solved!
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:07:47 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Garage Door Opener Dilemma Solved!

I have a Craftsman garage door opener, and fond another place for it.
If you remove the clip from off the back, it fits neatly between the
gearshift boot and the lip of the center console. Though I do like
your idea as well.

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 00:07:59 -0500
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Delorean web sites

I just started getting into HTML a few days ago and managed to slap together
a home page, including one in honor of my favorite car.  While doing so I
discovered the Delorean Web Ring and joined.  (A "Web Ring" is a list of
sites with similar content, where each site links to the next...thus a
"ring".)

While I was doing that, I looked at the statistics page and discovered that
amongst car-oriented Web Rings, our fair Delorean ranks 95th.  Some of the
more notable rings that outrank us:

Rank    Hits   Sites

 3.    97065    147  The Turbo Regal Web Ring
 8.    60586    172  Moped web-ring
11.    53062    104  Early Bronco Web Ring
15.    46108    371  Volvo Lovers' Webring
23.    36902    153  Vintage Farm Tractor Ring
51.    24703    140  Kit Cars On The Internet
53.    23504     95  89-99 Taurus SHOring
54.    23465    154  Lotus Cars Webring
67.    19594     97  Trikes
71.    19092    210  Exotic Cars WebRing
72.    19034     88  Studebaker Web Ring
81.    15232    159  Antique Automobile Web Ring
86.    15106    331  Classic Cars Webring
93.    14027     52  Cop Car Web Ring
94.    13953     44  Australian Chryslers
95.    13605     59 *DeLorean Web-Ring*
99.    12990     44  Volkswagen Thing Ring

I've seen many people promoting their Delorean web site here on the list.  I
say you get on the Ring!  Visit the Delorean Web Ring Home Page at:

  http://www.angelfire.com/pa/NGWPN/DeLorean.html

Lets help promote our cars on the 'net.

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN# 4695
http://home.austin.rr.com/gus/delorean

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 00:36:54 -0500
From: Paul Breuninger <paulb_at_dml_mc.net>
Subject: non automatic

Greetings All,

In the past week got an automatic (built MAR81) that only goes automatic
after warm up.

Can anyone point me in the direction to find the cure?

Thanks for your time.

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 01:17:40 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Project Delorean Site Updated

Erik,

In 1976 the PRV-6 was available as a carburetor-fed fuel system, designated as the B-27A at 125hp. This model was primarily used in the Volvo 265 in the UK, Europe, and Canada until 1978 when fuel injection started to take over. In 1979 the B-28A was introduced with a slightly higher output at 129hp. Although the B-28A carburetor versions were built and marketed for Canada and Europe there was some limited use in North America.

The Bosch CIS fuel injection system was introduced to the US market in 1979 and designated as the B-27F at 125hp. In 1980 the Volvo B-28F made its debut at 130hp. In late 1980 several improvements were made and this is the model used in all DeLorean's.

As you can see the fuel injected models provide more output; but more importantly, they are more efficient in the category of fuel consumption and lower emissions.
For the record; the last PRV-6 was introduced in late 1987 as the B-280F, several additional improvements and a new fuel management system boosted the horsepower to 245hp. This engine was last used in the Volvo 760 GLE in 1990.

As many of you already know my DeLorean PRV has over 260K miles and my Volvo 760 PRV just hit 162K miles.

"We're here to help you"

Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 09:15:42 -0400
From: "Scott Cagle" <sharkywtrs_at_dml_charter.net>

Genie also makes a opener that's quite small, even small enough to clip on
what passes as a sun visor.

Scott

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 14:27:27 -0000
From: "Jeff " <essayons07_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: new to list...questions

First a short history...my father bought a an automatic 81 Delorean
about 13 years ago.  He drove the car for about 5 years until the
transmission decided to shop shifting into 3rd.  The car sat for
about 6 years.  My brother brought the car to his house, replaced the
transmission control unit and rebuilt most of the fuel injection
system.  The transmission was still not shifting right, and at times
lost all gears.  My brother got a new job, moved, and returned the
car to my father.  Every once and a while my brother would come home
and try to fix the car.  One day the transmission miraculously healed
itself (yeah right).  The car could be driven for a number of miles
with no problem.  My father began driving the car every once in a
while but it still sat the majority of the time.  When I sold my car
my father told me to drive the Delorean...now...the problem...

I attempted to drive the car from Chas SC to Savannah GA.  The car
did fine for about 2 hours worth of driving...then the trans began to
shift out of 3rd...then out of 2nd.  If I stopped the car, cut it
off, and let it sit for a few minutes I could get a mile or 2 out of
it.  I thought the car would not lose 1st...until I stopped at a
traffic light...had to push the car over to a curb, let it sit for a
minute...then go.  I was able to make it to a parking garage near my
workplace.

I checked the trans fluid this morning.  There is a cold, warm, and
hot identifier on the dipstick.  When the car was cold the level was
way above the cold mark...up on the flexible part of the dipstick.
When I started the car the fluid level barely showed on the
dipstick.  Is the cold mark incorrect?  I would think it would read
higher cold than warm since the fluid is just sitting in the pan, not
being pumped around.  If I add more fluid the level will be that much
higher when cold.  I always heard you never check an automatic trans
level when cold...only when warm and while the engine is running.

Thanks for any advice
Jeff

Oh yeah...the neighbor across the street from my parents has a "dead"
Delorean.  It has been sitting under a cover for the past few
years.

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 10:36:21 -0400
From: "Hank Eskin" <heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Question about engine selection

I've had a nagging question about the PRV engine selection... I know John
wanted a European engine, but weren't there any alternatives that produced
more than 130 HP at the time?  Not that I'm at all complaining about it, but
it just seems that in the late 70's there would have been higher output
engines available from Europe that just had alot more umph to them.

-Hank #1619

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 10:50:26 -0400
From: "mike/russ" <mike_at_dml_mrcopies.com>

Hi Guys -

I wired my garage door opener to an extra defrost switch and replaced one of
the dummy switches in the console.  I painted the extra defrost switch matte
black and it
matches the other buttons perfect.  You'd swear it was just the fake dummy
switch.
Now all I need is a switch stencil with an open garage door on it. :)

mike_at_dml_mrcopies.com
VIN#17089
Windsor, Ontario

www.mydelorean.com

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 16:22:16 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: new to list...questions

The trans fluid is checked in the following manner;
If possible drive the car until it reaches operating temp
park on level ground and shut off the motor.
Remove the trans dipstick and feel the fluid with your fingers, it
should be smooth and slippery, ie: no grit and should not smell burnt
it should also have at least a tinge of color NOT BLACK. Wipe off the
dipstick and reinsert with the engine running and the trans in park.
Remove the dipstick and check both sides to determine the level. It
should be between the hot and the cold marks. If above remove some
and
if below add some. If you do not know how long it has been since last
changed and it doesn't look like new just change. It will not all
come
out (only about 3 qts) and you will need a new filter and pan gasket.
When you take the pan down if there is alot of friction materiel or
any metal then you will have to consider replacing or rebuilding the
trans. If it's clean and you put it all back together check all of
the
adjustments to the shift computer and the line pressure. If you still
have shift problems then you will have to repair or replace the shift
computer.

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 12:24:41 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Question about engine selection

Hank,

Yes, there were several other engine options available, the problem was that in order for the engine to be certified for US emissions it would have to go through a 50k mile certification test which would have severely delayed the entire project. Keep in mind that the engine options were limited due to the configuration (rear engine/rear drive) required for the DeLorean.

The PRV-6 which met the physical requirements and was well proven for reliability was already US certified due to its Volvo and Peugeot applications. The EPA only required a 5k mile certification run for approval in the DeLorean which meant that they could get the car into production in a timely manner.

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 18:38:51 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> The PRV-6 which met the physical requirements and was well proven
>for reliability was already US certified due to its Volvo and Peugeot
>applications. The EPA only required a 5k mile certification run for
>approval in the DeLorean which meant that they could get the car into
>production in a timely manner.

I would also suspect that the "reversible" nature of the off-the-
shelf transmission being used (i.e. front or rear drive selectable by
flipping over the ring gear assembly) had something to do with it, I
do not believe that the transmission/engine mate-up design was unique
to the DeLorean application. In other words, to use this
transmission the choice of engines was very limited. There are not
very many rear-drive transaxle designs around, seems to me a Porsche
design would have been about the only alternative at the time and
would have dictated a different kind of engine or some sort of
adapter. And probably cost more.

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 15:19:47 -0400
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>
Subject: Engine Upgarde (Was: Project...)

Can the new 760 GLE upgrades be transferred to the DMC?

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 19:30:10 -0000
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: SF Bay area owners!

Hi everybody,
I am visiting San Francisco for the summer (again) with some friends,
one of which has never seen a DeLorean, but is very interested in
them. I was wondering if any owner in the bay area would be willing
show their car to us, and allow us to take some photos, etc.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Best Wishes,
John Dore, Ireland
PS Are there any DeLorean shows coming up in Northern CA?

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 15:08:23 EDT
From: alarmer1_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Doors

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know the proper procedure on adjusting the torsion bar on the
doors, I'm trying to find out if I need to adjust the tension or buy new lift
shocks, the old ones seem to be pretty strong.
I checked all my local auto part stores for new lift shocks, but no one has
any listing for a Delorean, found some that looked like a perfect match, but
I'm not sure if it is rated the same force as the Delorean part.
TIA,

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 19:39:18 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Re: Doors

The proper doors shocks are only obtainable from any of the DeLorean
vendors - they are a custom-made DeLorean reproduction part. Change
them before adjusting the doors unless you KNOW they are less than 2-
3 years old.

The original shocks have date-codes on them, something like 13-81
implies 13th week of 1981 or similar. Reproduction shocks may have
the date code or may be unlabeled.

I'll let Joe jump in on the doors, but in my opinion the adjusting
procedure is vulnerable enough to mistake that it would be improper
to verbally detail here. Best thing is to learn by personal
observation from someone who has done it. Second best thing is with
pictures. The cost of doing it wrong is high (window/roof/both).

Dave

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 19:31:34 -0000
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: interior light for sale

I have the front and rear interior lights for sale.  They appear to
be in good condition.  I took them out of my parts car.  If anyone is
interested please let me know.

Erik Geerdink

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 14:37:32 -0700
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: RE: SF Bay area owners!

   John, When will you be in the Bay Area? The next gathering of the
Northern California DeLorean Motor Club will be a BBQ potluck on the 13th of
August. We'll be showing how to install the cooling system bypass kits and
watching my videos of the Cleveland Car Show. Contact me directly for more
information.

Ken Montgomery	Sacramento, CA   VIN #10911  'OUTTIME'
http://www.jps.net/arkham/delorean/delorean01.htm
mailto:kenm_at_dml_csus.edu
Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://members.tripod.com/ncdmc/
http://www.dmcnews.com  mailto:directory_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 17:59:25 -0500
From: Jonathan Miller <betaray_at_dml_kludge.org>
Subject: (unknown)

I thought I remembered reading a while back about someone fab'ing a DIN
dash replacement to replace the current 2 post radio hole. I can't seem to
find any info on this now, and wondered if I was just hallucinating. Does
anyone know of such a thing? I know for sure there are a couple of you out
there that modified the current dash, and I won't mind that too much, but
I'd rather just buy something and not have to cut up stuff.

-- Jonathan

MODERATOR NOTE: try this one.

http://www.midstatedmc.com/parts/radioface.html

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 17:39:27 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

This message reminded of something I read somewhere (heer on the DML,
maybe?) about a way to wire your garage door opener to the high beam
relay so that when you approached the garage door, you only had the
use the "flash to pass" control on the high beams (pull back briefly
on the stalk) to activate it. Seems simple enough to devise - John
Hervey, can you tell us how to do it?

James