From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2000 2:21 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 166

1. RE: Galvanizing frame?
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

2. RE: suspension
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 22:27:53 -0500
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Galvanizing frame?

I knew I had read about galvanizing somewhere:

  Delorean World, Volume 9 number 1, 1992.  "Rust Never Sleeps II" by Mike
Roberts.

In the article, Mike attempted to have a frame stripped in Methylene
Chloride, but could not find anyone with a tank large enough to hold the
entire frame.  Plus, it was slow-going and required multiple treatments.  He
finally found someone to just chuck it in the galvanizing tank, epoxy and
all, with the idea that it would burn off.  It did, but make thick fumes and
required 4 dips in the tank.  The galvanizer was not receptive to doing it
again.  Mike said it was $400 but that was in 1992.

You should read the article, it's quite informative.

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN# 4695

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 22:43:18 -0500
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: RE: suspension

I have a set of lowering springs and new shocks on all 4 corners.  (No new
sway bar, I don't think.)  They were purchased and installed at DMC Houston
for about $1100 (add $200-300 for the installation).  It very much improved
the handling, so much so that I now enjoy cornering this car at high speed.
Still haven't found the limit, but I'm not trying *that* hard to spin it
out!

It didn't harshen the ride much, either, considering that before it kinda
floated like a Buick.  I like it alot, it's really improved the feel of the
car.

I'm still not 100% happy with the handling but only because of the steering,
which seems to be worn.  I have trouble making minor adjustments at highway
speeds, where I seem to have about 1 inch of play in the steering wheel.
Maybe I'll just have the rack replaced with a power steering unit.  :-)

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN# 4695