From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2000 2:20 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 167

1. Re: Galvanizing frame?
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

2. Re: Stainless Dent Removal !
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

3. RE: Engine dies when clutch is engaged
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_pclink.com>

4. #153
From: mbomberger_at_dml_analysts.com

5. POR-15 for Frame restoration
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

6. Welding on the Frame (Re: Galvanizing frame?)
From: "Jason Johnston" <kenworth_77_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: #153
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

8. Re: #153
From: captainscg_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: DeLorean Submerging-Part I (RE: Re: Interesting Stainless Steel Info)
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

10. Re: Stainless Dent Removal !
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

11. DeLorean Europe
From: "Rob van der Veer" <rob.van.der.veer_at_dml_delorean-europe.com>

12. Wide black stripe
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 07:43:19 EDT
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: Galvanizing frame?

There is a DMC owner and longtime DeLorean Owners Association member Mike
Roberts in Illinois. His frame was the subject car in the article Rust Never
Sleeps. This DeLorean frame was destroyed due to rust. The owner was able to
locate a clean used frame and have the epoxy coating stripped off, and have
the DeLorean Frame galvanized. The frame looks fantastic.

    In addition, The Lotus Esprit frames are galvanized.

    Additionally, you should seriously consider a Stainless Steel frame from
PDC Inc. The company is in the Chicago area.

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:09:16 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Stainless Dent Removal !

Take 3 photo's of the damaged area and send copies to DMC Houston. They will be happy to evaluate the repair possibilities and cost.

"We're here to help you"

Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:59:46 -0500
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_pclink.com>
Subject: RE: Engine dies when clutch is engaged

This is similar to a problem I had.  Fuel starvation was the problem.  Check
the fuel lines in the fuel tank.  In my case IO could go in reverse but not
forward.  Like yours, it idled fine.  When it needed a larger amount of fuel
it would kill.  There should be other info in the archives since this
problem has been mentioned before.

Nick Kemp
Deer Lake Orchard
Site of the Minnesota area fall get-together

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 09:01:17 -0500
From: mbomberger_at_dml_analysts.com
Subject: #153

Fellow DMLer's

I'm a bit confused.  On Ebay, they have listed the 153rd car off the line, but
do not list the vin #.  I was under the impression that the Crawford Museum in
Cleveland had the first D off the line in their collection.  Would that make
this car vin# 653?  Thanks in advance for clearing this up for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=399552176&r=0&t=0

Mattman

Matt Bomberger
Senior Staff Manager
Analysts International
(972) 406-5039

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:24:03 -0000
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>
Subject: POR-15 for Frame restoration

Hi all,
As Nick is in the process of restoring his frame, I am also doing
mine. I am going to use POR-15 on my frame. My plans are to degrease
the frame, remove as much of the old epoxy off (BTW I found a GREAT
stripper to remove the epoxy at Home Depot), prep the metal frame
with POR-15 Metal Ready and then paint it with Chassis Black POR-15
paint. I will also be painting over the POR-15 with Rustoleums' Dark
Machine grey to bring it as close as possible to the original color.
My question is this: Has anyone did this before and if so is it as
good as I hear? A few of my friends have used this on other
restoration car projects and swear by it. I've also called the
company that makes the stuff and they said that the paint dries to a
rock hard finish that won't chip, crack or peel, that it will remain
flexible so the slight flex that the chassis expierences won't affect
it and also if the paint does chip while reassembling the frme, then
the only area that would rust would be the area that was exposed from
the chip. They claim that the Rust will NOT travel under the paint
like it did with the old Epoxy. Anyone have any comments on this?

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 11:58:51 CDT
From: "Jason Johnston" <kenworth_77_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Welding on the Frame (Re: Galvanizing frame?)

Nick,
I would advise against the galvanizing part on your frame. Not only do you
have to worry about the tremendous amount of heat stress the frame has to go
through but also with the Zinc coat. As a welder, I won't weld on galvanized
metal because the coat when it heats up and melts gives off TOXIC fumes. If
you were to weld anything around or on the frame, you could put yourself or
the welder in serious danger. Plus if a shop were to work on the car, and
you forgot to tell them it was galvanized, they would be outting themselves
at a risk. I suggest staying with the epoxy coat or upgrading your frame to
a stainless steel one. (there is a company out there that makes DMC frames
and coats them with the stainless steel coat of Chromium Oxide, supposedly
the frames are reinforced in the weaker areas such as the suspension mounts
- but I can't remember the name of the company)

Jason Johnston
DMC Enthusiast and Researcher
Kemco Industries, Inc.
Fort Worth, Texas

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:48:23 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: #153

That is correct; the first production car out of the factory was Vin 500.

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:14:41 EDT
From: captainscg_at_dml_aol.com

I am currently in touch with the individual selling that particular Delorean.
 The VIN # is, indeed, 0654 which supposedly makes it the 154th Delorean off
the assembly line (since the #'s start at 500.  If that is NOT the case and
anyone has any knowledge to the contrary, I will then stand corrected.
Mark

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:03:32 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Submerging-Part I (RE: Re: Interesting Stainless Steel Info)

Jason,

Yes, you are correct, under certain conditions the stainless can corrode.

Think about this. The ornamental stainless steel used on the exterior of the Empire State Building was installed in 1931, that's almost 60 years of 24 hour a day exposure to the elements. (New York City elements: acid rain, pollution, etc.) That stainless steel looks as good today as it did the day it was installed. When it comes to the De Lorean stainless steel panels owners have no worries about corrosion for the life of the car and beyond.

  From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
  To: <dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com>
  Subject: RE: [DML] Re: Interesting Stainless Steel Info
  Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 21:20:39 -0500

  How long to make the panels rust?  Probably never.

      http://www.dmcnews.com/backissues/dml089903.html

  Read the message that contains the word " barnacles".

  Gus Schlachter
  Austin, TX
  VIN# 4695

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:10:52 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

We are more than happy to provide stainless repair estimates from
photos as Joe recommends, and though in some cases the cost to repair
is more than cost of a new panel itself, it never hurts to ask!

Generally speaking, we can work wonders with stainless - I honestly
mean that because I am still amazed at some of the stuff we have been
able to fix. It's one reason we have not had to sell a left front
fender in five or six years, we've been able to fix them all.

T-panels and hoods are the most problematic (big, flat areas) because
the metal stretches and then it's almost impossible to repair unless
the damge is very minor.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 22:47:40 +0200
From: "Rob van der Veer" <rob.van.der.veer_at_dml_delorean-europe.com>
Subject: DeLorean Europe

Dear DML-ers,

This is a shameless plug for my website. I am building a community site for
European DeLorean Owners. Although there is little functionality right now,
I would like to call on all European DeLorean owners out there to visit my
site, register as a member and add the DMC events in your country to my
site. It's free and simple.

Enough bandwidth wasted, the URL is:

http://www.delorean-europe.com

Yours,

Rob van der Veer

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 17:15:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>
Subject: Wide black stripe

Ok. I went and did it. I bought a D. '81/ 5sp / gasflap / black interior.
It gets shipped to DMC Houston for some minor cosmetic work and then to
me. Yay!

Now then. The only this can doesn't have that I'd really like to have is
the wide black dealer stripe. Searching the list archives led me to
believe obtaining a set wasn't *entirely* impossible, so I figured I'd
heckle people. If anyone has a set, I'll be happy to work out a deal with
you. If anyone knows where I can get them, speak up! :)

Oh, and once/if I get them, anyone have a clue as to who and how to
install them?

Noah

VIN <dont-have-it-yet-its-sitting-on-my-desk-at-work> :)

my $blame = shift;