From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Sunday, April 16, 2000 11:32 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 17

1. Re: Speakers...
From: Trevor L L Johnson <comet6974_at_dml_juno.com>

2. Re: What to fix first (was: Purchasing questions!)
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

3. DeLorean Car Show IMPORTANT
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

4. front spoiler
From: "Steve Bunnell" <dmcsteve_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Thanks
From: "Steve Bunnell" <dmcsteve_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Cooling hoses
From: "Lynn Metz" <metzlynn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Original De Lorean Sales Brochure
From: cwirz_at_dml_sairgroup.com

8. Ralph's Caroscope
From: "yugoman" <mdrig_at_dml_email.msn.com>

9. Re: coolant lines
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

10. Re: Tachometer Needle
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

11. Re: coolant lines
From: "Dan RC30" <Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Re: Torsion bar,door
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

13. Car Covers?
From: heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net

14. NCDMC Sunday brunch and gathering delayed
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

15. Last "Sweaty" post
From: "SweatyEddy" <swetyedy_at_dml_cwnet.com>

16. Suffolk Car Show
From: David Sontos <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>

17. Sunshade removal
From: "Tom Watkins watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net" <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>

18. Sweet Eddie an Ken K.
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Thanks
From: Ann & Ed Thompson <rapparivarat_at_dml_erols.com>

20. DeLorean Car Show (web site problem)
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

21. Re: Digest Number 16 (door adjustment)
From: "Claude Landi" <cbl302_at_dml_msn.com>

22. temp. guage
From: "rpcarrington" <rpcarrington_at_dml_msn.com>

23. PICS of JZD
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

24. Re: Sweet Eddie an Ken K.
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

25. The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_ketchum.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 10:52:00 -0700
From: Trevor L L Johnson <comet6974_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Speakers...

I just bought a second car and am going through the whole stereo process
again. The best way to go is try to get the same size speakers as before.
I had looked all over and the only speakers i could find that woul fit
are Kenwood KFC835c, they have a paper tweeter cone (Not my first chice
of cone material) but they will flush mount and can handle more than 40
watts, they can be found on kenwoods web sit if you cant find them any
where else
Trevor Johnson
6974 & 4???
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 17:43:58 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: What to fix first (was: Purchasing questions!)

In a message dated 4/14/00 8:10:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
sean_dmc1_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:

<< what should be the first things you
 tackle in trying to get the car up to optimum running order and daily driver
 status? Any secrets to avoiding costly repair bills? >>

Personal opinion- other will disagree:  1. do the fuel tank mechanicals while
it sits. (That is to say, don't drive it home from 3000 miles away at 70 mph.
 Trailer it if it's been sitting.  Or pretty much sitting but runs.)  Rotting
hoses etc. may work but be gradually, or quickly ruining the injectors, etc.
Ask Rob Grady what you should install. 2. Brake master cylinder  probably
shot, even if working.  Check brake system hoses, shoes, etc.  Might need to
replace.  3. Cooling system:  hoses and thermostat probably dying. Header
bottle replacement before it breaks. Maybe waterpump too... if necessary.
Aluminum engines can't handle overheating.  I should know... just put a new
head on my "family wheels" Neon this week. $$$ :(   4. Lockzilla upgrade
before you fry your door lock solenoids, and have to spend even more. 5.
Clutch line, slave and master probably all need replacing.  They may be leaky
but working fine...while stressing your clutch system.. A clutch job costs
around $1000.     Replace  the cylinders and line and you may postpone that
costly clutch job.  6. Tires if original NCT's, should be ok around town for
awhile at in-city speeds, but I wouldn't burn rubber.  They're 18 years old!
7. Don't forget the usual routine upgrades:  inertia switch, trailing arm
bolt double nut, relay upgrade, front end stabilizer bar strengthening, ball
joint upgrade, ice shield . Ask a D parts supplier for their version of a "to
do" list.  Different ones will give you different answers. That's why it's
good to pay attention when they answer!  ;)
Offhand, those seem to be the major "get it before it gets you" items.  Of
course other items may crop up demanding attention, like the a/c or
thermotime switch.
I've had my D for 2 months, starting with 13+K (actual) miles.  The previous
owner hardly ever drove it, only fixing what was broken, such as the fuel
system, to make it runable.  I originally estimated $3000. to do the most
important upgrades, but I've gone a little overboard... closer to $4k though
I've had no major surprises.  I've done pretty much everything listed above
except for the suspension upgrades, which hopefully are already on my '82.
But I should've specifically asked Rob Grady to check last weekend, at the
MidAtlantic Dust Off.
To save cash:  don't fix cosmetic items before your mechanicals are up to
par. Don't send it away for 3 months and say, (no matter how great or honest
the mechanic,)  "just look it over and do whatever it needs."  Most of us
daily drivers, myself included, can't afford $8- 10,000+ for the like-new
makeover. I take mine to my local trusted mechanic once a week with the
correct parts in hand, and I pick it up that night with  the a/c repaired,
whatever.  I know what I want done because I've researched it on the DML and
with my D parts guy.  He doesn't dig up his own parts. I resist replacing
still-working non safety items, like the radiator, just because  "we have it
up on the lift anyway." Because that will eat up your dough too fast.  Of
course, if you can do your own repairs, that MIGHT be a savings... not in
every case, tho.'!  Ask on this list as you begin a project.  Just before I
did my clutch line, someone on the DML described how to install it without
the factory specified job of unbolting the body from the frame!!!  If I had
relied solely on the manual, I'd had blown a lot of money!  Don't forget,
there's a big dollar difference between "optimum running order" and "daily
driver."  Mine was purchased in good enough shape for use immediately as a
daily driver for my 7 minute "commute" to work.  I'm still working toward
"optimum running order,"  and a daily driver, almost by definition, won't be
"concours."   But I've enjoyed bringing VIN 11174 back to health!  And
driving it every day. =o))

-Wayne
"Still Living The Dream!"

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 20:23:24 EDT
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Car Show IMPORTANT

Hi
Remember I talked to you about a few more surprises.
Well last week I announced the DeLorean Tow Truck

I think I have saved the best for last

I have been talking to Kathryn DeLorean the last few weeks
As you know she is the daughter of John Z DeLorean whom I met this past
Wedensday.

Rather than translate it is posted on my web page
its in red at the top, 4th row, listed as letter from Kathryn
please read it Its cool
<A HREF="http://deloreancarshow.com">deloreancarshow</A>

I will update this as it unfolds

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 19:02:21 -0600
From: "Steve Bunnell" <dmcsteve_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: front spoiler

Hey everybody,

I'm looking for a used (or new), but most importantly, a cheap front spoiler for under the front bumper.  It appears that a brand new spoiler from DMC Houston is about $280.  I was wondering if anyone had a parts car or just a spare spoiler (ha, ha, ha) lying around that they may like to part with for a little less than 280 freekin' dollars.  Email me directly, so as not to waste room on the list.

dmcsteve_at_dml_hotmail.com

-Steve Bunnell

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 19:03:06 -0600
From: "Steve Bunnell" <dmcsteve_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Thanks

Not long ago I sent out an email to this list asking for help with Insurance for my DeLorean.  The response I received was overwhelming!  I must have gotten 40 or 50 personal replies!  I am writing now to thank each of you who responded and helped me out.  I really appreciate all your help.  This list is so great, because we all have one common problem: the DeLorean.  (Don't get me wrong, I LOVE MY DELOREAN!)  But if someone has a problem with their car, chances are someone will be there to help.  Because someone else (probably many other people) have already had this or that problem.

Anyway, before I start carrying on for TOO long, ( I know, I know - Too late!)  I just wanted to send a great Thank You out to everyone who helped me out!

THANK YOU!

-Steve
#11611

P.S. I went with Progressive.

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 20:24:05 PDT
From: "Lynn Metz" <metzlynn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Cooling hoses

Thanks for all of the responses to my questions.  I guess I will do the cap
rotor and wires as well while I am in there.  (already planned on the plugs)
  Thanks for your input!

Brian

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 14:19:49 +0200
From: cwirz_at_dml_sairgroup.com
Subject: Original De Lorean Sales Brochure

Dear Reader

I have several De Lorean Sales Brochure (20 pages)
Plack cover.

These brochure have never been opend

If you are interested make me please a offer
On EBAY the run up to 62$

Christoph Wirz
De Lorean Automobile
Hauptstrasse 80
9506 Lommis

wirz_at_dml_delorean.ch

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 09:33:45 -0400
From: "yugoman" <mdrig_at_dml_email.msn.com>
Subject: Ralph's Caroscope

Anyone else on the list tried this site?

http://cartalk.cars.com/Survey/Results/Psychographics/Caroscopes/266429x0594.html

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 20:47:44 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: coolant lines

The Water Pipe Service Kit contains the hoses and the Intake Manifold O
rings Gasket and Seal Kit includes all of the gaskets and seals required to
replace the hoses you mentioned. All of the seals and gaskets are of the
"dry type" meaning they do not require any sealant.

The DeLorean Suggested Warranty Repair Times Manual indicates 2.2 hours
(operation #13005) for this procedure. If you have never performed this
procedure before it may take you 8 to 10 hours to complete.

"We're here to help you"
DMC Joe / De Lorean Services / <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>
.

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 22:19:13 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Tachometer Needle

All of the electrical instrumentation in the DeLorean was designed and built
by AC
Delco a division of General Motors. The DeLorean electrical system is not a
Lucas designed system. The only Lucas built devices are the windshield wiper
module and the directional/hazard flasher. Interestingly enough these two
items rarely fail.

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 08:43:01 HST
From: "Dan RC30" <Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Regarding that hose that would not fit exactly like the original. I have the
same kit, and I had the same problem. But, the hose does fit with the right
amount of twisting. It's ok if it rubs the back of the engine compartment.
Keep in mind that these cars are almost 20 years old, and the design is
older than that. Many parts just aren't made anymore. Although the hose is
not "exact", it is an acceptable replacement since it does clear the A/C
compressor and it does serve it's purpose. I am personally grateful that we
have shops like PJ Grady around to find those "hard to find" parts and sell
them at acceptable prices. Without shops like these, we'd all be in a bit of
trouble and many cars would be more butchered than they are now with parts
that don't even come close to the original specifications. We'd all be
guessing on what parts would work, and what wouldn't.

---Dan

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 08:01:50 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Torsion bar,door

Somewhat true, somewhat false. "Losing a hand" may be extreme but if your
fingers get caught between the sharp edge of the stainless and an anchor
plate that has been suddenly launched into orbit due to a broken pre-load
tool a severed digit might be in order.

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 17:10:17 -0000
From: heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net
Subject: Car Covers?

Hello All,

  What would you suggest for a D car cover, for a car that would be
parked outside, in the New England area?  I've seen that the Delorean
car covers are not waterproof - does that matter?

Thanks in advance!

-Hank

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 23:43:44 -0700
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: NCDMC Sunday brunch and gathering delayed

Our brunch gathering set for this Sunday, April 16th will need to be delayed
because of rain. Since the next Sunday is Easter we'd better try for a 2
week delay. That would make it the 30th of April. Of course the weather
could hamper us again and we'll have to wait till next month to get our
season going. Since I only received a few replies for this Sunday it may be
that more of you can make the 30th anyway. So, the details again will be:

Sunday morning April 30th at 9:00AM
El Torito restaurant
1961 Diamond Blvd
Concord	(925) 798-7660

The El Torito is located in the Willows Shopping Center off of Willow Pass
Road at Highway 680. You can almost see it from the freeway on the east side
of the highway. It's the first left turn off the freeway, then down into the
shopping center and left back down to the restaurant.

We'll start with breakfast/brunch and then get our cars lined up for a photo
shoot. If enough people attend we'll go for a drive together.

E-mail me if you can come. I'll need to let the restaurant know about how
many people will be coming (you're encouraged to bring your S.O. too, the
brunch was great last year). I'll make the reservations to seat us at 9:30
when the restaurant opens, so please come a little early so we can get
seated in time. I'll be there by 9AM. Come on out even if you can't bring
your car.

Ken Montgomery	    Sacramento, CA       VIN #10911  'OUTTIME'
http://www.jps.net/arkham/delorean01.htm	 mailto:kenm_at_dml_csus.edu
Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://members.tripod.com/ncdmc/
http://www.dmcnews.com  mailto:directory_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 12:01:14 -0000
From: "SweatyEddy" <swetyedy_at_dml_cwnet.com>
Subject: Last "Sweaty" post

VIN #6564 is on its way to Japan. I sold my Delorean today to a gentleman from Japan. He is shipping it over next week. This will be my last post to the list. This is a wonderful forum (no matter what the DOA may think) keep it up. I enjoyed my car and participating in the list but it is just time to move on.
Good Luck to all,
Duane "SweatyEddy" Ware

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 19:25:59 -0400
From: David Sontos <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>
Subject: Suffolk Car Show

The bad news is Saturday the Suffolk Ballon Festival got rained out.

The good news is Sunday it was sunny and we WON FIRST PLACE at the car
show.

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 23:41:11 -0000
From: "Tom Watkins watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net" <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>
Subject: Sunshade removal

I need to remove my sunshade for the Parade I will be in with my BTTF
stuff added on.   I have check the archives but can't find a removal
procedure.   I can see the 4 bolts keeping the sunshade on, this
seems
very straight forward...the question is, how do you take off the 2
gas
struts?  Do I need to unbolt the pins or can they come off without
having to remove these pins that they swivel on?  Do the struts just
pop off of the pins, I guess is the question.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Tom

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 20:17:47 EDT
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Sweet Eddie an Ken K.

Fellow DMCer's;
To Fast Eddie, sorry to hear you are leaving us. But good luck, will miss
your posts. As for your ex-car (6564), mine 6569 is happy to know that she
has kin folk in Japan!
To Ken K. After your newest post of 4/16/00. All I can say is YOU BE THE
MAN!!!!
Bruce Battles
Vin# 6569

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 20:46:40 -0400
From: Ann & Ed Thompson <rapparivarat_at_dml_erols.com>
Subject: Re: Thanks

> Steve Bunnell wrote:
>
> we all have one common problem: the DeLorean.
>
> ( I know, I know - Too late!)

Too late indeed!  Don't you think it would have been more appropriate to
have stated, "We all have one common INTEREST: the DeLorean."?  We long
term DeLorean owners do not view the DeLorean as a "problem", but rather
a challenge involving an occasional problem.  That's a significant reason
why this eGroup continues to remain successful.

Regards,
Ed Thompson (#6419 since 1982)

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 21:02:50 EDT
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Car Show (web site problem)

If you tried to read the letter from Kathryn DeLorean and could not reach it,
the problem is with the server
hopefully by the time you read this it will have been fixed
Its worth the visit and I don't think I could paraphrase it better than she
wrote it so I  invite everyone to read it.

<A HREF="http://deloreancarshow.com">http://deloreancarshow.com</A>

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 22:01:27 -0400
From: "Claude Landi" <cbl302_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Digest Number 16 (door adjustment)

When the factory put the SS panels on the car,the first panels to go on the
cars were the doors then everything was aligned to the doors,and YES,if you
are going to adjust the position of the doors,remove the struts,the struts
are what is keeping you from being able to adjust the doors to the door
pins,also if your doors are missing the door guides (those big globs of SS
That help guide the door to the door pins)I would suggest getting those,your
best bet is to get the door to close correct,and then align any and all
panels to the door itself.

Claude

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 22:40:45 -0400
From: "rpcarrington" <rpcarrington_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: temp. guage

Hi group. My question. While driving my temp guage needle will jump from
about middle of first lines to just under 220 mark. It might stay there or
just as suddenly drop back down . Any ideas as to the cause?  Thanks.  Bob
#20003  ( When I say suddenly, I mean instantly)

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 23:15:14 EDT
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: PICS of JZD

I  have had some e-mail asking who is in the picture with me below the ones
with <A HREF="http://deloreancarshow.com">John DeLorean</A>
That is his brother Charles DeLorean whom I bought my car off of.

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 23:45:51 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Sweet Eddie an Ken K.

Bruce, John Hervey here in Dallas, Texas. We have 11004, 6935 and 6568. Does
that make us kin :). Since you have 6569. Dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 00:01:48 -0400
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_ketchum.com>
Subject: The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...

So... things are progressing steadily in the Last Chance Garage.

I had planned to get the engine up & ready to try starting this week.  I
only needed a coil to complete the job, hopefully, and I picked up an
Accel Supercoil at Pep Boys this week.  It's the universal model, 12
volt.  It doesn't have the same connectors as a stock coil, but I
fabricated some out of thick wire and the appropriate connectors &
mounted the coil.

I cleaned the air intake a bit with a lot of carb cleaner, and then
cranked the engine over to "air it out" a bit.  I guess the engine was a
little bit further along than I supposed.  She didn't just air out...
she started & purred like a very loud kitten for about 5 seconds...
until the carb cleaner ran out.  (no fuel yet)

I expected the engine to run, but I didn't expect it to RUN.  I guess 12
years of waiting can get a car anxious to get out on the road again.

Now all I have to do is finish up the coolant lines, and we're ready to
try running for real. =)

-Dave Stragand
Vin 5927
http://www.ProjectVixen.com