From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2000 11:44 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 172

1. Re: celebrity DeLorean owners
From: ciasleeper2_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: lambda light on dash
From: "Scott Cagle" <sharkywtrs_at_dml_charter.net>

3. Re: lambda light on dash
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

4. Hot Start
From: "John Hervey" <dherv10_at_dml_aol.com>

5. Re: VIN SCEDT26TODD020064/Exhaust Pipes
From: dmc17168_at_dml_aol.com

6. cooling fan question
From: gullwing99_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re:Frame Restoration (color matching the frame)
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

8. Customizing the DeLorean
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>

9. Slightly Damaged RFP For Sale
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>

10. Re: Re: Changing front and rear springs
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

11. Re: Re: Summer Heat, now hard starting Q
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

12. RE: lambda light on dash
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

13. Re: VIN SCEDT26TODD020064
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

14. Throttle cable
From: "Lynn Metz" <metzlynn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: cooling fan question
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

16. Re: Customizing the DeLorean
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

17. Re: Customizing the DeLorean
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

18. Re: celebrity DeLorean owners-more Leave it to Beaver
From: johnmidd1_at_dml_aol.com

19. Sob Story
From: Josh Haldeman <haldeman_at_dml_indexdesign.com>

20. straighten fascia & repainting
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

21. Re: Changing front and rear springs
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

22. Canadian DeLoreans
From: "Sacha Prins" <sprins_at_dml_businessnet.net>

23. Questions on NOS Master Brake cyl
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

24. Re: Hot Start
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

25. Re: Throttle cable
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:26:48 EDT
From: ciasleeper2_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: celebrity DeLorean owners

Another interesting tie in to "Leave it to Beaver" is that Beaver's older
brother Wally's Highschool, (in reality a set on the Universal lot) was
retrofitted 20 years later into what we now know as the infamous Clock Tower
from "Back To The Future"

Just thought it was interesting....

Justin

Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:48:58 -0400
From: "Scott Cagle" <sharkywtrs_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: lambda light on dash

> The lambda light on our dash is lit, what does this mean<

It means that the lambda sensor needs to be reset.  They come on after a
certain count.  If you will look at your speedo drive cable running down
behind the brake pedal, you will see the lambda sensor box connected to it.
As far as the proper procedure to reset it, I'm really not sure.  I just
unhooked my light, I'm way too lazy.

Scott

Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:23:23 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Mike hit the lambda question right on the head, but may have been off
the mark on the "electronic box". On cars with the early VINs, the
inertia switch was mounted there. People were kicking them and that's
why it was moved to the wall on the drivers footwell.

A description of the box would be helpful in accurately identifying it for you.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:55:56 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <dherv10_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Hot Start

Hey: Group, If anyone needs a hot start relay for this cool Texas
Climate of 100 to 107 to help overcome the startup up problem, I have
them. You know me. Dherv10_at_dml_aol.com. New listing on the DML Parts list.

Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:01:51 EDT
From: dmc17168_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: VIN SCEDT26TODD020064/Exhaust Pipes

Not all 1983's came with small exhaust pipe tips. I purchased #17168 new with
17 miles from a New Jersey dealer who had over 20 1983's in stock. As I
remember most were 17000vins. The cars with black interiors had the large
tail pipes and the cars with grey interiors had small pipes. I wanted the
grey interior and could only get it with the small pipes.
At the Cleveland Show my car lost 2 points in the concours because of the
small pipes.  Would any owners of 1983cars with 17000 vins e-mail me with
their vin #,interior color and tail pipe size. DMC Houston does not believe
my exhaust is original. If there are other strange things about label decals
please let me also know.
My interior looks the same as #20064. I wish my wife would let me buy it.

Thanks,
Tom Griepenburg
dmc17168_at_dml_aol.com

Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:36:50 EDT
From: gullwing99_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: cooling fan question

    Hello all,
My wife and I took the D out for a nice Sunday drive this past weekend. ( we
don't do this much do to a new baby),,,,,The D did great as it always
has,,,,but I have a question about the fans,,,,,first though,,,the car never
ever over heats,,it runs cool no matter what the temp,,,,,,when you have the
AC on,,,are they suppose to stay on or do they come on and off,,,,,mine are
going on and off,,,if they are suppose to stay on while the AC is on what is
the problem,,,,,,if they are not suppose to,,,,,,thanks anyway

           J.B.Vincent
           vin: 16709
           lic:  DMC 12

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 02:08:44 -0000
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>
Subject: Re:Frame Restoration (color matching the frame)

Actually since the epoxy paint was applied on thick, you can scrape
off the top layer and see the original color under it. Only the top
layer of the Epoxy paint will be oxidized.

[Excessively Long Quotation removed by Moderator]

Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:41:33 -0500
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Customizing the DeLorean

Hey Guys,
  After looking at the Painted DeLorean Website and DMCNews Owner Pics,
I have noticed a few customized D's, some that have undergone exrteme
cosmetic alterations.  My questions too those who have done this sort of
project is this:  Where did you find the stuff at?  I would like to add
ground effects
and possibly skirts to my car, when I get it (soon!), and blackout kits,
especially
the rear taillight blackouts-too cool!  I'm not wanting too turn it into
another car,
just slightly improve on the looks, not that I'm complaining though!

  Also, WHO owns the RED D that has re-engineered the interior and
replaced it with red cloth (?) and swapped the steering wheel with a
plane-cockpit type of steering wheel (half-wheel type).  It is SO
awesome!

Basically, if you're a customizer, please e-mail me privately.  I would
love to
talk to you and discuss the processes and expenses required to do such
feats.

Thank You All,
Robert G.
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:31:35 -0500
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Slightly Damaged RFP For Sale

Hi Group,
I paid about $1700 for a right front panel as a peice of memorabilia,
the person who previously owned it had no use of it, for it had set in
the garage for about 10 years before I got it.  I cleaned it up, polished
it, meade it shine like new, as put it where I could see it everyday.  You
could call it my little DeLorean "shrine".....anyway, my Mom wants me to get
rid of it because it takes up too much room inside the house so, I am offering it
to you, my fellow DMLers.  The only thing wrong with it is that the front part
where the fascia meets the panel and bolts on has been bent, the owner said it
happened back in '86 when an old woman in a Caddy changed lanes and swiped the
front. Nothing too serious..someone who knew how to heat stainless properly or
knows someone who does could probably mold this back into shape, and then
re-install the black strip (it's been removed somewhere down the years).

So, if anyone is interested in having a spare that you can play with (and possibly
use if you needed to), please e-mail me privately.  All offers will be considered.
Buyer to pay S&H.

Thaks in Advance,
Robert G.
PS-What I recieve will go into my DeLorean funds! : )

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 00:35:56 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Changing front and rear springs

    Steve,

    I think it would be advisable to include the following warning when addressing spring replacement.

    DANGER! When removing or replacing coil springs, improper use of coil spring compressors can cause the spring to be propelled out of its mounting position with LETHAL FORCE. (Auto Service and Repair publishers Goodheart-Willcox Co.)

    "We're here to help you"

    Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 00:49:27 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Summer Heat, now hard starting Q

John,

You may have the only Hot Start relays in existence. I'm not sure what the design engineers had in mind when they wired in the hot start relay because no such relay exists. The socket has three connections, three less than required to allow such a circuit to function. If you carefully study the schematic wiring diagram you will see what I mean.

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 00:15:25 -0500
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

There are several "boxes" under the dash.  One is the lamda counter that
needs to be reset to turn off that dash light.  It has a speedometer cable
going in the bottom and another out the top.

If I recall correctly, the inertia switch was originally mounted on the
forward wall of the footwell, and relocated by a Service Bulletin so that it
would not get so easily kicked.  If still on the forward wall, it would
cause me to question if the car had received any of the safety recalls.

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN# 4695

Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:11:22 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: VIN SCEDT26TODD020064

It's generally thought that the Canadian market DeLoreans are the
17000 series VINs. They are generally identified by the presence of a
metric dominant instrument cluster - is anyone aware of any other
significant differences?

James

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 03:55:29 PDT
From: "Lynn Metz" <metzlynn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Throttle cable

Hey Group:

Well, last night was it, the first time my D has broken down and left me
sitting.  I was driving and "snap!" the throttle cable broke.  (right where
the pedal mechanism hooks to the cable)  After having someone meet me with
some tools, I ended up wiring the throttle to the engine caompartment so
that it was at a constant 2500 RPM's.  Then, I drove the 45 minute ride home
like that.  Questions: how tough is it to change the throttle cable?  Do I
have to replace the whole thing or just the cable in the sleeve?  How much
does a new one cost?  That was not fun.  EVERYONE is looking at you in that
car, as you're broke down fooling with it.

Thanks
Brian #16584

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:10:16 -0400
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>
Subject: Re: cooling fan question

I believe the normal fan operation with the AC on is that the fans go on
and off as the compressor cycles.

This is why some owners complain that the car bucks when the AC cycles.
The power spike of the compressor clutch, and both fans starting up is
quite a jolt to the marginal electrical system in the DMC.  The FanZilla
sold by PJGrady will fix the problem by sequentially starting all 3
items instead of the factory simultaneous method.

<SNIP>

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:12:57 -0400
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: Re: Customizing the DeLorean

Robert Greenhaw wrote:

> [SNIP]
> Also, WHO owns the RED D that has re-engineered the interior and
> replaced it with red cloth (?) and swapped the steering wheel with a
> plane-cockpit type of steering wheel (half-wheel type).  It is SO
> awesome!

The radically customized DeLorean has only made two public appearances: at
Ken Koncelik's shows in Cincinnati and Cleveland.  It belongs to Curtiss
Bryant in Ohio.  He is not on the Internet, and even Ken has trouble
reaching Curtiss.

The other red car with the ground effects is perhaps the most award-laden
DeLorean in the world: Dave Colley's custom DeLorean.  Unfortunately he is
also not on the Internet.  Dave's beautiful car is for sale, if you are
interested.

- Mike Substelny

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:19:23 -0400
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

This car is owned by Curtis Bryant.  VIN 10159 (I think).

The steering wheel is a stock DeLorean wheel that has been cut.  The
center area (where the horn would be on a regular car) has been covered
with cloth, and a calculator installed.  The top part of the wheel that
was cut has what looks like after market 5 speed shifter handles on
top.  He has the same handle on his shifter.

I do not think Curtis is on the internet yet, but Ken has been able to
get him to both of his DeLorean Car Shows.  I hope to see Curtis again
in Memphis, he is a friendly guy who definitely adds excitement to the
marquee even if his car is not quite your style.

I have a few pictures of his car from 1998 at
http://remus.rutgers.edu/~mxl/dmc/cinn/cin.html

<SNIP>

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:10:25 EDT
From: johnmidd1_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: celebrity DeLorean owners-more Leave it to Beaver

Also, on the New Leave it to Beaver show of the 1980s, Beavers friend Gilbert
drove a DeLorean!!

MODERATOR NOTE: This has been amusing, but unless someone has information that ties it all together the thread ends with this message.

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:26:57 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <haldeman_at_dml_indexdesign.com>
Subject: Sob Story

Greetings List,
    I was at my friendly neighborhood junk yard yesterday looking for a
few things for my brother's Honda.  I drove the DeLorean down so that
she could get her exercise for the week and, as usual, she attracted
quite a bit of attention...In fact the owner of the yard came out and
talked with me about them for awhile.  He's a nice and very honest
gentleman and I have no reason not to believe that the following story,
which he told me, is true.
    It seems that when the DeLorean was still in production there was a
Chevrolet dealership in Cincinnati that would do a lot of stainless work
on the cars.  All of their damaged panels were sent to this junk yard
when it was determined that they could not be repaired.  Curiously
enough, the yard owner held on to those panels and stored them in a huge
semi-truck trailer.  When DMC went under the Chevy dealership decided to
get out of the DeLorean business ASAP.  They sold their remaining supply
of replacement panels, including brand new left front fenders and lined
hoods (with and without gas flaps!) to this yard too.  The yard owner
stored the good panels in with the others in the hopes that someday a
DeLorean owner would come along looking for something.  All good news so
far!
    Here's the sad part:  four or five years ago the yard owner had a
wrecking crew come in to do a routine clean up job and they accidently
crushed the trailer with the DeLorean parts STILL INSIDE!
    He didn't think too much about it at the time because apparently no
one had ever come to him looking for panels and basically they were just
taking up space.  When I told him how much left front fenders were going
for today he just about fainted.
    I'm thinking it might be worth checking out what other local
DeLorean dealerships did with their replacement panels when the company
went under.  I'll let you know if I find any stories with happier
endings!
    Still sobbing for now,
    Josh
    http://www.delorean-12.com

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:48:52 EDT
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: straighten fascia & repainting

Hello List,
    I am going to have my front and rear fascias painted soon.  The front one
has decent sized eyebrows.  I remember hearing that the fascias could be
straightend out some how.  Will the local body shop know how?  how is this
done exactly?  do they put a bar behind it?  just curious.
    I am going to buy the paint at Napa because I can get it at cost there.
does anyone have the paint codes for the fascias?

Thank you
dave
#2496-stainless after 19 years

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:45:14 -0000
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>
Subject: Re: Changing front and rear springs

Joe,

You are absolutley right. Thanks for the inclusion. :)

On that note, you have to be especially careful with the front
springs. Like I said in my earlier post, they crammed larger springs
in place to raise the front bumper height. These are the springs that
have to be compressed to the point where the spring may start
to "buckle" under the stress and will/could pop off the tools and
cause some serious injury. Again...Be VERY carefull when changing
them. It's advisable to let a professional do it that way you won't
get hurt and you won't damage your D in the process.

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:46:38 +0200 (DST)
From: "Sacha Prins" <sprins_at_dml_businessnet.net>
Subject: Canadian DeLoreans

Hi,

I'm the proud owner of #17115. It was transported from Canada to the
Netherlands aprox. 3.5 years ago. It has the double lean exhaust pipes,
straight hood (no flap) and metric gauges. Other than that I don't know
what to look for, I haven't been able to compare it to another DeLorean
yet.

Sacha

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:59:48 -0000
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>
Subject: Questions on NOS Master Brake cyl

I have a few questions about the NOS Master Brake Cylinders. Is it
advisable to buy them? I mean they have been sitting around for about
20 years, wouldn't the seals have dried out? The bore be pitted by
mositure? I don't know how they were pakaged, if they had any type of
protective lubricant applied to them, etc. Would it be better to buy
the aftermarket type from one of the Delorean Dealers? I heard that
the Newer type ones do not come with the switch, how true is this?
Also does anyone know the make and the part number of the aftermarket
type Master Brake cyinders that will work in the Delorean without
having to change the calipers to match it?

Thanks in advance.

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 11:37:07 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Hot Start

John,

Not to put a damper on your offer of Hot Start Relays but as I noted in an earlier post there is no Hot Start Relay. I would be very interested in a description of this relay and how it functions.

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:01:36 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Throttle cable

Brian,

Depending on how and where the cable broke will determine the repair procedure. If the cable broke outside of the outer cable, replacement will be relatively easy. If the cable broke inside the outer cable it would be best to replace the entire unit; i.e.: Inner and outer. This will involve removal of the center console.

The cables are available in 130" and 140". Inner core replacements are priced at $19.45. If the outer and inner sections need to be replaced they are priced at $83.50, ask for part number 100485.