From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2000 3:40 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 175

1. Re: Late Model Exhaust Pipes and Concours
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

2. Re: RE: replacement panels
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

3. Today in History
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: DeLorean with twin turbo
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

5. Re: DeLorean with twin turbo
From: bluevelvet420_at_dml_aol.com

6. Power antenna installation
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

7. Re: History of Fiberglass panels
From: "Fronzel Neekburm" <MIst_hunter1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: Importing a Delorean to the USA
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

9. Re: Straight skinny on Hot Start Relay
From: "John Hervey" <dherv10_at_dml_aol.com>

10. Delorean BAE single turbo
From: "William F. Lane" <blane_at_dml_netunlimited.net>

11. Re: DeLorean Keys II
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

12. Re: Importing a Delorean to the USA
From: Robert Carl Ensfield <rcensfield_at_dml_voyager.net>

13. DeLorean Time
From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com

14. Shimmy at 55 - 60 mph, trans starts off in second
From: XSongwrtr_at_dml_aol.com

15. Angle drive lubrication
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

16. Re: Charlotte NC car show
From: iznodmad_at_dml_aol.com

17. New Interest
From: james_at_dml_irishjames.com

18. Brakes and Rotors
From: jdsjlv_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Brakes and Rotors
From: "Lynn Metz" <metzlynn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

20. Re: Delorean BAE single turbo
From: "Scott Cagle" <sharkywtrs_at_dml_charter.net>

21. Re: DeLorean with twin turbo
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

22. question about cooling fans
From: brownalizat_at_dml_exchange.uams.edu

23. Re: To cut or not to cut?
From: Bob Brandys <oehcs_at_dml_flash.net>

24. Re: New Interest
From: comet6974_at_dml_juno.com

25. Re: New Interest
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:55:23 EDT
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: Late Model Exhaust Pipes and Concours

I have new 1983 mufflers in stock w tips.

Sincerely,

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:00:11 EDT
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: RE: replacement panels

I have all DeLorean stainless steel panels in new original condition. The
fenders are still in the DMC box.

Sincerely,

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:10:44 EDT
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Today in History

Only on the DML can a mystery like the fiberglass panels be solved so
quickly! Thank you to the person who took the time to find out and publish
the facts. On a side note, while looking up some history stuff for my
classroom, today in 1984 in LA a federal jury acquits JZD on cocaine charges.
Only wish the rest of the world knew this fact. I still get at car shows, "He
went to jail for years didn't he?"
Bruce Battles
Vin # 06569

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:50:53 -0400
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean with twin turbo

Last I saw, 502 was for sale (on consignment) by DMC Houston.

There is another Legend Twin Turbo, owned by one of the big DeLorean
service centers, but it is not for sale.

There are a 2 other Legend prototype cars, but they were early ones and
resemble the current after market kits.  I did see one of those cars
recently but dont recall if it was twin or single turbo.  From what I
understand, all four cars were purchased by separate people during the
"fire sale" of Legend Industries.

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:07:04 EDT
From: bluevelvet420_at_dml_aol.com

It would be even cooler to own it.

0-60 in 4.2 seconds, finally the deloreans performance matches its appearance.
i wonder if you got oneof those NOS crate engines and put on the turbo
manifold twin turbo how fast it would go....
-greg

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:35:27 -0500
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>
Subject: Power antenna installation

I read in the archives that there was a Service Bulletin for installing the
power antenna. I've been through my book of bulletins and can't find it,
only the one for the front fender fixed antenna.

I'm thinking about converting to this and wanted to see how the factory
meant it to be done before I tackle this project.

Is there such a bulletin? What is the number?

Thanks

Mark N

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 23:37:37 GMT
From: "Fronzel Neekburm" <MIst_hunter1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: History of Fiberglass panels

Hi DML, I e-mailed the same person and got the same message, I guess he got
5+ people e-mailing him on the same day. Anyway, I guess this is true, and
in light of that, wouldn't it be weird to get all the fiberglass body
pannels and put them on a driving DeLorean. Boy, it would be right next to
the panited deloreans. It would be realy strange, and would be a sight at
the next DMC car show! :)
John Giedosh aka Fronzel Neekburm

 [quotation trimmed by moderator]

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 19:00:04 -0500
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Importing a Delorean to the USA

I did some research on this subject when I was considering a low-priced
project car in Canada.  I believe that Canadian models are USA models in
metric, but I was never able to positively confirm that.  Since, in my case,
the car didn't run anyway, I thought I'd import the engine and body
seperately.  It was either that, or get a "Letter of EPA Certification" from
JZD, which I'm sure he would have been happy to provide.

What I never discovered is if the Canadian models were blessed with the EPA
stickers, in which case you are off the hook.  If your stickers have "fallen
off" then you could order a replacement set from your favorite Delorean
Parts Supplier.

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN #4695

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 23:46:10 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <dherv10_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Straight skinny on Hot Start Relay

Dear James and Joe
Hey, slow down , I was simply asked to look into helping someone get
out of trouble.
   All three of my cars have a relay socket lying in the compartment
for some reason. Good to bad judgement on De Loreans part I don't
know, why they were put there or if they used it or not I don't know,
but I do know it's there and it's talk about it in the service
manuals and writen about it in the workshop books.
    There is no wiring changes. Just a simple relay modification then
plug in. I have never used it in all three of my cars; but when I was
bringing one back from California and having to stop every 200 miles
or so, the car wouldn't start. I would take of the air breather and
prime it with a little gas then start up and drive a little longer.
The hot start relay does nothing more than to prime the system with a
little gas thru the cold start injector which it does when the engine
is cold or below 95 degrees.To me it's safer than pouring  gas down
the air flow to get started. Your other choice is to sit and wait. To
me it's the lesser of two evils and less fire hazzard than pouring
gas. I don't recommend running it all the time because your right:
something is wrong with the system.
    But: I keep it in my survival box along with my special stainless
steel De Lorean paper clips, Jumper clips, fuel pump, relay and
circut breaker to fix a problem when it comes up.I can't keep gas in
the tool box.
    I do agree if it has to be used there is a problem. That's why I
take my car to Steve to be tuned. But how do you do that when your
stranded and in the middle of a shopping center parking lot or in the
middle of the desert. To me it's better that the alternative.
    In closing, I'm here to help other people as you have and others
to have a more pleasant De Lorean driving experience. As I learn more
about the electrical area of the car I will help make them a more
reliable. No different than anyone else that applies modern
technology or different technology to a old problem. Hense: The new
200hp engine,De Lorean 140 amp alternator and The Fan Fix or The Fan
Zilla.  (Driving the Dream)

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:28:47 -0400
From: "William F. Lane" <blane_at_dml_netunlimited.net>
Subject: Delorean BAE single turbo

Group,

I installed a BAE turbo unit on my '81 Delorean in 1982 or 83.  The 2
7/8 in. pipe with the mounting ring that attaches to the output side of
the turbo and immediately bends 180 degrees toward the rear of the car
has rusted through.  I am looking to find a replacement if anyone in the
group might have one or know the whereabouts of one.  I could also use a
wastegate muffler for the unit.

Please E-Mail me at blane_at_dml_netunlimited.net if you can offer any
assistance or info.

Thanks,

Bill Lane

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:21:04 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Keys II

I had someone ask about my late '81 Delorean keys, so since I went to all
the trouble to type it up, I figure that I would post a copy to this list
incase others may be curious or could use the info.....  besides, I'd like
some answers... what is the significance of the small steel key fob with the
serial number on it?  And did all dealer sold Deloreans come with 'postage
guaranteed' key fobs?
---------------------------------
The keys that I have are probably the later keys.  All of the plastic is
black (including the button).  They look like big black paddles.  They are
both in good condition.  One has slightly less pocket wear than the other.
Both have chrome plated steel key parts with the chrome flaking off.  Both
are complete except one is missing the original battery.  One problem
though:  Both are rather corroded inside from having old leaky batteries
left in them, but it looks like they would clean up okay.  One of them still
had the original battery left in it which I took out and sandwiched inside
of clear packing tape.  The battery has '625' stamped on it.  It looks like
a normal button style battery except it has a shoulder on it, i.e, one face
has a larger diameter than the other.  I don't really care about the keys
other than I wouldn't want to sell them for less than they are worth.  I
could keep them with the car, but I have enough stuff to keep track of
already.

Another item of interest: the keys that came with my Delorean also have a
key fob about the size of a half dollar.  One side has clear plastic
covering chrome lettering on a black background.  It has the DMC logo and
says DE LOREAN MOTORCARS OF HIGHLAND PARK  3200 SMOKIE VALLEY RD. HIGHLAND
PARK, ILL. (312) 433-4400.

The back of the key fob is stainless and says, 'Drop in any mailbox, postage
guaranteed, etc.'

I wonder what would happen if someone did drop that in a mail box?  Where
would it go?

Another curiosity on the key chain  is a steel 'dog tag' measuring
approximately 1" x 1/4" with a key code stamped on it.  I wonder if this is
for the door key or the ignition key?  I bet some concours buff would know
if it is significant.

Let me know your ideas.  I think I'll post some of this text on the DML
since other people may want to know what came with a new Delorean.  But I'm
not holding out for the highest bid or anything.  I just don't want to give
them away.

Later,
Walt

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 21:53:16 -0500
From: Robert Carl Ensfield <rcensfield_at_dml_voyager.net>

At 02:29 PM 8/15/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Well, it's finally time to bring my Delorean south of the border with
>me.  I moved to the Sates from Canada a couple of years ago, and left my D
>behind at my parents place due to a lack of a garage at my new home.  I
>have since acquired a house with a garage an am looking forward to having
>my D with me again.
>
>It looks like the process should be straight forward with one exception...
>Customs is requesting a letter from the manufacturer stating that the
>Delorean meets EPA emissions and DOT safety standards for the year in
>which it was manufactured.  Any idea where I might procure such a
>document?  Dos anyone have any experience bringing Deloreans into the USA
>(I know they tend to go the other way).  Any advice would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Eric Hennebury
>VIN 17065
>
>Eric,

     The original documentation should be on car:  Catalyst label
indicating pollution compliance on driver's door and stainless plate
indicating safety and bumper compliance on driver's door jamb.
                                                                                                    Bob-6077

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 21:59:36 EDT
From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Time

Well it looks like they are having progress on the DeLorean Time website at
www.deloreantime.com. It says that they are "moving in."

John Feldman

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 02:34:10 -0000
From: XSongwrtr_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Shimmy at 55 - 60 mph, trans starts off in second

Hello,
I have 2 problems to share with the group. First, I have a shimmy at
55 mph up, have turned rotors, torqued wheels correctly, replaced
tires with new ones, replaced front wheel bearings. No loose sway
bar, no slack in front end that I can find. My next step is to have
the wheels balanced on the car. Any other ideas?

Secondly, My D starts of in second gear. I did the solenoid test,
then replaced the governor. Worked fine for a while, then back to
starting off in second. I know the governor did something right,
because I now have a neutral safety. Before, it would start in drive.

I think someone messed with the kickdown trying to make the trans
work correctly before I got the car, and I'm not sure what the
pressure is set at. My next step is to take to a trans shop and have
them look at it using my manual.

Lastly, I drove another automatic car before buying this one and it
would go! Mine has never had the power of the other one, but mine is
in 50% better appearing shape. Comments?

Jim Coleman
Waco, TX
De Oppresso Liber!

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 21:38:01 -0500
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>
Subject: Angle drive lubrication

What's the best way to lube the angle drive? I've been following the
original factory service bulletin and filling it with 90w gear oil at each
oil change. It's been fine so far, but I would like to hear opinions on
other methods. Would greasing it with a grease gun be better? Or would that
be too thick and cause extra resistance?

Thanks

Mark N

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 23:11:01 EDT
From: iznodmad_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Charlotte NC car show

Louie,
    Thanks for letting us know the great information.  As for myself, I will
already be in Charlotte the morning of that Saturday the 16th, so count me
in!  I looked at the Hemmings website and there are 3 car shows on those same
dates, but only one mentioned at the speedway.....is this the one (contact
person Jori Watts)?  BTW, I am posting this to the DML just to let other
DML'ers know that I plan on attending, and also to help clear up exactly
which car show Louie is talking about.  So if you would like to meet me and
my D at the show, just let us all know!

Regards,
Darren Decker

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 07:47:15 -0000
From: james_at_dml_irishjames.com
Subject: New Interest

Hello everyone

My name is James and I am from Ireland , actually only about 200
miles from the old Delorean Factory in Belfast. Well I am only kinda
getting into Deloreans now but god i cannot wait until hopefully next
year when i head out to the States or Canada for good and then I will
be able to get my own Delorean which will be a bit of a step up from
my Camaro and at the moment Toyota Carina. I was wondering if someone
could let me know how easy it isto obtain a delorean over there? and
also could ye tell me when the next major Delorean show is on next
year?

Regards

James
Delorean New Comer
Ireland

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:31:57 EDT
From: jdsjlv_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Brakes and Rotors

Dear List,
    Last night I was driving my D and decided to test my car under extreme
braking. Remembering what many have said about the braking system on these
cars and how the rotors tend to heat up quickly, I figured I would see how
much braking would finally affect the braking force. What I found was that
about 4 to 6 heavy braking situations, going from around 50 to 60 MPH and
dropping down to 10 to 20 MPH heated the rotors up so much that I almost
couldn't stop my D if I needed to. Luckily I have a 5 speed, so if I needed
to stop quickly after the rotors were heated, I could down shift to help slow
the car down (which I need to!).
    I know that cross-drilled rotors for the DeLorean are available and it
helps the rotors cool off as well as gives better braking force, but I have
also heard some negative things about them. Does anyone have any more
information they can share with me? I would like to know how well they hold
up in daily use, how it affect braking, heat dissipation, wear on the pads
and rotors, the availability for front and rear etc. What about ventilated
rotors; front AND rear? Are they available or are the cross-drilled the only
ones?  Also, is there an upgrade for the entire braking system? Are stronger
boosters available, or stronger calipers? Does Brembo (sp) or any other
aftermarket caliper fit on our cars without extensive modification?
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I know that under normal
circumstances the DeLorean brakes are adequate, but you never know when you
may need all the available braking power. With all of the new technologies in
braking, like ABS and Mercedes "Brake Assist," I would be afraid to need the
power and not have it available in an emergency.

Thanks,
Joshua D. Schwartz
Trumbull, CT

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:34:59 PDT
From: "Lynn Metz" <metzlynn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Brakes and Rotors

Joshua:
Do you have the SS braided brake lines?  The rotors heat up, heating the the
caliper, fluid and flexible hoses.  The hoses can then expand and you lose
your braking power.  This is proabbly the quickest, easiest and cheapest
route to try first.  Mid-states Delorean club sells these occasionally.
Check their web-site or contact Marty Maeir (spelling?).
Brian 16584

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:42:12 -0400
From: "Scott Cagle" <sharkywtrs_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean BAE single turbo

All this talk of turbos and twin turbos has reminded me of a question I had
at one time but always forgot to ask.  I know it takes a certain RPM level
for the turbos to effectively kick in, so what is the result on automatics?
Are they set up differently, or is it just a waste?

Scott

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:52:51 -0400
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

I had some discussion a few years back with one on the people who worked
for Legend Industries.  There were a number of internal modifications to
the engine including lower compression forged pistons.  The intake and
exhaust were custom.  Valves, Head gasket, bearings, even head bolts
were all different.

Although it would be possible to re-create this motor, I doubt it would
be economical.  I expect the Caddy northstar conversion is less
expensive, and would yield similar performance without the headaches
associated with of a Turbo... Or a totally custom built motor for that
matter!

To put a turbo on the NOS engines you would have to limit the boost to
about 6lbs to not destroy the motor.  This is what most of the current
turbo kits do.

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:57:52 -0500
From: brownalizat_at_dml_exchange.uams.edu
Subject: question about cooling fans

My husband and I noticed that our 81 delorean VIN 07003 which has always run
cool, overheated last nite.  The cooling fans would not come on even when we
replaced the coolant (which was empty).  Jeff let it run for a while and
noticed no leaks but the fans would not kick on.  Could it be the cooling
fan switch? Or could we wire it so the fans come on when the car is started
and just stay on until the car is turned off?  If we did that would that be
bad for the engine? Also, the coolant bottle is the old plastic kind not the
new metal one that is for sale......but I don't believe the old bottle is
leaking or we would have seen it drip.

We love the car and want to see it run correctly, so if anyone has any
advice it would be great.....

Oh, one other item, someone keyed our front hood when we had it parked
outside a restaurant and left deep gouges in the metal. Is there anyway to
repair that kind of damage?  We are just sick about it, and have talked with
the manager of the restaurant, but now I am more concerned about repair and
installing a car alarm!!

Thanks,

Jeff and Aliza

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:42:50 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <oehcs_at_dml_flash.net>
Subject: Re: To cut or not to cut?

We cut the hood on the 97 Delorean Time Machine and added the gas flap door.   A good sheet metal person should be able to easilty do this.  In order to prevent any initial stretching of the metal we used a  die grinder to make the initial cuts.

bob

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 11:16:06 -0700
From: comet6974_at_dml_juno.com
Subject: Re: New Interest

Not that you would probably want to go back to Ireland so soon after you
got to the US but the 2001 DOA expo is at the old factory. This is in the
End of May around the last weekend, you can get more facts from the DOA
web site at www.delorean-owners.org.

Hope this helps
Trevor Johnson
#6974 & 4???
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:45:20 EDT
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com

james_at_dml_irishjames.com writes:

> could ye tell me when the next major Delorean show is on next
>  year?

James,
Hope you can make it to EUROFEST 2001?
 <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/eurofest2001/myhomepage/profile.html">E
UROFEST2001 - INTERNATIONAL DELOREAN CONVENTION</A>
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/eurofest2001/myhomepage/profile.html

Best wishes,
Robert Lamrock
Organiser