From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2000 2:38 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 177

1. Yesterday in History
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

2. #502, Legend Twin Turbo
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

3. Re: Power antenna installation
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

4. engines
From: "Phil F" <delorean_at_dml_usfamily.net>

5. Re: DeLorean with twin turbo
From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: Angle drive lubrication
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

7. Re: electrical problems relating to fuel pump
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

8. Re: Shimmy at 55 - 60 mph
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

9. Re: Alternative mirror suggestion
From: Bob Brandys <oehcs_at_dml_flash.net>

10. DMC in NC Museum
From: Brian Henderlong <bhender1_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>

11. Re: electrical problems relating to fuel pump
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

12. Re: Brakes and Rotors
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

13. Re: History of Fiberglass panels
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Power antenna installation
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

15. Re: electrical problems relating to fuel pump
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: Importing a Delorean to the USA (Curious about Customs)
From: qrorell_at_dml_aol.com

17. Attempting to contact Louis Petrucci in Australia
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

18. Need To Find New Owner of VIN 02928
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>

19. DeLorean Mid Atlantic
From: delorean31_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: Re: Straight skinny on Hot Start Relay
From: Ann & Ed Thompson <rapparivarat_at_dml_erols.com>

21. Rear Defroster Switch
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

22. Re: engines
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

23. Sandblasting Chassis
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

24. Driving again!!!
From: "Danrc30" <Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. Re: survival box
From: sand131_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:58:08 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Yesterday in History

August 16th, 1995 - DML founded.

:)

James Espey
Founder and Moderator Emeritus

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:34:54 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: #502, Legend Twin Turbo

#502 is privately owned, I believe the owner still resides in Texas.

The twin turbo display engine owned by DeLorean One is just a mockup,
it contains no turbo hardware. I believe it was constructed for the
NADA show in 1981.

#502 was at the Nashville DOA expo in 1996. I think it is possible
you may see it at the De Lorean Motor Company Open House next June in
Houston.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:44:46 -0500
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Power antenna installation

Mark,

I've created a folder in the vault called antenna with the instructions for
installing the rear power antenna.

Bruce Benson

> I read in the archives that there was a Service Bulletin for installing
the
> power antenna. I've been through my book of bulletins and can't find it,
> only the one for the front fender fixed antenna.

> Mark N
> VIN 6820
_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:31:59 -0500
From: "Phil F" <delorean_at_dml_usfamily.net>
Subject: engines

I'm wondering what kind of engines can you put in a "D" without any mods, besides the Caddy Northstar, would a Chevy 350, or a Rover V-8 fit?

-Phil
philf_at_dml_ssesco.com

------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $7.99/mo! ------

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:47:48 EDT
From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DeLorean with twin turbo

Well I guess he is getting his information from either Stainless Steel
Illusion,or how I got it, from the Gold Portfolio book. But it does say with
the Twin Turbo it would get from 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. That was really good in
the 80's. The DeLorean with that engine would beat Corvette, Porche, and
other sports cars.

John Feldman

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:58:59 -0500
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Angle drive lubrication

I'd be inclined to think that 90 weight oil added at the frequency you've
been doing will find it's way into the speedometer head sooner or later and
cause a mess. I use a grease gun ( the same grease I lube the chassis with)
with a finely pointed adapter ( available at autostores ) to shoot a bit of
grease into the hole opened up by removing that small screw on the underside
of the drive. I do it about twice each summer or every 5,000miles. It seems
to work as my speedometer is still going.

Bruce Benson

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:16:04 -0500
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: electrical problems relating to fuel pump

Quite a few years ago I had a friend with a problem very similar  to yours.
First it was just blown fuses, with the frequency of the fuse failures
increasing as the miles built up on the car. Finally it just plain wouldn't
start. We dug up all the electrical information and comments we could find
and found one item pertaining to the wiring loom running across the front of
the car, making a sharp bend at the left front corner of the car, and
continuing rearward. One of the wires in that loom came from the fuel pump
and ran through the inertia switch. Apparently some cars had a problem with
wires chafing or breaking at the area of the sharp bent. After finding no
continuity between the inertia switch and the fuel pump, we ran a new wire
directly from the that switch to the fuel pump and disconnected the wire
built in the loom. He never had another problem. This might be a direction
to investigate.

Bruce Benson

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:05:30 -0500
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>
Subject: Re: Shimmy at 55 - 60 mph

If you can't locate someone to do the on-car balance in your area, you
might want to try to locate a shop with a Hunter GSP9700 balance machine.
This machine also checks wheel runout, tire runout, and lots of other
things that don't get addressed with a standard balance. The Mazda Miata is
very sensitive to off balance tires just as the DeLorean is, and *many*
Miata owners have reported that having their wheels balanced on one of
these took care of all their problems. You can search for local dealers
with one of these at:  http://www.gsp9700.com/

Mark N
VIN 6820

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:13:31 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <oehcs_at_dml_flash.net>
Subject: Re: Alternative mirror suggestion

What type of Toyota was it. I would be willing to cut the  mirror to size if it
would fit.

bob Brandys

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 21:08:42 -0400
From: Brian Henderlong <bhender1_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: DMC in NC Museum

For those of you who like to know about DeLoreans in car museums, here's
one in North Carolina:

Solomon's Collectible Cars
A Museum for Fine Automobiles
101 Burlington Road
Roxboro, NC  27573
(336) 597-5111
http://www.arentallshop.com/SCC/SCC-list.htm

Haven't seen it -- just found it on the web!
- Brian Henderlong / Tampa, FL
- http://home.tampabay.rr.com/deloreans/index.htm

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 21:37:32 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Joel,

First; replace all of the fuses with the specified rating per the workshop and owners manual.
I suspect that you have replaced the fuel pump fuse # 7 with an in-line type replacement. It is also probable that the previous owner has done some re-wiring in the fuel pump circuit.

You can easily temporarily by-pass the RPM relay and force the fuel pump to run by placing a suitable jumper between the brown and white/purple wires at the RPM relay connector. The relay does not have to be installed to conduct this test.

Try this test and let me know the result.

"We're here to help you"

Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 21:49:23 EDT
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: Brakes and Rotors

    The price for the DeLorean braided brake lines are really inexpensive. I
was pricing some Ferrari brake parts, and the exact type of brake line sells
for over $350.00 I consider myself lucky.

Mike

<< Do you have the SS braided brake lines?  The rotors heat up, heating the
the
 caliper, fluid and flexible hoses.  The hoses can then expand and you lose
 your braking power.  This is proabbly the quickest, easiest and cheapest
 route to try first.  Mid-states Delorean club sells these occasionally.   >>

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 21:50:50 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: History of Fiberglass panels

In a message dated 8/17/00 12:09:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
MIst_hunter1_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:

<<  wouldn't it be weird to get all the fiberglass body
 pannels and put them on a driving DeLorean. Boy, it would be right next to
 the panited deloreans.  >>

Hollywood is all about illusion... doing something cheap that looks
expensive.  Which, we assume, is why they were using fiberglas instead of
steel in the first place.  Maybe the owner of the panels would like to jump
in here, but I'm guessing that they may look fine from a distance for one
second in a theater, but I don't imagine that they'd look as impressive in
person, next to the real thing. IMHO

-Wayne

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 21:57:49 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Mark,

I don't know if there was a separate bulletin covering this subject, however, the information you are looking for was part of the Automatic Radio Antenna kit 111291. Parts Bulletin PI-04-12/81 covers this subject. We have the instructions you are talking about, email us directly for details.

"We're here to help you"

Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

  I read in the archives that there was a Service Bulletin for installing the
  power antenna. I've been through my book of bulletins and can't find it,
  only the one for the front fender fixed antenna.

  I'm thinking about converting to this and wanted to see how the factory
  meant it to be done before I tackle this project.

  Is there such a bulletin? What is the number?

  Thanks

  Mark N

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:17:26 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Joel,
I have an idea or two that might be causing some of the problems. Due to the
length of your problem list. If you don't get the solution off the group,
your welcome to call me at home.
John Hervey
972-564-9321

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:28:55 EDT
From: qrorell_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Importing a Delorean to the USA (Curious about Customs)

Just a footnote on "importing cars". I am in the military and was moving to
the phillipines for a couple of years and took a 1970 GMC pickup out of the
country. When I got back to the U.S. several years later was told I needed to
pay import tax and supply paper work that imported truck would meet emmision
standards.
Held them off for a few weeks while driving truck with out of country plates.
When I went to CA. to register, they wanted the same thing. Would not budge
on reguirements. Finally in stroke of insperation pulled out old florida
title and paid fees for out of state vehicle.
Just goes to show all you need is the right paperwork regardleess of the
facts invovled.

Barry

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 21:19:50 -0700
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: Attempting to contact Louis Petrucci in Australia

   Ken Montgomery here, keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory. I'm trying
to track down Louis Petrucci in Australia. The last known email address I
have on record (10/12/99) is: tracey_at_dml_fox.net.au. The VIN # sent was 160227.
That's 1 too many digits to be correct but I'm not sure which one to drop. I
need to hear this from the owner. I don't make up or guess the information
in the Owners Directory.

Since this person is in Australia I would imagine this car could not be too
hard to track down. I'd hate to drop an Aussie car from the Directory!

Ken

BTW, We're up to 747 cars. Let's try to break 1000!
The next edition will be out soon..

Ken Montgomery	Sacramento, CA  VIN #10911  'OUTTIME'
http://www.jps.net/arkham/delorean/delorean01.htm
mailto:kenm_at_dml_csus.edu
Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://members.tripod.com/ncdmc/
http://www.dmcnews.com  mailto:directory_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:49:27 -0500
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Need To Find New Owner of VIN 02928

Hi Group!

  If the new owner of Vin 02928 is on the list, would you please contact
me?
I would like to ask a few questions about the car, and its few minor
mods.

My e-mail address is deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com

Thank You,
Robert Greenhaw
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:39:23 EDT
From: delorean31_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Mid Atlantic

Below is a copy of my most recent email to our club.  I thought it might be
of interest to new DML members from the east coast.  Anyone from any region
is welcome to attend our events or join the club.  Newsletters are published
four times a year.  DeLorean Mid Atlantic is a non profit organization of
DeLorean Owners and Enthusiasts.

Greetings,
  Well it has been a while since we have had our last social.  Although
summer is busy for many of us, the Fall Season of shows looks very good.  The
DeLorean Fall Foliage tour in October through New England is sure to be an
enjoyable event.  Also there is a British Car show in Richmond, VA featuring
the DeLorean this year on September 24th.  Some of us are already talking
about going.  There will be a DeLorean Tech session and picnic as well.
Hopefully this will be an opportunity for some of our Maryland and other
members in the area to get together as well as those of us planning on coming
from other states.  I have updated my events page for the club and there is
information on these two events as well as many others coming up this year
and next.  There are also links to the web sites for more information on
these shows so be sure to check it out.  The Events page web site address is
below.  Also from the events page you can follow the link to our club's home
page at Hemmings Motor News.   I hope to see many of you at one or more of
these events.  Our club had a great showing in Cleveland and we all had a
great time.  Ken did an incredible job.  Feel free to email me with any
questions or with information of a show you know of where DeLoreans are
welcome to attend in our region, and I will add the information to our page.
Talk to you soon!

Gary Gore
Activities Director
DeLorean Mid Atlantic

Events Page:   http://hometown.aol.com/DeLorean31/dma.html

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 08:32:53 -0400
From: Ann & Ed Thompson <rapparivarat_at_dml_erols.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Straight skinny on Hot Start Relay

> I keep it in my survival box ...... The hot start relay does nothing more than
> to prime the system with a little gas thru the cold start injector ......
> To me it's safer than pouring  gas down the air flow to get started .......
> I can't keep gas in the tool box ......

Something to consider keeping in your "survival box" is a bottle of carburetor and
fuel injector cleaner.  It works as well as gasoline in such an emergency and is
infinitely safer.

Ed Thompson (#6419 since 1982)

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:56:59 -0400
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: Rear Defroster Switch

Greetings all,
        Well, My DeLorean is up and running.  It still needs a lot of TLC
but it lives.  One more on the road.  I've found that my rear defroster
switch doesn't function.  It almost feels like there is something missing
inside it.  Here are my requests:

1. Does anyone have a used switch in good working condition or a new one
that they would be willing to part with?

2. Would anyone be interested in rebuilding mine?  It is of no use to me.

If you are interested in both 1 and 2 then I am sure we can work out a deal.
Please email me if you have interest in either.

Thanks!

Matthew
Vin #10365

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:31:11 -0400
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: Re: engines

Phil,
        I know the small block Chevy V-8's fit.  The Vortec V-6 sits nicely
when fuel injected, but if you carburate it the you have to cut a hole in
the engine cover to accommodate everything (there's a list member who has
this setup in a near racing configuration and it really is just beautiful).
The 3800's are great when supercharged.  I hear Don Steiger has done one or
two.
        I believe all of the engines I listed require at least one motor
mount modification as well as a custom bell housing.  I have been doing a
lot of research into this and if you like you can email me to discuss it
further.

Matthew

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:42:45 -0000
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>
Subject: Sandblasting Chassis

Has anyone had their Chassis Sandblasted to remove the old Epoxy
Paint off of it? I want to have the entire chassis stripped down so I
can restore it. Anyone have any luck with the sandblasting? Was it
difficult or did it come off easy with the sandblasting? Thanks for
any info.

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:55:19 -0400
From: "Danrc30" <Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Driving again!!!

Well, I finally got my car on the road again after 4 months of stripping, grinding, replacing broken rusty screws everywhere, and refinishing the stainless. It's back to stainless after being hidden under black and gold paint since 1981. Does it feel good? ABSOLUTELY!!! One improvement I made to my car was go with +2" rims all around. Yes, 16" in the front, and 17" in the rear. I'm running Pirelli P7000 supersports; both have a 45 series tire instead of the 60 series. What a difference!!! This car is asking to be pushed into the turns now. There is some body roll, but I plan on adding a rear stabilizer bar to help remedy that problem. So, if you've ever thought about going with bigger sized aftermarket rims, well... they work!!! And they work well. They look great too! (I'll have pics posted soon.) The car is more responsive, tighter, and steers much quicker everywhere. There are no vibrations anywhere. It rides straight and smooth. Since there is less sidewall on the tire, it!
!
 does harshen the ride a tad bit, but not much at all which was suprising to me. I thought it would ride really rough... but it doesn't! It's softer than the Porsche 944 that I had years ago. What a difference. I mean, the car is handling a ton better now. Very glad I did it.

Well, just thought some might be interested.

---Dan

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:03:04 EDT
From: sand131_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: survival box

Something to consider keeping in your "survival box" is a can of WD40. Other
than the obvious use as a lubricant the propellant is great as a starting
fluid. It is gentle on the engine parts due to it starting with some oil as
well as the propellant. It also works great on small engines such as mowers.
Ralph
Vin1606