From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2000 2:09 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 191

1. Pristine DeLorean-Your Thoughts
From: dga7782_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Red Coolant
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: Re: Delorean Overheating (almost)
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

4. Relay Updates
From: Jim Reeve <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>

5. Used Fuel Pump
From: Jim Reeve <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>

6. Re: new delorean
From: "Rob Hook" <robhook_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

7. Re: Why I didn't make it to Cleveland RE: striping DMC-then rebrushing or painting
From: "Dusty Hurliman" <dustinh2000_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Hard to start...Please help!
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Temp Gauge/Engine Temperature/Zillas
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Restoration pics now online!
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: Re: Dentless at last.
From: billschaferabn_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: Pristine DeLorean-Your Thoughts
From: "Gabe W." <thecreech_at_dml_home.com>

13. Fraternity Vacation
From: jfjr_at_dml_hotmail.com

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 23:28:14 EDT
From: dga7782_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Pristine DeLorean-Your Thoughts

Hello:

I would like a collective response from all the experts about a DeLorean I've
come across that is going to be up for sale soon.  It is an '81 with hood
lines and no gas flap.  Grey interior, manual transmission.  The car has been
kept in a heated garage since it was purchased new.  The owner has put 4,000
miles on it, and when it wasn't being used, he left it up on blocks.  The
interior is Perfect.  Not a single blemish or sign of age.  The engine is
perfect.  It is pristine clean.  Did not get a chance to look at the frame,
but have to assume it is in the same condition as the rest of the car.

This car has been untouched exept for routine maintenance.  EVERYTHING is
ORIGINAL including the tires.  Not one modification.  The power windows do
not work and I would assume, it being almost 20, that there are snafus that
will appear yet.  The issue of gas line vapor damage has come to mind.

The owner is a car collector who took care of all his cars.  He simply wants
to unload the DeLorean so that he can buy a new BMW.  He doesn't want to sit
on it and is considering a price that would make all of you salivate.

What I would like from you guys (and gals) is your educated thoughts about
what exactly to look for, what price this pristine car SHOULD go for in the
market, and any other experienced advice you can give me.  It's not up for
sale yet, but negotiations are in the works.  It is a Michigan car only
driven in beautiful weather.

Thanks.  I look forward to your thoughts!

Kevin

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 00:07:12 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Red Coolant

Jim,
The fan circut breakers are in the compartment behind the passenger. Remove
the board covering the relay's and you will see two circut breakers side by
side up against the back of the front wall. The one on the right is for the
fans. You will see the brown/orange wire and a black/orange  wire coming out
of it. If your fans are clicking on and off the feel the breaker. It might be
overheating and acting like a relay by opening and closing. Also look for any
wires that look like they may have over heated. If you need a circut breaker,
I sell them for $4.50.

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 00:33:25 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Delorean Overheating (almost)

Robert,
If you want some surface mount thermostats that don't depend on the water to
turn the fans on and off,  I have 170 degree +/- 5 degree in stock and have
some 180 coming. $8.95 ea. Great for the survival kit. No tolls required to
put on.I have run them for a while. I like the 180 better. Great for a jam or
to run all the time.

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 00:38:41 -0500
From: Jim Reeve <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>
Subject: Relay Updates

As I slowly work my way through a full inspection of my car, this
question comes to mind.  I have mostly all original relays.  I know
there is an update kit for them, but I was wondering how important it
really is.  Do the original relays pose a fire hazard?  Since I already
have the fan fail bypass, I was thinking of just ordering the 40 amp
circuit breaker for the cooling fans.  Is this a good idea to leave the
relays alone or not?  Right now I'm trying to figure out a logical order
to do my purchases and would appreciate any input that anybody may
have.  Thanks.
--
Jim Reeve <Ultra>
'81 DeLorean-#6960

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 00:43:53 -0500
From: Jim Reeve <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>
Subject: Used Fuel Pump

Heh, me again.  While traveling to Cleveland, the car I was riding in
was unfortunate enough to have it's fuel pump spontaneously fail on us.
Fortunately, someone in our group had a spare we could put in.  I also
know a lot of people have "survival kits" which include fuel pumps.
Well since my funds are tight right now, I was wondering if anyone had a
used fuel pump they replaced from their car, as long as it worked when
they removed it.  All I would need is something to allow me to get home
until I can order a new unit.  I remember someone had one a while ago,
but I dont know if that sold.  Anyway, if anyone has an old pump, please
email me (ultra'at'isd.net).  Thanks again.
--
Jim Reeve <Ultra>
'81 DeLorean-#6960

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 04:04:13 -0700
From: "Rob Hook" <robhook_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: new delorean

Gabe,

If you're referring to the person who said he was hired to do some welding
on the frame, I think everyone pretty much decided that that was a hoax.
For a venture like the DMC2 there would be a non-disclosure agreement the
size of Texas for anyone who even got close to the project.  Even if the guy
was telling the truth, don't expect him to respond as he probably had to
sell his computer to pay the legal fees he got hit with for violating the
non-disclosure.

Speaking of non-disclosures and ventures, does anyone know where to find
John DeLorean nowadays?  I'd spoken with him about investing in my new
computer venture but now that he's not at Lamington Road, I've lost track of
him.  Anyone?

--Rob Hook

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 21:06:00 -0700
From: "Dusty Hurliman" <dustinh2000_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Why I didn't make it to Cleveland RE: striping DMC-then rebrushing or painting

Dan, why did you have to destroy that beautiful paint job?  I never was a
big fan of painted Deloreans, but your looked really good.  I would have
bought another car that was already stainless.  (If only I could afford
it...)
I hope it looks good now though.

Dusty

p.s.  sorry this is so late but I am really behind on reading the posts.  My
mailbox has over 500 old messages.

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 08:14:55 GMT
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Hard to start...Please help!

Hello Joe! First of all thanks for your advice regarding the fuel pump
installation. Everything works fine now.

I got my car back from the garage. It had a high idle, not the 750+/- it had
before, but a reading of 1000/1500. I discovered a loose wire (green and
black I think) on the top of the intake manifold. Checked the Parts Manual,
discovered an idle speed switch under the intake. Connected the
wire/connector to the top of the switch. Got a normal 750+/- idle speed
again. Since it is working now I guess I did the right thing.

However, Id be grateful if you can confirm or deny that what I did was the
right/wrong thing to do. Was it the correct fix or did I just do a quick non
lasting fix? Please tell me.

The garage changed the waterpump too. On the left side of the waterpump
there is a wire connector and switch. I noticed that the connector had two
points sticking out. One of them was broken. What does this switch do? Is it
dangerous to continue driving? I would say that one of the points are
connected, but the other point only has intermittent contact. What is the
function of this connector/switch. What does it do? Couldnt find anything in
the Parts Manual.

Finally, my last question. My DeLorean is very very slow to start these
days. I can keep cranking it for around 5-10 seconds before it starts. It
kind of sputters to begin with, then it runs fine. Sometimes I have to stop
cranking, and try again. Sometimes I have to crank it 3 or 4 times before it
starts. After I crank it and it doesnt start, I hear clicks coming from the
relay compartment (3 or 4 clicks) It is not the A/C. A/C is off. The battery
is fully loaded. New battery. Changed the sparkplugs last year, same with
airfilter. It is just as slow to start whether the engine is cold or warm...
It was not like this a few weeks back. What could be the cause? My garage
couldnt find the answer to this. I hope you can help.

By the way, I also installed a new catalytic converter and muffler. Could
there be anything around this area that the garage has loosened? Im thinking
of maybe a sensor or switch or something that may have something to do with
the starting of the engine? Its really strange, because eventually the car
will start, its just a matter of time. Its just very slow to get going. When
it does start it runs fine.

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 09:41:51 GMT
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Temp Gauge/Engine Temperature/Zillas

Hello all,

I had my DeLorean serviced and installed a new waterpump. At the same time a
small leak was discovered. The garage ran some kind of "radiator cleaner"
through the system, it works by cleaning the coolant lines and hoses, and at
the same time "seals" small leaks.

Wow! What a difference!

The engine is running very low on the temperature gauge after I did this
service.

For those of you who can't remember the gauge: 260 - 220 - 100 F.

Previously my DeLorean had readings right below 220. After I had the car
serviced, the reading is constant right between 100-220. If I drive in slow
traffic now, the needle goes towards the 220 mark, but never reaches 220. In
fact the needle stays just above the "-" mark between 100 and 220. Yesterday
I was in a jam for about 15-20 min with no problems!

By the way, FanZilla is also a good investment. If your DeLorean starts
getting a higher temperature when in a traffic jam, just turn on the A/C.
The cooling fans will come on thanks to FanZilla. The fans come on
sequentially, and not at the same time.

FanZilla has two advantages: You do not get the voltage drop as you did
earlier + that you can turn on the A/C to get the engine temperature down
whenever you feel for it!

Why wait for the fans to come on at around 220?

Also, I just installed TankZilla. The "low fuel" light is not blinking
intermittent anymore. Now when it lights up then I really know for sure that
I must find a gas station. The Fuel Gauge works as it should, and you get a
new impression of our beloved DeLorean...You can drive many many miles
before having to re-fuel ;)

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 05:58:14 EDT
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Restoration pics now online!

Hey List,

       The time everyone's been waiting for...ok...not really everyone...but
after the response I got from everyone who saw my pictures at the Cleveland
car show, I am sure everyone else would like to take 5 minutes out of their
busy schedule and check out the pictures I uploaded to my web page.  As I
noted on the web page, I still have more pictures to upload, so check back in
a week and I should have the rest online, plus I will try and organize the
pictures better so that they are in order of separation.  I pretty much just
put them up there just for the sake of them being online.  Please drop me an
e-mail to tell me what you think of them all.  Thanks!

web address:
http://members.aol.com/njp548

Later,
Nick

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 16:20:49 EDT
From: billschaferabn_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Dentless at last.

Hi All,

   I wanted to share a good Delorean experience today. After 8 months of
ownership I finally have 11096 dentless at last. When I purchased it there
were a total of 5 minor dents and dings. One was golf ball sized ding on the
passenger side rear 6" down from the marker light and right next to the rear
facia/bumper. The rest were 2 -3" creases on all the pannels but the hard to
find front driver side.
Three months ago I had a dentless, paintless body guy do four of the five for
$125.00. He did a fantastic job on all four of them. If I didn't show your
were they were you couldn't find them on your own.
The last one I had done this week. It cost $120.00 and the body shop did a
great job on that as well. It is 95-98% near perfect. Considering the ding
was on the crease line I was amazed it was able to be done. I made sure the
body shop knew "No heat at all" and they were able to hammer the last ding
out. So for a total of $240.00 I have a near perfect stainless steel body
again. It really looks good.

Bill (11096)

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 13:31:20 -0700
From: "Gabe W." <thecreech_at_dml_home.com>
Subject: Re: Pristine DeLorean-Your Thoughts

I would say about 20-25k

Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 01:35:09 -0000
From: jfjr_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: Fraternity Vacation

If anyone has seen the movie Fraternity Vacation, it was on Comedy
Central a while ago, there's a Delorean towards the middle of the
movie.
In one seen, the main characters are driving down the street to this
girl's house.  As they turn into the driveway there is a Delorean
right behind them.  Two scenes later it's gone though.

I just thought that would be interesting to look for.

- James