From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2000 2:09 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 197

1. DMC Wanted
From: bduncan_at_dml_visualmining.com

2. Re: Single turbo muffler
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 01:15:08 -0000
From: bduncan_at_dml_visualmining.com
Subject: DMC Wanted

Hi all,
I posted to the list a month ago looking for a D for sale.
Well, I'm renewing my request.

I am looking for an early '81, automatic, black interior, and
gas flap.  I have been looking for what to me seems like forever,
so I think I may be willing to compromise on every feature listed
above except the automatic transmission.

I am located in Walkersville, MD.

If anyone has a car for sale that may fit the bill, or knows
of a car for sale, please give me an email.

Thanks in advance,
Bruce Duncan
bduncan_at_dml_visualmining.com

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 20:49:06 -0500
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Single turbo muffler

The reason for the large pipe immediately exiting the turbo is to allow the
gasses to completely escape the turbine. The action of the rotating impeller
and the shape of the housing cause the gases to 'roll' out of the turbo, If
the pipe isn't large enough they have a tendency to roll back into the
housing and slow the rotation speed, thereby reducing boost and increasing
lag. Once the gas has passed about 15 to 18 inches the flow has straightened
out. A larger pipe beyond this point wouldn't do much good. In fact the
tapered pipe actually increases the exiting gasses velocity. That's not to
say an even smaller pipe would boost power. BAE did their home work and I'd
stick with what you have.

Bruce Benson

>     I need some advice.  I have a single BAE turbo.  The exhaust pipe that
exits the turbo unit is approx... 3.5 inches in diameter.  This pipe is
about 4 inches long and then is reduced to about 2.5 inches and is connected
to the muffler and then a similar small diameter tail pipe.  Is this a
necessary design?  I think that the exhaust is being choked off.  If I were
to eliminate the pipe reduction and get a bigger inlet and outlet muffler,
would I get more power?  Or would this not provide enough back pressure and
I would lose any low end that I have?  Thanks for your ideas?