From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2000 5:32 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 199

Before posting messages or replies, see the posting policy rules at:
www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
moderator_at_dml_dmcnews.com

There are 25 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1. Re: Re: Turbocharging a DeLorean
From: "Fronzel Neekburm" <MIst_hunter1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: Re: Turbocharging a DeLorean
From: dmcimf_at_dml_aol.com

3. a lurker decloaks - for good reason!
From: "David Cox" <dmcox_at_dml_inetworld.net>

4. Re: comparison
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

5. Re: DOT and EPA standards
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

6. Re: Door locks
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

7. Re: Re: comparison
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

8. Re: problems with vandalsim, etc.
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

9. Re: Volvo Gullwing?
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. DSX Property Co.?
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

11. Permanent solution for engine cover hinge rust
From: "Grimsrud, Knut S" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

12. HELP!!
From: dmc1219_at_dml_one.net

13. Back in the saddle again
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

14. Black Stripe Update
From: joelpash_at_dml_yahoo.com

15. turbo DeLorean
From: drinkware <drinkware_at_dml_lweb.net>

16. Re: problems with vandalsim, etc.
From: SEDeLorean_at_dml_aol.com

17. Rad Dad??
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>

18. Re: Re: comparison
From: fjk143_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: HELP!!
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: Rad Dad??
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

21. Re: Re: comparison
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

22. Re: Rad Dad??
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

23. Re: HELP!!
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

24. Re: Volvo Gullwing?
From: "Gabe W." <thecreech_at_dml_home.com>

25. Re: Re: comparison
From: "Gabe W." <thecreech_at_dml_home.com>





Message: 1
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 03:07:00 GMT
From: "Fronzel Neekburm" <MIst_hunter1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Turbocharging a DeLorean

My thoughts EXZACTY! After I red the article about the twin-turbo delorean, 
(look on Tamir's web site www.entermyworld.com) they found a way to use a 
twin-turbo system. The sad part is if DMC kept going till at least 84, they 
would of had the twin-turbo delorean on the market, along with colored body 
pannels, and blue, red, grey, light blue, and black interior colors. Witch I 
think would of had the company going a little longer, and maybe of squeezed 
out the sedan model. Anyway, it makes you think what John Delorean has 
stewing with his super secret car. And one more thing, do you think the 
sedan model would look like this?
http://zuckuss85.tripod.com/LamborginiMarzal.jpg
Now that I think about it, it seems that when the delorean come out, many 
companys tried their hand at gull-winged cars, but the delorean stayed the 
only gull-winged car on the market. (in the 80's) If their was a long 
decussion about this, (and I'm opening old cuts) I will be gladly redirected 
to it.
John Giedosh aka Fronzel Neekburm
                         __      __
                           \____/
                           /____\
                           0    0
                          DeLorean

>From: fjk143_at_dml_aol.com
>Reply-To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
>Subject: Re: [DML] Re: Turbocharging a DeLorean
>Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:39:32 EDT
>
>Turocharging is a viable method of boosting power IF the engine is designed
>to take it.  I drive a Porsche 911 turbo daily and that engine will run
>forever as extensive mods were made at the factory to support the turbo
>stresses...the same with the turbo Saab...it was engineered to be
>pressurized.  Once again, the poor little PVR was not.  To slap a turbo on 
>is
>high risk in my book.   If you need to go faster than a normally aspirated
>DMC will take you I suggest getting a used Corvette as they are alot faster
>and more reliable than any turbocharged or supercharged DMC would be and 
>they
>are cheap too.
>
>Fred
>6894
>
>
>Before posting messages or replies, see the posting policy rules at:
>www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html
>
>To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
>moderator_at_dml_dmcnews.com
>



_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at 
http://profiles.msn.com.




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 2
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:39:00 EDT
From: dmcimf_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Turbocharging a DeLorean

See   www. electricsupercharger.com    for e-RAM Electric Supercharger.
It is a W/O/T only, electric (50 amp) in line supercharger. App. $350.00 to 
$400.00 
turn key. May be of some help for you. Good comments from Fred #6894.

Bill
D. #6904



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 3
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 22:02:54 -0700
From: "David Cox" <dmcox_at_dml_inetworld.net>
Subject: a lurker decloaks - for good reason!

It's official - after many months of lurking in the shadows here (and learning much - thanks to all for the valuable info), I now have a Delorean sitting in my garage.  Mine, mine, mine!!!  It's an 83, manual, gray interior, with BAE turbo and 44600 miles on the odometer.  There are a number of small things for me to fiddle with, but no more than you'd expect in a car of this age, less actually.  It's in great shape and I'm thrilled to have it.  The only bad news is that I'm leaving on a long-planned vacation, so I got to start my ownership by driving it home and leaving it sit in my garage for 2 weeks.

David M. Cox (DMC ;)
vin #16367


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 4
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:08:11 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: comparison

Not getting too personal here, but you seem to be missing the point. 
Yes the DeLorean could use more power, but it is by no 
means "underpowered" for it's use: daily driving. When you compare it 
to a car such as the Corvette or Mustang, yes the amount of power 
these cars put out, and the accelleration times are better, but 
that's what these car's were designed to do. Yes the DeLorean could 
use more power, many people including myself agree. Even the original 
DeLorean Motor Company agreed as well, proof of that is with vin 502. 
But still, the DeLorean does very well for itself. The D was intended 
to be a car that had luxury, performance, and economy all 
complementing one another. It just wasn't intended to be a "Bad-Ass" 
muscle car for tearing up the track. Like I had said before too, 
hills are no match for the DeLorean. My '97 Hyundai Accent has 92 hp 
and does pretty good on flat surfaces. But when it hits a hill you 
can feel a tremendous power loss. And when it comes to Hondas that 
have V-TEC engines, they're just about useless in the sense that you 
have to come within 1100 RPM's of red-lining the motor in order for 
the V-TEC feature to kick in. Sure they have good results on paper 
and the track, but this extra performance is just not there in 
regular communiting situations. And yes cars such as the Pontiac 
Grand Am use V-6 engines that put out 170 hp, but there always 
mounted up to automatic transmissions. In traffic for quick 
accelleration, manual downshifing in a DeLorean can produce much 
quicker results. Yes the Grand Am is fast, but by the time it has 
kicked down gears and starts to go to try and get ahead of me, I've 
already changed lanes in my DeLorean. Next is the final factor: A 
car's performance is 40% car and 60% driver. If you have a more 
powerful car, but are either afriad to use the extra power, don't 
know how to, or just plain choose not to, then what good is it? A 
chain is only as good as it's weakest link, and the weakest part of 
most cars on the road today is not the powertrain, the suspension, or 
even the safety features, it's the drivers. If you put a naturally 
slow driver behind the wheel of a Corvette, all you end up with is a 
slow Corvette! So in the type of enviornment that my DeLorean is put 
into with slower cars AND drivers, she performs great! If I do run up 
against a car that is faster then me, I no longer compare our car by 
speed, but rather looks. "A Camaro? So what, look there's a 
DeLorean!" If I can't outrun some one, I can sure beat them with 
looks alone! With this mindset I have a win/win situation for my car. 
Either way, I can't be beat! While the main factor in judging the D 
(or any car for that matter) is based upon individual perception, we 
must take in other considerations such as environment and being 
realistic about everything as well.

-Robert
vin 6585

Note: I really don't have anything against Camaros, Corvetts, 
Mustangs, or otherwise. I just use them as examples. Although I do 
admit I am a bit biased in this posting, I just judged my car 
positivly in the same way that others have judged it negatively.



--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, "Gabe W." <thecreech_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> (The author appears to be compairing the DeLorean with automotive 
technology that has been advaced 20 years beyond the it. Consider 
this when making a comparison...Moderator.)
> 
> 
> I don't agree with you on your comparison. Import, muscle and 
exoctic cars
> are not the only cars that perform better than it. Many Sedans can 
easily
> equal it or do better. Basically any other v6 I've seen performs 
better than
> it. And 4s aren't far behind. For instance, the "cheapest car in 
america",
> the Kia Rio has 90 hp while the delorean has 130hp. Thats a 
difference of 40
> hp. That can't be considered a big difference considering other v6s
(like a
> typical pontiac grand am) run at 170 hp. Also using that grand am 
again, the
> 2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine on the grand am gets 150 hp, 20 more 
than the
> delorean. This is why car magazines called the car underpowered(and 
still
> do). The reason that 4s today can outpower the Deloreans 6, is 
simply
> because the Ds 6 isn't updated to the standards the new 4 is, the 
engine is
> 20 years old. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge delorean fan, but I 
don't like
> the car for its performance. After all, every car has its ups and 
downs.
> Besides, you can upgrade your engine(or get a new one)




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 5
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 05:40:18 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: DOT and EPA standards

There are a load of specialty plates available here in Nevada, so 
I'll just stick to the 2 that affect the D the most...
"Classic Rod" plates (which the D will be eligible for in January) 
have no smog, 'customization', or milage restrictions. But as I was 
told from a DMV person, "Classic Vehicle" plates have all three 
restrictions. If you end up with plates that have either a mileage 
customizing restriction, you must provide with your vehicle every 
year a signed affadavit from a certified car apprasier the milage of 
the vehicle, and/or the orignality of the vehicle. In other words, if 
you had cloth seats installed to replace the leather, or even added 
on driving lights, you have not kept the car original and therefore 
are ineligable to obtain/retain the "Classic Vehicle" plates! The 
same if your drive over the mileage limit!
   Long story short, if I get the Classic Rod plates for my car, 
the state expects me to chop and customize my car to the point where 
I will no longer be able to pass a smog check, so they will make me 
exempt. If in the process I remove the catalyitc converter or any 
other emissions equipment, they take the stance of, "If you remove 
it, we don't want to know about it." Whether this would violate a 
federal EPA law, I don't know. But No one could find out since I 
would no longer be required to pass a yearly inspection.
   The moral of the story: Check with your DMV office for both 
elegibility requirements AND restrictions of special plates or other 
wise first before you choose one.

-Robert
vin 6585



--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, "jtrealty_at_dml_w... " <jtrealty_at_dml_w...> wrote:
> The 20 year mark is used by some state dmv's to allow you to get 
> antique plates. It is also used by some insurance companies to
> qualify 
>  for antique insurance. It is also an informal point of demarcation 
> for many car shows.
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757
> 
> 
> 
> 
> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> > Hi list.. i had been reasearching the idea of free
> > flow exhaust etc for my car.. i was under the
> > impression that a car hit "antique" status at 20 years
> > and these mods could be performed..butt...
> > 
> > I talked to a DOT representative yesterday that is
> > pretty high up there in the food chain, he too is a
> > exotic car collector (ferrari) and made it very clear
> > to me that it takes 25 years to be exempt from DOT and
> > EPA standards. So im wondering where everyone is
> > getting the 20 year rule?
> > 
> > cliff
> > 10854
> > 
> > __________________________________________________
> > Do You Yahoo!?
> > Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere!
> > http://mail.yahoo.com/




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 6
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 03:36:21 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Door locks

Exactly, It's ST-31-12/81
Funny thing, though.  I don't see it in the spiral bound book of service
bulletins.  Are there other service bulletins like this that are missing
from the 'official' book of service bulletins?

For the rest of y'all, the 'template' I mentioned is really a fixture like a
lock.  You install it like a lock and it has grooves in it to help position
to make cuts in the door for the new style lock.  Even if I had such a
fixture, I doubt I would bother with it.  I think such a thing wouldn't last
long unless you are very precise with a file.

And I suppose it goes without saying that my shipments came in from PJ
Grady.  I'll see the lock smith tomorrow to see if he can figure out how to
key these new locks to match my ignition key.  I took them apart to see how
hard it would be, and it appears that if I don't want to cut new pieces out
of some brass stock, then I better let a professional do it.  Too bad I just
can't go to my local hardware store and buy a kit of such lock pieces.  At
one time you could do that, but the industry has gotten a bit more snobby
since then.

It would have been nice if the new locks came with a key that fits them.
Then I would only have to re-key my ignition lock.  But then my original DMC
logo locks wouldn't fit anymore, and I shouldn't get into the steering
column if I don't have to.  My ignition key inserts into the new locks fine.
It's the proper blank and all.  I'm just concerned that the positioning of
the flat spots on the key won't properly line up with the new locks.  The
whole idea of getting such expensive locks is to be able to make them match
the ignition.  At worst, I might have to take my ignition lock out and have
the lock smith work a compromise between the two.  But don't let my opinion
here scare you off from buying new locks.  I'm not a professional lock
smith, so I'm really not qualified to give an opinion --- yet.  I'll keep
y'all posted as to how things work out.

Walt    Tampa, FL




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 7
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:25:10 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: comparison

Hey, I sure would like to know about non-turbo/super charging hot rod
techniques for a Delorean PRV-6.  If anyone has done this and care to share
the experience, let me know.  Seeing how someone else did such a thing
step-by-step would be educational.

Walt    Tampa, FL
-----Original Message-----
From: wayne selden <w.selden_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com <dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, August 30, 2000 4:41 PM
Subject: Re: [DML] Re: comparison


>( How about sending these type of messages as private emails as they only
concern two people..... Moderator )
>
>
>Robert , I have vehicle 6549. What part of the country do you live?
>Wayne Selden
>w.selden_at_dml_att.net
>
>
>
>Before posting messages or replies, see the posting policy rules at:
>www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html
>
>To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
>moderator_at_dml_dmcnews.com
>
>





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 8
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:28:27 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: problems with vandalsim, etc.

The only thing I've had so far is finger prints.  I sit in restaurants where
I can watch people look at the car.  About one third of the lookers who get
close have to touch it.  I get hand prints on the windows where people try
to
look through the window tint and various smears and prints on everything
else.  I've even seen 'responsible looking' old men who are as bad as
children with the finger prints.  Parking in conspicuous spots probably
doesn't help the finger print problem.  But I would rather have that than
give people enough privacy to have their way with my car.

I would advise against the electro-shock alarms unless you want toe prints
on the car, too. :)





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 9
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:29:21 GMT
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Volvo Gullwing?

This may be true, yes!
Last year a Scandinavian Auto Magazine printed a small article telling that 
"rumour has it that Volvo now is developing a sports car with gull-wing 
doors"...

I e-mailed both Lotus and Volvo. Lotus denied that they had any plans for 
producing a gull-wing Lotus, but Volvo neither confirmed nor denied this. I 
got the feeling then that there may be some truth in the new gull-wing 
Volvo. I think I even posted something on this on the DML a year back.

Only time will tell... If this car is to be produced I sure hope they make 
use of torsion bars like on the DeLorean...And yes, then Volvo will be my 
next car next to my DeLorean! :)

Seems also that Volvo is to be the "innovative" group within the Ford Motor 
Company. Ford has control over Volvo now.

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN #06759


>From: RHS Linux User <dmc_at_dml_tgoff2.gsfc.nasa.gov>
>Reply-To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
>Subject: [DML] Volvo Gullwing?
>Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:55:56 -0400 (EDT)
>
>Surf over to this web site: http://www.automedia-online.com/e_spion.htm
>and scroll down to the -  Volvo - Supersport entry. This puts new meaning
>into the V associated with the PVR engine.   Is this for real?
>
>Tom Goff,   Highland, Maryland
>1981 DMC-12, gray, 5-speed, vin 7139
>along with six (6) Volvos
>
>
>
>Before posting messages or replies, see the posting policy rules at:
>www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html
>
>To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
>moderator_at_dml_dmcnews.com
>

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at 
http://profiles.msn.com.




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 10
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 02:54:29 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: DSX Property Co.?

In this article:

http://www.sltrib.com/2000/jun/06132000/utah/58214.htm

about Mayer Morganroth and another suit against JZD and family, the 
final two paragraphs read:

>  In 1987, DeLorean was ordered to pay creditors nearly $10 million 
>as a final settlement in the bankruptcy of DeLorean Motors.
>  Two years later, a British high court threw out a $54 million 
>judgment against DeLorean in connection with DSX Property Co., the 
>successor to DeLorean Motors.
>

DSX Property Co., the "successor" to DeLorean Motors? Has anyone else 
ever heard of this?

James

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 11
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:19:37 -0700
From: "Grimsrud, Knut S" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Permanent solution for engine cover hinge rust

On both of My DMC's and nearly every other DMC I have seen that lives in a
rust-prone environment (like up here in Oregon), I have seen rusting engine
cover hinges.  Since the problem areas on the hinge are the inner hinge
portiotion where the surfaces slide across each other, it does not appear
that repainting or powercoating the engine cover hinges would really provide
a permanent solution to avoid thie unsightly rust. Does anyone have a
real/permanent solution to the slight rust typical on the engine cover
hinges?

		Knut





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 12
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:39:50 -0400
From: dmc1219_at_dml_one.net
Subject: HELP!!



Is there any other way to open the trunk when the cable is broken ????

Someone pulled too hard & the cable broke at the latch.  Fortunately, this
is an early '81 with the gas flap.

Richard





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 13
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:56:21 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Back in the saddle again

Been out of town a few days, so I haven't gotten to drive my daily driver, 
daily head-turner D.  Also, my son Richard is now driving, and when we go 
somewhere, I usually take every opportunity to let him drive... our '88 
Voyager, that is!  (I have let him drive the D once, though, even though it's 
a 5 speed)   Anyway, I finally slid in behind of wheel of #11174 again this 
morning, and all I can say is, wow, I really love this car!  The thrill isn't 
gone. And what a waste to have one of these wonderful vrehicles, and not 
drive it.  Well, to each his own, said the man as he kissed the cow!

-Wayne
"Still loving driving a dream!"
11174



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 14
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:52:20 -0000
From: joelpash_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Black Stripe Update

Just writing to update you on my efforts to duplicate that Wide Black 
Stripe.  I am currently waiting for some samples to arrive by mail.  
If one of the materials I get matches the original, I will probably 
be able to create an exact duplication.  Just writing to let you know 
that I am working on it and to hang in there a few more weeks.

Thanks.






________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 15
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:06:09 -0400
From: drinkware <drinkware_at_dml_lweb.net>
Subject: turbo DeLorean

    I have had both a non turbo and my current Bae turbo DeLorean. There is no comparison. The current car is definitely faster. However,  to scream and burn rubber off the line from a standing start would require 200 lbs pressure in the rear bald tires, and the engine rev' ed to 2500 RPM while dropping the clutch. Of course the car would have to be on axle stands and then shoved off! One has to realize this car is no where near as fast as it looks, but is plenty fast enough to get admiring stares, and speeding tickets! As most of the "mature owners" will testify, a properly tuned stock DeLorean is a  great ride!
Marvin 
# 4239


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 16
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:37:52 EDT
From: SEDeLorean_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: problems with vandalsim, etc.

I can't imagine any owner out there NOT having a problem with people rubbing their fingers all over our cars.  It's as if people's oily fingers are naturally drawn to steel, especially if the steel is on a car.
I took it upon myself to place a little sign in both windows (driver & passenger) that says 'look but please do not touch.'  Some family and friends say that the sign is a 'little' arrogant and cocky, but I say please 'look but don't touch.'
Now ask me if the sign has EVER helped...



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 17
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 20:41:51 -0000
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Rad Dad??

This is non Delorean related, but does anyone know how Rad Dad is 
doing on his bike trip around the world?  

Erik Geerdink
4512...back in my hands in 45 hours!!!




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 18
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:44:13 EDT
From: fjk143_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: comparison

Robert #6585 has the correct outlook on our cars much as I tried (and may 
have failed in my attempt) to shed light on in my discussions on hotrodding 
versus pressurizing.  I just chose to have DMC Houston do my car over, even 
though it has 9,400 miles on it, because  all DMC-12's are RARE and even more 
RARE are the unmolested ones that have original wheels, no paint, straight 
panels, nice engine compartments, etc. and low ORIGINAL miles. 

The DMC was originally the DSV (DeLorean Safety Vehicle) (remember?)  and it 
was equipped with adequate performance for the time.  So let us try to 
preserve John Z.'s little piece of automotive history as he originally meant 
it to be.  

I am also a Ferrari collector and some of the early cars are very, very slow 
compared to today's econoboxes.   Enzo made a few 4 cylinder cars that today 
have two commas in their prices...maybe someone should slap a turbo on those 
to go a faster and help them depreciate like anchors to the sea bottom.    
And I'll bet a DMC-12 in good tune isn't all that much slower than a 308 
2-valve!    LOL

Fred
6894



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 19
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 17:00:11 EDT
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: HELP!!

In a message dated 8/31/00 4:26:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dmc1219_at_dml_one.net 
writes:

<<dmc1219_at_dml_one.net >>
bring it over and I'll open it for you 

Ken



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 20
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:31:51 -0500
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Rad Dad??

I think Raddad is very DeLorean related as he's as much a DeLorean
enthusiast as anyone on this list, plus being a good friend of mine. I
received a card yesterday from him. When it was sent he was in Switzerland
but with international mail being the way it is, I'm sure he's moved on.
From the little I've heard from him he's having one heck of an adventure.
There is a web sight www.rmisp.com/young/IndexO2K,htm done by a lady named
Al Young who forwards here journal to a friend in the states who has set up
a really well done web sight. I know Dick ( Raddad ) has been a ridding
companion with Al a few times over the last several months.

Bruce Benson


: [DML] Rad Dad??


> This is non Delorean related, but does anyone know how Rad Dad is
> doing on his bike trip around the world?
>
> Erik Geerdink
> 4512...back in my hands in 45 hours!!!






________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 21
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:40:45 -0500
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: comparison


I agree that an unmolested car will have more value than one that is
modified. The problem is that there must be at least 5,000 unmolested
DeLoreans around yet and I'm sure a good percentage are in nice condition. I
prefer to drive mine on annual cross country trips and the turbo adds a lot
to the driving enjoyment. Turbos do add some maintenance and tuning chores
to owning the car and for that reason may not be for everyone, particularly
those without mechanical talents. By the way, the last 308 I drove, a '79
with those wonderful sounding Weber carbs, would beat the pants off a stock
DeLorean no matter how well tuned it was.

Bruce Benson

>because  all DMC-12's are RARE and even more
> RARE are the unmolested ones that have original wheels, no paint, straight
> panels, nice engine compartments, etc. and low >ORIGINAL miles.
> I am also a Ferrari collector and some of the early cars are very, very
slow
.
> And I'll bet a DMC-12 in good tune isn't all that much >slower than a 308
> 2-valve!    LOL
>
> Fred
> 6894





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 22
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:46:14 -0500
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Rad Dad??

The Al Young address cover the around the world bike ride Raddad is on
should read: www.rmisp.com/young/Indexo2K.htm

Sorry,
Bruce Benson




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 23
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 21:44:32 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Re: HELP!!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, kkoncelik_at_dml_a... wrote:
> <<dmc1219_at_dml_o... >>
> bring it over and I'll open it for you 
> Ken

Good idea. I'd rather we not discuss "how to break into a DeLorean" 
on the list in public. 

Thanks

Dave Swingle





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 24
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:58:36 -0700
From: "Gabe W." <thecreech_at_dml_home.com>
Subject: Re: Volvo Gullwing?

Wow, don't you people see more than just the gullwing doors in the Delorean?
The volvo could have the doors yet nothing else similar. Not to mention
Volvo and a sports car is a combination I have to wonder about.


----- Original Message -----
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2000 12:29 AM
Subject: Re: [DML] Volvo Gullwing?


> This may be true, yes!
> Last year a Scandinavian Auto Magazine printed a small article telling
that
> "rumour has it that Volvo now is developing a sports car with gull-wing
> doors"...
>
> I e-mailed both Lotus and Volvo. Lotus denied that they had any plans for
> producing a gull-wing Lotus, but Volvo neither confirmed nor denied this.
I
> got the feeling then that there may be some truth in the new gull-wing
> Volvo. I think I even posted something on this on the DML a year back.
>
> Only time will tell... If this car is to be produced I sure hope they make
> use of torsion bars like on the DeLorean...And yes, then Volvo will be my
> next car next to my DeLorean! :)
>
> Seems also that Volvo is to be the "innovative" group within the Ford
Motor
> Company. Ford has control over Volvo now.
>
> Best wishes
> Stian Birkeland
> Norway
>
> VIN #06759
>
>
> >From: RHS Linux User <dmc_at_dml_tgoff2.gsfc.nasa.gov>
> >Reply-To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
> >To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
> >Subject: [DML] Volvo Gullwing?
> >Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:55:56 -0400 (EDT)
> >
> >Surf over to this web site: http://www.automedia-online.com/e_spion.htm
> >and scroll down to the -  Volvo - Supersport entry. This puts new meaning
> >into the V associated with the PVR engine.   Is this for real?
> >
> >Tom Goff,   Highland, Maryland
> >1981 DMC-12, gray, 5-speed, vin 7139
> >along with six (6) Volvos
> >
> >
> >
> >Before posting messages or replies, see the posting policy rules at:
> >www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html
> >
> >To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
> >moderator_at_dml_dmcnews.com
> >
>
> _________________________________________________________________________
> Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.
>
> Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at
> http://profiles.msn.com.
>
>
>
> Before posting messages or replies, see the posting policy rules at:
> www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html
>
> To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
> moderator_at_dml_dmcnews.com
>




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 25
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:00:54 -0700
From: "Gabe W." <thecreech_at_dml_home.com>
Subject: Re: Re: comparison

I understand, but you kind of went off into different things on the subject.
I was talking about the ENGINE not the overall performance which you seem to
be talking about(comments on transmissions, slow drivers). Anyway, I just
wanted to try to make it as clear as possible what the D engine is compared
to others out on the road(not overall performance).


----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2000 9:08 PM
Subject: [DML] Re: comparison


> Not getting too personal here, but you seem to be missing the point.
> Yes the DeLorean could use more power, but it is by no
> means "underpowered" for it's use: daily driving. When you compare it
> to a car such as the Corvette or Mustang, yes the amount of power
> these cars put out, and the accelleration times are better, but
> that's what these car's were designed to do. Yes the DeLorean could
> use more power, many people including myself agree. Even the original
> DeLorean Motor Company agreed as well, proof of that is with vin 502.
> But still, the DeLorean does very well for itself. The D was intended
> to be a car that had luxury, performance, and economy all
> complementing one another. It just wasn't intended to be a "Bad-Ass"
> muscle car for tearing up the track. Like I had said before too,
> hills are no match for the DeLorean. My '97 Hyundai Accent has 92 hp
> and does pretty good on flat surfaces. But when it hits a hill you
> can feel a tremendous power loss. And when it comes to Hondas that
> have V-TEC engines, they're just about useless in the sense that you
> have to come within 1100 RPM's of red-lining the motor in order for
> the V-TEC feature to kick in. Sure they have good results on paper
> and the track, but this extra performance is just not there in
> regular communiting situations. And yes cars such as the Pontiac
> Grand Am use V-6 engines that put out 170 hp, but there always
> mounted up to automatic transmissions. In traffic for quick
> accelleration, manual downshifing in a DeLorean can produce much
> quicker results. Yes the Grand Am is fast, but by the time it has
> kicked down gears and starts to go to try and get ahead of me, I've
> already changed lanes in my DeLorean. Next is the final factor: A
> car's performance is 40% car and 60% driver. If you have a more
> powerful car, but are either afriad to use the extra power, don't
> know how to, or just plain choose not to, then what good is it? A
> chain is only as good as it's weakest link, and the weakest part of
> most cars on the road today is not the powertrain, the suspension, or
> even the safety features, it's the drivers. If you put a naturally
> slow driver behind the wheel of a Corvette, all you end up with is a
> slow Corvette! So in the type of enviornment that my DeLorean is put
> into with slower cars AND drivers, she performs great! If I do run up
> against a car that is faster then me, I no longer compare our car by
> speed, but rather looks. "A Camaro? So what, look there's a
> DeLorean!" If I can't outrun some one, I can sure beat them with
> looks alone! With this mindset I have a win/win situation for my car.
> Either way, I can't be beat! While the main factor in judging the D
> (or any car for that matter) is based upon individual perception, we
> must take in other considerations such as environment and being
> realistic about everything as well.
>
> -Robert
> vin 6585
>
> Note: I really don't have anything against Camaros, Corvetts,
> Mustangs, or otherwise. I just use them as examples. Although I do
> admit I am a bit biased in this posting, I just judged my car
> positivly in the same way that others have judged it negatively.
>
>
>
> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, "Gabe W." <thecreech_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> > (The author appears to be compairing the DeLorean with automotive
> technology that has been advaced 20 years beyond the it. Consider
> this when making a comparison...Moderator.)
> >
> >
> > I don't agree with you on your comparison. Import, muscle and
> exoctic cars
> > are not the only cars that perform better than it. Many Sedans can
> easily
> > equal it or do better. Basically any other v6 I've seen performs
> better than
> > it. And 4s aren't far behind. For instance, the "cheapest car in
> america",
> > the Kia Rio has 90 hp while the delorean has 130hp. Thats a
> difference of 40
> > hp. That can't be considered a big difference considering other v6s
> (like a
> > typical pontiac grand am) run at 170 hp. Also using that grand am
> again, the
> > 2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine on the grand am gets 150 hp, 20 more
> than the
> > delorean. This is why car magazines called the car underpowered(and
> still
> > do). The reason that 4s today can outpower the Deloreans 6, is
> simply
> > because the Ds 6 isn't updated to the standards the new 4 is, the
> engine is
> > 20 years old. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge delorean fan, but I
> don't like
> > the car for its performance. After all, every car has its ups and
> downs.
> > Besides, you can upgrade your engine(or get a new one)
>
>
>
> Before posting messages or replies, see the posting policy rules at:
> www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html
>
> To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
> moderator_at_dml_dmcnews.com
>




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________