From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2000 7:06 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 209

1. Coolant
From: delorean31_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Delorean Article
From: yoda soda <yoda_witha_soda_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Oil Sending Unit
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

4. Re: Oil Sending Unit
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: Voltage problem
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

6. Re: Voltage problem
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Re: Voltage problem
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

8. RE: vin numbers
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

9. DeLorean for Sale
From: raid007_at_dml_aol.com

10. Clutch Replacement
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

11. Re: Typical cycle time for A/C Compressor
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

12. Re: Shift linkage adjustment
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

13. Importing a Delorean to the USA
From: "Eric J. Hennebury" <ehennebury_at_dml_performconsulting.com>

14. RE: Dual speed alternator prototype
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

15. Re: dmc2 watch a good investment?
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: dmc2 watch a good investment?
From: drunk_at_dml_thegame.com

17. Re: Oil Sending Unit
From: fjk143_at_dml_aol.com

18. Duty Cost (was: Importing a Delorean to the USA)
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

19. Re: Shift linkage adjustment
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

20. Re: Delorean Article
From: "Fronzel Neekburm" <MIst_hunter1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. Re: Stolen Grill
From: "doctor who" <ohwrd_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. trans filter/Delorean Motor Company
From: "Jeff " <essayons07_at_dml_juno.com>

23. Re: trans filter/Delorean Motor Company
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

24. Re: trans filter/Delorean Motor Company
From: "Robert Bell" <elduke_at_dml_att.net>

25. Re: trans filter/Delorean Motor Company
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 22:34:23 EDT
From: delorean31_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Coolant

I saw a post a while back about a company making a new type of coolant.  I
couldnt find it in the archives.  It wasnt the red type it was something
else.  I know many owners use the red type.  I am getting ready to flush my
system and wanted to know if anyone had a recommendation for the best type of
red coolant and which product they had good experience with.  Brand name and
so on...

Gary

Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 19:37:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: yoda soda <yoda_witha_soda_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean Article

list,
   i was reading this note, and "TWO CARS?!?!?!"
 someone explain....

           EJ

http://mail.yahoo.com/

Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 22:10:58 -0500
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Sending Unit

I'd recommend NOT using teflon tape on any threads that offer access to the
internal engine components. Teflon tape is indestructible, won't dissolve
and can find it's way to an oil passage that it may plug. Teflon paste would
be the better alternative.

Bruce Benson

Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 05:31:00 EDT
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

Walt,

Do not use Teflon tape for it will "split" and could work its way into the
sending unit's hole to create an inaccurate reading.

Use Teflon paste, just a little around the threads.  It will seal and it
wouldn't leak, yet it will allow an electrical contact with the engine so
your oil gauge will work properly.

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D NYC

Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 23:55:51 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Voltage problem

Chris,

What is the name of the alternator you had rebuilt. Motorola, Ducelliar, or Delco.

"We're here to help you"

Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 04:51:34 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Some common areas to check,
Fully charge the battery and load test
Clean all ground connections
If you have a ducy alternator (which by your vin # you shoudn't have)
upgrade to a delco or motorola
Put a voltmeter on the circuit to verify the accuracy of your gauge
Don't forget to clean the ground connection in front of the driver's
side wheel on the frame, you will see alot of wires going to it.

Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 01:51:57 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Chris,
I would think it's a bad gauge, ground or the alternator isn't putting out
14.4 volts or more when it starts up. I would have it checked 1st. That's
easy and most likley they will do it n/c.
John. P.S. If you need and alternator. Look at my listing on the parts of DML.

Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 23:40:02 -0700
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: RE: vin numbers

As keeper of the Owners Directory, I must apologize for not getting another
update up to the website. I've had a death in my family and it's put things
a bit off schedule. I am however, encouraged by the amount of new entries
and updates to really old entries. I WILL get a new Directory uploaded soon.
Updates are usually done 3 times a year. There's not enough new entries to
update it more often.

As to the VIN chronology, I'm sure Knut will do a new version based off of
the next update.

Ken Montgomery	Sacramento, CA  VIN #10911  'OUTTIME'
http://www.jps.net/arkham/delorean/delorean01.htm
mailto:kenm_at_dml_csus.edu
Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://members.tripod.com/ncdmc/
http://www.dmcnews.com  mailto:directory_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 00:16:30 EDT
From: raid007_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean for Sale

Dear Sirs:
I have a 1983 DMC with 21,000 miles sitting in my garage stored for the last
5 years, due to lack of time and health problems in my family I find it
necessary to sell it.
Prior to storage it had been drained of all fluids and fogged in all
necessary engine parts with lubricant for long term storage. I also have ( at
1993 prices) over $5000 in new condition (NOS) original  DMC parts ranging
from shocks , radiators, to many more new parts stored in 6 crates protected
from the enviroment.

I will accept on a first come first served basis, any serious cash offer for
the car and parts together that exceeds $10,000.00 , I am very motivated to
sell and want to close sale by the end of september or sooner, I need the
garage space!!!!!

PLEASE FORWARD THIS OFFER ONTO ANY POTENTIAL BUYER(S) YOU MAY KNOW IF YOU ARE
NOT INTERESTED YOURSELF. ALL E-MAILS WILL BE SCREENED AND THE SERIOUS BUYERS
WILL RECIEVE MY PHONE TO CONTACT ME SHOULD THEY HAVE FURTHER INQUIRIES. I
WILL REPLY TO THEM ASAP.

Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 10:05:17 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Clutch Replacement

Last week which driving home one night I ended up driving thru some
pretty good flood water (6"-8") and everything seemed fine. About 3
days later I heard a small squeak coming from the clutch area
whenever I pressed the clutch pedal. 2 days ago I noticed that it was
starting to seem like my car was losing power durring acceleration.
But today on the way home for lunch it was the worst yet. Starting
out from a complete stop the D is very slow, and if I take my foot
completly off of the clutch there is only a slight change. The RPM's
stay about the same and the car won't jerk forward even when I pop
the clutch. The other symptom is while driving if I hit the
accelerator down to the floor the speed doesn't increase immediately
and the needle on the tach will shoot up. I don't know if this makes
a differance but there are no unusual odors when I stop the car (no
burning smell). My guess at this point is that obviously have a
clutch problem, but I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible that water, dirt, or debris of some sort has gotten
on the clutch plate and is preventing it from gripping properly?

2. If I do end up needing to replace the clutch, is there any easy
way to accomplish this? (in other words is this something that I
could do in my driveway)

3. Along with the clutch would it be advisable to replace the
pressure plate as well?

4. When visually inspecting the clutch plate, pressure plate, etc...,
what signs of wear/damage should I look for?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. the clutch has always seemed a little hard, but I have the
braided clutch line installed.

Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 08:28:14 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Typical cycle time for A/C Compressor

Jim,

The minimum compressor cycle time for proper cooling is 7 sec. on 5 sec. off.

Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 08:48:36 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Shift linkage adjustment

Robert,

There are four nuts involved with gear shift linkage adjustment. Two each on the crossgate cable and two on the gear change tube.

Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 09:39:29 -0400
From: "Eric J. Hennebury" <ehennebury_at_dml_performconsulting.com>
Subject: Importing a Delorean to the USA

Well, I did it!  After three years of my Delorean living at my parents house in Toronto, I finally brought it home to the good old USA (after I managed to buy a house with a garage to keep it in).

I'd like to thank the list member (I can't remember who it was) that pointed out that the Delorean has an EPA sticker, as well as a badge that proclaims that it meets safety standards for the year in which it was produced.  This information was sufficient proof of the vehicle's compliance, thereby eliminating the need to get a letter from the manufacturer (that might have been a little tough).

For anyone who is curious, importing a Delorean from Canada to the US is very straight forward.  I was, however, required to pay duty, since the car was not manufactured in North America (I think it was 2.5% on the first $1000, and 1% for the rest or something like that).  So, for those of you looking for a Delorean, don't rule out the Canadian offerings (just watch for rust!).

Eric Hennebury
VIN 17065 (now a permanent resident)

Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 19:22:35 -0500
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Dual speed alternator prototype

[Knut's personal opinion: I don't think a properly functioning electrical
system requires such exotic alternator work-arounds. I suggest spending
energy finding and fixing the root cause.]

[MODERATOR's NOTE: Although it's fun to imagine the things that could be
done along these lines, because this all appears to be speculation I have
killed the thread. Feel free to send additional notes directly to Walt.]

Walt,

If you really undertake this project, then consider a clutch from a dead A/C
compressor.  You could electronically select the belt that way.  Better
still, put in a SECOND alternator geared for low speed that would cut off
above a certain speed.  That way you'll have a pair of alternators and
belts, which is a Highly Available configuration.

Personally I don't think it's that much of a problem.  It's been 112 degrees
here (!!!?!) and city traffic has caused my D no difficulties: voltage,
overheating, or otherwise.

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN# 4695

Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 06:50:33 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: dmc2 watch a good investment?

In a message dated 9/5/00 8:29:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, bjmccool_at_dml_home.com
writes:

<< How would one go about putting the $3000.00 down for the DMC-2 watch/car?
 I noticed that the DMC-2 watch site just says "under construction, will soon
 have an interview with John Delorean". Is there an address or phone # to
 contact
 someone at? >>

You could e-mail his daughter, Kathryn DeLorean.  She had the flyers at
Cincinnatti, and can no doubt give you an address. (I have a flyer at home
with an address, but not here with me.)  You can e-mail me for her e-mail
address.  She mentioned it publically at Cincinnatti, but I don't want to be
presumptuous and post it online.

-Wayne

Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 10:32:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: drunk_at_dml_thegame.com

Now that there is a bit of a thread started on this, does
anybody have a link or contact information on the
contract/watch? I am interested and thought it was a neat
watch without the car attached. Is there a link available
anywhere?

-Brad

Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 10:46:55 EDT
From: fjk143_at_dml_aol.com

From a technical perspective, Teflon has a high concentration of chorlides in
it, which can help induce stress corrosion cracking (a bad thing).  I doubt
if that would be much of a concern in any automobile system, but in any
system of high stress (thernal, especially) you will find that halogens are
prohibited for that reason.  Come to think of it though, I would not use a
anti-sieze compound that has a halogen derivative component (chlorine,
bromine, etc) on intake/exhaust manifold bolts/studs or any other fastening
device internal of the engine.  The stainless steels are especially
susceptible to halogen-induced stress corrosion cracking (SSC).   Has anyone
had an exhaust manifold bolt head twist off while removing?  The failure
mechanism could very well be SSC not simply the surface rust that you see.
DO NOT count on NAPA, PEP BOYS, etc to sell only the compounds that do not
have halogens - check for yourself to be safe.  I seem to recall one of the
Nevr-Seez products was halogen free, but not all - so be careful for long
term's sake.

Fred

Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 10:13:04 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Duty Cost (was: Importing a Delorean to the USA)

Without asking you how much you had to pay to bring it in, I'd like
to know on what price they base the duty - original retail, your
buying price, a book value (if so, which book?).

James

SNIP

Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 12:22:25 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Robert, Sorry, I somehow left of the last sentence of this post.

Here it is again with the missing sentence added.

  Robert,

  There are four nuts involved with gear shift linkage adjustment. Two each on the crossgate cable and two on the gear change tube. Which one are you referring to?

Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 17:01:04 GMT
From: "Fronzel Neekburm" <MIst_hunter1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Yoda Soda, two cars is what hes working on, one 1250 HP doozie and a 20,000$
one, thats all I heard. If I heard right, I might be wrong!
John Giedosh aka Fronzel Neekburm
                         __      __
                           \____/
                           /____\
                           0    0
                          DeLorean

http://profiles.msn.com.

Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 18:07:36 GMT
From: "doctor who" <ohwrd_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stolen Grill

why not just put a car alarm on w/a microwave proximity sensor that way the
horn sounds if someone should decide to take something else off the car,
like the radio, or even the car itself. Plus most insurance companies will
relay a discount to you for putting a alarm that will disable the vehicle
and (hopefully) prevent theft.

I understand how you feel, I've had my car broken into as well.

ciao,
dr c.

From: "Mike " <mquinto_at_dml_msn.com>
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Stolen Grill
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 01:27:17 -0000

Hello List,
   Well yesterday I wanted to wash a car in the driveway. So I moved
my DeLorean out of the driveway and into the street out front of my
house.
After I was done I went in the house for about an hour. I went back
outside to move my D back in the driveway. And what do you think I
didn't see, my grill!
I couldn't believe it, I felt so dirty and violated.

   When my new grill is delivered I'm going to add two small metal
cables to attach from the grill to the facia. And I'm also thinking
of adding a hot wire with a door plunger to break the circuit, I want
the cars horn to go off when someone tries to remove the grill.

Or am I just being really paranoid about leaving my Delorean outside.

Regards
Mike Vin#1113

http://profiles.msn.com.

Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 19:07:02 -0000
From: "Jeff " <essayons07_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: trans filter/Delorean Motor Company

I found out today that 2 suppliers do not have the auto trans
filter.  I was told to clean mine.  One company, Delorean Motor
Company of Texas was no help at all!  I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM
THIS GUY!  I wanted to find out what type of Renault auto trans was
in the Delorean so I could try and find a filter elsewhere.  His
response was "Tell them you want a filter for the Renault trans that
is in the Delorean"...DUH!!  Usually people who are involved in
collector type cars are more than happy to talk to you about them and
to help solve your problems.  Oh well, not this guy!

Does anyone know of a source for auto trans filters, or what type
transmission is in the car?  I think the trans is from a R-20/R-30.

Also, what did Delorean do to make the engine/transaxle set up work?
Did they move the ring gear from one side to the other?

Jeff

Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 18:30:34 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: trans filter/Delorean Motor Company

I'm not sure who you spoke to here at DMC (Houston) or when you
called, but I think most will agree that your experience was atypical.

The Renault transmission used in the DeLorean is a Renault R30. To my
knowledge, the DeLorean was the only vehicle sold in the United
States that used this exact transmission configuration. There was an
old Renault sold in the states in the early eighties that shared some
components with this transmission. Will a Jeep-Eagle be able to help
you find the part? Maybe. When you get it and have a question about
installing it, will the Jeep-Eagle dealer be able to help you as far
as it's application in the DeLorean? Doubtful.

When we used to get the filters, they were imported from France. The
price has gone up considerably, and we have taken to cleaning and
re-using them with excellent results. Another problem is the gaskets,
another difficult to obtain and expensive part.

Regarding parts cross-references, I think all the long-time DML'ers
know my opinion of cross-reference parts. For those who don't, these
helpful links are provided:

http://www.dmcnews.com/backissues/dml389.html
http://www.egroups.com/message/dmcnews/1327

The DeLorean is rapidly approaching 20 years of age, and nearly as
many years being out of production. A great deal of time, effort and
expense has gone into sourcing countless DeLorean parts. Why would we
do this? Yes, we love the DeLorean car, and want to see them on the
road. We believe that in 98% of all instances, the Lotus/DMC
engineering staffs had the right ideas, so sourcing OEM replacement
parts when the factory stocks (our warehouse) were depleted was a
necessity. Finally, we went through this effort and expense because
we are a BUSINESS, and it's our job! We buy these parts in quantity
(usually the only way that original suppliers will sell them) which
results in an additional large out of pocket expense. Then we pay for
warehousing and/or storage of these parts until we sell them - more
expense. If we gave out this information, eventually we would be out
of business, and then what would you do when you needed a non-cross
reference part or qualified technical advice from a shop with nearly
20 years experience on literally over a thousand DeLoreans?

Everyone who buys parts or has service done at De Lorean Motor
Company is entitled to free technical support for themselves (or
their mechanic if having someone else do the work). Because of the
nature of our business, we try and help everyone that calls. But when
someone just wants information from us so they can go and get a part
elsewhere, anyone can understand why we take a dim view of that. And
you'd be surprised at how often it happens.

If you felt you were treated unfairly, Jeff, I apologize on behalf of
De Lorean Motor Company. I'm sorry that you will "never buy anything"
from us either. I hope that when the time comes you need a part that
you may not be able to get elsewhere, you will give us another try.

Regards,

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 15:44:26 -0500
From: "Robert Bell" <elduke_at_dml_att.net>

Don't want to start anything, but I think you are wrong about DMC Houston.
As many times as I have been in their place of business ( and that has been
more than I can count) I have never seen any of the people working there be
anything other than very helpful.
Maybe you caught him at a bad time ( we all have them) or just maybe that
was the right answer..dont know myself as I always try to buy Delorean
parts, that way there is no question.
Anyway, just my thoughts on your message for what it is worth.
Bob Bell
Houston, Texas

Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 21:43:19 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I can't believe that you couldn't get more help from DMC texas, they
are usually very helpful. Whatever the case the problem with the
filter is complicated. It is indeed a Renault part but is is made
special for the application in the Delorean. There are no more
available right now unless you can find an N.O.S.  But all is not
lost.There is a very good workaround. After removing the filter
carefully hold the edge where it is folded over all around against a
grinding wheel removing only enough to expose the seam. Disassemble
the filter and keep track of the order of assembly, there will be a
top, a metal support baffle, a mesh screen, and a bottom.Clean all of
the parts being careful with the mesh screen.Cut a piece of 1/4"
copper tubing 19 1/2" long and then slit it lengthwise with a cutoff
wheel. Reassemble the filter. Place the slit tube around the filter
hold it together hammering as you go. Solder the ends together. Now
you have a filter that can be easily cleaned by just cutting off the
copper in the future. Make sure that what you are doing is ABSOLUTLY
CLEAN and that there are no loose pieces of solder or bits of metal.
After putting the trans back together check the line pressure as per
the manual, it is a good indicater of the general health of the trans.