From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2000 9:04 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 214

1. RE: Stainless Steel Bumper Letters
From: thai vu <thaiqvu_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Gas Struts
From: sand131_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: loose steering column
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

4. Delorean prices
From: cbl302_at_dml_msn.com

5. Re: Stainless Steel Bumper Letters
From: fjk143_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: Strange Noise and belt problem
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

7. Re: Clutch Replacement
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

8. RE: loose steering column; struts
From: Darryl Tinnerstet <darryl_at_dml_techline.com>

9. Re: Oil Sending Unit now trans filter
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. Re: Tranny Filters
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: loose steering column
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

12. Re: Re: Oil Sending Unit now trans filter
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

13. RE: Gas Struts
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

14. Stolen Grill Found
From: "Mike " <mquinto_at_dml_msn.com>

15. Re: Need Help - Richmond Show
From: Murray3307_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: Need Help - Richmond Show
From: Jim Senft <jpsenft_at_dml_erols.com>

17. Re: Clutch Replacement
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

18. Re: Need Help - Richmond Show
From: Ann & Ed Thompson <rapparivarat_at_dml_erols.com>

19. Re: Graphical comparison of new DMC engine
From: Bob Brandys <oehcs_at_dml_flash.net>

20. Re: COMPARISON OF NEW DMC ENGINE TO SINGLE TURBO ENGINE
From: Bob Brandys <oehcs_at_dml_flash.net>

21. Re: Climate Control Problem
From: "Michael R Dixon" <investment_at_dml_sunnet.net>

22. Our first "long" trip
From: "Howard S. Smith" <TeacupFox_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 20:40:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: thai vu <thaiqvu_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Stainless Steel Bumper Letters

Don at DMC in Garden Grove, California has a few of
them left. His phone number is 714-554-6794.

--- Jack & Virginia Stiefel <stiefel_at_dml_minalco.com>

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 00:59:41 EDT
From: sand131_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Gas Struts

I had been using my head to hold up the louvers rather than fork out the
$60.00 for a pair of new ones. So I took one off and went to Murray Auto
Parts and asked Jim the mgr. if he could match them up. He sold me 2 Strong
Arm # 4423 and said if they didn't work bring them back. They work fine and
the cost is about $36.00 for two and they have a lifetime guarantee. I
replaced both so they could possibly not match up in length with one OEM
strut. Sorry but haven't checked the trunk or door struts as yet.
Ralph

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 01:44:59 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: loose steering column

Sounds like the steering column bushing in the firewall has given up
the ghost. It is a stock item that all the parts suppliers (including
De Lorean Motor Company) carry.

See item #23 at this link:

http://www.delorean.com/dmcstore/ViewDir.asp?PageID=68&PageCat=5%2DSuspension+and+Steering

Order it online here:

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/BuyNow.asp?PartID=548&Qty=1

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 07:05:15 -0000
From: cbl302_at_dml_msn.com
Subject: Delorean prices

Good News!A Delorean in average to very good condition is worth MORE
than a 1983-1985 Lotus Esprit Turbo a Lotus is between $12,250-
$13,900 for average for all three years and excellent is between
$15,400-$17,700 VS a Delorean is $9050.00(low)$14,250.00(average)and
$23,175.00(high)for all three years.You can check it out at
WWW.nadaguides.com Caution!You can only make five vehicle model
checks per a 24 hour period,after that it locks you out.

Claude

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 08:12:20 EDT
From: fjk143_at_dml_aol.com

Stainless letters can be purchased from <A
HREF="http://www.de-lorean-steel-products.purespace.de/english.html">De
Lorean Steel Products English</A> in Germany.   If the link doesn't work, try
www.de-lorean-steel-products.de/english.html.

Fred

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 03:03:53 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Strange Noise and belt problem

It is possible that the belt may have cut a water hose, but more then
likely it was just the cooling system pressure rose too high and the
radiator cap blew. Although this is a normal safety feature to
prevent any hoses/pipes from breaching, I'd still perform a system
pressure test to make sure everything is still sealed properly.
Remember, 15 psi.

<SNIP>

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 15:08:45 -0000
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch Replacement

My advice would be to call one of the Delorean dealers up and tell
them exactly what you are experiencing. 9 out of 10 times they will
be able to help you out and track down your problem. They are helpful
and very knowledgeable. But I will list a few things you may be able
to check.

You can check the slave cylinder for any rust inside the bore by
removing the cylinder from the tranny and taking the rubber boot off
the top of it. Look inside the bore for any rust or pitting. Usually
if it has rusted (or pitted) it will start to leak. Check for leaks
on both the master and slave cylinders.

I just learned (thanks to Rob Grady) that there were three types of
Throw out bearings. One of them has a steel sleeve and the other two
have plastic inserts in them with splines. The two with the plastic
inserts only differed in the number of splines that were on them. The
one with the steel sleeve was prone to rust and cause the Throw Out
bearing to stick and in some cases actually seize. That's why they
changed over to the plastic insert ones. Could it be possible you
have the one with the steel sleeve? Maybe, but I know they changed it
over on certain VIN's, I don't know when they did it. Like I said,
one of the Delorean dealers can help you out with that.

> 1. Is it possible that water, dirt, or debris of some sort has
gotten
> on the clutch plate and is preventing it from gripping properly?

If any water had gotten onto your clutch plate or pressure plate and
rusted it, you would hear sqealing but should go away. Same as when
your car has sat for few days and the rotors on your brakes form a
little rust you hear a squeal that then goes away after driving it.

> 2. If I do end up needing to replace the clutch, is there any easy
> way to accomplish this? (in other words is this something that I
> could do in my driveway)

You can do this in your driveway, I am currently doing mine. You will
need a clutch alignment tool to install a new one yourself.

> 3. Along with the clutch would it be advisable to replace the
> pressure plate as well?

Buy a clutch kit (not the kit with all the hydraulics and hoses). It
will come with the pressure plate and disc if you need to replace the
clutch. I would recommend getting the Centerforce clutch. You can
either get it from Rob at PJ Grady's or if you have an ATV store near
you they can order it for you. You can find the part numbers on my
site. www.dmcman.homestead.com. If you change the clutch make sure
you change the Pilot bearing and Throw out bearing at the same time.

> 4. When visually inspecting the clutch plate, pressure plate,
etc...,
> what signs of wear/damage should I look for?

When inspecting the clutch plate, look for any cracks, the thickness,
glazing and any other signs of wear on the pad. When inspecting the
pressure plate look for any grooves on the mating surface (will sort
of resemble a record, you know the ones before CD's :)). Check the
fingers on it also, make sure they are all at the same height and
that none of them are bent or lower than another one. The fingers I
am referring to is where the Throw out bearing sits on and pushes in
when you press on the clutch pedal.  Also check the flywheel for any
grooves.

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 11:11:43 -0700
From: Darryl Tinnerstet <darryl_at_dml_techline.com>
Subject: RE: loose steering column; struts

Take a close look at the outer mesh tube of the steering column under the
dash.  It has probably broken in several places, as mine did recently.  I
carefully welded mine back together, but the proper fix is a new column
(#106939 _at_dml_ $185 or so).  Another problem which can cause a lesser amount of
movement is a failed bushing where the column goes through the firewall.  I
reproduce those out of tough Delrin plastic for $10.95.

As for the person who asked if other gas struts would fit, it is common
knowledge that there are interchanges for the louver and hood struts that
are very close.  The door struts, however, are unique to the DeLorean, but
modern replacements can be purchased from any reliable DeLorean parts
supplier for about $59.95 each.

--
Darryl Tinnerstet
Specialty Automotive

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 15:27:44 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Sending Unit now trans filter

There should be no performance gains from removing a GOOD trans
filter. A filter has nothing to do with ratios. The only thing it
could affect is line pressure and that controls the shifts and the
pressure to keep the clucthes from slipping, and the flow to the
cooler causing it to overheat.The danger is that as the dirty fluid
goes around in the closed system it will ruin the pump, seals,
bearings etc.I don't know anyone who would try running without a
trans
filter except for troubleshooting purposes. You wouldn't try running
without a fuel filter and that isn't a closed system.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, Bob Brandys <oehcs_at_dml_f...> wrote:

> I heard a rumor at the BCD.  Someone was crediting you with
claiming
that
> removing the filter in the automatic transmission,  improves its
> performance.?   You just have to change the oil more often.  Is
this
true?

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 17:55:38 EDT
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Tranny Filters

Bob, I assume you're directing this at me, since I did attend the BCU show in
Chicago this past weekend and I did speak with one of the "D" guys about auto
tranny's.

   Like all rumors that have been told over and over, the answer is:  Yes and
No.

   What we've found on about a half dozen auto tranny's we've worked on is:
the filter is very restrictive, even new, almost to the point of starving the
tranny for fluid during normal operation.  We do have a few tranny's
currently running without filters installed and, to date, they have performed
very well, especially for automatic Deloreans. These cars have only been
running for a couple of years so, at present we do not have any long term
info concerning possible additional wear.
    As far as just changing the fluid more often to offset not having a
filter, that's NOT the case. These owners realize there is a risk of
additional wear and / or possible damage involved in not having a filter
installed.  The "performance vs wear" thing is a trade off which involves
some risk, and each owner must decide for themselves if they want to accept
this risk.
    I was only passing along information we have gained thru personal
experiences working with these cars. Each owner must decide for themselves
what to do with this information and what risks they want to accept in using
this information.

   You've probably played with auto tranny's as much as anyone has,
especially with the setup you've got in your BTTF car. What is your
experience with this ?

   Marty

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 09:15:17 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Joe,

Check the condition of the steering column bushing located where the column goes through the firewall.

"We're here to help you"

Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

  http://profiles.msn.com.

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 19:01:56 EDT
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Oil Sending Unit now trans filter

Dave,

  It's not the filter which causes the problem, it's the restriction it
creates in flow which causes the problem.  If you took an engine which
required a 1/2" fuel line to properly feed it and installed a 1/4" filter in
this line, even tho the filter was brand new, you would still hurt the
engines performance by restricting the flow to it.

   It's the same with the tranny filter. Like you said, the tranny operates
on fluid flow and when you restrict this flow, you hurt the performance. And
I'm not talking about old, dirty filters, I'm talking about brand new tranny
filters being restrictive to the point of causing a performance loss.

   We're not directly increasing the performance of the tranny, only allowing
it to perform better thru less restriction. Now someone just needs to come up
with a tranny filter which allows this to happen.

   As far as running a tranny without a filter. Again, like you said, a
tranny is a closed system. By being a closed system, it is far less prone to
being contaminated then an open system, such as a fuel system, where you are
constantly adding fuel and /or whatever to it from an outside source. Thus a
tranny filter is cleaning the same fluid over and over again.  You are
correct, a tranny thru normal operation does create it's own internal
contaminates thru clutch slippage, etc, and these contaminates will cause
wear to other internal parts. But so will restricting / starving the system
for fluid flow cause transmission wear.

   Again, running the tranny without a filter is a trade off with a risk
involved. You must decide for yourself what to do.

   Marty

In a message dated 9/11/00 4:13:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net writes:

<< You wouldn't try running
 without a fuel filter and that isn't a closed system.
 David Teitelbaum >>

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 21:56:58 -0500
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

Early in my Delorean ownership I attempted to replace the bonnet lifts with
"close match" interchanges off the shelf.  The parts I got were the correct
size but WAY too overpowered.  The hood would <THUNK> when it opened and
required I stand in the front and push down the middle with both hands to
get it closed.

I worked it out by putting a new strut on the driver's side and an old, weak
strut on the passenger side.  I figured I was always opening and closing the
trunk from the driver's side and it therefore needed a stronger lift.  It's
worked well so far.

My other struts, however, are genuine reproductions from my Favorite
Delorean Parts Supplier.

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN# 4695

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 03:16:44 -0000
From: "Mike " <mquinto_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Stolen Grill Found

Hello List,
 Last Monday I had my Grill stolen of my DeLorean. So in desperation
I posted Signs around my neiborhood offering a reward for the return.
I didn't expect to see it again so I ordered a new one from Houston.

 Well tonight I received a phone call from a gentlemen who found it.
He told me that he was taking his daughter in her stroller to the
grocery store. And he found it a block away lying in the gutter with
mud on it.

 He didn't want any reward for it,he just wanted me to have it back.
He told me he knows what its like to have someone take something away
from you. He had his truck stolen 2 times.

 From the look of the grill the tried prying off the emblem on both
sides bending it slightly. The side of the grill is cracked a little
but not noticeable. And 2 of the pegs on the back were bent and one
missing. I think someone tried stomping on it.

To bad I already bought a new one, a little tlc and it would be as
good as new.

But I did learn a lesson, there are good people out there.
Regards
Mike Vin#1113

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 21:45:54 EDT
From: Murray3307_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Need Help - Richmond Show

Does anyone have the particulars as to location and directions to the
Richmond auto show  the weekend of September 23rd? If so please post this
information!  Thanks.

                                                                       Murray

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 05:39:13 -0400
From: Jim Senft <jpsenft_at_dml_erols.com>

Information and maps can be found at
http://www.britishcarclub.com
See you there!
Jim #5832

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 02:54:58 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

1. Is it possible that water, dirt, or debris of some sort has gotten
on the clutch plate and is preventing it from gripping properly?

"From your description your clutch parts are probably worn out. A leaking rear seal will cause oil to collect at the bottom of the bell housing, driving through deep water can cause the oil to float on to the clutch components."

2. If I do end up needing to replace the clutch, is there any easy
way to accomplish this? (in other words is this something that I
could do in my driveway)

"A clutch job is not something you want to attempt in your driveway. It is extremely labor intensive, especially if you have never dropped a DeLorean transmission."

3. Along with the clutch would it be advisable to replace the
pressure plate as well?

"A proper clutch replacement requires replacing all of the clutch components inside the bell housing."

4. When visually inspecting the clutch plate, pressure plate, etc...,
what signs of wear/damage should I look for?

"Scoring, burn (overheated) areas, wear, oil."

While you have the flywheel out change the crankshaft lip seal.

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 08:02:29 -0400
From: Ann & Ed Thompson <rapparivarat_at_dml_erols.com>

> Does anyone have the particulars as to location and directions to the
> Richmond auto show  the weekend of September 23rd? If so please post this
> information!  Thanks.
> Murray

You are referring to the "Richmond British Car Show 2000" on the 24th being
hosted by the Central Virginia British Car Club in Richmond, VA on Browns Island.

Much has been written here about this show.  Search the archives or go to
<http://www.britishcarclub.com/> and click on "British Car Day" for more
info.  There is also info at <http://www.dmc12.com> regarding the show and the
workshop event on the 23rd.  This is a significant show for the DeLorean because
it is the featured marque this year.  They are expecting over 30 DeLorean
entries.  I expect to be one of them.

BTW, unfortunately there is no information regarding this important show on the
DMC-News web site at <http://www.dmcnews.com/>.  I do not understand that.

Regards,
Ed Thompson (#6419 since 1982)
Midlothian, VA

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 08:06:55 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <oehcs_at_dml_flash.net>
Subject: Re: Graphical comparison of new DMC engine

I have completed a comparison of the new DMC engine compared to a stock Delorean
engine.

The graph can be found in the egroups  files area.   under  New DMC engine
comparison. The new engine comes alivea above 2000 rpm all the way to 6000 rpm.
It produces up to 77% more torque at high rpm than the stock engine.

Nice Job Steve.

Bob Brandys

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 08:18:49 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <oehcs_at_dml_flash.net>
Subject: Re: COMPARISON OF NEW DMC ENGINE TO SINGLE TURBO ENGINE

I HAVE POSTED ANOTHER GRAPH ADDING THE COMPARISON OF THE NEW ENGINE TO MARTY'S
SINGLE TURBO ENGINE.  IT CAN BE FOUND IN THE EGROUPS FILES. UNDER TURBO
COMPARISON.

THE GRAPH IS INTERESTING IN THAT BOTH CARS ARE ABOUT AS FAST IN THE 1/4 MILE.

IF WOULD BE AN INTERESTING RACE.  BOTH CARS WOULD BE PARALLEL UNTIL ABOUT 60
MPH, THEN THE TURBO WOULD PULL AHEAD.  AT 80 THE NEW ENGINE WOULD CATCH UP AND
BOTH WOULD FINISH ABOUT SAME TIME.

BOB

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 08:30:44 -0500
From: "Michael R Dixon" <investment_at_dml_sunnet.net>
Subject: Re: Climate Control Problem

Check fan direction!
--
Michael R. Dixon
The Investment Center
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 13:05:51 -0000
From: "Howard S. Smith" <TeacupFox_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Our first "long" trip

We purchased our D last April with 348 original miles. We have the
engine broken in and it seems to be running fine. We have not had any
problems so far (knock on wood) and we now have 1,200 miles on the
car. We are planning to attend the Richmond, Virginia British Car
Show where the D is the marque. This is a four and half hour drive
from where we live (I-95 at 65 mph most of the trip).  After reading
the message board for some time I feel a little uneasy about the trip
(should I have someone with a roll-back on call?) There always seems
to be so many problems everyone talks about.  Am I worrying
unnecessarily or are there some things we should address before
making this trip. Any suggestions would be welcomed.  Just looking
for a "comfort level".  Thanks. Just want to have a fun time and
don't want to take a full complement of tools in lieu of clothes.