From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2000 1:06 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 220

1. RE: Parking Brake Handle
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

2. Re:Brake lever pops up
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

3. Rare items auctioned
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

4. New De Lorean Parts Site
From: "John Hervey" <dherv10_at_dml_aol.com>

5. Re: Finishing touch to your Gullwing collection
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

6. Re:
From: Dee Moats <Dee-Moats_at_dml_excite.com>

7. Clunk in turns
From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>

8. DeLorean spotted in Levittown, NY
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

9. MODERATOR NOTE - DMC2 and Watch stuff
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

10. Delorean WAtch
From: "Gabe W." <thecreech_at_dml_home.com>

11. new delorean
From: "Gabe W." <thecreech_at_dml_home.com>

12. Re: In JZDs Defense: Finally, it's 'DeLorean Time' or maybe not
From: CIAsleeper22_at_dml_aol.com

13. RE: Re: Finally, it's 'DeLorean Time' or maybe not
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_home.com>

14. First 1000????
From: cbl302_at_dml_msn.com

15. DMC Parts Database for MacOS X
From: Michael Reinemuth <micha_at_dml_delorean.de>

16. DMC2 Discussion List started
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

17. ADMIN - THE OTHER LIST
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

18. Re: Parking Brake Handle
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

19. DMC for sale w/ Vortec engine
From: at88mph_at_dml_mobis.com

20. Driving the DeLorean
From: "Danrc30" <Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. fuel distributor for sale
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>

22. Cold Engine running and Speedo
From: "chris" <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>

23. Re: Clunk in turns
From: <mikeatk_at_dml_concentric.net>

24. Re: Caravan to VA show from NJ
From: "Howard S. Smith" <TeacupFox_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 23:07:34 -0500
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Parking Brake Handle

Willie,

This is usually due to the rubber boot over the brake handle.  If you remove
it, the handle will probably lay flat.  If so you may be able to modify the
boot to get the desired results.

In my case, I discovered that there is no "notch" at the end of the brake
handle travel.  In fact, there is an "anti-notch" that tends to push the
handle back up a bit.  So when I had my brake handle out of the car, I
introduced him to Dr. Dremel and <poof> it sits flat!  I had to cut really
close one of the mounting screws but it could be done.

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN# 4695

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 00:20:54 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re:Brake lever pops up

In a message dated 9/16/00 12:03:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time, wmack_at_dml_vt.edu
writes:

<< my parking  brake handle does not stay fully in the down position (brake
off).  When i  try to press it down, it pops up one click and the brake light
comes on.
 Any ideas, suggestions? >>

Yep.  Mine too.  Slide off the rubber boot.  I'll bet it won't happen
anymore. Ok, so you don't want a naked lever.  Then do this:  the door side
carpet is higher than the seat side.  It's the boot snagging the carpet that
gives the problem.  So, when you grab the booted lever, give the boot a
slight inward twist, so the bottom edge of the boot rotates toward the seat.
It will clear better.  If that's not enough, double click it:  go as far down
as it will go, then release the button.  Press it in again and you'll find it
can be pressed down another click.  Provided you rotated the boot inward.
Mine used to do this all the time 'til I figured this out!

-Wayne
"The New DeLorean Manuals project"

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 00:44:23 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Rare items auctioned

To All,

I have just opened a booth at Yahoo Auctions. I have pair of front shocks, engine compartment hinges, and a luggage rack currently listed.
Click on this link for details. http://auctions.yahoo.com/booth/dmcjoe

"We're here to help you"

DMC Joe / De Lorean Services / <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 06:33:41 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <dherv10_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: New De Lorean Parts Site

Hey Group,
My web site is up and running. Adding new Fixes and finds and will be
posting as much info as i can. Check it out. I will have a new fuse
box replacement up in less than a week along with other new fixes.
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 09:43:22 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Finishing touch to your Gullwing collection

This car was in a movie a while back. Don't remember the name of the
plot, but it had something to do about a corrupt record producer
played by Ernie Hudson. The movie was on Cinemax late one night and
only caught my attention because of the shot of the guy closing the
door. The car has also been at this dealership for a while. As I
remember correctly he also had a DeLorean on the lot with a burned
out clutch that sold pretty quickly as soon as it arrived. Somebody
put alot of effort into creating the doors, but man they look like a
pain to close! Those heavy struts must make it pretty stiff to have
to pull down.

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 04:22:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dee Moats <Dee-Moats_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Re:

I fixed my parking brake in 1982 but unhooking the brake light.  For some
reason between then and now the handle is back down in the bottom notch.  I
guess that shows that time fixes all problems.  Dee

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000 21:17:35 -0400,Willie from dmcnews_at_dml_egroups .com wrote:

hey guys i've got another question for ya.   For some reason my parking
brake handle does not stay fully in the down position (brake off).  When i
try to press it down, it pops up one click and the brake light comes on.
Any ideas, suggestions?

Dee-Moats_at_dml_excite.com

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 07:52:55 -0400
From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>
Subject: Clunk in turns

Another cause of clunking in the rear when turning is a sticky bearing
that will "let go" with the force of the turn which is the clunk sound
you hear. In a 1985 DeLorean World issue Don Stegar of DeLorean Motor
Center in Garden Grove is shown spraying lubicant on the rear axle to
solve this problem.  I had it with my first car and used to spray mine
and the clunk when away until the lubricant needed refreshing.

If anyone can second this root cause it may help those who are having
this problem.  It may not always be the more serious trailing arm bolts
about to let go.....it may just be a simple need to lubricate the
bearing.

Tom

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 02:22:59 EDT
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean spotted in Levittown, NY

Hey List,

      Tonight a friend of mine told me about a De Lorean that a friend of his
spotted in Levittown, New York.  We found it tonight, I was going to go up
and check it out, but it was really late  (1:30 AM) and I didn't think it
would have been a good idea to do that.  From what I saw its in really good
shape.  I was just wondering if anyone on the list owns that car?  I believe
the street name that the car was on is Trader Lane.  Its a few blocks from
Jerusalem Ave.  I didn't catch the license plate.  If you are on the list,
Mike De Luca is planning a get together in october that you might be
interested in going.  If your on the list please e-mail me privately maybe we
can get together and I can show you the restoration I am doing on my De
Lorean.

Later,
Nick
1852
http://members.aol.com/njp548        <---frame and body separation pics

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 12:02:23 -0500
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: MODERATOR NOTE - DMC2 and Watch stuff

The next 8 or so message that you will see come through are on this topic. I'm interested as a moderator in knowing whether this discussion is of interest to the group at large.

My undertainty stems from the fact that while it DOES pertain to our charter
of "the car/the man/the company", the topic is so full of conjecture and
speculation that I personally find it as annoying as off-topic posts on
Bricklins and Camaros. I'd really rather the list stay on the topic of the
operation and history of the car that we have, not speculation about jewelry
and a mysterious new car.  But - if this is what the list wants, we'll let
it run, judiciously moderated, at least for a while.

So let's try something new. Please send your opinion PRIVATELY to poll_at_dml_dmcnews.com, (if you don't see the address, it is poll -at- dmcnews.com)   I'll publish the results in a few days. And try to keep postings to discussion of reality.

Dave Swingle - about to get iron handed on this one.

Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 15:41:21 -0700
From: "Gabe W." <thecreech_at_dml_home.com>
Subject: Delorean WAtch

Also, like I said, the watch is a test to see the interest in dmc2 and get
funds for dmc2. If it doesn't sell theres a much higher chance of no dmc2
coming out. Read the quote from deloreantime.com:

The watch is going to be the launching pad for John's newest endeavor, the
DMC2, a totally new automobile .

By the way the guy who made the watch idea certainly is brilliant. If you go
to this page: http://www.deloreantime.com/announce.htm
You can see the salesman technique they are using easily, they make some
comments that turn me way away from the watch like:

These timepieces will be specially made for a few of DeLorean's most loyal
enthusiasts.

And:

. While not for everyone, at $3,495 this timepiece is designed for serious
collectors and DeLorean enthusiasts.

They imply that to be a loyal delorean fan you are going to buy the watch.
The technique they use is an old classic status technique, pretending that
by getting the watch you are in a special group and are better than other
people, which makes me sick.

Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 18:13:33 -0700
From: "Gabe W." <thecreech_at_dml_home.com>
Subject: new delorean

Did anyone else notice that on deloreantime.com on the interview about the new delorean, john z said it would be "well under 30,000", which could mean more than the thought of 20k

Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 19:01:34 EDT
From: CIAsleeper22_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: In JZDs Defense: Finally, it's 'DeLorean Time' or maybe not

Claude (and anyone else hyperventilating) -

The DMC2 watch may seem to be like a stretch, I believe Mercedes-Benz has
apparel of all sorts available at prices lower than the watch that John
DeLorean is offering.

However you have to realize what this "DMC2 watch" actually is. John is not
in the business of making watches, he is in the business of making cars. As
he himself said in his own words during the trial, "Cars are all I've ever
known."  This watch is merely a way to raise the much needed capitol for
building the new car. Basically it is a concession of sorts, where if you put
up that amount of money, you get this watch, just as when you donate 30
dollars to PBS, you get a tote bag. Its the exact same thing. Not only that
but John DeLorean had offered the watch, AND the reservations of the new
DeLorean to us owners and enthusiasts FIRST, at the show in June.

The watch really IS beautiful. I think it was only a Timex or something, but
Kathryn DeLorean let me hold it in my very own hands, and let me tell you
this thing is heavy and gorgeous. Not to mention, think back 20 years and
think how interesting it would be to own something that DeLorean had been
offering before they had even put out the DMC-12. Its a true piece of
automotive history in the making, even if the warranty doesn't exceed more
than a year or so.

John DeLorean has always dabbled in other projects. From crafting the first
GTO in his garage, to the monkey mobile, even thru the busses and Logan snow
mobiles, John DeLorean has always had bright ideas, and this is just another.
He's a dreamer, and that's what dreamers do.

However I understand your complaints, I would love to see an actual picture
of the new DMC2, and waiting seems to be the hardest thing to do. But in the
meantime, we should try to support John DeLorean in his efforts.

Just my two cents,

Justin Scott
5172

ps- if I'm not mistaken, there were a lot of DeLorean CARS sold without a
warranty what so ever, let alone a watch.

Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 21:16:57 -0500
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_home.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Finally, it's 'DeLorean Time' or maybe not

Claude wrote:
-
>>> DO NOT CARE FOR A WATCH,I WANT A DMC2,to put down the
$3495.00 as a Deposit(After I touch and see and TEST DRIVE the REAL
DMC2) and not use money that could go towards payment
for the DMC2,wasted on a trinket,I don't want to put the man down,but
either come out with the car,or stop beating around the bush,with
expensive trinkets,I have found in business words mean nothing,action
means everything.SO SHOW US THE------CAR----->>>>>

To be honest here Claude, I don't know if you are aware of the difficulty of
getting a brand new from the ground up car into production. Even on a
limited
basis, it will take at least 1 or 2 years from the first announcement. Of
course
the watch isn't worth $3495.00, but if a thousand people buy the watch and
reserve their
place in line, this equals $3.4 million that could go towards getting the
car to everyone
a little faster, and also serve as a solid investment attraction to other
potential
investors. The contract for buying the watch also stipulates that your money
will be refunded
if the car is not forth coming, so what are you worried about? Besides, I
worked at a jewelry
store for a little while and saw people plunck down $2500.00 for Movados and
Rados that
were pieces of crap in my opinion, and you didn't even get the option of
buying an
awesome car at the end of ownership. You've got to understand that since the
original
Delorean Motor Company ceased in 1982, that there has been constant
speculation that John
will be coming out with another car, and finally, after almost 20 years,
here it is!!!
I'm as realistic as the next person, and know that John is getting older and
his credibility
with business community isn't the greatest after his last car
venture(regardless of innocence).
But this is the moment we've been waiting for, and I am quite sure it will
never come again.
I think we should be dancing in the streets!!

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 03:33:32 -0000
From: cbl302_at_dml_msn.com
Subject: First 1000????

Hmmm,let's see,1000(THE first 1000 watches) watches at
$3495.00....WOW $3,495,000.00.I think I will Get into the watch
business.Who wants to be a millionare. I Do I Do!!

Claude
000570

DWC (Delorean Watch Company)
will it ever become the DMC company

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 19:01:45 +0200
From: Michael Reinemuth <micha_at_dml_delorean.de>
Subject: DMC Parts Database for MacOS X

I actually would everybody know, that we are working on a new DMC Parts
Database running on MacOS X (in Cocoa Enviroment). I will post more
about features and release date soon...

Stay tuned!

--
Gruss

Michael Reinemuth
eMail: micha_at_dml_delorean.de - Heidelberg, Germany
http://www.delorean.de - DeLorean Site Deutschland

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 12:34:06 -0500
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: DMC2 Discussion List started

Well - THAT's certainly interesting timing.

This following message was just issued by the newdelorean discussion list on
eGroups. Feel free to go there and subscribe etc. To get to the dicsussion
group (the web site does not tell you this) go into egroups and locate the
discussion group called "newdelorean". If you are already an eGroups member
(i.e. of this list) you can just add it to your list of groups that you
subscribe to. According to the main page the list is unmoderated.

This is NOT affiliated with DMCNews in any way. I happened to be on the announcement list from when it was set up a year ago.

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 14:43:14 -0500
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: ADMIN - THE OTHER LIST

DeLorean Mailing List subscribers:

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE [DML] (the DeLorean Mailing List) and [DMC2] (the one you may be getting tons of mail from all of a sudden) ARE NOT THE SAME LIST.

We have nothing to do with the other list and cannot turn it off!

When  you go to unsubscribe or change to digest the DMC2/Watch mailing
list, BE SURE that you unsubscribe from the right list. All that email you
are seeing (I'm getting it too) is NOT from the DeLorean Mailing List. They
do seem to have a bunch of our subscriber names, though. Not sure how.

FYI - this will also be a nice demonstration of why the DML is a moderated list.

Dave Swingle - DeLorean Mailing List

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 00:53:33 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Willie,

This is a common problem usually caused by either the rubber handle cover and or trim carpet. The easiest fix is to just readjust the microswitch at the base of the handle so that it does not switch on until the second or third click.

"We're here to help you"

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 15:42:37 -0500
From: at88mph_at_dml_mobis.com
Subject: DMC for sale w/ Vortec engine

I am finally giving up on my engine swap.  Its just too complicated for my
little pea brain.  I've decided to sell the car and am asking $10,000 obo.
The car is in excellent condition inside and out (can email pics if
necessary)  The engine is already mounted in the car, (Vortec V6 TBI out of
a '94 S-10) but some of the fuel system,
exhaust system, and very minor wiring need to be done to finish the job.
I'm tired of looking at it every weekend and not having the money or the
brain to finish it up.  Its been sitting for about 10 months and I also have
a spare auto tranny and bellhousing that I will include with it along with
various DeLorean memorabilia.  Please, serious inquires only.

Thanks,

Duke
www.geocities.com/at88mph_1999

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 22:05:10 -0400
From: "Danrc30" <Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Driving the DeLorean

Today was a nice and sunny day here in NJ. So, of course, I was driving the D.

I bought the car in January of 1998 with 13,500 miles on the odometer. Today, it hit the 30,000 mile mark. I love driving my DeLorean. :-)

---Dan

Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 05:04:27 -0000
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: fuel distributor for sale

Hi,
I put a fuel distributor up for auction on eBay.  If anyone is
insterested in it, please go to
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&item=436404447&r=0&t=0

All money that is made from selling delorean parts goes into 4512.

Thanks

Erik Geerdink

Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 09:16:14 +0100
From: "chris" <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Cold Engine running and Speedo

Hi

When I start my DMC it runs fine, but if its been running for about a minute and i push the throttle down it hesitates and looses power then when the engine has warmed up its fine again. Any ideas

Also the speedo works fine but both the trip and milage counters do not work. I checked the Lambda clock which said 74 and i have done around 150 miles since and still says 74, but a unit is obviously 300 miles.

Any ideas

UK

Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 03:05:29 -0700
From: <mikeatk_at_dml_concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Clunk in turns

Walt, I had this problem as well.  A member described the fix on his web
site about a year and a half ago.  I lubed up the bearings as you mentioned
and it went away.

Mike Atkinson
vin16232

> If anyone can second this root cause it may help those who are having
> this problem.  It may not always be the more serious trailing arm bolts
> about to let go.....it may just be a simple need to lubricate the
> bearing.
>
> Tom
> #05732

---

Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 15:12:54 -0000
From: "Howard S. Smith" <TeacupFox_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Caravan to VA show from NJ

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, "Danrc30" <Danrc30_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> A few of us will be driving down together to the VA show early next
Friday afternoon. If anyone from the NJ/NY/PA/DE area would like to
join our little venture, please e-mail me privately. Tell me where
you're coming from so I can arrange a meeting place and time. I'll do
my best to accommodate all. Thank you.

> ---Dan

Your complete e-mail address is not given on the message board--we
would like to caravan with you--we are also leaving Friday afternoon
from Lancaster County, Pa and planning on taking I95--anywhere we
could meet along the way???Please e-mail us at Teacupfox AT aol.com