From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2000 8:29 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 229

1. Re: those angle drive blues? Maybe not
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

2. Ducy to Motorola swap in an '82 p 2
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: Motorola swap in an '82
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

4. Check those trailing arm bolts, and a couple questions ...
From: "Mark Hershey" <dmcinfo_at_dml_thehersheys.com>

5. Crome Powder Coated Wheels
From: billschaferabn_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 23:39:50 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: those angle drive blues? Maybe not

In a message dated 9/21/00 7:24:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ultra_at_dml_isd.net
writes:

<< I noticed my speedometer had stopped
 working.  Dang.  However, when I was making a run between buildings, I
glanced
 down and it was working!  >>

One possible problem.... I have it on good authority... poor connection
between speedo cable and angle drive or lambda.  A lot of more expensive
possibilities too.  I got my dead speedo fixed today.  Lower cable collected
water, rusted through, broke.  Angle drive is fine!  Whew!  Glad I had my
mechanic check it out before I blindly bought an angle drive!  Don't open the
angle drive to check it, by the way.  Check with your DeLorean supplier for
details.  He'll be glad to help you figure which way to go.

-Wayne
11174
(13,421 miles and counting)

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 23:39:52 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Ducy to Motorola swap in an '82 p 2

Thanks list members for all the suggestions.
eGroups seemed a bit sluggish... I didn't get any replies in time for the
mechanic, but they are here for the record.  I reluctantly called Rob
Grady... who's always very helpful but I didn't get the thing from him and
felt terrible wasting his time to ask.  (I did just buy my speedo cable from
him... so I'm not a total deadbeat I guess!)
He told me what to do, even sent me a fax of the wiring diagram from the
appropriate service bulletin. No problem.  The guy's a prince!

-Wayne

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 23:39:51 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Motorola swap in an '82

In a message dated 9/21/00 7:02:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
srubano_at_dml_optonline.com writes:

<< f I were you I would
 upgrade to the DELCO alternators that are available. >>

Yeah. I know, (sigh.)  I've spent several thousand dollars on my D since
February.  I haven't got a "twenty thousand dollar" D yet, investment wise,
but I am carrying a credit card balance.  I got a "D parts car Motorola" and
had it tested at my friendly auto electric shop.  That's what I installed.
Frankly, voltage wise, I see no difference.  Arggh!  A compromise, but we
never carried a credit card balance for, oh, say twenty three plus years.  My
wife doesn't mind my car hobby but an unpaid credit card balance drives her
CRAZY.  Today I replaced not only the alternator but the lower speedo cable
and fuel pump.  Labor:  $100.  I was afraid it would be a lot higher. :)
I'll spring for a Delco when Mr. Amex says "no payment due!"
-Wayne

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 22:44:57 -0500
From: "Mark Hershey" <dmcinfo_at_dml_thehersheys.com>
Subject: Check those trailing arm bolts, and a couple questions ...

Well, it finally happened to me--broke a passenger-side trailing arm bolt
last night crossing a railroad track.

Fortunately I was going slow, but it still threw me partly into the leftmost
lane. No loss of control (of the car, at least) and managed to get over to
the right lane without incident. Fixed it tonight (had spare bolts);
absolutely no sign of other damage to undercarriage, fiberglas, stainless
panels, etc.

Others have not been so lucky.

Shear pattern suggested no partial previous crack or prior damage (clean
break) and the bolt was not bent. Car has 150K miles and the bolts were last
checked at 100K and looked fine.

Please, everyone, check these things! If there is ANY sign of deterioration,
replace 'em. I'd even consider replacing on principal alone at 30-40K
intervals. I was going slow, but what if ......

So, here's the first question: The original bolt was marked RO 109 and the
replacements are marked SS109. I assume these replacement are correct since
I got 'em years ago from Delorean One-Houston, but after all these years is
this still the optimum bolt material and grade, or have we learned more? In
other words: James Espey and DMC Joe,  is this still the one you recommend?

The other question: Is there an "average" number of rear alignment shims
typically found? Mine are all missing now and I don't remember how many were
there. Would like to start off as close as possible until I can get to an
alignment shop.

\\ Mark Hershey, VIN 2790
Mobile DeLorean A/T governor test bed (6 months going strong with mods to
original gov... report coming soon!)

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 23:59:25 EDT
From: billschaferabn_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Crome Powder Coated Wheels

   DML'ers,

   I have finally got 11096 up on 4 jack stands and all four wheels off. I
was going to wait for winter to do this but wanted to get ready for the Oct
car show in IN. Sooooo I have had all four wheels sandblasted and ready to be
powder coated tomorrow. "Finish First" near Loves Park , IL will do the
powder coating for $40.00 a wheel and they recommended a crome powder coat
for the same price I was going to pay for the silver. They said they have
done wheels for other cars in the crome and it really looked sharp. So I
can't wait to pick them up at 2:30 P.M. and put my new Yoko ATV's on them and
get the "D" back on the street. I hope the crome is as nice as I think it
will be. We shall see.

Bill (11096)