From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 9:10 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 245

1. Cross references lists (was Lotus Esprit windshield)
From: "L. Sandel" <ls_at_dml_chickencow.csv.cmich.edu>

2. RE: "What model number?"
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

3. MSD ignition coil (was 30,000 mile maintenence)
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

4. Re: Installing ignition dist
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: Installing ignition dist
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

6. Re: 30,000 mile maintenence
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. title
From: "Lynn Metz" <metzlynn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: Fluid in Auto Trans(was Trans leak)
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

9. Re: 30,000 mile maintenence
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

10. Re: Installing ignition dist
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

11. Re: 30,000 mile maintenence
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

12. front shocks for sale
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>

13. Alternate Transmission
From: tahoe98_at_dml_mindspring.com

14. Digest Number 244
From: rbrogren_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: Installing ignition dist
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

16. Stereo replacement dimensions
From: nbrommer_at_dml_krem.com

17. Re: Coils (Bosch and MSD)
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

18. Re: title
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Digest Number 244
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: 30,000 mile maintenence
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

21. Re: Digest Number 244
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

22. Re: title
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

23. DeLorean pre-purchase inspection
From: azelin242_at_dml_hotmail.com

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 00:00:29 -0400
From: "L. Sandel" <ls_at_dml_chickencow.csv.cmich.edu>
Subject: Cross references lists (was Lotus Esprit windshield)

> If y'all are interested in Delorean cross-reference lists, here's an
> interesting one.
>
> http://labwww.csv.cmich.edu/luke/auto/delorean/  This is hosted by Luke
> Sandel.
>
> This is where I got the info on the Lotus Espirit windshield.  But according
> James Espey and Dave Stragand, this is wrong.
>
>Of course you all realize that if it's on the internet, then it must be
>true.  Right

Eeek!

It very well may be wrong.  I didn't create the list, just duplicated it
from DMC12.COM, and made some additions from DML postings (and my own
discoveries).

With the plethora of windshields available from Houston, I wouldn't
personally even consider another route.  If you think DeLorean glass is
expensive, check on glass prices for a Jeep.  A friend of mine got a deal on
a rear windshield for his Jeep's hardtop at $1700.  The rest of the fixed
glass was astronomical in price.  You could replace all your DeLorean's
glass twice over for the price of one full set of Jeep.

-Luke

Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 23:06:00 -0500
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 05:01:24 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: MSD ignition coil (was 30,000 mile maintenence)

Let us know if you have any luck installing an MSD ignition coil.  I looked
into it and found that there are a few different makes and configurations.
I'm wondering what would be best for the Delorean.  I've installed a Jacobs
Electronics model on an old GM car with a noticeable improvement in
performance.  Since this is just a simple MSD unit, I'm going to try hooking
it to my Delorean when I have the time and see if I get a worthwhile
increase in horsepower.  I think the best place to mount the unit would be
in the computer compartment behind the driver's seat.

When I go to the local weekly car shows, at least half of the older cars
there have MSD's installed.  Is that any indication of how good they are?

One complaint about the Jacobs Electronics brand module is that it draws a
few milliamps when the ignition is switched off (about what the clock in a
stereo uses, so it's not a big deal.)  This could be fixed by hooking it up
through the ignition switch, but the instructions insist on having a 'clean'
connection to the battery.

I have heard that the spark advance curve is different on a turbocharged
Delorean, and some of the fancier MSD units adjust spark curve.  So what you
would need for a turbocharged Delorean may not be the same as what would go
on a non-turbo.

Hope this helps,
Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 09:25:52 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Installing ignition dist

In a message dated 10/3/00 11:55:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com writes:

<< Do I get the # 1 firing cylinder in the firing position and have the
 distributor rotor pointed at the small mark on the inside of the distributor
 housing? and then put the cap on it?  question, How do I get the #1 cylinder
 in the correct firing position?  what number should the mark on the pulley
 line up with? ...email  me privately. >>
(quote snipped)
David,
those are very good questions- I'd like to know the answer too. Please post
the responses to the DML.

-Wayne

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 14:19:30 -0000
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

David,
You don't have to get the engine to the #1 firing position as you
stated to change the distributor cap and rotor. The mark "1" on the
cap is used as a refrence for when you are plugging all of the spark
plug wires back onto the cap. To make thigs a little easier, leave
all the wires plugged in on your old cap and remove it from the
distributor (cap and wires together). Don't unplug the wires from the
spark plugs either. I would suggest replacing the rotor under the cap
at the same time. After you have removed the cap with the wires still
attached, install the new cap onto the distributor. Now one by one
starting from the mark "1" on the old cap unplug each wire and plug
it into the new cap. For example: Unplug the wire from the mark "1"
on the old cap, plug it into the marke "1" on the new cap, take out
the next wire next to it (dosen't matter from which direction you are
going) and plug it into the same corresponding spot on the new one.
This way you won't mix up all the wires by unplugging them all.

Hope this helps.

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 14:28:00 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: 30,000 mile maintenence

Forget the msd coil, if automatic trans change the fluid (dexron II)
and filter and pan gasket, change final drive fluid (90 weight),don't
forget there are heater hoses and 4 hoses on the water pump, skip the
impulse coil if it's working, lube the angle drive and speedo cables,
adjust the valves, time the engine, adjust the fuel mixture, and
after
driving change the motor oil and filter.If you are not sure about
doing the timing or valves take it to a shop, you have to go to a
shop
anyway to do the mixture adjustment. Inspect the frame for rust, c-v
boots for rips, radiator for leaks, tires for damage, inspect all
grounding points for cleanliness, loose or mising parts, bent
trailing
arm bolts, etc. You should treat this as you would a 100,000 mile
check-up on a daily driver because of the age of the car and if you
are not the origional owner you don't always know how well it was
taken care of.You might also consider flushing the brake system with
dot 4 castrol GTLMA. If the tires are not wearing evenly or the car
pulls do an alignment.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, Jim Reeve <ultra_at_dml_i...> wrote:
> This winter, I'll be slowly conducting some 30,000 mile maintenance
on
> my DeLorean.  On my list is...
>
> Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor
> Oxygen Sensor, Reset LAMBDA counter
> Fuel Filter, Air Filter
> Cooling System flush, replace all hoses
> AC and Alternator Belt
>
> Also what I found when looking at factory recommendations was
change
the

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 07:28:44 PDT
From: "Lynn Metz" <metzlynn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: title

Mike (and group):

When I titled my car in Ohio, about 3 years ago, they have the model as
"SCE", the first 3 digits of my VIN.  Make is DeLorean, but no other
deisignation is given besides "SCE."
Brian
16584

http://profiles.msn.com.

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 14:34:19 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Re: Fluid in Auto Trans(was Trans leak)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, "jtrealty_at_dml_w... " <jtrealty_at_dml_w...> wrote:
> You did not mention if it is a manual or automatic. Assuming it is
an
> automatic Also check the level in
> the final drive, many of the units I have seen were very low.

This is probably a good point to emphasise. In manual transmissions
there is only one place to put/check fluid. In Automatics, there is
the ATF part that you check from above, AND a final drive part that
contains 90W gear oil that you check from below. I'd guess that many
mechanics miss the second one assuming that since it is all one
transaxle unit the ATF is all there is.

Dave Swingle - a manual guy

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 14:39:04 -0000
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

Adjusting the Timing on your engine is not that difficult but I would
let a mechanic do it for you if you have never done it before and you
don't feel comfortable working with extreamly high voltages (from the
distributor).

You will need a Timing light and some white paint or white chalk.
Follow the manual for detailed instructions on how to perform the
adjustment. Use the white paint or white chalk to mark the timing
mark on the main pulley, it will make it eaiser to see with the
strobe light from the timing light.

It will require you to loosen the bolt under the distributor cap just
enough (not to loose) so you can turn the unit slightley if the
Timing is off, this can be a little tricky. If you want any more info
on this email me privatley and I'll answer any questions that you may
have.

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:18:17 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

David,

If you have a DeLorean workshop manual you will find the information on the
proper procedure for the removal and replacement of the ignition distributor
at M:07:01. If you need additional information or a copy of the section
mentioned contact us directly.

"We're here to help you"

Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:41:10 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Unless you don't mind changing all of the transmission seals and gaskets you
would be probably better off leaving this off your list.

You might want to think twice about changing your Bosch ignition coil.
Although the MSD may offer slightly better ignition spark the Bosh unit has
a "0" failure rate, almost unheard of in the automotive parts business.

The ignition timing set-up in the DeLorean is extremely precise and stable.
We have found that the only time we have to make a timing adjustment on a
DeLorean is when someone alters the factory setting. Check the setting with
a timing light before making any changes.

The Impulse Coil has an extremely low failure that is not age related. We
suggest to leave it as is. Our only additional recommendation is to change
the AC pulley bearings, camshaft cover seals, and the oil sender & seal.

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 19:10:08 -0000
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: front shocks for sale

Hi,
I have a pair of front shocks for sale.  They were only on my car for
one year, but only 1000 put on them...if even that.  If you are
interested please e-mail me privately with a good offer.

Erik Geerdink

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 19:10:14 -0000
From: tahoe98_at_dml_mindspring.com
Subject: Alternate Transmission

Hello Everyone,

I am relatively new to the group, and I have a quick question.  I
recently (back in April) purchased a very good condition '82 model
which is a 5-speed.  I also read an article by someone who upgraded
their transmission to a 5-speed manumatic from LG (who is the same
manufacturer of the original DeLorean transmission).  Just for
reference the article was about the DeLorean Time Machine & was
featured in DeLorean World.

OK...here is my question:  Can anyone tell me what is the model of
the transmission featured here & where can I buy one.

I have e-mailed several places (including some transmission dealers),
but have been unsuccessful in obtaining any information.  The major
problem is the "wierd" design of the transmission, but if I can get
some specs on it I would have better luck.

Thanks for anyone who can provide information.

Regards,
Ben Boatright
tahoe98_at_dml_mindspring.com

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 17:03:54 EDT
From: rbrogren_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Digest Number 244

As my kid would say: This is an awesome group! I have never seen anything
like it before!
I have had a number of sports cars over the years, rallyed, raced etc.
Presently I own a -72 Porsche 711T and a -76 MGB, none of which gives much
crature comfort, although they are fun to drive. I have always thought that
the DeLorean was a great car but didn't look at one closely until quite
recently. I was totally sold on it and has convinced the present owner that I
will be a good caretaker of his jewel. A sale is on the horizon.
This brings me to my question:
My last four everyday cars were Volvo's (still have my last). My second had
the "French" engine, the same as in the DMC 12. In the first few years of use
of that engine Volvo had problems with the camshafts, where evidently several
batches had been produced with the wrong heat treatment, resulting in rapid
and severe spalling of the lobes under certain conditions (frequency of
oilchange being the main one). I had several battles with both the dealer and
the Volvo District Rep and the case wasn't resolved until I contacted Volvo
in Sweden about the two sets of camshafts that I had to replace. (About $3000
each time, although Volvo finally agreed to pay for both jobs.) After that I
woved never to buy a car again with a French made engine in it.

Has there been any evidence that the same crankshafts found their way into
any of the DeLorean engines?
If so, I may have to reconsider being one of the choosen few!
Roger Brogren

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 22:29:11 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

All you have to do to re-assemble the ignition distributor is to
remeber which position the old rotor was in when you install the new
one. Install the new cap properly and make sure that all the wires
are connected properly. That's it!

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 23:17:55 -0000
From: nbrommer_at_dml_krem.com
Subject: Stereo replacement dimensions

For those of you who have replaced your stock stereos, I was wonding
what the dimensions of the available space are in the dash. I would
like to replace my stock stereo, but I also don't want anything cut
apart in order to fit a new one in!

Nick

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 17:50:41 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Coils (Bosch and MSD)

While the stock coil has a nearly zero percent failure rate, the
DeLorean Midwest Connection Dyno days and our own internal testing at
De Lorean Motor Company shows that they DO deteriorate in performance
over years of use. We install a new coil in all our refurbished cars
and on many 30,000 miles services and almost always notice an
increase in performance.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 20:27:56 EDT
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: title

Hey Group,

     Just wanted to add what happened the other day when I went to the DMV
when I was having the title transfered into my name, and they put in the make
section "De/Lo"  I had asked them to leave it "De Lorean" but they said they
can only use a certain amount of spaces.  Also I asked about having in the
color section about putting in "Stainless"  but he said that they only use 12
different colors and the best I could use was grey  :(  Oh well.

Later,
Nick
1852
http://members.aol.com/njp548

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 20:55:45 EDT
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Digest Number 244

Roger,
DMC Joe will hopefully address this issue for you. But as I recall from his
on mine and haven't had any problems.  Trust me "living the dream " is the
way to go. Hopefully you will continue on your quest of owning one of these
fine autos. Take a chance to view the back issues of the DML. You will get a
better understanding of the car and its owners. For myself, I have owned many
different cars. These range from American made to imports ( mainly British)
and I can tell you my D is at the top of my list. If one could only have one
car mine would be a Delorean. Anyone else want to get in on this one?
Bruce Battles
Vin# -6569

Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 02:32:07 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

Just a couple of quick questions:

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> Unless you don't mind changing all of the transmission seals and
gaskets you
> would be probably better off leaving this off your list.

Is this for the automatic transmission or the manual? On the manual,
I can't imagine that much hasle for just 2 bolts (drain/fill).

> You might want to think twice about changing your Bosch ignition
coil.
> Although the MSD may offer slightly better ignition spark the Bosh
unit has
> a "0" failure rate, almost unheard of in the automotive parts
business.
<SINP>
> The Impulse Coil has an extremely low failure that is not age
related. We
> suggest to leave it as is.
<SNIP>
I admit that I'm not an ASE certified mechanic, and I am still
learning. But I'm a little fuzzy on something here. I know what the
ignition coil is, but what exactly is an impulse coil? Is that the
wire that connects between the ignition coil and the distributor?
Just wanted to clarify...

Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 02:36:22 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

No camshaft problems with the B28F in the DeLorean. These are the
later generation engines that already came with the hardend cams in
them.

Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 02:39:54 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

When I registered my car the state had to ask me what type it was!
Ended up putting down 2-door coupe for insurance purposes.

Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 03:09:16 -0000
From: azelin242_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: DeLorean pre-purchase inspection

Hi all:
  I'm in the market for a DeLorean right now, and I've got a few in
mind that I'm looking at. I've found them all through my own sources,
and they seem quite promising. I've looked at purchasing a few in the
past, and I've been researching them on the net for about 4 years.
I'd say I know quite a bit about them, but as most of you here are
seasoned owners, with a LOT of experience between you, I thought you
might be able to help me out.

Can you give me any pointers on what to inspect on the cars when I
look at them? I have a substantial list of things here, but I'm
hoping you can give me a heads up on things that are commonly
overlooked. I've looked at buying 3 in the past, and I've driven all
of them, so I'm not THAT much of a newcomer to the cars. Currently
I'm looking at 3 81's, all in great mechanical shape, and good
cosmetic shape. I won't give the exact price on them, but it's around
12k.

Any help is appreciated.

Luke