From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2000 8:46 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 253

1. Destroying the DeLorean image.
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

2. Re: Testing Used Fuel Pump
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. Re: Testing Used Fuel Pump
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

4. Re: Testing Used Fuel Pump
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: Re: "Fixing my speedometer" -With Angle Drive Blues!
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

6. Front Shocks
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

7. lower link # 105177
From: john_jordan_at_dml_ed.gov

8. Main Wiring Circuit
From: billschaferabn_at_dml_aol.com

9. first problem - help please!
From: David Cox <dmcox_at_dml_inetworld.net>

10. 0 - 60 in how long?
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

11. Starting A New Club
From: "John Hervey" <dherv10_at_dml_aol.com>

12. DMC12's in Australia
From: "Webmaster - Michael Robinson" <webmaster_at_dml_michaelrobinson.cjb.net>

13. Hidden treasure-Good Delorean Story
From: billschaferabn_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: MCC AutoFest - Evansville
From: "Jake" <jkampho_at_dml_siue.edu>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 22:03:16 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Destroying the DeLorean image.

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: The following met my criteria for a first-hand
factual and objective account, but should not be seen as an invitation
for the list to go berzerk again.]

Last weekend a friend told me that he had found a DeLorean that was
for sale near my house. He asked me to go along with him to take a
look at the car for him because he was interested in purchasing the
car for himself. Long story short, the car had some SERIOUS problems
with the automatic transmission, and in the end he decided not to buy
the car. But it wasn't because of the problems with the car. Due to
the extent of the problems with the tranny, he was willing to even
purchase a new one if need be because he really liked the car, and
the owner was flexible with the asking price. What changed his mind
was when he placed a call to DeLorean One. When he called yesterday,
Ed answered the phone. All he said was that he had was looking at a
car that appeared to have some serious transmission problems. And in
the worst case, what would it cost to rebuild and/or replace the
transmission entirely? And Ed's response as he interrupted him
was: "Well, I have a PAYING customer in front of me right now, so
goodbye." And he then hung up on him. I don't recommend that anyone
go out and purchase a DeLorean, because it is alot of responsibility.
I always say that if they really want one they need to read up on the
car and learn more about it first, and then decide for themselves.
But for someone who is looking into buying a item that they've always
wanted (especially their own dream car), having someone like Ed
shatter that dream in a split second due to a snotty remark such as
that can be very crushing. The point of my letter: I've seen alot of
talking about who or what is a problem. Some have said that the DML
has caused prices to plummet. And I've even seen postings elsewhere
that things such as Project Vixen are killing the image of the
DeLorean as well. None of this is true! They have helped to promote
the image of the car as well as make it more of a reality. People
like Ed Bernstein are the ones that are destroying the car with their
egos, attitudes, and business practices. In the end, I introduced my
friend here to the DML. He's still looking around and learning more
about the car. Although much more hesitant then before. Maybe the
damage that was done could be healed, who knows... He has now been to
both the Vixen site, and here to the DML. Both have shown him that
the car is repairable, and that if he needs help it is readily
available. However, because of DeLorean One he is less likely now to
purchase ant D in general (destroyed image), and the man who was
selling the car has now lost a sale (his car has lost value). Just a
counterpoint in a long, ongoing debate to think about...

-Robert vin 6585

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 03:32:26 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Testing Used Fuel Pump

The safest way for you to test the pump is to install it in the
car.Don't play around with a bucket of gasoline and certainly don't
put water through it.If the car runs with the pump then the chances
are that it will make a good temporary spare. Too many car hobby
people have burned cars and hurt themselves with gas. The modern gas
that is used today is very toxic. You should not get it on your skin
or breath the vapors.There are some very dangerous addidtives and
prolonged exposure can make you very ill.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, Jim Reeve <ultra_at_dml_i...> wrote:
> I just received a list member's old fuel pump to use as an emergency
> spare.  I want to test it out without actually installing it into
the
> car, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it.  I know it gets it's
> lubrication from the gas, which is why they can so easily fail with
> blocked pickup line.  But I was wondering if I could just test it
using
> a bucket of water?  Or would water be too thin and may damage it?
> Otherwise, I guess I could get a hose into a container of gas.
Thanks

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:14:29 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Jim,

Just connect a 12v feed to the pump and see if it runs. No need to feed gas
through the pump for test purposes as long as you don't run the pump for an
extended period of time.

BTW running water through the pump will cause the pump to fail due to rust
forming on some of the internal components.

"We're here to help you"

Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 21:56:58 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Jim, I've never taken one apart to see what it's made of . But I can get a
rebuilt pump for $99.00 exchange. The old pump has a $30.00 core value. If
you damage it, then it's worth nothing.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com
dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:16:36 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: "Fixing my speedometer" -With Angle Drive Blues!

Jim,

If the cable has detached from the angle drive it is broken.

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 23:42:58 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Front Shocks

There are no more original front DeLorean shocks available. We have
had new front shocks manufactured by the same company that designed
our lowering springs. Those long time readers of the DML will recall
that this company is staffed by some of the same engineers that
worked on the DeLorean originally at Lotus. The story goes that after
Colin Chapman drove the DeLorean prototypes with the original
suspension, he recommended changes be made as it significantly
out-performed the then current Esprit. Our complete suspension
package (front and rear shocks with lowering springs) is even better
than that now. Advances in shock absorber technology make this
possible.

I had the pleasure of driving the Gus Schlacter's car with this
package (and the new engine) last June. All I can say is that if you
have a set of our lowering springs, get the shock set and see what
else you're missing. If you are thinking of lowering your car or need
new shocks, get the whole package and prepare to be amazed. It is
important to note that these are NOT generic shocks altered to fit
the DeLorean, or shocks designed for some other application that have
been modified to fit.

New design front shocks (sold in pairs only) - $399.00
Set of new design front and rear shocks (set of four) - $799.00
Set of new design shocks and lowering springs - $1188.00

Original equipment old design REAR shocks are still available at $135 per pair.

The new shocks are now available. Call or email for ordering info.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:43:48 -0000
From: john_jordan_at_dml_ed.gov
Subject: lower link # 105177

hello all:

i am still looking for a lower link--i had a response b4 but lost it
in transition

delor1  really looks sick on blocks--

thanks y'all

re:

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:39:42 EDT
From: billschaferabn_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Main Wiring Circuit

I need some help in fixing my Temp Gauge. Since I bought my "D" 8 months ago
I have not had a working temp gauge. We have disassembled the binnacle and
changed gauges but this did not fix the proplem. On the main wiring curcuit
on page M:18:23 the diagram shows the gauge being hooked up to item #246. Can
anyone tell me what that is? Is it the alternator? Any suggestions to help me
get this gauge up and working would be appreciated.

Bill (11096)

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 12:54:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: David Cox <dmcox_at_dml_inetworld.net>
Subject: first problem - help please!

I've been driving my new D for about a month now, and I've encountered my first major problem.  It was wet and rainy this morning and most southern CA drivers are instant idiots (Just add Water!), so the traffic was horrible - very start and stop.  Anyway,  finally got to the office, and as I exited the car, I heard the radiator fans running.  I didn't think too much of it because of the gridlock, in fact, I expected it, an figured that it meant that my fans were operating correctly.  Unfortunately, I believe that they did not shut off, but kept running until the battery ran out of juice.  Also, in retrospect, it sounded like they were running louder than I had heard before (even though the temperature guage had never gone over 220)  The lights were off, no interior lights were on, no radio, etc.

Assuming that I am correct about the fans staying on, where should I start to look for this?  Any place else anyone would suggest looking for a battery drain of some type?  There has been no prior evidence of any type of drainage like this, and no indication of a problem from the previous owner.  I'll get the car jump-started at the end of the workday, and drive it straight home.  I can fully charge the battery there, if needed.

Unrelated question: last night, while at the gas station, a fellow complimented me on the car, then informed me that he used to live next to the factory where the Deloreans were built, in Costa Msa, CA (LA area) I (politely) informed him that the cars were built in Ireland, then suggested that perhaps this was one of the final assembly/QA centers.  Was one of these in the LA area?

vin #16367

YourName_at_dml_delorean.com -- it's free from <a href="http://www.delorean.com"> DeLorean Motor Company</a>!

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 17:56:59 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: 0 - 60 in how long?

Can anyone say what the 0 - 60 time is in a properly running automatic
Delorean with all the accessories switched off (including radiator fans)?

I was trouble shooting my Delorean and took it for a test drive.  I did it
in 15.4 seconds.  When I disconnected the vacuum lines from the Control
Pressure Regulator and held a vacuum on the Delay Valve side, that improved
the time to 12.6 seconds.  Is this to be expected of a fully warmed up
engine?

Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 02:41:11 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <dherv10_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Starting A New Club

Group, Is anyone intrested in starting a De Lorean Club in north
Texas. If so please email me privately. I live in the Dallas, Tx area.
John Hervey
dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:38:06 +1000
From: "Webmaster - Michael Robinson" <webmaster_at_dml_michaelrobinson.cjb.net>
Subject: DMC12's in Australia

Gidday.

I was wondering if anyone actually knows anything about DMC-12's in Australia.

Are they here, and if so, where and how much.

Cheers,
Mike.
SYDNEY, AU.

--
Michael Robinson
webmaster_at_dml_michaelrobinson.cjb.net

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 23:25:14 EDT
From: billschaferabn_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Hidden treasure-Good Delorean Story

When I bought my car I was disappointed when the previous owner informed me
that he had somehow dropped his original key in the snow and lost it. So I
have never seen an original issue Delorean key.

Well I was working on my emergency brake unit in the car and decided to
remove the old support braket to get a better look at things. In the process
of doing all this I lifted up the carpets on the drivers side and got right
down to the fiberglass floor. As I was lifting the carpets up I found an
original "D" key from the first owner who must have put it there as a spare
key and didn't tell the second owner. So I am now in possession of one of my
cars original issue keys that works like a charm. What a pleasant surprise
and a real treasure to find.

Bill (11096)

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 22:01:55 -0500
From: "Jake" <jkampho_at_dml_siue.edu>
Subject: Re: MCC AutoFest - Evansville

Tonight, I cancelled one of the rooms I reserved at the Red Roof if somebody
wants to nab it.  I had
a change of plans.  I'll know by tomorrow night if I have to cancel my
second room.  :(

Jake
(Hoping I can make it to Evansville)