From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2000 8:25 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 262

1. Re: Re: Getting doors to stay up
From: "Kevin J. Creason" <k_creason_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: DMC-12 in Phoenix
From: "Kevin J. Creason" <k_creason_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: In need of parts # 101854 & 105660
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

4. DMC sited in Cincy at I-71 North and I-275
From: Josh Haldeman <haldeman_at_dml_indexdesign.com>

5. Re: window motors
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

6. Need Part #102502
From: "Mike " <mquinto_at_dml_msn.com>

7. Report: Ohio Event (and New Towing Service)
From: Josh Haldeman <haldeman_at_dml_indexdesign.com>

8. Re: Power to the window motors
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: Help!!!! from the UK
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>

10. Air cleaner for sale
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>

11. Re: A/C and Freeon
From: "Richard Cutter" <dmc_power_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. damaged fascias 4 sale
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>

13. deloreans.com
From: "Phil F" <delorean_at_dml_usfamily.net>

14. Lambda relay tricks
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

15. AWESOME DeLorean for sale
From: "Michael C. Babb, MCSE, MCT, MCP-I, CNA" <michael_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>

16. Online Chat with Stephen Wynne - UPDATE!
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

17. Re: back firing, no start
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

18. Re: DMC-12 in Phoenix
From: azelin242_at_dml_hotmail.com

19. doors for sale
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>

20. DMC for sale
From: "Hotmail" <sheilaridez_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. Re: DMC12 Wanted
From: "Fronzel Neekburm" <MIst_hunter1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. Re: Need Part #102502
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 19:01:12 -0500
From: "Kevin J. Creason" <k_creason_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Getting doors to stay up

That brings up a nother question.
Who's struts are the best?
I've noticed that PJ Grady, usadmc.com.... and somebody else offer struts.
Who's the best?

Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 18:50:32 -0500
From: "Kevin J. Creason" <k_creason_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: DMC-12 in Phoenix

I had to provide 25%, and get an appraisal done.

Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 22:33:13 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: In need of parts # 101854 & 105660

Bill,

We have both items in stock, contact us directly for details.

"We're here to help you"

Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 00:10:41 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <haldeman_at_dml_indexdesign.com>
Subject: DMC sited in Cincy at I-71 North and I-275

I apologize for using the list for this but I can't think of a better
way to try and get a hold of this guy...This evening (Tuesday, Oct.
17th) between 6:15 and 6:30 PM my father and I were pasted by a DeLorean
with obvious engine/exhaust mods (visible from rear) and black "DMC"
decals just below the side vents, aft of the doors on I-71 north just
south of I-275 in Cincinnati.
    Any chance the owner of this vehicle is on the list?  I'd love to
chat if you're out there...I was the one trying to communicate a shared
passion in the form of incomprehensible statements from the beat up 85
Honda next to you.
    I'll look forward to hearing from you if you're out there!
    Josh Haldeman

Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 22:15:04 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: window motors

Willie,

No.

Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 05:02:26 -0000
From: "Mike " <mquinto_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Need Part #102502

Hello List,
I would like to ask you good people if anyone has this part on hand
to sell new or used
(Idle low speed motor- 102502)
Thank You
Efrem
marty_mcflyjrATyahoo.com

Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 23:52:28 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <haldeman_at_dml_indexdesign.com>
Subject: Report: Ohio Event (and New Towing Service)

Hey,
    This brings up an interesting question...I originally assumed that DEL-CO
stood for Delaware County Towing, (which is the area his business serves) but I
realize that it could just as easily be DeLorean Company Towing, as in..."Hey,
the company that towed my car is the same company who works on all those
DeLoreans".
    Do you know if Dave makes a clear distinction or does he purposefully leave
it up to the customer to figure out which it is, depending on what you've come
to him for?
    Just Curious,
    Josh

Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 00:48:14 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Power to the window motors

Jim, I don't have current draw on the motors, but if you have a day or two I
will test them. Just a bit of intresting note. When I had my coolant fans out
to rebuild. With no blades on the motors and no load, they draw about 1.5
amps ea.. As soon as I put the blades back on then they went to 11.5 amps.
Then they go about 2 -3 amp more when mounted up next to the radiator. I
built a plug in module for the fan fail relay and fused them them at 15 amps
on ea leg. Works great and not over fused.

Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:14:12 +0100
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>
Subject: Re: Help!!!! from the UK

Join the UK DOC       www.delorean.co.uk  we keep list of cars for
sale...but then again, what is "cheap"...do you mean cheap to buy..or cheap
to get fully running and on the road. Check out adverts in some of the more
unusual magazines..one member  recently bought a really nice "good runner"
for only 8k, advertised in the Exchange and Mart.
Another spent 6 on a tatty one and 2 years and another 7k down the road he
still has not fully sorted the car.  A burnt out, one was bought for about
3.5K .
Join the club, take advice, take an experienced owner along with you.
No body wants your dream to turn into a nightmare because you acted hastily.

Chris P Hon Sec. DOC   tel 01332- 23 08 23

Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:11:09 -0000
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Air cleaner for sale

hi,
I have a spare Air clean for sale (101058).  If anyone is interested,
drop me a line.  It is in great condition and has the original
sticker still on it and looks good.  A couple wrinkles and
discoloration on the sticker, but nothing terrible.

Erik Geerdink

Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 02:59:49 GMT
From: "Richard Cutter" <dmc_power_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: A/C and Freeon

QUESTION WAS:

>I have a couple of questions about Airconditioners for the group:
>
>- If I have a leak of Freeon in my A/C system could I smell it in the car
>(...smells like)?
>- If I have a leak, is Freeon dangerous to breathe?
>
>Thanks for any advice.
>
>Cheers,       IAN (Vins. 0780, 1205, & 6425)
>***********************************

ANSWERs

It would be impossible to sniff out a leak, there is nothing added to freon
12 to give it a smell

In the quantity that a normal leak would release it is not deadly or even to
normal people enough to make you sick. I would not stay in a car if a pipe
blew and filled the passenger compartment with Freon-12.   It may be
possible that if the car is burning and the gas burns that it may be bad to
inhale, but with all else burning who is going to stay around to find
out....

If you need to recharge I have had excellent results with upgrading to
R-134a

Rich C.

http://profiles.msn.com.

Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:16:36 -0000
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: damaged fascias 4 sale

If anyone is interested, I have two front fascias that have a couple
rips and a rear fascia that has some burn marks on the top.  I would
like to get rid of them, so if anyone is interested please let me
know.  I would prefer not to ship them, but realize i don't live in a
big delorean owner community.  Make an offer, I'm sure I'll accept
it.  Please only respond if you are really interested.

erik Geerdink

Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:24:53 -0500
From: "Phil F" <delorean_at_dml_usfamily.net>
Subject: deloreans.com

Well it works like this, I've had literally about 40 people wanting the domain name, and I can't really choose who should have it. Also I think James Esprey at one time wanted it, maybe he's a reasonable person to give it to, but I just can't choose. Whoever does get it unfortunately will have to pay $50 for the transfer (I can give you the details later). Contact me for any info.

-Phil
philf_at_dml_ssesco.com

------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $7.99/mo! ------

Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:56:55 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Lambda relay tricks

Someone asked me how to jumper out the Lamba relay for diagnostic purposes.
I am posting my directions here for the benefit of the group.

There are two ways to go about it.  First determine which relay is the
Lambda relay.  It's in the row towards the rear of the car and the second
from the drivers side.  Pull the thing out and see what it looks like.  The
socket has 5 connections.  The connections on the car's right (#86) and left
(#85) should have 12 volts across them when the ignition is switched on.
This powers the electro-magnet in the relay and causes it to switch on.

The remaining 3 connections act like a double pole, single throw switch
(DPST) in an unlikely configuration.  This is what makes it hard to figure
out how to jumper it.

The connection toward the front of the car (#30) is common to both 'throws'
of the switch.  When the ignition is switched off, all the switch's poles
are isolated.  When the ignition is switched on, the electro-magnet is
energized turning it into a magnet.  This magnet attracts the metal arm
(#30) of the switch and pulls it into connection with the remaining switch
contacts (#87 & #87b), thus electrically 'shorting together' contacts #30,
#87, & #87b.

If you want to make this happen without the relay in place, stick jumper
wires in the relay socket shorting together these three connections.  If you
decide to try this, be careful not to inadvertently disassemble the socket.
The female spade lug connectors in the socket are made to come out and are
supposed to come loose when you stick a wire down beside them.  Sometimes
these fall or get pushed out of the socket by accident or when heat causes
the plastic to deform.

Another way to test this circuit is to remove the cover from the lambda
relay (provided it is one with a metal cover that can be removed without
damaging it.)  Just straighten out the little crimps at it's base and pry it
off.  Then plug the coverless relay back into it's socket.  Using your
finger, press the little metal arm of the switch causing the contacts to
connect.  With the ignition switched off, you should then hear the frequency
valve buzzing if everything else is right.  Since the electro-magnet whet
bad in my relay, I used a tiny alligator clip to hold the contacts together
while I drive the car.

And if you try any of this stuff, do it at your own risk.  These relays are
hard to pry out of the sockets anyway.  The Lambda relay is even harder to
get out with it's cover off.  Having these electrical connections exposed
increases your chances of shorting things out causing a fire or meltdown.

Hope this helps,
Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 17:29:47 -0400
From: "Michael C. Babb, MCSE, MCT, MCP-I, CNA" <michael_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>
Subject: AWESOME DeLorean for sale

Help!  I need to sell my car!
It is appraised at $26,500 and I am asking $22,000 (I have put a lot of work
into it since appraisal as well).  But I must sell the car, so will
entertain all offers (though I am asking $4,500 or more UNDER what the car
is worth).

Here are the stats:

August 1981 DeLorean (hood grooves, no flap)
5-speed manual trans.
gray interior (new seats and shift boot).
under 50,000 miles

NEW STUFF:
seats
shift boot
stainless steel bumper letters
stainless steel door sill letters
stainless steel label kit
stainless steel throttle cover
factory luggage rack
windshield squirter nozzle
horns
pull straps
door struts
STARTER
arm rest extension caps
drivers side escutcheon
stove pipe
engine cover stay assy.
all 4 tires
steering column shrouding
battery
others. . . .

more information available at http://www.babbtechnology.com/forsale

e-mail michael(at)babbtechnology.com or call 919.270.2488 for details as
well

This car is in better condition than a lot of the other "perfect" DeLoreans
out there. It is an award winning show car, and a reliable daily driver!

Thanks!

Michael C. Babb, MCSE, MCT, MCP-I, CNA, CCNA
Senior Network Consultant
Enterprise Security
BlueStorm Consulting
Raleigh, NC
919.510.6868
michael.babb_at_dml_bluestorm.com

Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:06:54 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Online Chat with Stephen Wynne - UPDATE!

Correction - Online chat is THURSDAY, OCTOBER 19, 2000.

Our next online Q&A with Stephen Wynne, owner of De Lorean Motor
Company (Houston) is coming up this week. These sessions give you the
chance to talk and ask questions with one of the top technical
experts in the DeLorean community.

Date: THURSDAY, OCTOBER 19, 2000
Time: 7pm Central Time
Location: http://www.egroups.com/chat/usadmc

PLEASE NOTE! In order to have access to the chat room, you must be a
subscriber to the DE LOREAN MOTOR COMPANY NEWSLETTER - you can
subscribe using this link:

http://www.egroups.com/subscribe/usadmc?referer=1

Also, the latest version of Netscape Navigator or Internet Explorer are
highly recommended!

See you there!

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1

Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 21:07:07 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: back firing, no start

How did you make sure it is getting plenty of fuel? A quick test
would
be to try to start the engine while spraying just a LITTLE ether into
the intake. If it sputters and or starts then you can assume it isn't
getting fuel.How did you check for spark? If you just checked the
wire
from the coil then how do you know if the distributer, rotor, spark
plug wires, and plugs are ok. When you removed the cap and wires and
plugs are you sure that you reinstalled all of that correctly? A
problem that you started with may now be compounded because you
messed
up the firing order or reinstalled some other component improperly.
You need to start at the beginning because if you really do have
spark and fuel then you should see some life as you try to start the
motor. Remember that at idle when cold most of the fuel will be
supplied by the cold start valve. Backfiring out off the intake could
be a sign of either mixed up spark plug wires or the firing order is
way off. In Richmond Jack Singer couldn't get his car to run after
replacing the mixture valve. It turned out to be that the mixture
ajusting screw was way off. When Rob Grady gave it about 2 turns it
ran fine. (Normaly it just gets adjusted about 1/8 turn).Now I am not
saying to go touch the mixture valve but what I am saying is that if
you don't know what you are doing you can cause more problems then
what you started with. Any good mechanic starting now with your car
would start from the beginning verifing each system and component as
he goes along taking nothing for granted like do the spark plug wires
go to the right places and is the distributer cap on right? By
troublshooting with a shotgun and taking things apart without
diagnosing a trouble you may introduce additional problems. A good
spark means nothing if it doesn't get to the right cylinder at the
right time.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, Delorean17_at_dml_a... wrote:
> Hello,
>     My car started to get hard to start about 2 months ago and
would
take
> more and more time to turn over until it finally wouldnt about 2
days later.
>     Since the car sat for so long before I got it I thought there
might be
> corrosion in the ignition distributor and other ignition
components.
 I took
> the cap off and there was a little bit of corrosion so I removed
dist and had
> it cleaned.  I put it back in and had the correct notch(opposite
notch at
> 7:30 position) on the pully lined up with the "0" notch on the
plate, and I
> made sure the rotor was pointed to the #1 cylinder firing position.
  I put
> in new plugs, rotor,cap and wires as long as I had the intake off.
>     It will not start now.  I just get backfires out of the intake
when I
> turn it over.  I checked all of the vacuum lines and they are
tight.
 I see
> that the canister in the rear pontoon has the cap missing from the
port that
> does not have a hose going to it. is it necessary to have the cap
on
it?  any

Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 02:38:11 -0000
From: azelin242_at_dml_hotmail.com

Thanks for your response.
   I asked around today, and I found a good place to finance though.
They offered good rates, good terms, and they didn't ask for a
million items of paperwork to apply. I gave them a copy of the DMC
insurance letter, and a photocopy of the inspection report I did on
the car, and an insurance quote, even though they required none of
those.

   As for the condition of the vehicle, you're right. It's definately
worth more than is being asked. That's why I'm jumping on it. As soon
as I have the check, I'll be picking it up. I'll let everyone here
know about it next week when the deal is done! :)

Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:22:50 -0000
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: doors for sale

MODERATORS NOTE: There is a area in the Mailing List web site for buying and selling DeLoreans and related parts. I'm reluctant to post any more want ads on the list when there are provisions to handle this elsewhere.

Bruce Benson, this weeks moderator

---------------------------------------

I have two driver doors for sale.  Both are in bad shape.  One was in
a fire and the other was broken into.  The one that was broken into
has many dings, but actually looks like it could be fixed.  no dents
on any of the creases!  The dented one comes with the glass, which is
in good condition.  I would prefer that someone comes and gets them,
but am willing to drive 100 miles or so to meet you.  I am selling
these doors for $150 obo.  more if I drive to me you.  If anyone is
interested, please e-mail me privately and I can send you pics.

Erik Geerdink
4512

(616)494-0704

Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:10:31 -0500
From: "Hotmail" <sheilaridez_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: DMC for sale

Hi, I forgot to tell my location and the price in my posting.  I'm in El Paso, Illinois and I'm asking $12,500 firm.  All details on my 29,XXX mile DMC-12 can be seen here: http://www.classifieds2000.com/cgi-cls/ad.exe?P1+C14+A0+R1046048+Q558374769
Thanks,
Michael Schaefer

Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 00:16:17 GMT
From: "Fronzel Neekburm" <MIst_hunter1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: DMC12 Wanted

>From: "Louie Golden" <louiegolden_at_dml_mailcity.lycos.com>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
>Subject: Re: [DML] DMC12 Wanted
>Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 17:34:37 -0200
>
> >"watch e-bay"
>   Sorry- I know this is a little off subject, but I would not buy a
>DeLorean I can't see and touch. Over the past six months I have learned
>that the car might not always be as it is advertised (there is once
>instance in particular, but I won't go into that!). If you could go see the
>car before you bid that is a different story. I have learned that you can
>tell more by test driving a DeLorean than anything. The more DeLoreans you
>get out and see, the more you learn. Good luck in your search!

Louie, you couldn't be any more right. I've bought several cars off ebay,
(and else where) and when it all comes down to it, its a roll of the dice.
Infact, the best deal was off ebay, (but i'm not saying ebays is the best)
and I bought the car for 66$. (yes, that is not a typo) But it was in South
Bend IN, and I live in South Dakota, so it cost (at least) 150$ in gas to
get there, but when I got it home, I tinkered with it, got it running fine
and it towed home 2 more with it. I'm not saying that ebay will get you a
perfect car, but when you enter your bid amount, you take a chance of
getting a over sized paper weight, or a car  worth the money you payed.
John

Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 20:28:18 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Need Part #102502

Efrem, I have the idle speed motor in stock. You may contact me at
dherv10_at_dml_aol.com.