From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2000 4:41 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 269

1. Re: San Diego area owners
From: "wayne selden" <w.selden_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

2. Re: Re: Vegas?
From: "wayne selden" <w.selden_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

3. Re: Droopy Doors
From: "Kevin Creason" <k_creason_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Parts needed
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomcio_at_dml_gtemail.net>

5. Turbos
From: "Lynn Metz" <metzlynn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Door side marker light x-ref
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

7. Re: twin turbo question
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

8. Re: Re:Put a fire-extinguisher in your car!
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Stereo power
From: Josh Weader <weader_at_dml_moocow.org>

10. Torquing lug nuts
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

11. Re: more on enrichment problem
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

12. Restore your steering wheel.
From: "Doc" <doctor280_at_dml_email.msn.com>

13. may I ask something...
From: "loveless77" <loveless77_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. News Article about JZD & DMC2
From: Carson Clark <cnsandog_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Plastic clip on Wiper Blade..
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

16. Re: Torquing lug nuts
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

17. Re: Vegas?
From: Julie B Johnson <djjohnson6_at_dml_juno.com>

18. Fall Foliage Tour in the media.
From: "Michael DeLuca" <mdeluca_at_dml_comtechpst.com>

19. Re: Torquing lug nuts
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

20. Re: News Article about JZD & DMC2
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. Re: News Article about JZD & DMC2
From: CIAsleeper22_at_dml_aol.com

22. Re: may I ask something...
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

23. Supercharger-The never ending quest for more POWER
From: "Chris C" <petleech_at_dml_aol.com>

24. entrances to Dunmurry site.
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. Re: Parts needed
From: "chris" <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 21:14:08 -0700
From: "wayne selden" <w.selden_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: San Diego area owners

There are dozens of Delorean owners in San Diego County. I know of at least
one dozen others in the past several months. It would be a good idea to set
something up and pass on the word.

Wayne Selden
w.selden_at_dml_att.net

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 21:19:02 -0700
From: "wayne selden" <w.selden_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Vegas?

If you are attending the Delorean Convention in Las Vegas, Nevada, the
Products Fair is at 9-11am, Friday, November 10th.

Wayne Selden
w.selden_at_dml_att.net

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:52:28 GMT
From: "Kevin Creason" <k_creason_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Droopy Doors

I'd like to know more about testing the struts. Does Dave or anyone have
some detailed information about how many pounds of pressure, or whatever,
they should have?
While $110 isn't much, I'd much rather take care of the real problem if it
might be the torsion bars.
-Kevin/ k_creason(AT)hotmail.com
finally driving #4683

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:21:02 -0400
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomcio_at_dml_gtemail.net>
Subject: Parts needed

Hello all,
Well, after some time off I'm finally starting to fix my car after the
accident I had a few months back. I need some good condition used parts.
Here's what I need:
1. Left front fender
2. Front fascia
3. Hood
4. Radiator
5. Left headlight bracket
and many other parts for the front (suspension and frame is good)
Let me know if you have any of these or if you know of a PARTS CAR for sale.

Thanks,
Tom Niemczewski
vin 6298
tomcio_at_dml_gtemail.net  (tomcio(AT)gtemail.net)

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:02:40 PDT
From: "Lynn Metz" <metzlynn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Turbos

The last place I know of to get a twin turbo was from Elenor Rogers
(spelling?).  I know she was still producing these about 2 years ago and
price at that time was about $5500 - you install it yourself.  I spoke with
Ms. Rogers on one occasion and she seems very nice - even sent me literature
and pictures on the package.  However, I did not have $5500 "free" at that
time.

Hope this helps
Brian 16584

http://profiles.msn.com.

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 08:43:00 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Door side marker light x-ref

If you are looking for a cross-reference for a door marker light bulb, it's
a GE model 194.

For those of you who like to know Delorean cross-references, I found the
following although it was quite obvious.  A side marker light in my door
burned out, but none of the manuals said exactly what the bulb is other than
it is a 12 volt 5 watt bulb.  Among my shop spares, I found a pack of bulbs
that look the same, but the package does not specify a wattage.  So being
the tech that I am, I measured them.  On a car battery that I had sitting
around, it had 12.35 volts.  A factory original bulb pulled 326mA, and my
new bulb pulled 235mA.  By doing the math, here's what I found.  Factory
original bulb drew 4.03 watts, and my replacement drew 2.90 watts.  So much
for the OEM being a 5 watt bulb, eh?  I'm sure there are higher wattage
bulbs available, but I'd rather not run my battery down as fast nor heat up
the light fixture while keeping the doors open at shows.  And if this burns
your car up, don't blame me. :)

I've said too much already....
Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 07:59:50 -0400
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>
Subject: Re: twin turbo question

Are the locations of these cars known?

I am surprised there are only 4, I figured there would be at least 6
"production" cars that Legend got.  Plus, the two with the Alpine setup,
although they may not have been "production".

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:01:42 GMT
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re:Put a fire-extinguisher in your car!

One more thing - here in Norway you get cheaper insurance if you have a fire
extinguisher present in your classic car! And this of course is the case for
our beloved DeLorean! :)

Might as well put in a 3rd brake light too...(which also means cheaper
insurance in Norway) :)

All in all, better to be on the safe side, I want to be able to do something
if the car catches on fire - not just stand there paralyzed and see your own
car burn up!

I imagine a fire extinguisher would come in real handy if a fire resulted
from a collision between two cars.

DRIVE UM HOME SAFELY!

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:03:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: Josh Weader <weader_at_dml_moocow.org>
Subject: Stereo power

This weekend I was replacing the cheap Radio Shack stereo that had been in
my D when I bought it with an in-dash CD player.  I was a little
dismayed to discover that the previous installer had not used an
intermediate wiring harness between the stereo and the car's harness for
the stereo connections.  Instead, they had cut the original plug out and
manually spliced into the wires.  I had no choice but to do the same when
hooking up mine, since the original plug is no longer with the car.  While
I was disconnecting the old stereo, I found that the power wires for it
were not running into the original power wires, but had been spliced into
the wires for the a/c light bulbs right below it.  Using the car manual's
wiring diagram and a whole lot of back-tracing, I was finally able to
identify which of the original wires were which, and get things hooked up
properly (or so I thought).

From what my diagram said, the two power wires are purple (continuous) and
green/white (+12v).  After installing the new stereo, I found that it
turns on without key in the ignition.  I had assumed that power to the
stereo would be controlled just like any other accessory.  Is that true,
or does the factory radio behave like this, too?  Since I never saw my car
with the factory radio, I can't say how it's supposed to behave.

Thanks,

--Josh

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:37:48 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Torquing lug nuts

I just read the following from a DML back issue in Vol #219

>Please Torque your wheels! An impact gun
will warp rotors and crack wheels.

Is he serious?  Is it really bad to use an impact wrench on Delorean wheels
like all the shops do?  Or is this just a superstition?

Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:50:06 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: more on enrichment problem

If the freq valve is buzzing the lamda is probably ok. If you still
have bad hesitation you will have to go deeper, perhaps a problem in
the secondary ignition circuit like a bad wire, plug wire not
completly on, bad plug, misswired plug, bad coil, timming way off,
etc. You also still cannot rule out a fuel system problem without
checking the fuel pressure. That requires a gauge setup and the
service manual. I do not think an alternator could cause this
condition.If you have enough power to start the motor it should at
least be able to run smooth for a while.

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:56:09 -0400
From: "Doc" <doctor280_at_dml_email.msn.com>
Subject: Restore your steering wheel.

I would think that there are many of you out there that has a steering wheel
that has seen it's better days. My steering wheel leather is worn where I
grip the rim and the leather has shrank on the spokes exposing the metal
underneath. Also  the center cap, which is not covered in leather does not
match the steering wheel.

The solutions to this problem are replacing the steering wheel with OEM
wheel and center cap, at a cost of about $380.00 or going with an after
market wheel.

Not wanting to spend this kind of money, and wanting to keep the factory fit
and look of the wheel, I have found a company that recovers steering wheels
with fresh leather. Also they can customize the wheel to your on taste, such
as two toning it or doing to the stitching in gray, the options are almost
endless.

The pricing starts at $189.99 for the full wheel (Center cap not included)
and $129.99 for the just the grip only.

These prices are subject to lower if I can organize persons wanting to
restore their steering wheels. So if you are interested in have your
steering wheel restored please send me an email at doctor280_at_dml_msn.com (Please
don't sent replies to the DML)

MODERATOR NOTE - his email is doctor280(at)msn.com

Robert Starling
Vin#05252
doctor280_at_dml_msn.com

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:53:04 -0300
From: "loveless77" <loveless77_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: may I ask something...

I'd like to ask anyone, If it is known of the presence of a DeLorean here,
at República Argentina, as I've recently seen one near the Buenos Aires
airport (Friday 20th, October). It had a Texas Carnumber, black interior,
and was being carried by a van.
Thanks!
Ernesto, "Dr. Loveless, for friends"

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:20:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Carson Clark <cnsandog_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: News Article about JZD & DMC2

http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2000/10/24/home_auto/q_delorean_column/

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:04:49 -0400
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>
Subject: Plastic clip on Wiper Blade..

I again lost one of the little plastic clips on the end of the wiper blades..

Does anyone have a old set of blades they are going to toss?  or maybe one on a
parts car?

Contact me directly.

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:53:24 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Torquing lug nuts

Walter,

Not a superstition; The back issue is absolutely correct. Most "run of the
mill" repair facilities are set up to service standard steel wheel
configurations. Lug nut tightening torque that is in excess of the
manufactures spec.'s on steel wheels may not be critical except for the
problem of not being able to remove a wheel in the event of a flat.

In the case of the DeLorean, or any car that uses light alloy rims, serious
damage can be inflicted on the wheels and attaching components when an air
tool is used to tighten the lug nuts. We often need to use a breaker bar
with a 4' length of  pipe attached to remove lug nuts on "D's" arriving for
service.

The factory calls for 60 ft. lb.. of torque, therefore you should always
request that to a service facility not to use an air tool when replacing
wheel lug nuts.

"We're here to help you"

Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:21:51 +0000
From: Julie B Johnson <djjohnson6_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Vegas?

Hi, Yes there is the DeLorean Owners Expo in Las Vegas on Nov. 9th to the
12th.  For more information you can contact the Owners Association web
site: www.deloreanowners.org or call John or Joan Truscot at
805-964-5296.  The cut off date is approaching soon.  Hope to see you
there.
Julie Johnson

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:23:23 -0000
From: "Michael DeLuca" <mdeluca_at_dml_comtechpst.com>
Subject: Fall Foliage Tour in the media.

I would like to thank everyone who participated in the Fall Foliage
Tour!It was quite thrilling for me to look back in my rearview mirror
and see a dozen Deloreans and a red Bricklin for the 50 mi. caravan
to Newport. Judging by the many motorists on the road who took
pictures of us including flash pictures at night I would say we were
an impressive sight.I think we had a total of 16 Deloreans and
3 Bricklins show up over the 3 days.

We did get a write up in the Friday Oct 20th entertainment section of
the Newport Daily News. I ordered a copy and should get it in the
next week (to order a copy call (401) 849-3300 cost is $3.50 ea.).
Did anyone on the list see the article?
We also had someone from Cox cable channel 18 (public access channel
I think) interview me, Rob Grady and Scott Tice (president of Mid
Atlantic DeLoreans). I don't know if the piece ever aired or will be
shown at some future date so any one in the RI area that may see it
please let me know.

Regards,

Michael DeLuca
Vin 3113
NY Lic DLORIANN

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:55:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Walter wrote:

> Is he serious?  Is it really bad to use an impact wrench on Delorean
> wheels like all the shops do?  Or is this just a superstition?

There is absolutely no reason to use an impact wrench on *any* car's lugs.
Overtorquing lugs stresses them and makes them prone to break, and doesn't
accomplish anything.  And if the lugs are not tightened in the right
order, it stresses the wheels and hubs.

The DeLorean does seem to be fairly susceptible to uneven torquing of
lugs.  The only way you can be sure they're done right is to do it
yourself.  Of course, this is not always convenient, however, some shops
are definitely more careful than others.  I've found Discount
Tire/America's Tire to be the best.  If the torque is incorrect, there is
a real danger of warping the rotors.

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 18:02:27 GMT
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: News Article about JZD & DMC2

Is it true what the report tells us?

It says: "The plant had two doors for employee entry -- one for Catholics,
one for Protestants -- which gives you an idea of how pleasant a place it
must have been to work."

Let's hear the truth - did the factory actually have separate employee
entries for Catholics and Protestants?

Robert Lamrock? Joe Murray?

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:21:22 EDT
From: CIAsleeper22_at_dml_aol.com

The factory actually did have two seperate enterances. One facing the
Catholic vilage, and the other facing the Protestant. However the author was
incorect (according to my knowlege at least) of inferring that the DMCL Plant
was not a pleasure to work in. From everything that I heard, the workers got
along. They left their politics at the door, as they were there to work and
fortunate to have a job. The factory, designed by Renault, was state of the
art, and there were no assembly lines, as workers would rotate tasks to keep
the job from becoming boring and redundant.

Any workers out there who have first hand experience??

Justin

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 15:39:22 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: may I ask something...

Yes, there is a DeLorean in Argentina. We did the restoration on that car.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 21:13:34 -0000
From: "Chris C" <petleech_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Supercharger-The never ending quest for more POWER

I have seen a supercharger setup on the files menu and would like
some more information. Is there a specific kit made especially for
the DeLorean (if so what is their phone number or website)? Could you
take any supercharger and by bolting it to the fiberglass and
fashioning a way to get air past the air flow meter would this setup
work? What sort of power increase is available from the supercharger?
What is the cost?

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 20:32:25 -0000
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: entrances to Dunmurry site.

Hi Stian,
The factory grounds had 2 entrances, entering from 2 different
housing estates, one of which was a catholic estate and the other a
protestant estate. Once inside the factory grounds however, the
employees entered the buildings through the same doors. It has always
been said that the workers got along fine with each other regardless
of religious beliefs, and the troubles were kept out of the factory.

It was just safer for the employees not to have to travel through
each others estates to work. I have heard that on a few occasions
some employees had heard gunfire while going to work, but that they
laughed about it together once inside the factory! Thank God Northern
Ireland is a much safer place today.
Best wishes,
John Dore, Ireland.

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 19:56:21 +0100
From: "chris" <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Parts needed

There is a front fender on ebay, only thing is the price, but it has no bids
as yet so seller may take an offer

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=468741783&
r=0&t=0

Can you not get any SS panels fixed?, i have seen some panels in a bad way,
then seen them after and you cannot tell from the front. I have heard of a
fender run over by a truck and was fixed and is back on the car!!