From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2000 3:01 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 271

1. RE: Put a fire-extinguisher in your car!
From: "Mike & Ann Griese" <roscsyl_at_dml_millcomm.com>

2. Re: Oil Change info...
From: "John Hervey" <dherv10_at_dml_aol.com>

3. Re: Re:Put a fire-extinguisher in your car!
From: "doctor who" <ohwrd_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re. windscreens
From: dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com

5. re.re.Droopy Doors
From: dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com

6. Re: Re: Re: News Article about JZD & DMC2
From: lovdmc12_at_dml_aol.com

7. some Fall Foliage Tour pictures
From: Mark Fearer <mfearer_at_dml_mail.fearernet.com>

8. Hillel Levin (was: News Article about JZD & DMC2)
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

9. The Watch
From: "Simon Betts" <simon_betts_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: Oil Change info...
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

11. 1982 DMC for sale
From: Clifford T McComb <mccombc_at_dml_dteenergy.com>

12. Re: 1982 DMC for sale
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>

13. Re: re.re.Droopy Doors
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>

14. Re: Re: Oil Change info...
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

15. Re: Re. windscreens
From: Ralf Philipp <doc.brown_at_dml_web.de>

16. Engine cranks, no start
From: azelin242_at_dml_hotmail.com

17. Re: Engine cranks, no start
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

18. Re: DMC/RC car on e-bay
From: "Roger Brogren" <rbrogren_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 22:15:02 -0500
From: "Mike & Ann Griese" <roscsyl_at_dml_millcomm.com>
Subject: RE: Put a fire-extinguisher in your car!

Not so fast - my DeLorean caught fire a few years ago
beford I had an extinguisher in it.  Fortunately
diet Dr. Pepper is a good flame retardant.

Mike Griese

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:24:43 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <dherv10_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Oil Change info...

Nathan, If the lifter was sticking then you could probably adjust the
valve lash and the noise would go away but you would know it wasn't
right because of how far down you would have to adjust. Most likley
the lifter has lost it's hydraulic holding pressure and needs to be
replaced. Not un common. I have been working on cars a long time and
I would never put kerosine in an engine. It is a cutting agent and
could do more dammage than good. Good HD oils today keep engines
pretty clean.Oil filters,You can find many cross references for them,
but be carefull, they can come apart on the inside under pressure and
put paper inside the engine. Use a high quality filter from one of
the De Lorean Dealers or I have the Slim Bosch filter for the car
which won't interfer with the sending unit. Recommended 7 qts, 20-50
valvoline.
John Hervey
dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 20:18:38 GMT
From: "doctor who" <ohwrd_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re:Put a fire-extinguisher in your car!

as a volunteer firefighter I feel obligated to tell you that the proper
technique for exstinguishing a engine fire is only to raise the engine
accees cover only as far as it takes to get the nozzle in.
1.becuase you want to smother the fire and you cannot of you have chemical
spraying all over the place and two because the engines do run on gas if an
explosion were to happen it will *hopefully* keep the flying metal from
frepe your head.

i reccomend powder exstinguisher over C02, one because the Co2 takes a
rather large cannister to be effective and two the powder is a retardent.
It's a f'in mess but it is efficient for the smaller car sizes
extinguishers.

hope that helps,
dr c.

From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: Re: [DML] Re:Put a fire-extinguisher in your car!
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:01:42 GMT

One more thing - here in Norway you get cheaper insurance if you have a fire
extinguisher present in your classic car! And this of course is the case for
our beloved DeLorean! :)

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 08:57:45 -0000
From: dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com
Subject: Re. windscreens

In England there is a company who will make DeLorean windscreens to
order as their supplier still has an original DeLorean windscreen
Jig. I had mine made by this company and it looks fantastic, the only
thing missing is the little DMC logo in the corner but this does'nt
particularly bother me.

regards

James

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 09:50:40 -0000
From: dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com
Subject: re.re.Droopy Doors

I don't think dave would know off hand what the pressure should be
because he sends  our struts of to a company who re-fill them, but if
you ask Dave via his e-mail address which can bed found on the uk
website www.delorean.co.uk I am sure in turn he could ask the
companny who fill them up.

regards

James

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 08:34:05 EDT
From: lovdmc12_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Re: News Article about JZD & DMC2

Hillel Levin is still around.  He was interviewed for the "E! True Hollywood
Story" about JZD.  I don't know wh yhe has such a negative opinion of
DeLorean or his cars.

Brian

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:13:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mark Fearer <mfearer_at_dml_mail.fearernet.com>
Subject: some Fall Foliage Tour pictures

Newport Beach, Rhode Island. Saturday, October 21st.

Tri State DeLorean Club, Mid Atlantic DeLorean Club, and a handful of
independent New England stragglers....

http://207.22.35.20/

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 09:35:54 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Hillel Levin (was: News Article about JZD & DMC2)

As recently as a year or so ago, he was involved in the Internet
company "Cool Savings" (http://www.coolsavings.com). I had posted a
blurb on the DML Web site a few years ago about how he arrested for
possession of cocaine shortly after he wrote the book on JZD. He sent
me a polite but firm email telling me the facts of his case, even
emailing me court records and newspaper clippings showing he was "set
up". At the time, his email was "hl_at_dml_coolsavings.com" - might still
be. He was receptive to signing copies of his book.

FWIW.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 08:33:00 GMT
From: "Simon Betts" <simon_betts_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: The Watch

Has any body brought a watch of the dmc2 website?

Did it turn up?
and
does it work?

http://profiles.msn.com.

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 16:44:28 -0000
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

One question...the Delorean has Hydraulic lifts? I didn't see any
when I was rebuilding my engine. Over head cams don't use hydraulic
lifts, correct me if I am wrong. The adjustment of the valves is
fairly simple, follow the procedure in the shop manual. It will
require you to remove the valve covers to access them. The adjustment
screws are in plain sight right ontop. You will need an open end
wrench (I don't remember the size of it off hand) and a screw driver
to to turn the adjusting screws. The nut on the screw is a locking
nut so make sure you tighten it back after you adjust it. It is
common to perform routine adjustments to a non-hydraulic lift system
like the Delorean setup.

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 13:41:11 -0400
From: Clifford T McComb <mccombc_at_dml_dteenergy.com>
Subject: 1982 DMC for sale

Hi List,

I'm giving serious thought to selling my pride and joy (1982, black
interior, 5 speed, light grey carpet, VIN 11546) and would like to know
if
anyone on the list may be interested. It's a special car...I
purchased it about 3 years ago from the daughter of the owner who had
passed
away but had bought it new in Grand Rapids, MI. The car had barely been
used
and had sat for about 10 years in his garage in Muskegon, MI  I was part
of the list at that time so I
had a good sense of  what to do and not to do with a car that had been
sitting for that length of time.

The car was perfect with 2200 actual miles (no broken angle drive here)
with tires that were like
new, seats showing no wear, etc.  I knew the miles were legitimate. I
didn't
"steal" the car ...I paid her $22,500 which was a fair price for a D  in

that condition.  I trailered the car home and began the clean up and
upgrading process including dropping the tank, replacing injectors,
filter
and cleaning all fuel lines.  While I was at it I replaced the water
pump
(Grady) and all hoses beneath the manifold and under the car. All the
parts
taken off the car (clamps, hoses, etc were saved). I literally replaced
any
part/bolt/component that was tarnished, rusted or scratched (all from
DMC
Houston).  I went a little crazy on my quest for absolute
perfection...New
front and rear facias, new louvre, etc.  Nothing wrong with the old
ones, I
just wanted them perfect.  In fact,  I sold the front and rear facias to

owners in California and Michigan and they mounted them on their cars
without any refinishing at all.  You can ask Warren, he once said I was
their biggest customer that first year.  I spared absolutely no expense
in
getting this car perfect.   The original wheels and tires (perfect) were

even put away  and another delorean set were purchased and Goodyear
tires
mounted on them the originals come with the car).  I also performed the
following upgrades: Fanzilla, Tankzilla and Lockzilla, relays, braided
clutch cable, metal overflow tank (have the perfect original), Rear
light
boards (Grady), OEM splash shields, OEM rear shocks, headliners and
many,
many more OEM bolts nuts, seals, struts, etc. I even put a new air
conditioning compressor and exhaust on it because I didn't like the
finish
that was on the old. All OEM, of course from Houston.  Again, anything
that
didn't look new was replaced with OEM new.  Warren even allowed me to
drive
to Columbus to pick out my new louvres (I have the old ones too).  I
have
collected a wide range of books and brochures on the car and have the
cleaning kit, lighted key (not cut), luggage rack (not mounted),
stainless
labels (not mounted).  I also have the following new spares waiting for
the
day that they will be needed...angle drive, accumulator, water pump,
wiper
blades and trailing arm bushings/bolts. I have a car cover and a set of
black mats and grey mats from DMC Houston. Maybe my wife is right...I'm
crazy.

There are now about 2400 miles on the car... and it's still in the same
condition...mint, like new.  I start it once a week and take it around
the
block if it's sunny.  I'd feel secure driving this car anywhere.
EVERYTHING
works on the car and always has.  The only items that are not original
are
the water pump pulley, the oil pressure sender and the door seals
(Delorean
1, on the door seals).  The front suspension could use a cleanup
(detailing... toothbrush stuff)
and I'll probably get around to that in a little while but thats it.
There
is no rust visable or lurking anywhere.  I have all receipts.

I'm sticking with what I paid for it as a firm price...$22,500.  I could
ask
$24,500 and come down a couple thousand but please don't ask me to go
below
$22,500...I can't bring myself to do that.  At that, someone will get
one
heck of a car that they don't have to do anything to except keep the
stainless clean and drive and show.  If anyone is interested in talking
about the car, please e-mail me at  mccombc_at_dml_dteenergy.com

I live just outside of Detroit in case you are in the neighborhood.  By
the
way, what am I getting next? what else, a 1953 Indian bike...my next
dream
toy.  Of course, I'll have to make it perfect.

Thanks,
Cliff McComb

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 20:40:02 -0000
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Re: 1982 DMC for sale

I just wanted to add something to this.  I bought the rear fascia
from Clifford, and let me tell you something, this car is AWESOME!  I
have never seen a more perfect Delorean in my life.  Definately
concourse material at it's best.
I'm not getting paid to say these things, just wanted to let everyone
know that he's not not lying when he says every bolt is OEM.

Erik Geerdink
4512...lovin' my rear fascia (BTW: it was perfect, but I had it
repainted when I repainted my front fascia)

I went a little crazy on my quest for absolute
> perfection...New
> front and rear facias, new louvre, etc.  Nothing wrong with the old
> ones, I
> just wanted them perfect.  In fact,  I sold the front and rear
facias to a guy in California and Michigan

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 20:53:39 +0100
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>
Subject: Re: re.re.Droopy Doors

Dave, in the DOC is having real problems with his "re-gasser" of struts, the
man is concerned with the  "Heath and Safety" angle of continuing to
operating the very high pressure equipment..I spoke to him on the subject
only 10 mins ago. I am afraid we are not sure of the pressures used, the
matter is receiving our urgent attention as we speak.

On a related matter, one member has, this week end, damaged his T bar, roof
and door, by messing around trying to adjust his door! PLEASE DON'T ATTEMPT
to adjust the door torsion bar unless you have proper information. This is
twice now in the UK in the last 3 months that some one has made a real mess
of this job!!

Chris P DOC UK

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 17:20:03 -0700
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Oil Change info...

 There is a very specfic procedure for adjusting the valves in the DeLorean.
You must follow this and be sure the cam lobe is in the proper position for
each valve adjusted. Once you understand it, it's fairly simple but you must
understand what you're doing or you'll have some expen$ive valve train
problems.

Bruce Benson

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:38:51 +0200
From: Ralf Philipp <doc.brown_at_dml_web.de>
Subject: Re: Re. windscreens

... could you please provide the name of this company which produces
windshields?

thanks,

Ralf.
VIN10284

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 01:02:01 -0000
From: azelin242_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: Engine cranks, no start

Look at this! I don't even own a 'D' and I'm posting problem
messages...

   Went to look at a 'D' today. The car is in great shape, has less
than 16k miles on it, and only has one problem.

   It won't start. The engine has spark, and if you spray ether into
the intake, it fires. Basicly it's not getting any fuel. I tried
checking the fuel pump to see if thats working, it is. There is fuel
getting into the fuel distributor, so I am thinking it is the fuel
injectors. Has anyone had a similar problem? Can anyone offer a
remedy or an idea of what it will cost to fix? If it will set me back
less than $600, I'll buy the car. DMC Joe? help, please?

   The car hasn't been run for about 6 months, before that, the owner
used to drive his grandkids around the block in it every week or so.
It was drained of fuel before sitting, and I put about half a gallon
of gas in it, and a new battery. Now it turns over fine, and will run
if there's ether, so I'm sure it's a fuel problem.

                      thanx

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 02:17:12 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Engine cranks, no start

If you are sure the engine is getting fuel and spark the problem could
be in the cold start valve system. Check that the cold start valve (
located on the top of the engine center left by the idle motor) is
getting voltage. It could also be defective or just plugged up.

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 03:00:32 -0000
From: "Roger Brogren" <rbrogren_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: DMC/RC car on e-bay

Thanks for the posting -- and chucks! I came in on the e-bay auction
with 14 minutes left, posted my bid -- and the phone rang! When I got
back the auction was over and my bid was bettered by 2 bucks!
Oh well, I guess I have to settle for the REAL D that I am just about
to close the deal on!

I did have one sucessful "D related" bid on e-bay. A 1981 copy of
Life Magazine, supposedly with a DeLorean advertisment in it.

I also found an earlier posting helpful that recommended a search on
Bibliofile.com for DeLorean related books. As serendipity would have
it, one of the books with an inscription by John DeLorean was
available in a bookstore only 20 miles away! (They are holding it for
me.)

Thanks also to the rest of you that post here! I was a bit
apprehensive about buying a D without any previous experience with,
or knowledge about the car, but after reading the postings here for a
couple of weeks it is obvious that there are a good number of experts
to go to for help when that day comes.

Sure looking forward to be able to post my VIN here in the near
future!
Roger