From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2000 2:25 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 289

From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "Dan RC30" <Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>

From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

From: "Jim Reeve" <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>

10. Re: Tires
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 15:57:40 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Mystery Noise...

Nathan,

Start by inspecting the steering column universal joints. Remove the master
cylinder *access cover and observe the steering shaft and universal joints
while an assistant turns the steering wheel.

* Workshop Manual fig. 7

"We're here to help you"

Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 18:04:44 GMT
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Hot Start Problem

I need some good suggestions here...
As some of you may know late this summer I had my local garage swap the fuel
pump (it was noisy). When they changed the waterpump they accidentally broke
the cold start switch, which they replaced with the standard Boschpart.

From late Aug, till now Ive had a mysterious hot start problem. If I stop to
fill gas (say 5min) the car starts right up.

But if I park and come back say 10-15 min. the car cranks but is impossible
to start.

Since not much had been done to this DeLorean over the last years before I
got it, I remember to have read that changing the fuel accumulator would be
the thing to do (supposedly it cures 95% of all hot start problems).

Well, this was changed by my garage but unfortunately I have to say that my
DeLorean is in the other 5% scale...
It still wont start when hot.

When I turn the key, EVERYTHING ENGAGES, the engine cranks but just wont
start. When the engine is cold it fires right up.

So...since a new fuel accumulator didnt solve the hot start problem, what
will? Please help.

Mr. Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

http://profiles.msn.com.

Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 22:12:41 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Inspect the frame for rusted out sections, the sway bar attachments
and bushings, the spring seats ( the springs move around in them) the
sway bar mountings at the frame (make sure you have the recall).

Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 22:07:40 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Concours discussion

I know you asked James but I had to answer also, the 1st place winner
from Cleavland is for sale, go to the dmcnews website under cars for
sale and you will find it for $35,000.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757 2nd place winner and I'll sell for $33,000. ha! ha!

Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 13:44:12 HST
From: "Dan RC30" <Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Binacle swap anyone?

I just recently purchased a used black binacle in excellent condition. My
interior is grey. Before I have it dyed, I figured I'd post to the list that
I'd be interested in a swap if anyone had a grey one in excellent condition,
and was in need of a black one. This way, we'd both make out well. Anyone?
E-mail me privately please at Danrc30(at)hotmail.com

Thank you.

---Dan

http://profiles.msn.com.

Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 20:46:57 -0500 (EST)
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Tires

I was out the other day pushing my the D a bit, and I found what I'd call a
considerable understeer.  Has anyone considered/tried putting softer tires
in the front than in the back - ie
Yoko A520 in front/Yoko AVS intermediate in the rear?

Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 21:01:24 -0500
From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>
Subject: Antenna cutoff switch done

I went to a local auto part store and got a small thin black rocker type
switch with two leads.  The antenna wire was easily identified by the
bright blue label on it from the radio manufacturer.  I cut the car's
original white wire after the push in connector and hooked up the
switch.  I fired up my CD player and "voila" no antenna going up!!  I
then flicked on the switch and up it went.  So if I am listening to the
CD player for long periods, stopping and getting out etc... I am not
putting un-needed wear and tear on the antenna mechanism.

The big question was, where was I going to install the switch?  I
pondered over cutting a hole in one of the dummy switches, but it would
have meant more work running the wire under the console.  I ended up
finding the most easiest solution........I tucked the switch in-between
the center console and the right side drivers knee pad where they meet!
It is a very snug fit and the pressure from the two keep so firmly in
place that the switch does not move at all when flicking it.  The best
part is you cannot see if even if you try and it is easily in reach by
just placing your hand underneath the knee pad.

This placement also leaves me the option of removing the switch without
marring or cutting any of the interior trim.  I wrapped the switch edges
so it would not rub or cut either knee pad or console.   I didn't really
want to upset the integrity of the stock switches....dummy or not.  I
though about getting a defrost switch but you end up with the accidental
turning it on from your shift arm as well as having to remove the
defrost logo somehow.

If you are thinking about installing a switch like this because your
radio isn't as sophisticated as some mentioned in other postings, try
the tight fit between these two trim pieces.  It worked for me!  Thanks
to everyone for the advise and feedback

Tom
vin #005732 MT

Check out my DeLorean web site

http://www.geocities.com/outatime81/

Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 09:00:16 -0500
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: DeLorean Election Results

In case anyone missed it, in last night's election John DeLorean's nephew
Mark ran for County Commissioner here in Cleveland's Cuyahoga County.

The results are in, and Mark DeLorean failed to unseat the incumbent.
From clevelandlive.com:

COUNTY COMMISSIONER (FULL TERM COMM 1-03-01)
               DEM - JANE L. CAMPBELL   .  .  .  .  .     356,499   74.24
               REP - MARK DeLOREAN   .  .  .  .  .  .     123,703   25.76

A member of the DeLorean family in politics might help raise interest in our cars, especially if that person ever sought national office.
If Mr. DeLorean is not too discouraged by this election, perhaps he will
try again someday.  After all, he did get the support of 123,703 people.

- Mike Substelny

Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 14:02:45 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>
Subject: Re: Hot Start Problem

Perhaps you need the fitting on that screws into the top of the pump
to attach the main fuel line to.  You old fuel pump you sold me still
had this on it and I did not know what to do with it as it looked
different from the fitting I have.  Perhaps you need this part back.
If nobody else has any suggestions, let me know and I'll mail it back
to you. (ultra'at'isd.net)

Jim Reeve

[long quote removed by moderator]

Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 10:07:08 -0500
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: Re: Tires

Jim Strickland wrote:

> I was out the other day pushing my the D a bit, and I found what I'd call a
> considerable understeer.

Understeer in a rear-engine car?  Under what circumstances did you experience
this?

>  Has anyone considered/tried putting softer tires
> in the front than in the back - ie
> Yoko A520 in front/Yoko AVS intermediate in the rear?

As we have heard frequently in the news lately, if you run your tires at any
pressure other than that specified by the automobile's manufacturer you might
create a safety hazard.  Perhaps it is possible to run a "softer" tire at a
pressure that will give adequate safety, but I have no idea how to determine
this, and I do not even know who to ask.  I would be afraid to trust the advice
of an anonymous person on the internet.

Who should answer Jim's question?  If a person claimed to me that they could
improve handling by changing my tire parameters, what sort of credentials
should he/she present before I listen to him/her?

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 7 years