From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2000 2:19 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 293

1. Re: Die-Cast DeLorean 1/18 scale model - looking for who makes it
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

2. Re: Catalytic converters
From: Louie Golden <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

3. Re: Repair history of Ben's car
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

4. Re: Re: 160 mph face question...
From: "Lynn Metz" <metzlynn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Re: Catalytic converters
From: "Rob Hook" <robhook_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

6. Re: Catalytic converters
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

7. Re: scedt26t7bd001265 and overheating
From: robertbrady <robertbrady_at_dml_earthlink.net>

8. Re: 160 mph face question...
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

9. Re: 160 mph face question...
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

10. Re: Catalytic converters
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. Re: Catalytic converters
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

12. Re: scedt26t7bd001265 and overheating
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. Re: Die-Cast DeLorean 1/18 scale model - looking for who makes it
From: Yates Chris <My1983DMC_at_dml_Yahoo.ca>

14. DeLorean Phone Card!!
From: Tamir Ardon <tamir_at_dml_clivepearse.com>

15. Re: Re: 160 mph face question...
From: "Richard W. Schauer" <rws_at_dml_enteract.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:15:16 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Die-Cast DeLorean 1/18 scale model - looking for who makes it

Sunstar is working on a 1/18 scale model of the DeLorean, similar to
the Burago style of models out for other makes. I think they are
planning to have it done next summer.

Marty Maier was the one who coordinated and got the deal done with
All American Models, which used a BTTF donor car as a base. After the
initial run of 25 or so, I think the molds cracked again and Art (at
All American) wasn't interested in making anymore.

As far as Lee's models, be interested to know where that stands now...

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:44:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Louie Golden <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Catalytic converters

I know a guy who recently took out the catalytic converter on his car and put a section of pipe in its place, and believe me, it won't go unnoticed. It completely changes the exhaust note, making the car much louder and and in my opinion much more unpleasent sounding (with just the stock exhaust system). I couldn't really tell that the performance had been enhanced either. On a similar note, the delorean owners club of UK's site has an audio clip (under the downloads section) of a euro spec (no catalytic converter) D with aftermarket exhaust. It sounds awesome in my opinion, but unlike any DeLorean I have ever heard! If it is added power, and a better exhaust note is what you are after, why not just put in a high flow exhaust system? I know it is much more expensive, but hey it is legal!! :-)  I am not very mechanically minded, but I am pretty sure you won't pass emissions without a catalytic converter. I am sure the inspectors would notice by the exhaust note alone. I hope th!
!
is doesn't come across as an attack, I was just responding to the questions you presented. Just thought I would add my usual 2 cents....-Louie

YourName_at_dml_delorean.com -- it's free from <a href="http://www.delorean.com"> DeLorean Motor Company</a>!

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 16:02:45 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Repair history of Ben's car

Ben -

As I *think* I told you before, unless you can tell me the name of
the previous owner (correctly, the names you gave me in the past -
Berger, Weinberg, Malcolm/Matthew Robinson - don't exist in our
computers), I CAN'T HELP YOU. Unlike other shops that track the cars
by VIN (and therefore want your VIN number when you call), we keep
track of our customers by their names.

So, the ball is in YOUR court. Feel free to email me privately with
this information when you get it.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:25:39 PST
From: "Lynn Metz" <metzlynn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: 160 mph face question...

There were two original 140 MPH speedos in Cleveland, mine and Mike Babb's.
These are the only two I have ever seen, although Warren remembers about
seeing about 6 total.
Brian 16584

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 18:21:52 -0800
From: "Rob Hook" <robhook_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

Lou,

In most states a car with a missing catalytic converter could have passed up
until a few years ago, assuming the inspector didn't physically look for a
catalytic converter.  That's really no longer true.  In my state (Virginia)
they now have a four-gas test that specifically looks for nitrous oxide.  My
car had had the converter hollowed out by a previous owner and I tried and
tried to get it to pass (even testing it and getting it to pass on my own
three-gas analyzer) before finally taking the catalytic converter off and
realizing it was empty.

I will say that when I put a new converter on it I could definitely notice a
difference in the performance and exhaust tone.  The performance hit is not
noticeable at low RPMs but you can tell the difference between 4 and 6K for
sure.

An inspector definitely wouldn't notice a lack of a converter based on
exhaust tone as most of them have never even seen a DeLorean before, much
less know what it's supposed to sound like.  Hell, I've had one or two ask
me if mine had the Ford or optional AMC engine! :)

--Rob Hook

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 18:32:59 -0500
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

Louie,

No attack was felt at all...  That is some nice to know background about the
situation.

On another (exhaust) note, I'm wondering if my converter may already be
hollowed out.  There is another Delorean owner in town who I hang out with
(Randy) and he complains that he thinks that my exhaust sounds better than
his.  We both have '81 models with the smaller exhaust tips.  He says that
mine sounds more 'throaty'.  I would have to listen to both cars running
side-by-side before I could make up my mind.

Why don't I do a high flow exhaust system?  Well, finding one is the problem
(not to mention cost).  I'm willing to make about anything from scratch, but
it takes me forever to get anything done.  For the record, can you say who
makes high-flow exhaust systems for the Delorean?

Thanks,
Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 19:54:28 -0500
From: robertbrady <robertbrady_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: scedt26t7bd001265 and overheating

carfax says that there are 5 things wrong on that car
how ever i can not pull up the problems
good luck bob

Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 01:58:29 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: 160 mph face question...

A word of caution here on changing speedos. It is allright to
recalibrate your speedometer but to change it with another not
origional to the car with a different mileage on the odometer requires
a sticker to be attached to the car indicating that the speedo was
changed, the mileages, and dates. Any good shop that does speedo work
can do that and also verify the accuracy to the car. Of course any
good mechanic could swap the odometers and you would still have the
correct mileage but technically that is not supposed to be done.

Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 03:20:58 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

That's another thing that depends on where you live. Here in
Illinois, once a car is over ten years old the state stops tracking
odometer readings. They figure that after that time, the mileage has
relatively little impact on the value of the car.

Dave Swingle

Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 02:08:37 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

In New Jersey they are getting very crazy. They will check for a
sticker saying a converter is required and then verify with a mirror
for a visual inspection. Last year they even tested my gas cap! Take
heart though, a Delorean in good tune will pass even without a cat, it
has a very good fuel injection system when everything is working
well. I even passed on the dyno although I wasn't too happy about
letting them drive it. In Jersey after the dyno they race the car onto
the brake tester and lock up the brakes to make sure all 4 wheels are
working, you almost don't want to watch! At least they only do it
every 2 years now. Maybe I should go for the new collecter's class
license, I won't have to put myself and the car through this again?

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 21:15:04 -0500 (EST)
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Rob Hook wrote:

> In most states a car with a missing catalytic converter could have
> passed up until a few years ago, assuming the inspector didn't
> physically look for a catalytic converter.  That's really no longer

It really varies from place to place.  In Colorado, 1981 and older
vehicles get a *much* less thorough emissions test than more recent cars.
Most (if not all) states have some sort of age-related emissions exemption
- although just how old your car has to be, and what sort of a break you
get, varies from place to place.

On any car, simply replacing the catalytic converter with a piece of pipe
may or may not improve acceleration and will surely make it louder.  It is
possible to make specially designed pipes which improve power with minimal
increase in noise, but I don't know of any available for the DeLorean.

The best solution, unless you have a good reason to do otherwise, is
simply to leave the original cat in place.  The DeLorean exhaust and
manifold are restrictive enough that the cat is not a major obstruction by
itself.  If you are planning on extensive exhaust reworking you might get
some benefit by removing the cat - but replacing it with a modern cat will
yield better-than-stock emissions and only 1 or 2 HP difference in power
vs. a straight through pipe.

Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 02:16:20 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Make sure that the coolant level when cold is halfway filling the
header bottle. Check that the fans are both running and blowing the
air front to back ( the fans are secure on the motor shafts) bleed the
system at the radiater on the right small hose and the water pump
bleeder. Check the circuit breakers next to the fuse panel and wiring.
If these simple things do not correct the overheating then it could be
serious but most of the time these steps will correct an overheat.
Davidn Teitelbaum
vin 10757

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 21:24:41 -0500 (EST)
From: Yates Chris <My1983DMC_at_dml_Yahoo.ca>

Dear Rob,

I recently went to a HOBBY SHOW and found out that a
company called Sun Star is coming out with a 1/18
scale model Delorean later this year. the web site is
djdiecast.com, tried it, but it won't work. Hope this
helps you. I'm excited too.

Chris Yates
My1983DMC_at_dml_Yahoo.ca

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 18:44:22 -0800 (PST)
From: Tamir Ardon <tamir_at_dml_clivepearse.com>
Subject: DeLorean Phone Card!!

Hi group,

Just wanted to let everyone know I plan on producing a
DeLorean Phone Card.  You may have seen a card on ebay
before that has zero minutes, well mine will actually
be useful as well as be a novelty item.  I would like
to get a good idea how many people would want one of
these cards, so visit this link to view the card and
description.

http://www.entermyworld.com/dstore/

I hope some of you take an interest in it.

Regards,
Tamir
http://www.entermyworld.com

http://shopping.yahoo.com/

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 22:11:50 -0600 (CST)
From: "Richard W. Schauer" <rws_at_dml_enteract.com>

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Jim Reeve wrote:

> A 160mph face? I would love to see some pictures of this as I have
> never even heard of it before.  I've heard of, and seen in person the

My car has this speedometer face.  It was sold by DMCA (DeLorean Motor
Club of America) back around 1984.  I don't think many were sold; meither
the font of the letters and numbers, nor the plastic material itself,
match the tachometer.  If you have or can find copies of "De Gull
Wing" from back then, there's probably a picture or at least a blurb about
it.

Richard Schauer