From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2000 2:17 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 297

Before posting messages or replies, see the posting policy rules at:
www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
moderator_at_dml_dmcnews.com

There are 22 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1. Re: Frequency valve
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

2. The Hippy Hippy Shake?!
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: Re: Protecting your D...
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

4. Re: Fuel Injector flex lines
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

5. met you at Vegas show/ralley
From: WtrResQ_at_dml_AOL.com

6. Re: Fuel Injector flex lines
From: Mike Hirko <mikehirko_at_dml_tdn.com>

7. Re: Thingamabobs and Dohickeys
From: Mike Hirko <mikehirko_at_dml_tdn.com>

8. VEGAS
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: New owner
From: rbrogren_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: Re: Auto. Trans Problem
From: dmcdelorean2_at_dml_aol.com

11. Protecting your D look!!!
From: efren hicks <marty_mcflyJr_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: The Hippy Hippy Shake?!
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

13. RE: The Hippy Hippy Shake?!
From: nheywo - Nick Heywood <nick.heywood_at_dml_acxiom.com>

14. Re: The Hippy Hippy Shake?!
From: DLoff80_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: Protecting your D look!!!
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Re: Fuel Injector flex lines
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

17. Don't forget AOL chat!
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com

18. Re: Re: Protecting your D look!!!
From: "Kevin Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

19. Re: New owner
From: "John Hervey" <dherv10_at_dml_aol.com>

20. Re: Re: Protecting your D look!!!
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

21. De Lorean Listining stick
From: "John Hervey" <dherv10_at_dml_aol.com>

22. Re: Re: Protecting your D look!!!
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com





Message: 1
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 01:23:47 -0500
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Frequency valve

I agree with John Hervey on this one.  You really need an oscilloscope to
see what is going on.  The signal going from the ECU to the frequency valve
is a square wave signal oscillating at 70 Hertz.  (Switching on and off 70
times a second).  The first thing to check for is if the signal is present.
A very cheap and effective way to do that is to listen for the frequency
valve buzzing.  It sounds like a noisy fluorescent light fixture only
slightly higher pitched (70 Hertz instead of 50 or 60 Hertz depending on
which part of the planet you are on.)  If you are in doubt as to whether or
not you hear it while the engine is running, get a very long handle screw
driver and hold the tip against the valve and put the handle against your
ear.  The sound is unmistakable.  If you don't hear that sound, then you
know you've got problems.  If you do hear the sound and you are still
wondering if the Lambda ECU is properly adjusting the duty cycle of the
signal to the frequency valve, then you need a scope or a dwell meter.  A
typical Volt-Ohm-Amp meter won't do this trick.

I've said too much! :)
Walt    Tampa, FL




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 2
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 00:16:59 GMT
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: The Hippy Hippy Shake?!


I have noticed that my DeLoreans' steering wheel tends to shake and vibrate 
when I use the brakes. I've also noticed that the car does go straight 
forward when the brakes are applied, it does not tend to pull to either the 
left or right side. I suppose this shaking/vibrating isn't normal so what 
can be done to correct this? Is this condition dangerous in any way? Do I 
need a new steering rack? The car has only 12,800 miles on it.

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759
(Hey, does anyone want a milkshake? ;) )
_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at 
http://profiles.msn.com.




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 3
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 08:51:06 -0500
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: Re: Re: Protecting your D...

In addition to the other issues, DeLoreans are just about the worst
getaway cars in the world.  Everyone notices DeLoreans, and everyone
remembers seeing them go by.

Consider the large number of "I saw a DeLorean Eastbound on Highway X
last Thursday at 4:07 PM" posts we DML readers see.  It is difficult for
a real car thief to blend in and disappear in such a car.

In my opinion, DeLoreans are much more likely to be targets of 14 year
old joyriders who plan on abandoning the car after they are done with it.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 7years




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 4
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:34:11 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Injector flex lines

You are correct in that once the lines are filled with fuel whatever 
goes in comes out in equal volume. Remember not all of the origional 
lines are of equal length anyway. What you should be more concerned 
about in changing the lines is that the fuel is under high pressure 
and any leak will turn into a blowtorch. If you replace the lines or 
fittings you MUST use the correct materiels (compatible with fuel) and 
fittings capable of operating under the temperatures and pressures 
which the origional parts were capable of. Anything less and if the 
worst were to happen it is possible the insurance company won't pay.
This is another example of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".The hoses 
of the fuel system are not prone to failure, the worst that can happen 
to them short of a fire is that they can get dirty inside from dirty 
fuel. If you want to "dress up" your engine just put some kind of 
covering over the hoses.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757 


--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, "Sean Howley" <tsuyoi_at_dml_m...> wrote:
> My friend and I were discussing the DeLorean fuel injection system 
today and we came up with an issue that I am curious about whether or 
not our conclusion was correct.  The question is:  If I were to 
replace my fuel lines supplying the injectors and installed the wrong 
hose size (larger inside diameter than stock), would this effect the 
operation of the system in any way?
> 
> Our conclusion was that no matter what the size of the tube, as the 
fuel in added by the fuel distributor, the amount exiting should be 
the same as stock.  In other words, the fuel line is only a reservoir 
for "holding" the fuel as it is moved to the injector.
> 
> Sean Howley
> VIN#2345
> 
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 5
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:26:10 EST
From: WtrResQ_at_dml_AOL.com
Subject: met you at Vegas show/ralley

my apologies for using the list to find someone....

I met a man and his wife at the Vegas show but forgot your names and we lost 
each other before trading email addresses.  I recall that you and your wife 
had just purchased your car within the past 2 weeks and it was still in 
Texas(?).  and, that you work for Chevron and your wife for MGM.  Please 
email me privately.  thx



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 6
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:48:59 -0800
From: Mike Hirko <mikehirko_at_dml_tdn.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Injector flex lines

Sean Howley wrote:

> My friend and I were discussing the DeLorean fuel injection system today and we came up with an issue that I am curious about whether or not our conclusion was correct.  The question is:  If I were to replace my fuel lines supplying the injectors and installed the wrong hose size (larger inside diameter than stock), would this effect the operation of the system in any way?

NO.  As we all supposedly learned in high school, pressure exerted upon an enclosed liquid is transmitted undiminished throughout the enclosed liquid.  The question becomes, then, one of the volume.  Your larger capacity inside diameter hose would supply the same pressure as the correct size hose, and have the "capacity" to supply more volume.  The volume (amount of fuel
delivered) is controlled by the injectors, at the delivery point, and thus would remain as stock.

> Our conclusion was that no matter what the size of the tube, as the fuel in added by the fuel distributor, the amount exiting should be the same as stock.  In other words, the fuel line is only a reservoir for "holding" the fuel as it is moved to the injector.
>

WRONG!  If the hose is SMALLER in diameter, it COULD restrict the volume of fuel delivered to the injectors, depending upon the capacity of the fuel pump/distributor to keep up.  I say COULD, not necessarily WOULD.

Larger SHOULD pose no problem (other than potential leaking at fittings, chafing, etc).  Smaller COULD pose fuel delivery volume problems (and potential splitting at fittings, etc).  Also, if the restriction is sufficient enough, loss of flow volume could be compounded by a corresponding loss in pressure.

Mike Hirko
Kelso   WA
VIN 1387




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 7
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:57:22 -0800
From: Mike Hirko <mikehirko_at_dml_tdn.com>
Subject: Re: Thingamabobs and Dohickeys

James Espey wrote:

<snip>   After some troubleshooting and further investigation, we diagnosed the
ROOT of  the problem and corrected it properly. He still has the Lockzilla, but
doesn't need to reset the circuit breaker at all anymore. <snip>

James,
    Why don't you please tell the rest of us what the ROOT was?  I, for one,
would certainly appreciate knowing.

Mike Hirko
Kelso   WA
VIN 1387




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 8
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:14:37 EST
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: VEGAS

In a message dated 07-Nov-00 7:53:02 PM GMT Standard Time, 
msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu writes:

>  I have heard a lot of great
>  things about Las Vegas.  Please post to the DML about how much fun you 
have.
 
Had a ball in Vegas at the weekend.  Great to meet Ken Koncelik and Ken 
Montgomery for the first time, not to mention meeting many friends in the 
DeLorean Owners Association again.  Many of the attendees intend coming to 
Belfast for the Eurofest next year.  (May 24th thru May 27th).  Currently 
under discussion with the Dutch, German and Swedish Clubs about their 
participation at the event.  (Many other countries already confirmed).   
Registration begins on 1st January 2001. Some tourist details can be found 
at: www.gotobelfast.com.
Best wishes,
Robert Lamrock
Organiser  



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 9
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:47:57 EST
From: rbrogren_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: New owner

Thank you to all that answered, both here and via e-mail!
Sorry about the omissions, my first more detailed posting disappeared into 
cyberspace and when rewriting it I omitted some information!

To DMC Joe:
- Torsion bar; thanks, I'll replace it.
- Starter modification; how do I determine if the started has been upgraded 
with the mod? The starter is marked PARIS RHONE D10E59, 12V <--CO, Made in 
France.
- Heat shield in this case is the one between the muffler and the engine. The 
shield is about 23 inches wide and 8 high. It covers the crank and alternator 
pulleys, but not the water pump, idlers or A/C pulleys. 
(Previous owner had to replace bushings/seals on some of the pulleys, 
presumably because of the radiated heat from the muffler.)

To Knut:
No apologies needed! I agree 100% with getting to the root of the problem 
rather than wholesale part swapping and I will tackle the possible problem 
that way. 
The reason for my quesion was based on the many relay problems I have read 
about here. If the original components are inherently unreliable or prone to 
age related malfunctions and if better components are available, I thought it 
may be better to replace them all at the same time. 
It may appear that I am advocating a "shotgun technique", but that is really 
not the case. Please remember that I have less than a week of ownership and 
at this time I am trying to put together a plan of action to assure that the 
right areas are tackled in a logical sequence, i.e., the sequence you 
recommend. IF I find something wrong I want to correct it with an improved 
component, if one is available. (Refer to John Harvey's comments about the 
relays in the same post.)

To John Harvey:
My alternator is marked Valeo 3939830, 98R2938T, 14V, 90 A.  It looks a bit 
dinky for a 90 Amp alternator if it is of the original vintage! If in fact 
this alternator is too weak for the application it would seem logical to 
replace it.
Your comments make sense and although any modifications from original would 
be detrimental from a concourse standpoint I think I am more interested in 
making the car more reliable as I move along.

Thanks again to all, your help is greatly appreciated!

BTW: Someone posted a switch fix using a spring from a Bic pen. My engine 
compartment switch didn't work, the spring was missing and the Bic spring did 
the job! Small item but big help. Thanks!
 
Roger


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 10
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:57:56 EST
From: dmcdelorean2_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Auto. Trans Problem

I adjusted the modulater and now I have 3 bars of pressure in neutral and 5 
bars of pressure in drive. It still slips. Does anyone have a chart of how 
the fluid pressure is supposed be. 


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 11
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:21:24 -0800 (PST)
From: efren hicks <marty_mcflyJr_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Protecting your D look!!!

hey walter

the club is a very bad idea for all members to use  
as a "protection device" do u know how easy it is to
steal a car with a club all u have to do is bring a
saw and cut the leather (takes less than 15
seconds)steering wheel take the club off  mess with
the ignition and the car is gone i recommend u get
that new lock that goes on your pedals i dont know if
u have heard about it . its the best one ive seen  i
should know i live in eas los angeles i see car get
jacked all the time 

efren

16072
--- Walter <Whalt_at_dml_att.net> wrote:
> Richard,
> 
> This has been discussed a few weeks ago on the DML. 
> The quote that I like
> best was from someone who said something to the
> effect of, "Have you seen a
> Delorean?  Yeah, it went that way."  These cars are
> not anything that you
> can go around town in and not be noticed.  I had a
> guy stop me by the door
> of a restaurant that I frequent asking me if I was
> the guy with the
> Delorean.  And I didn't even drive the Delorean that
> day!
> 
> I think that it would be a cool idea at future
> Delorean shows to have a
> video camera filming people getting in and out of
> their cars.  We could have
> contests to see who looks the coolest while doing
> this.  So many people
> watch me open & close those doors that I sometimes
> feel self conscious.  (Is
> my hair straight, is my fly open, do my socks
> match?).  It's almost like
> waving a big stainless steel flag every time you
> open a door.
> 
> I would think that if anyone stole a Delorean, they
> would have to be very
> familiar with what they are getting into.  I've
> watched passengers get in
> and out of mine.  It's rather funny watching them
> try to figure out how to
> open the door from the inside.  If the average
> person has trouble figuring
> out how to get in and out of the car, I can imagine
> the trouble that some
> idiot would have trying to steel one.  And if he got
> away with it, someone
> somewhere would recognize the car or even parts from
> the car.  I can
> describe just about every little imperfection in the
> body of mine.
> 
> About using a club... I don't normally put one on my
> Delorean because I've
> used one (the Club brand) on another car with a
> leather steering wheel, and
> it damaged the leather on the wheel.  Somehow the
> vinyl or plastic or
> whatever the stuff is has managed to scuff the
> leather.  I'm not sure how it
> did this, but it has done it in several places.  I
> think it has something to
> do with the rubbery club parts sticking to the
> leather and then having the
> hot sun and gravity pull the club down once it has
> gripped the leather.
> Before I put a club on my D again, I'm going to
> cover the rubber pieces with
> a felt sleeve.
> 
> Walt    Tampa, FL
> 
> 
> 
> Before posting messages or replies, see the posting
> policy rules at:
> www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html
> 
> To address comments privately to the moderating
> team, please address:
> moderator_at_dml_dmcnews.com
> 


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Calendar - Get organized for the holidays!
http://calendar.yahoo.com/



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 12
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:49:58 -0500 (EST)
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>
Subject: Re: The Hippy Hippy Shake?!

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Stian Birkeland wrote:

> I have noticed that my DeLoreans' steering wheel tends to shake and
> vibrate when I use the brakes. I've also noticed that the car does go
> straight forward when the brakes are applied, it does not tend to pull

You probably have a warped brake rotor.  Common causes of rotor death are
improperly torqued lugs, getting water on hot brakes, or (rarely) getting
the brakes really hot and then holding the brakes.

The best thing to do is to take the brake rotors off, take them to a shop
and have them turn them.  If they are not warped too badly, they can be
repaired.  Otherwise you will have to get a new rotor.

I personally don't recommend taking the whole car to a brake shop.  They
are likely to fix the warped rotor, put a new one on and then torque the
lugs with an impact wrench and warp the rotors again. :}

> dangerous in any way? Do I need a new steering rack? The car has only
> 12,800 miles on it.

Your steering rack is probably OK, however, it would be a good place to
look if the brake rotors don't pan out.




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 13
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:57:15 +1100
From: nheywo - Nick Heywood <nick.heywood_at_dml_acxiom.com>
Subject: RE: The Hippy Hippy Shake?!

Stian wrote:

>I suppose this shaking/vibrating isn't normal so what 
>can be done to correct this? Is this condition dangerous in any way? Do I 
>need a new steering rack? 

Last time I experienced this, it was on my old '68 MGB GT, but it was only a
problem when braking from over 40mph or so. First diagnosis (mine) was
warped front discs, which I replaced... whilst carrying out this repair, I
noticed that the front suspension was actually very loosely connected to the
chassis by a couple of rusty old bolts!! The whole suspension unit swung
about an inch from side to side when I jacked the car up. Needless to say,
these were replaced pretty quickly, and after that, no further problems...!!

>(Hey, does anyone want a milkshake? ;) )

Banana, please!

Nick - VIN someday *sigh*



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 14
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 18:56:11 EST
From: DLoff80_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: The Hippy Hippy Shake?!

Have your brakes checked....that fixed my car a year or two ago.

Good Luck
Dave Loffler
Johnston, RI
VIN- In the future


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 15
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 00:06:02 -0000
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Protecting your D look!!!

The name of the product Efren is referring to is Auto-Lock. Tehy 
don't supply for Audi, Volkswagen or Porsche, they mention nothing 
about DeLorean.
Here's the website:

http://www.lawmancorp.com/

Best Wishes,
John Dore, Ireland.
www.dmcjohn.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, efren hicks <marty_mcflyJr_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> hey walter
> 
> the club is a very bad idea for all members to use  
> as a "protection device" do u know how easy it is to
> steal a car with a club all u have to do is bring a
> saw and cut the leather (takes less than 15
> seconds)steering wheel take the club off  mess with
> the ignition and the car is gone i recommend u get
> that new lock that goes on your pedals i dont know if
> u have heard about it . its the best one ive seen  i
> should know i live in eas los angeles i see car get
> jacked all the time 
> 
> efren
> 
> 16072
> --- Walter <Whalt_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> > Richard,
> > 
> > This has been discussed a few weeks ago on the DML. 
> > The quote that I like
> > best was from someone who said something to the
> > effect of, "Have you seen a
> > Delorean?  Yeah, it went that way."  These cars are
> > not anything that you
> > can go around town in and not be noticed.  I had a
> > guy stop me by the door
> > of a restaurant that I frequent asking me if I was
> > the guy with the
> > Delorean.  And I didn't even drive the Delorean that
> > day!
> > 
> > I think that it would be a cool idea at future
> > Delorean shows to have a
> > video camera filming people getting in and out of
> > their cars.  We could have
> > contests to see who looks the coolest while doing
> > this.  So many people
> > watch me open & close those doors that I sometimes
> > feel self conscious.  (Is
> > my hair straight, is my fly open, do my socks
> > match?).  It's almost like
> > waving a big stainless steel flag every time you
> > open a door.
> > 
> > I would think that if anyone stole a Delorean, they
> > would have to be very
> > familiar with what they are getting into.  I've
> > watched passengers get in
> > and out of mine.  It's rather funny watching them
> > try to figure out how to
> > open the door from the inside.  If the average
> > person has trouble figuring
> > out how to get in and out of the car, I can imagine
> > the trouble that some
> > idiot would have trying to steel one.  And if he got
> > away with it, someone
> > somewhere would recognize the car or even parts from
> > the car.  I can
> > describe just about every little imperfection in the
> > body of mine.
> > 
> > About using a club... I don't normally put one on my
> > Delorean because I've
> > used one (the Club brand) on another car with a
> > leather steering wheel, and
> > it damaged the leather on the wheel.  Somehow the
> > vinyl or plastic or
> > whatever the stuff is has managed to scuff the
> > leather.  I'm not sure how it
> > did this, but it has done it in several places.  I
> > think it has something to
> > do with the rubbery club parts sticking to the
> > leather and then having the
> > hot sun and gravity pull the club down once it has
> > gripped the leather.
> > Before I put a club on my D again, I'm going to
> > cover the rubber pieces with
> > a felt sleeve.
> > 
> > Walt    Tampa, FL
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > Before posting messages or replies, see the posting
> > policy rules at:
> > www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html
> > 
> > To address comments privately to the moderating
> > team, please address:
> > moderator_at_dml_d...
> > 
> 
> 
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Yahoo! Calendar - Get organized for the holidays!
> http://calendar.yahoo.com/




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 16
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 18:08:38 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Injector flex lines

Sean,

You are correct; a fuel line size that is larger than stock should not
effect fuel system operation.

"We're here to help you"

DMC Help / De Lorean Services / <dmchelp_at_dml_att.net>
Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

----- Original Message -----
From: Sean Howley <tsuyoi_at_dml_mindspring.com>
To: DMC News <dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com>
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2000 9:45 PM
Subject: [DML] Fuel Injector flex lines


> My friend and I were discussing the DeLorean fuel injection system today
and we came up with an issue that I am curious about whether or not our
conclusion was correct.  The question is:  If I were to replace my fuel
lines supplying the injectors and installed the wrong hose size (larger
inside diameter than stock), would this effect the operation of the system
in any way?
>
> Our conclusion was that no matter what the size of the tube, as the fuel
in added by the fuel distributor, the amount exiting should be the same as
stock.  In other words, the fuel line is only a reservoir for "holding" the
fuel as it is moved to the injector.
>
> Sean Howley
> VIN#2345





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 17
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:30:49 EST
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com
Subject: Don't forget AOL chat!

For all AOL members who would still like to take part in the chat
we have been trying to do for the past two weeks, don't forget about
joining in.  It will be this WEDNESDAY evening (tomorrow) at 5:00 pm
Pacific Time, 8 pm eastern, in the Special Interests catagory.  It 
will be titled "DeLorean Chat."  Last week only myself and Iznomad (Darren) 
showed up, so we would like to get more AOL DeLorean owners/enthusiasts there 
this week.

We'll be there till everyone leaves!  Check it out if you can,

Richard
 



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 18
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 18:50:45 -0600
From: "Kevin Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Protecting your D look!!!

I don't know about the automatic, but I doubt it will work properly. I know
the product won't work with the standard tranny because there is no
starter-tranny interlock doohickey.
You know, the starter will engage whether the tranny is in neutral or clutch
depressed or not.
The pedal lock depends on the starter to not work unless the clutch is
depressed; thus by locking the clutch up it could not be started. Not true
with my DMC12. Unless someone knows how to put an intertie in....
With an automatic, the pedal lock assumes that you can't shift into gear
unless the brake is fully pressed. Is that true with our 19 year old cars?

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2000 6:06 PM
Subject: [DML] Re: Protecting your D look!!!


> The name of the product Efren is referring to is Auto-Lock. Tehy
> don't supply for Audi, Volkswagen or Porsche, they mention nothing
> about DeLorean.
> Here's the website:
>
> http://www.lawmancorp.com/
>
> Best Wishes,
> John Dore, Ireland.
> www.dmcjohn.com
>
> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, efren hicks <marty_mcflyJr_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> > hey walter
> >
> > the club is a very bad idea for all members to use
> > as a "protection device" do u know how easy it is to
> > steal a car with a club all u have to do is bring a
> > saw and cut the leather (takes less than 15
> > seconds)steering wheel take the club off  mess with
> > the ignition and the car is gone i recommend u get
> > that new lock that goes on your pedals i dont know if
> > u have heard about it . its the best one ive seen  i
> > should know i live in eas los angeles i see car get
> > jacked all the time
> >
> > efren
> >
> > 16072
> > --- Walter <Whalt_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> > > Richard,
> > >
> > > This has been discussed a few weeks ago on the DML.
> > > The quote that I like
> > > best was from someone who said something to the
> > > effect of, "Have you seen a
> > > Delorean?  Yeah, it went that way."  These cars are
> > > not anything that you
> > > can go around town in and not be noticed.  I had a
> > > guy stop me by the door
> > > of a restaurant that I frequent asking me if I was
> > > the guy with the
> > > Delorean.  And I didn't even drive the Delorean that
> > > day!
> > >
> > > I think that it would be a cool idea at future
> > > Delorean shows to have a
> > > video camera filming people getting in and out of
> > > their cars.  We could have
> > > contests to see who looks the coolest while doing
> > > this.  So many people
> > > watch me open & close those doors that I sometimes
> > > feel self conscious.  (Is
> > > my hair straight, is my fly open, do my socks
> > > match?).  It's almost like
> > > waving a big stainless steel flag every time you
> > > open a door.
> > >
> > > I would think that if anyone stole a Delorean, they
> > > would have to be very
> > > familiar with what they are getting into.  I've
> > > watched passengers get in
> > > and out of mine.  It's rather funny watching them
> > > try to figure out how to
> > > open the door from the inside.  If the average
> > > person has trouble figuring
> > > out how to get in and out of the car, I can imagine
> > > the trouble that some
> > > idiot would have trying to steel one.  And if he got
> > > away with it, someone
> > > somewhere would recognize the car or even parts from
> > > the car.  I can
> > > describe just about every little imperfection in the
> > > body of mine.
> > >
> > > About using a club... I don't normally put one on my
> > > Delorean because I've
> > > used one (the Club brand) on another car with a
> > > leather steering wheel, and
> > > it damaged the leather on the wheel.  Somehow the
> > > vinyl or plastic or
> > > whatever the stuff is has managed to scuff the
> > > leather.  I'm not sure how it
> > > did this, but it has done it in several places.  I
> > > think it has something to
> > > do with the rubbery club parts sticking to the
> > > leather and then having the
> > > hot sun and gravity pull the club down once it has
> > > gripped the leather.
> > > Before I put a club on my D again, I'm going to
> > > cover the rubber pieces with
> > > a felt sleeve.
> > >
> > > Walt    Tampa, FL
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Before posting messages or replies, see the posting
> > > policy rules at:
> > > www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html
> > >
> > > To address comments privately to the moderating
> > > team, please address:
> > > moderator_at_dml_d...
> > >
> >
> >
> > __________________________________________________
> > Do You Yahoo!?
> > Yahoo! Calendar - Get organized for the holidays!
> > http://calendar.yahoo.com/
>
>
>
> Before posting messages or replies, see the posting policy rules at:
> www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html
>
> To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
> moderator_at_dml_dmcnews.com
>




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 19
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 03:26:06 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <dherv10_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: New owner

Robert, 
I have very detailed info on what to look for and what to do. 
Normally if the starter clicks but won't start or turn over, the mod 
needs to be made. If you have a fax number you can email me privatly 
I will fax the detail instructions. I can also fax relay info as 
well. 
John Hervey

 --- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, rbrogren_at_dml_a... wrote:
> Thank you to all that answered, both here and via e-mail!
> Sorry about the omissions, my first more detailed posting 
disappeared into 
> cyberspace and when rewriting it I omitted some information!
> 
> To DMC Joe:
> - Torsion bar; thanks, I'll replace it.
> - Starter modification; how do I determine if the started has been 
upgraded 
> with the mod? The starter is marked PARIS RHONE D10E59, 12V <--CO, 
Made in 
> France.
> - Heat shield in this case is the one between the muffler and the 
engine. The 
> shield is about 23 inches wide and 8 high. It covers the crank and 
alternator 
> pulleys, but not the water pump, idlers or A/C pulleys. 
> (Previous owner had to replace bushings/seals on some of the 
pulleys, 
> presumably because of the radiated heat from the muffler.)
> 
> To Knut:
> No apologies needed! I agree 100% with getting to the root of the 
problem 
> rather than wholesale part swapping and I will tackle the possible 
problem 
> that way. 
> The reason for my quesion was based on the many relay problems I 
have read 
> about here. If the original components are inherently unreliable or 
prone to 
> age related malfunctions and if better components are available, I 
thought it 
> may be better to replace them all at the same time. 
> It may appear that I am advocating a "shotgun technique", but that 
is really 
> not the case. Please remember that I have less than a week of 
ownership and 
> at this time I am trying to put together a plan of action to assure 
that the 
> right areas are tackled in a logical sequence, i.e., the sequence 
you 
> recommend. IF I find something wrong I want to correct it with an 
improved 
> component, if one is available. (Refer to John Harvey's comments 
about the 
> relays in the same post.)
> 
> To John Harvey:
> My alternator is marked Valeo 3939830, 98R2938T, 14V, 90 A.  It 
looks a bit 
> dinky for a 90 Amp alternator if it is of the original vintage! If 
in fact 
> this alternator is too weak for the application it would seem 
logical to 
> replace it.
> Your comments make sense and although any modifications from 
original would 
> be detrimental from a concourse standpoint I think I am more 
interested in 
> making the car more reliable as I move along.
> 
> Thanks again to all, your help is greatly appreciated!
> 
> BTW: Someone posted a switch fix using a spring from a Bic pen. My 
engine 
> compartment switch didn't work, the spring was missing and the Bic 
spring did 
> the job! Small item but big help. Thanks!
>  
> Roger
> 
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 20
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:30:42 -0500
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Protecting your D look!!!

I think that if anyone were serious about stealing a Delorean, they would
just quietly back up with a roll-back trailer and tow the thing away with a
cover over it.  I've had the thought go through my mind about installing a
'Lever-Lock' (tm).  Once installed, you press the brakes all the way down
and then flip this lever.  It stops the brake fluid from coming back into
the master cylinder until the lever is flipped back again.  I installed one
on an old motor home years ago because the parking brake on it was of poor
design.  One of these systems installed on the Delorean would lock all 4
wheels.  I don't think anyone would tow one very far with that installed.

Does anyone recommend Lo-jack?

Walt    Tampa, FL




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 21
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 03:44:23 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <dherv10_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: De Lorean Listining stick

Walt and Group
I have talked about listening to what the car is saying thru sounds. 
I don't know how many know about the Listening Stick. Cut a broom 
handle to a 3' length and on the flat end put a 2" square of thin 
plywood and attach with one nail in the middle. You now have a 
listening stick. With the car running, put the end with the flat 
plywood to your ear and the other end to what you want to hear.
You will be amazed at what you will hear. With this you can hear the 
FQ valve change frequency w/o having to see it. You can hear bearings 
make noise, relays clicking on and off, water pump bearings and so 
on. 
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com 





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 22
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:46:47 EST
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Protecting your D look!!!

Kevin and List, 

        I have countless nights awake watching all those different kinds of 
infomercials, and I have seen the one for the Unbeatable Auto-Lock that you 
are talking about.  They say that it works great with the clutch pedal.  If 
you can't depress the clutch pedal how are u going to be able to drive the 
car properly?  Also the way it works on automatic cars, is that it doesn't 
depend on the starter-tranny interlock switch, the way it works is that you 
can't shift into any gears without depressing the brake pedal (the way they 
proved that was they had a car running when they tried to get a couple 
"ex-thiefs" to steal it).  I think its a pretty good product.  The acting was 
a little cheesy (when they had two "ex-car thiefs" try to rob that car with 
the Unbeatable Auto-Lock on it) but over all looks like a good product.  If I 
had my car together where it would need to be protected, I would probably buy 
it.  

Later,
Nick
1852
Http://members.aol.com/njp548



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________