From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2000 2:17 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 298

1. Re: Auto. Trans Problem
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. Re: Frequency valve
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. Re: VEGAS
From: WtrResQ_at_dml_AOL.com

4. Re: Inertia Switch inner workings
From: "Moritz Holenstein" <terminator2000_at_dml_bluewin.ch>

5. Re: VEGAS
From: "ian" <ian_at_dml_netvigator.com>

6. Re: Protecting your D look!!!
From: "Jim Reeve" <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>

7. Re: Re: Protecting your D look!!!
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

8. RE: Re: Protecting your D look!!!
From: "Bryn Potter (NEC)" <v-brynp_at_dml_microsoft.com>

9. Re: Re: Auto. Trans Problem
From: dmcdelorean2_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: Re: Protecting your D look!!!
From: "Sacha Prins" <sprins_at_dml_businessnet.net>

11. Auto Trans pressure gauge (was Re: Auto. Trans Problem)
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

12. Dwell meter (was Frequency valve)
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

13. Online Chat with Stephen Wynne - TONIGHT!
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

14. RE: Re: Protecting your D look!!!
From: "David B. Hill" <dhill_at_dml_hillresearch.com>

15. Re: Re: Protecting your D look!!!
From: Dee Moats <Dee-Moats_at_dml_excite.com>

16. Delorean Biography
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>

17. Autolock Safe? (was Re: Protecting your D look!!!)
From: "Robert Rooney" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

18. Re: Protecting your D look!!!
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

19. Re: De Lorean Listining stick
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

20. Re: Autolock Safe? (was Re: Protecting your D look!!!)
From: Mpb74_at_dml_aol.com

21. 2001 DOA?
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 04:24:30 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Auto. Trans Problem

You should refer to the primary reference; The Delorean Workshop
Manual. pn 113096 Section: transmission: subsection automatic page
G:05:03 Transmission fluid pressure adjustment. Without going into
complete detail there is no chart, the pressure at 2,500 rpm's is to
be 8 bar plus-minus .2 (113 plus-minus 3psi)at 80 degeees C (176F)
in drive with wheels turning.If you do not know how to do this
adjustment get someone with a lift and pressure guage. This is an
important setting especially on a newly rebuilt trans. If you cannot
get to 8 bar then you have a problem inside if you are doing the
adjustment correctly and your gauge is accurate. Running with low
pressure will allow the brakes and clutch packs to slip and burn up.
If there is too much internal leakage the fluid pump won't keep up
hence low pressure. You could have damaged a seal in reassembly.

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 04:45:53 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Frequency valve

You can hear the freq valve standing next to the car with the engine
cover closed as long as you don't have a horrible exhaust leak. If it
is buzzing like an angry cricket the circuit is probably working but
for a further check use a dwell meter at the diagnostic plug. Look up
in the workshop manual M:03:01 pin 3 +  and pin 2 ground. The value is
not as important as that the dwell should vary about 10 degrees
indicating that it is hunting about the "stochiometric mixture" or the
optimum fuel air ratio. You can also test the micro switch at full
throttle it should increase the dwell and be steady. Your exact dwell
reading will vary due to the mixture adjustment setting of your car.
Refer to D:04:15. You do not need a scope to do ordinary
toubleshooting but it does impress the customers!

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 03:37:05 EST
From: WtrResQ_at_dml_AOL.com
Subject: Re: VEGAS

Many thanks to the organizers and workers/volunteers for making the Vegas
ralley a great trip.  My wife and i had a very nice time.

james cooper

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:28:09 -0000
From: "Moritz Holenstein" <terminator2000_at_dml_bluewin.ch>
Subject: Re: Inertia Switch inner workings

---Jan van de Wouw <Jan_at_dml_v...> wrote:
> I remember seeing an illustration of the inner workings of the
InertiaSwitch,
> but I can't find this picture anymore (it's late...) Maybe someone
else
> knows where to find this illustration?
>
> JAN van de Wouw

An systematic illustration of the Inertia Switch can be found at
http://www.geocities.com/at88mph_1999/ in the Tech Tips section (look
at page A-8) or at
http://mypage.bluewin.ch/terminator2000/DeLorean/DeLorean.htm by
downloading the DeLoreanMotorCenterHandbook.doc.

Moritz

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 00:32:56 +0800
From: "ian" <ian_at_dml_netvigator.com>

Hey Robert,

A 100% turnout of DMC owners from Hong Kong will be at your big party in
Belfast ... wouldn't miss that one for "all the tea in China!"

Cheers,                IAN (Hong Kong)
*****************************

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:55:02 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>
Subject: Re: Protecting your D look!!!

I dont see why you simply install a cut-off switch for the fuel pump
and hide it in a spot that only you would know?  That way you cannot
scuff up the interior, or work with what sounds like a costly or
unsightly pedal lock.  Just a thought.

Jim Reeve
'81 DeLorean-6960
AIM - Ultra2169

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:00:32 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Protecting your D look!!!

All this talk about anti-theft devices is daunting. There are several ways
to prevent your DeLorean from being stolen at a cost of couple of dollars to
FREE.

The free solution that requires no modification is to simply lift the reset
switch (plunger) at the inertia switch when you leave your car. If you want
to spend a couple of bucks you could simply install a toggle switch across
either the start inhibit relay or the fuel pump.

"We're here to help you"

Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:53:37 -0800
From: "Bryn Potter (NEC)" <v-brynp_at_dml_microsoft.com>

Hello all,

I have had three cars stolen in the last 10 years. Corvette LT1, Porsche 928
and of all things a Toyota long bed.
Now I install an alarm in all my cars I do not use the little red blinking
light or the shock sensor. I leave my doors unlocked to hopefully save a
window or a convertible top. In my Delorean I installed a Toggle switch and
an bosh relay in line on fuse I believe #7 (fuel pump and something else) I
attached the relay harness to the existing relay block behind the passengers
seat. The toggle switch I used is a flush mount headlamp dimmer switch
mounted on the floor of the drivers side in the same place my older cars
have their dimmer switch's located. The switch is out of the way to avoid
accidental shutoff yet convenient to use. I do not like the idea of playing
with the inertia switch as mentioned previously on this thread, it was not
designed for the constant use (just my opinion).

Thanks
~Bryn

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:18:17 EST
From: dmcdelorean2_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Auto. Trans Problem

I think I've found the problem. My trannys doesn't have a plate that is
SUPPOSED to go in front of the oil pan. I guess that has been the problem the
whole time because the person who had it before me said he just got the
tranny redone. And I have only had it 2 months, and driving it about 1 week.
How much do one of these go for? I guess I'll email DMC Houston.

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:23:39 +0100 (CET)
From: "Sacha Prins" <sprins_at_dml_businessnet.net>

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:00:32 -0500, DMC Joe wrote:

> [...]
>
> The free solution that requires no modification is to simply lift the reset
> switch (plunger) at the inertia switch when you leave your car.

That's what I always do. I thought that switch was installed by a previous
owner as an anti theft device. But as I understand now is standard in every
DeLorean?

Sacha

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:44:15 -0500
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Auto Trans pressure gauge (was Re: Auto. Trans Problem)

Can someone say where to buy a suitable pressure gauge for the transmission?
I'm sure that several configurations can be built from scratch, but does
NAPA or some other place sell something that is meant for this job?  Knowing
a NAPA part # would be great.

Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:46:42 -0500
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Dwell meter (was Frequency valve)

Same as my previous message, can anyone say where to buy a good dwell meter?
Is there a NAPA part # for a good one?

Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:00:50 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Online Chat with Stephen Wynne - TONIGHT!

The online Q&A with Stephen Wynne, owner of De Lorean Motor
Company (Houston) is TONIGHT AT 7PM Central Time.. These sessions
give you the chance to talk and ask questions with one of the top technical
experts in the DeLorean community.

Date: WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2000
Time: 7pm Central Time
Location: http://www.egroups.com/chat/usadmc

PLEASE NOTE! In order to have access to the chat room, you must be a
subscriber to the DE LOREAN MOTOR COMPANY NEWSLETTER - you can
subscribe using this link:

http://www.egroups.com/subscribe/usadmc?referer=1

Also, the latest version of Netscape Navigator or Internet Explorer are
highly recommended!

See you there!

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:01:04 -0600
From: "David B. Hill" <dhill_at_dml_hillresearch.com>

The new Die-Hard Security battery is yet another option. The battery
includes a wireless remote control to arm and disarm your battery. It is the
modern type that evades code-snatchers. Furthermore, it is great for a
Delorean that has undiscovered power leaks/drains because, whether armed or
unarmed, the battery cuts off before slowly discharging so that you cannot
get the car started. Expensive at ~$160, but probably a viable option for
many.
David Hill

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:04:52 -0800 (PST)
From: Dee Moats <Dee-Moats_at_dml_excite.com>

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:00:32 -0500, dmcjoe wrote:

  All this talk about anti-theft devices is daunting. There are several ways
to prevent your DeLorean from being stolen at a cost of couple of dollars to
FREE.

I believe the earlier survey indicated the number of stolen DeLoreans was
small to none.  But my guess is that there is an equal chance of being
carjacked as being stolen.

Dee-Moats_at_dml_excite.com
vin # 004434

Tired of slow Internet? Get _at_dml_Home Broadband Internet
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:28:36 -0000
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Delorean Biography

Recently some group members were looking for a good condition copy of
DELOREAN.  Below is a link where you can find the copy for around $2
in great condition.  They have a couple of them.

http://www.half.com/products/books/detail.cfm?item=1259222

Erik Geerdink

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:15:05 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Autolock Safe? (was Re: Protecting your D look!!!)

   The auto lock probably would not work on any DeLorean. On manual
transmissions it may not keep thieves from shifting the car into any
gear. But they could still do some serious damage to the car. If the
car is in gear and the engine is cranked, the car could still "jump"
forward or backwards. If another car or a wall is in the way, the car
could hit it. It may also be possible to shift gears while the engine
is off and drive the car away in 1st gear. A litte harder then an
A/T, but not impossible...

   On automatic transmissions, it would lock the brake pedal. A theif
could shift into N to start the car, and then use R, N, & D
accoringly. To brake all he/she would need to do is shift into N and
pull the parking brake.

   But don't think that this is because the DeLorean is an outdated
vehicle. The same trick could be performed on any brand new car off
the show room floor. All you would have to do is jump the wires on
the brake light swith on the brake pedal (this would enable the extra
relay to the starter). Shift the car into N, shove a screwdriver into
the ignition, VIOLA! You've just stolen a car with the autolock in
place! I'm not listing this info as a "how-to" for anyone, I'm just
trying to point out that if someone wants your car bad enough they
will get it if you're not there.

p.s. If someone owns an Autolock, or knows someone who does, I'd love
to see a copy of the fine print for that $1,000 guarantee that comes
with the auto lock!

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 00:10:38 -0000
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

All this talk about protecting your D from a thief comes down to
this: ANYTHING you put on your car will only stop or delay an average
thief/joy rider. If a professional were to do it, then they know all
the tricks of bypassing/removing every solution everyone has posted
here in a matter of seconds. How do I know? Anyway...the Lo-Jack
(although not 100%) is very good if you notice your car gone within
an hour of it being stolen...after that the "Pro" has already found
it and strapped it to a stray dog or something. The Brake lock
someone else mentioned is also very good, but someone who has access
to a tow truck can easily strap on dolly wheels under the car to take
it.

All this other talk about "Clubs and lock on devices" just simply
don't work..they are very easily removed...yes easily even by an
inexperienced joy rider. I don't care if they clame the thing is made
from the same steel as an Big Rig Earth Mover front Plow (I actually
saw an antitheft unit advertise it like that)...it can still be
easily removed within minutes. Like I said all the talk about Anti
Teft deterents are great for detering joy riders and the average
crack head from taking your car, but not from someone who knows what
they are doing and has the proper "tools".

It is very rare that a Delroean will get stolen anyway since it's not
easy to blend in. It's a car that easily remembered by anyone (even
kids in a neighboring car) going down an interstate, a highway, back
road, etc..It would have to be flat beded and covered as one list
member mentioned...but I don't see the Delorean being on the top of
any thiefs list with all of the Audi's, Toyota's and Nissan's, etc..
out there...so not to worry and lets get back into some Tech/advice
talk here...:)
And no I am not a crook..  V  V

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 00:18:58 -0000
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>
Subject: Re: De Lorean Listining stick

Another option to that is buying a mechanics stethoscope...run you
anywhere from $5.00 and up. At least you can watch the engine and
where you are putting the other end of it since with the stick you
have to have your head looking away (so you can have your ear against
the wood) which in my opinion is not to safe. If you get to close to
any moving parts with the broom stick while you are listening then
you will have a big problem. It's a very good idea though, not
knocking it (no pun intended).

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 19:28:43 EST
From: Mpb74_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Autolock Safe? (was Re: Protecting your D look!!!)

I don't have my D yet, but I can tell you that for an experienced driver, the
clutch in unneccesary. Most vehicles can be shifted up and down without the
clutch. All one has to do is time the engine right.

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 01:36:44 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: 2001 DOA?

Did anyone who went to the DOA in Vegas happen to catch where/when
next year's show is?