From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Saturday, April 29, 2000 2:17 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 30

1. Delorean Club Event
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

2. De Lorean Motor Club of America, Inc.
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

3. Quantity of gas flaps!!
From: amazinrick_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: East Coast D show?
From: saintern <saintern_at_dml_peri.com>

5. Stainless Heat Shield
From: "Sean Howley" <tsuyoi_at_dml_mindspring.com>

6. RE: East Coast D show?
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

7. Re: ch.5 parade please help me!!!!
From: Julie B Johnson <djjohnson6_at_dml_juno.com>

8. Re: East Coast D show?
From: delorean31_at_dml_aol.com

9. RE: A fair price?
From: "Lee Burrows" <LeeB_at_dml_KeyStrategies.com>

10. DeLorean Wanted for Muesum Exhibition
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

11. RE. Vinyl paints
From: "Vin#5462" <dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com>

12. Parking Brake Light
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

13. Gauges / Sending Units, electrical information....
From: "Dave Price" <davep_at_dml_stprint.com>

14. DeLorean Midwest Connection Tech Day
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

15. (unknown)
From: delor1_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: Parking Brake Light
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

17. Good news! NEW De Lorean NOSE BRAS Available!!
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

18. Delorean spotted in strange place...
From: heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net

19. Re: DeLorean Wanted for Muesum Exhibition
From: Daniel McGauley <hawkeye_at_dml_creativeworlds.com>

20. Re: (sorry, wrong) Re: door adjustment
From: David Sontos <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>

21. DMC Grill Emblem on EBAY!?
From: "Dave Price" <davep_at_dml_stprint.com>

22. Re: Delorean Club Event
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

23. Re: (sorry, wrong) Re: door adjustment
From: "Dan RC30" <Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 00:10:44 EDT
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Delorean Club Event

   The Mid-State Delorean Club has scheduled an upcoming event  " A Day with
Dr. Delorean " aka... Don Steger of the Delorean Motor Center.  Don is going
to spend a day with us in a Technical Seminar type of event in which he will
offer his knowledge and expertise in all things Delorean.
   This event will be held in the metro St Louis area and is scheduled for
Sunday, May 21st. This is 4 weeks before Ken's BIG Cleveland event and it
offers the perfect opportunity for Delorean owners to make sure their cars
are ready for the drive and show in Cleveland. Our event is being offered
FREE to anyone interested in attending. For additional information on times,
exact location, hotels and other misc items, check out the club web site at
- www.midstatedmc.com - in the events section.
   We're looking forward to spending a fun and informative day with Don at
this event, and offer others the opportunity to join us.

    Marty Maier
    Mid-State Delorean Club

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 02:13:21 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: De Lorean Motor Club of America, Inc.

Hi List- I gather the DMCA is extinct.  I have an old catalog listing some
items they used to sell.  Anybody on the list from the old DMCA?  Who were
the leaders?  I'd like to get in touch with whoever orchestrated some of
those special items like the nose bra and the stainless steel labels.  I'd be
interested to know if they could be resurrected.  Please e-mail me privately.
 Thanks!

-Wayne
"Living the dream!"

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 15:56:02 EDT
From: amazinrick_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Quantity of gas flaps!!

Hey list.
    I have a little dispute here with the paternal D owner.  Were there more
81's WITH or WITHOUT gas flaps?   (I'm sure I know... but I have to verify!)
Thanks a lot!  :)
            ~Rick E.

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 12:27:32 -0400
From: saintern <saintern_at_dml_peri.com>
Subject: Re: East Coast D show?

There is going to be a car show in Sayville NY this sunday.....(yes, the same
town where Pj Gradys is located) ..its sponsered by their fire department.....I
will hopefully be there along with my car .....any other owners on Long Island
interested in going?

-Donald Kazmark

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 18:27:33 -0400
From: "Sean Howley" <tsuyoi_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: Stainless Heat Shield

I have finally uploaded the heat shield pictures that some of you requested.  The first two pictures are a bit dark, so it might be a little difficult to see what is going on, but if you know where to look, you will see it.  The last two pictures show what is going on a little better.  All of the files are pretty big (I made a mistake on resolution) and consequently, it will take a while to see each one.  I will be at the D2K show, so if any of you want to see it at that time, no problem.

Also, it looks like I will be needing someone to ride shotgun with me if anyone is interested.

Sean Howley
VIN#2345

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:30:06 -0400
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

In September there will be a big show in Virginia.  We have had as many as
24 DeLoreans there and this year it is the featured car.  I will send an
update next week with all of the information.

Jack

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 16:30:23 +0000
From: Julie B Johnson <djjohnson6_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: ch.5 parade please help me!!!!

Hi,  We have a Delorean and are in Ventura...one hour away.  Could be we
could help you out if the date doesn't conflict.  When do you need them?
I am also in the Delorean owners association-have you contacted their
website?  write back  with info, Julie

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 22:28:42 EDT
From: delorean31_at_dml_aol.com

<< Hi,

 I seem to notice there are never any Delorean shows near NY, NJ, or PA. Does
 anyone have a listing or know of a place with that shows when any would be
 in the area?

 Thanks,

 Alex. >>

Alex I try to maintain information on shows in just the area you mention.
Check out my site address below for a listing of shows in that area where
DeLoreans are welcome.  Just last weekend a few of us attended the Spring
Englishtown Show here in NJ.  I was even fortunate enough to receive a
Peoples Choice Award.  Check out the site below for more information on
upcoming events.  Also DeLorean Mid Atlantic organizes events and get
togethers as well in your area.  If you are a DeLorean Owner or enthusiast
you are more than welcome to join our club.

http://hometown.aol.com/DeLorean31/dma.html

Gary Gore
Activities Director
DeLorean Mid Atlantic

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 08:56:15 -0400
From: "Lee Burrows" <LeeB_at_dml_KeyStrategies.com>
Subject: RE: A fair price?

Rick-

It was a couple of years ago that I saw the "empty D".  I think it was in
central Jersey, maybe Edison or Woodbridge?  I mentioned it because I
thought it would be cheaper to buy one with out the motor and install one I
trust.

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 08:57:26 -0500
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: DeLorean Wanted for Muesum Exhibition

I am posting this for a Museum Director who contacted us directly through
the Midwest Connection Club. Here's an opportunity to have your car
displayed as part of a museum exhibit for a couple of months.

I am in search of a DeLorean car [to borrow] for a car exhibition I am
organizing.  I found you through the DeLorean website . . . we are located
in southern Illinois.

The title of the exhibition is, "The Automobile: A Century of Design."  We
are selecting a car from every decade of the 20th century and will place
them in our Main Gallery. The show is to open June 23, 2000 and will close
on August 26, 2000. For the decade of the 80s, we would like to display a
DeLorean.

For a bit of info on us, The Mitchell Museum at Cedarhurst is located in Mt.
Vernon, Illinois.  We are a fine arts museum with a 90-acre sculpture park.
You can visit our website at www.cedarhurst.org . I have all of the cars
located [all from Illinois collectors] save for a 70s muscle car and an 80s
DeLorean [we have some outstanding cars for the show, including a 1902
Oldsmobile, a 1915 Model T, a 1921 Cadillac, a 1932 Dietrich Lincoln, a 1949
Cadillac Hunting Car, a 1955 Chevy, a 1963 Corvette and a 1990s SUV].

Please let me know of any DeLorean owners that I may contact regarding our
show.  Thank you!

Sincerely,
Bonnie Anne Speed,
Director of Visual Arts
Mitchell Museum at Cedarhurst
2400 Richview Road
Mt. Vernon, IL 62864
618 242-1236
fax 618 242-9530
email  bas1011_at_dml_midwest.net

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 19:53:14 +0100
From: "Vin#5462" <dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: RE. Vinyl paints

Hi

My DeLorean had some serious sun damage to the dash board prior to it coming
to England, I used 'Tuxan Leather Renovating Polish'. It is important that
it is renovating polish and not just polish or it wont dry properly. Make
sure you thoroughly clean the effected areas prior to applying the cream,
for a look at the results look at my dash before & after as well as the tin
the cream came in  www.btinternet.com/~dmc12 under the 'Pictures & Projects'
link and then 'Projects and Restoration Logs'

good luck!.

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 20:03:50 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Parking Brake Light

Does anyone have a schematic for the parking brake light? When we
picked up the car on Saturday, the light would go off when the
parking brake was removed, but now the light stays on all the time.
I've tried unplugging the wire from the switch, and even grounding it
directly, but no luck. The light will flicker though durring a hard
acceleration, so I'm thinking that the wire is grounded somewhere.
I've searched the workshop manual, but I can't find the schematic as
to just how the circuit works. Other than this, everything else I've
been able to find in the either the manuals, or the Technical
Library. Thanks in advance!

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 13:43:23 -0700
From: "Dave Price" <davep_at_dml_stprint.com>
Subject: Gauges / Sending Units, electrical information....

Hello oh mighty list!   I know there are some electricians out there.... I would die if you could answer some questions for me...

I need to know the outputs (or rather the inputs) for the various gauges on the DeLorean.  ie. what the oil Pressure sending unit actually sends to the gauge... I'll need to know the range of values for each of the sending units for the gagues (oil, fuel, temp, tach, volt?) ... Is this information published somewhere?  Probably not in a compiled form, I'm sure....

it would also be killer if someone could help me with a circuit for converting each one of these devices to a range that a BASIC Stamp module could read on it's IO pins (PWM, Resistance, 0-5VDC....) more info about the BASIC Stamp could be obtained at www.parallaxinc.com or http://www.radioshack.com/sw/swb/projects/bstampidx.htm

Thanks loads !!!!

- Dave

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 16:12:14 -0500
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: DeLorean Midwest Connection Tech Day

The DeLorean Midwest Connection club is hosting its spring Tech session on
May 20. This is a hands-on session featuring Don Steger of DeLorean Motor
Center. Don will be available to work on members' cars, and additional
facility space (2 lifts, frame rack, floor space) will be available for
do-it-yourself work.  It is open to club members only, since the club is
subsidizing the cost of the facility. The session will run all day Saturday,
and will be held in the Naperville area. Even if you don't need work done,
you'll learn a lot by watching and visiting.

For further information on the session contact Dave Swingle
dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com . For information on the club, contact Don Gowler
dongowler_at_dml_mediaone.net

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 12:59:39 -0000
From: delor1_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: (unknown)

hello all!

this is my first post for help.

i am having problems getting the d to start after driving for a hour +
when i stop for an hour or more it will turn over but will not start.
i have tried jumping the rpm relay to send power to the fuel pump but
that
did not help
when i leave the d for more than 8 hours, it will start  ? (really
rough
like it needs a tune up--just replaced the accumulator and had a tune
up 3
mo ago) i have checked the nuts on top of the fuel pump and they
appear
ok---any suggestions    thanks

delor1_at_dml_aol.com

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 18:05:56 -0500
From: "BRUCE BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Parking Brake Light

Check your brake master cyl for leaking. If it's low on fluid the light will
come on. Unfortunately, when they leak, the fluid runs down between the
frame and the fuel tank and puddles on the plate that's bolted to the frame
under the tank. In a short time it makes a horrible mess of the epoxy. Rob
Grady sells powder coated plates on an exchange bases. Hope this isn't your
problem but it certainly sounds like it is.

Bruce Benson

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 19:31:10 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Good news! NEW De Lorean NOSE BRAS Available!!

Dear list,
    I have managed to work out a deal with the original manufacturer of the
De Lorean nose bras.  Yeehaa!  The company does not run small new custom
orders, but we have a special arrangement because they still have the
original D patterns.  With these patterns plus my nose bra for reference, the
new ones will be faithfully reproduced, just like the originals in the 80's.
You don't have to lurk on E-Bay for months hoping to pay dearly for a nearly
twenty year old item!  I believe they may have been originally available from
the De Lorean Motor Club of America.  These are the full-size type, which do
not flap in the wind; the bra is held on in several places, so it does not
move anywhere.  Smooth on top, no "bug flaps." It does not, however,
interfere with radiator airflow.
    Why would you want a nose bra?  They protect the front of the car from
bugs and minor stone or debris damage.  Of course, usually the "coolness"
factor outweighs the bug protection.  :)  Another reason:  if you have a
faded, slightly damaged, or "eye-browed" fascia, the full-size nose bra can
easily cover that up except for the headlight wells.
    The front of the nose bra is embossed "De Lorean" in the matching font
and size of the writing on your back bumper.  It comes with a storage bag.  I
have a picture of the original on my D if you'd like to see it.  The cost is
$149.95 plus shipping.  I can take credit cards through my business... Visa,
Mastercard, American Express.  Please e-mail me or phone immediately at
1-800-833-3920 or deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com.  Ask for Wayne.  You're calling my
bakery!
    How many do we have available?  At this point five!  I'll take orders
until midnight of next Saturday, May 6th.  After that, we'll see how many
more are in demand for a second batch.  I want to get this order right out
because turnaround time will probably be a month- the manufacturer is really
busy, and our show season is coming up!

-Wayne
"Living the dream!"
VIN...11174

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 23:37:59 -0000
From: heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net
Subject: Delorean spotted in strange place...

Hello List,

  As you know (or maybe not) I'm in the market for a D, and am
waiting for the Ohio show to see what is available there - so
needless to say, I totally have Delorean-on-the-brain syndrome.
Well, on the phone sitting in my office today watching the
traffic go by, I was shocked to see a Delorean drive by -
the first one I've seen in "the wild" (not one I went to
see, that is).  It parked in the lot right next to my
office, and I ran out to find the owner, but they disappeared
quickly. Well, it was an 82/83 (flat hood w/emblem) from
Florida, grey, manual, in EXCELLENT condition.   I'm curious
if it was  anyone on this list.  The car was spotted in
Burlington, MA, at about 11AM.

Cheers,

-Hank

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 19:33:36 -0500
From: Daniel McGauley <hawkeye_at_dml_creativeworlds.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Wanted for Muesum Exhibition

does it have to be running? :)  Where is the museum?

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 20:37:11 -0400
From: David Sontos <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>
Subject: Re: (sorry, wrong) Re: door adjustment

Dan,

The point of putting the white grease on the pegs is to show the location of
where the latch is hitting the peg. You can use any type of grease but the white
shows up best. After you've adjusted the pegs to the correct location you can
then wipe the grease off.

As far as removing the pegs, I am relying on many years of experience of working
on different vehicles to know that you only have to remove one peg and lose the
nut behind it to really screw up your day. So I am NOT wrong on this point,
because there are many people reading this and not everyone has a perfect car
like yours.

Dave Sontos
VIN 02573

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 17:48:50 -0700
From: "Dave Price" <davep_at_dml_stprint.com>
Subject: DMC Grill Emblem on EBAY!?

Is it just me, or should the selling of automobile emblems be "strongly discouraged" ....  I saw a DMC emblem on ebay today and it got me thinking....  If someone who lives down the street from me sees that auction, and thinks that my emblem is worth $75, it would be real easy for them to swipe it....  I emailed the seller, not that it'll do any good... Does anyone else think this is wrong?

- Dave

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 21:15:40 EDT
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Delorean Club Event

You guys better be ready for my event (but don't overwork Don)
We have the same judges for the event as last time and they were rutheless.

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 16:17:42 HST
From: "Dan RC30" <Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

snip--->"As far as removing the pegs, I am relying on many years of
experience of working
on different vehicles to know that you only have to remove one peg and lose
the
nut behind it to really screw up your day. So I am NOT wrong on this point,
because there are many people reading this and not everyone has a perfect
car
like yours."<---snip

First of all, the piece holding in the peg isn't just a nut, I believe it's
a nut welded to a plate. The plate sits in a carrier, and there is no reason
for this plate to fall into anyone's pontoon. Maybe DMC Joe can give some
info on this. He has pleanty of experience.

The grease topic makes more sense now that you explained it more thoroughly.

By the way, who said my car is perfect? There was no need to get snippy here
David. Sometimes people make mistakes, and there is no reason to get
offended when someone questions your statements... hence the "no offense"
opener. This is a forum for discussion... not bickering.

---Dan Vin#5493