From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2000 2:12 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 48

From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

From: Ann & Ed Thompson <rapparivarat_at_dml_erols.com>

From: "chris" <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>

From: "Duke" <at88mph_at_dml_mobis.com>

From: "gwells" <gwells_at_dml_totalise.co.uk>

From: "Richard Petrie" <juffo7_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "J Rowe" <rowejj_at_dml_netusa1.net>

From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

From: bluevelvet420_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Mike Bell" <mbell1954_at_dml_home.com>

From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

13. POTM Updated
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 01:38:23 EDT
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Change in trailing arm design?

Hey List,

    I just realized something and I wanted to run it past the DML to see what
you all think.  I just took off the last of the rear suspension yesterday and
when I was looking at the trailing arms, I noticed that the little piece of
metal that is welded to the trailing arm that connects the flexible brake
line to the brake hose that then goes to the rear calipers is located in a
different place than the trailing arms that are in the 24 page catalog (the
catalog with vinyl cover and side view of car on both sides of catalog). The picture I am referring to in the catalog is the overhead view of
the complete De Lorean frame.  In the production De Loreans, that piece of
metal is welded to the inside of the trailing arm, but in that picture of the
overview its located on the top of the trailing arm.  I am wondering if it
was a design change, what was the reason for the change?

Later,
Nick
VIN# 1852
HTTP://members.aol.com/njp548

Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 07:43:55 -0400
From: Ann & Ed Thompson <rapparivarat_at_dml_erols.com>
Subject: Clear and Smoked Headlight Covers

Back in January there was an inquiry about headlight covers for the DeLorean.
About 15 years ago I got some literature regarding this product from Extang
Corporation in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  I recently decided to buy a set of these
covers and found that Extang had sold their headlight cover line to Lund
Industries in Anoka, Minnesota.  I contacted Lund and was told that they have
discontinued the headlight covers for the DeLorean but that they had 9 sets
of the smoked and 25 sets of the clear left.  They do not sell directly to
the consumer but you can get the closest dealer to you by calling 1-800-377-5863.
For me it was the local NAPA store.  Tell the dealer that you want to place a
special order to Lund Industries for part #36035 (clear) or #36235 (smoked),
until stock on hand is depleted.  My order arrived yesterday.  NAPA's price
was $40 for the kit.

These covers require no drilling to install.  They are held in place by velcro.
I might add that this product is unlawful for use on the road in most if not
all states but they really look good for show, particularly the smoked version.
Click on "pictures" at <http://www.delorean-owners.org/legend/index.html>.  The
Lund covers are installed on the DeLorean at the bottom right.  If you have
problems locating a dealer, contact Lund direct at 1-800-328-9005.

Regards,
Ed Thompson (#6419 since 1982)
Midlothian, VA

Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 15:23:48 +0100
From: "chris" <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re Vin 16327

Hi

Does anyone know Vin 16327 or have any info on it?

regards

NetZero - Defenders of the Free World

Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 11:14:19 -0500
From: "Duke" <at88mph_at_dml_mobis.com>
Subject: Item for sale

DeLorean Mixture control unit w/ throttle valve assy and fuel distributor

http://page.auctions.yahoo.com/auction/24881957

The auction ends today.  If you have any questions, feel free to email me from the Yahoo auction as my mail is infected with a virus right now.

Thanks in advance,

Duke

Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 18:13:01 +0100
From: "gwells" <gwells_at_dml_totalise.co.uk>
Subject: WELDING THE FRAME.

I  have to do some welding to the front suspension
crossmember and whilst I have removed the petrol tank, steering rack
etc, I know also that the battery and alternator should be disconnected,
but are there any other components in danger of damage which I should
disconnect or remove?? The lists help ,would be appreciated as I have to
start the job on Monday (Thats an English Monday)

Graham

Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 19:33:11 -0000
From: "Richard Petrie" <juffo7_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Delorean School

Greetings everyone!

I realize once you obtain your D, learning the mechanics of it all is
really a self study. However, does anyone know of a training program
or workshop anywhere that teaches the basics of self maintainence for
Deloreans?? I think this would be very beneficial but I'm not too
sure of the practicality aspect. Any input would be great!!

Kind Regards,
Richard Petrie

Vin #: tba!

Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 14:40:33 -0500
From: "J Rowe" <rowejj_at_dml_netusa1.net>
Subject: Engine Compartment Light

    To all,

        My engine compartment light hasn't worked since I've
owned the car so I'm finally getting around to trying to figure
out why it won't work. Can anyone help me make sense of the
wiring? There is a purple wire and a purple/white wire that goes
to the light. The switch has a purple/white wire and a black wire
on it. Somewhere between the light and swithch the purple wire
turns to black. Anyone know where, why,  or how?

        Also, against the firewall there is a black wire and a red wire
that goes into a white connector that is not connected to anything.
Is it supposed to be connected to something? I've looked around the
engine and don't see any other connecter that's not connected to any-
thing.  Any idea what this is for or where it goes?

             Thanks in advance for any info...................Jason

Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 18:52:24 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Engine Compartment Light

In a message dated 5/13/00 4:22:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rowejj_at_dml_netusa1.net writes:

<< against the firewall there is a black wire and a red wire
 that goes into a white connector that is not connected to anything.
 Is it supposed to be connected to something? >>

I have two loose ends on the firewall too.  There is supposed to be a switch
there, like there is in the trunk.  Some people had problems with the switch
not turning off when the engine cover is closed, running down the battery.
Then too, there were some reports of the light lens melting from overheating,
dripping on the hot muffler and igniting, leading to an engine fire.  I'm
guessing that concerns like this may have led to my switch being deliberately
removed.  Even though such incidents were no doubt rare.  Didn't realize it
until I bought a new, expensive bulb!  :(  I'd like to reconnect mine, but if
I do, I'll leave it unplugged except when I actually need to use it!

-Wayne
"Living the dream!"

Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 18:52:25 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: dmc-12 for sale

In a message dated 5/12/00 7:37:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, atrow007_at_dml_aol.com
writes:

<< I recently came across a delorean I really liked but needs new brakes and
the
 transmission is slipping a little.  Other than that its in real good shape.
 Is it really worth paying 13,000 for? >>

Sounds like maybe you should do more checking as to what needs to be done,
but for the record,  13 is what I paid for mine 3 months ago.  And 3 thousand
since.  Runs great every day, but I'm doing routine stuff  that never got
done because it was a garage queen.  Like replacing the brake lines.  Think
of it as elective and cosmetic surgery.  Could've done nothing but an oil
change, but with an 18 year old car, that's asking for trouble, isn't it?

-Wayne
"Living the dream!"

Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 21:17:15 EDT
From: bluevelvet420_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Clear Coating

What does everyone think of clear coating the delorean? i think it makes the
stainless steel look good and it wont stain then.  also how much does it
cost?  how long does it last? does it peel?

Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 01:20:45 -0000
From: "Mike Bell" <mbell1954_at_dml_home.com>
Subject: Coil

Can anyone tell me the color of the wire leading to terminal #15 on
the coil?  Thanks!

Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 21:53:43 EDT
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Car Show UPDATE

Well this show is getting big  <A HREF="http://deloreancarshow.com">deloreanca
rshow.com</A>
We have about 70 DeLoreans as of now and thats about 20 more than the same
period last time.

Well Iowa and Alabama joined us so we now have 25 states represented.

The Deadline for registration without the late Fee is Monday.  I still have
room in all events but the Friday night event is getting close.

There were 5 rooms left last time I checked.

I will be adding a few more T-shirts to the vault next week
One is a killer and I'm sure it will go fast
no two will be alike.
I am hoping for 20 -40 but they do take a while to do.
There will also be a few specialty T-shirts including (by request) a few
pocket T-S
These will be sold seperately.

Both the Friday and Saturday events are over 200 people so this will be a big
event.
We do have plenty of room.

I have one request and I need your help
If you have a fire extinguisher in your DeLorean and are planning on bringing
it please let me know
Fire regulations require 1 fire extinguisher per 8 cars so if you have one
please bring it.   Judges (other than concourse) will not take off for a fire
extinguisher in your car.

I need about 12 to meet fire code regulations
also let me know as you pull up for the show.

NOTE:  YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO TAPE THE GAS CAP FOR THE SHOW
            EITHER DO IT BEFORE OR I WILL HAVE ELECTRICAL TAPE FOR YOU
            I suggest black electrical tape since you can't even see it on
the car.

Thanks again and see you there

Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 21:47:47 -0500
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: POTM Updated

So I've been kind of busy. The DMCNews picture of the month and MyDMC
sections have been recently  (like 10 minutes ago) updated for May.

Rich Weissensel and Brian Metz - your turn!

There are also many new car ads with prices ranging from 8,500 to 23,000.