From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2000 2:04 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 57

From: "Scott Tester" <testersd_at_dml_helicon.net>

From: "Ross Milstein" <defiantint_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

From: "Jim Reeve --Ultra--" <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>

From: aabclafon_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Jay" <jason609_at_dml_concentric.net>

From: alexmiller1955_at_dml_aol.com

From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

From: "James Kirsch" <JimiLime_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "Empress Ballroom" <empressballroom_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: Richard Strecker <dmc1219_at_dml_one.net>

13. Re: Custom Wheels
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

14. Fan Problem !!
From: "F.S." <melvnhel_at_dml_earthlink.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 00:05:02 -0400
From: "Scott Tester" <testersd_at_dml_helicon.net>
Subject: Mad TV Skit

On tonights episode of Mad TV there was a skit mocking Love Connection. One of the men's occupation was being the owner of a DeLorean dealership...

Scott Tester

Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 04:29:07 -0000
From: "Ross Milstein" <defiantint_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Custom Wheels

I found a set of wheels that I think would look great, however the
smallest set they make is 15".  Does this mean I would need to get
two 16's and two 15's?  What kind of trouble am I looking at, and
more importantly, how do I overcome it?

Thanks all,

Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 06:34:11 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: update on wrecked DMC

If you truly do want the car, then nothing anyone says could stop
you, but that isn't always a bad thing. I spoke with the owner the
first time the car was placed on eBay, and it does sound like the car
just needs a strong amount of TLC. As always it's a good idea to
atleast see the car in person to inspect it before you decide about
purchasing it. But if your gut feeling (not the excitement of owning
a DeLorean) tells you that this is the car, then you need to go for
it! Just remember, the car will need steady attention, and lots of
pantience. And who knows, maybe DMC Houston can repair the door &
fender, you may not have to buy new ones. On a side note, if I didn't
have my current D, I would buy the car. Chances are you may have
stumbled onto a car w/a fearful owner. He may not know enough about
the car, parts availability, or he may not have the $ to repair it.
Now I don't want to sound like a vulture, but opprotunities such as
this can arise for you to take advantage of. Whatever your decision
is, it will be the right one. Good Luck!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, "Louie Golden" <louiegolden_at_dml_m...> wrote:
> I would like to thank everyone who responded to my inquiry about
the wrecked DeLorean on e-bay. I got over 10 e-mails!

Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 12:24:24 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: (unknown)

Aaron,

The window motor noise, with no window movement, indicates that window cable
drive is broken. This is a very common problem and is corrected by replacing
the  factory units, which, BTW, have a 90% failure rate, with the updated
heavy
duty replacements.

To eliminate your door lock problem, disconnect the power lead (red wire)
leading to the door lock module. The door lock problem is also common and is
corrected by replacing the original unit with the Lockzilla.

The fuel gauge pointing straight up indicates a defective fuel gauge sender,
this problem can be corrected by purchasing a Tankzilla.

"We're here to help you"
DMC Joe / De Lorean Services / <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>
.

Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 17:59:54 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve --Ultra--" <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, "Louie Golden" <louiegolden_at_dml_m...> wrote:
> He has all the facia and grill peices (not installed) and all it
would need is $3000 in parts (fender, door, wheel).

Well, a couple days ago, I did my own tally...

Wrecked car - $4500
Right Front Fender - $710 w/antenna hole  $910 w/o antenna hole
Door Panel - $1,870
1 lug nut - $3.33
Front wheel - $430(new) $125 (refurbished)
Windshield - $400
Upper Controll Arm - $120
Front fascia - $650
Dummy Grille - $350
New Yokohamas ~ $330
Grand total ~ $9,000-$10,000.

Now this was before you said he had all of the front fascia parts,
but
still, how closely did you look at that picture? That fascia is
really
bent up.  And the front grill has to be broken if it flew off of the
car upon impact, (the parts that hold it on anyway). And you should
also ask him about the rear of the car. On the picture of the rear,
did you notice the scuff marks on the bumper, or the dent in the
left-rear quarter panel above the glass? And whats that thing
sticking
out of the louvers? If I didn't know any better, I would swear that
it
was also hit in the back. I also put those Yokos on that list because
it has 27k miles and the tires looked original. I believe I am in a
similar situation that you are, looking for a good cheap DeLorean.  I
thought about this one for a long time, and decided no. But that is
just my opinion.

Jim Reeve
http://www.isd.net/jpatrick/
AIM-ultra2169

Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 14:37:17 EDT
From: aabclafon_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DMC pricing?

I paid $15,950 for my Delorean, it has 24,000 miles on it, and I caanot find
anything
wrong with it.  Body is in great shape, interior is in great shape. Drove it
372 miles
to bring it home, was stuck in 1 1/2 traffic jam.  Engine never though about
overheating.  Radio works, windshield washer works, windows work, A/C works.
Brakes are good, plugs are good.  Drives well so far.

Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 14:59:53 -0700
From: "Jay" <jason609_at_dml_concentric.net>
Subject: Re: leather die

Does anyone know of any good carpet dye and where to get it?

Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 17:30:36 EDT
From: alexmiller1955_at_dml_aol.com

Louie,
I saw the car on EBAY and thought about getting it. However, the damage is
too extensive. What you don't understand is that the door has been jarred--it
will never seal, or shut right. I would not get this car, if it was worth it,
the curent owner would fix it.

Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 18:39:40 EDT
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: NO 3rd or 4th fan speed

Hello,
    For some reason the heater fan will only work on the 1st and 2nd speeds.
I hear the relay click when I go to the 3rd speed but I get no fan movement.
I checked all the wiring down by the motor and it is correct.  what could be
the problem?  It worked a few months ago.  I am wondering if I disconnected
something when I took out the  whole interior.  Is there any other
explanation for this?  I switched the relay with a "no good" relay and it
still didnt work.

any ideas?
Thanks

David
dmc#4296-LOOKING FOR PASSENGER SIDE REAR FENDER

Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 01:07:20 -0000
From: "James Kirsch" <JimiLime_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: DMC Wheels

I Have a perfect SET of 4 wheels that I would like to sell to a DMC
owner rather than some middle man.   These are in excellent condition
and are located in Tulsa Oklahoma, shipping is not a problem.  They
have the orginal tires on them, two are fair, two are good.  Send
your best offer to "Jimilime AT aol.com".  When I feel I've got a good
offer they are SOLD or if I don't receive a fair offer by June 1st
the deal is over.  I will send a E-Picture to all that request it.
Or feel free to call me at 918-245-4088
James

Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 01:29:27 GMT
From: "Empress Ballroom" <empressballroom_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Custom Wheels

15" in the front and 16" in the rear- that's the measurements on the custom
wheels that I'm selling. I think the offset has to do with the weight
distribution. The only modification, which is reversible, is attatching the
speedometer cup to the inner part of the rotor wheel mount. I used silicone.

Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 23:08:35 -0400
From: Richard Strecker <dmc1219_at_dml_one.net>
Subject: Re: NO 3rd or 4th fan speed

David,
Inside the heating duct is the speed control resistor, probably is open
in the top two selections.  You can get to it from the passenger side
foot well.  It is held into the duct with 2 (?) screws and has several
wires connected to it.  If you look in the parts manual you will find it
in section 7.1.2 item 2, Resistors  P/N 101275.

Richard

Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 23:33:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Empress Ballroom wrote:

> 15" in the front and 16" in the rear- that's the measurements on the
> custom wheels that I'm selling. I think the offset has to do with the
> weight distribution. The only modification, which is reversible, is

Offset has to do with suspension geometry, which in turn is affected by
weight distribution.  But weight distribution doesn't affect offset
directly.

Offset controls where, along the width of the wheel, it attaches to the
hub.  The general idea with offset is that you make the left-right axis
(i.e. when the wheel is turned by the steering wheel) right over the
middle of the tire.  Otherwise, steering is affected (not necessarily
adversely!).  Usually a bigger offset will result in more steering
stability, at the cost of more steering effort, and a smaller offset
results in sharper "turn-in" at the cost of some twitchiness in the
steering.  Best thing with aftermarket wheels is to put the offset in
(proportionally) the same place as it is stock.  If your aftermarket
wheels are wider than the stock ones, that numerically the offset may be
different, but the steering axis may still be in the same place.

Offset doesn't matter as much on the rear as it does on the front (no
steering to affect), but you still want to make it as close as you can to
stock.  Sometimes you can change the offset a tad in order to squeeze a
little more tire under the fender.

Usually, the company that is making the wheels figures all this out.  If
you had the wheels made yourself... then the offset could be anything.

Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 21:02:21 -0800
From: "F.S." <melvnhel_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Fan Problem !!

Hello,

     While driving in the hot weather yesterday I noticed that my car was
starting to overheat so I pulled over and noticed that my fans were not
working correctly.  They turn on but immediately turn themselves off.
They must be on for at least 2-3 seconds before turning off and then they
turn back on and off, very random.  I could hear a clicking noise from
the fan and a clicking switch noise comming from the fuse box area, every
time the fans turn on.  It seems like they want to turn themselves on but
something is immediatley turning them off.  Solenoids Maybe??  Please if
someone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Felix