From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2000 2:01 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 66

From: "Sean Spurlock" <sean_dmc1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Sean Spurlock" <sean_dmc1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Mike Cutting" <mcutting_at_dml_nt.net>

From: "Vin#5462" <dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com>

From: "Professor Frink" <diashi_c_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Lynn Metz" <metzlynn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Jake" <jkampho_at_dml_siue.edu>

From: "Professor Frink" <diashi_c_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: bluevelvet420_at_dml_aol.com

From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>

From: billschaferabn_at_dml_aol.com

From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

From: "S Levy" <slevy007_at_dml_mindspring.com>

17. My D
From: "Robert Bell" <elduke_at_dml_att.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 22:39:27 CDT
From: "Sean Spurlock" <sean_dmc1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Painting a DeLorean

Group,

       I am curious about a few things. I am interested in perhaps painting
my DeLorean. I know this is a shock to you all, and I know the cost
consequences that comes with this. Is there a process that need be followed?
Anyone want to tell me how to make the stainless looks factory new or "make
it a bit less muttled and shiny". I might keep the stainless if I can do
this. Just wanted to hear your thoughts. Also, what color (if any) would you
folks suggest?

1. Dark Green (a'la Rob Grady)
2. Yellow...actually looks cool...see SSI
3. ?????? - suggestions

Thanks,

Sean

Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 22:41:40 CDT
From: "Sean Spurlock" <sean_dmc1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: DeLorean for sale

Group,

       As of right now, I have taken my D off the market. My parents have
graciously decided to pay for the repairs themselves. I didn't even know,
but it has been in the shop for a week! Well, I will keep you all posted for
when I sell it or what the future will bring. Sorry for the change, and
thanks for the interest.

Good luck hunting!!

Sean

Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 04:59:30 -0400
From: "Mike Cutting" <mcutting_at_dml_nt.net>
Subject: fixed my start problem???

greetings..

well, i am amazed but it happened!  the car starts even when hot!!

i bought my '82 last summer and since i first test drove it, the "hot start"
problem was there..  after about 10 minutes of normal driving, the car would
start but, one had to be very persistant..  sometimes taking 5 minutes or
more of cranking to get it to fire..  believe it or not, i have fixed my
problem for about $5.  the car was owned by a gentleman who drove it very
infrequently.  in fact, he told me that he put a maximum of 4 or 5000 miles
on the car since he owned it (10 years or so).  when i bought the car, he
replaced the brakes (pulsed badly), clutch, and had the gas tank
steam-cleaned.  but, he told me that he had always had a hard time starting
the car.  i had planned on buying a new accumulator this season but now it
seems that it's not necessary.  i dumped some fuel injector cleaner into a
full tank of gas and by the time that tank was done, my "hot start" problem
was gone!!  any thoughts??  anyone???

Mike Cutting
New Liskeard, Ontario
11434
http://www.nt.net/~mcutting

Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 10:25:50 +0100
From: "Vin#5462" <dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Parts Conversion List

Can anyone who knows of any alternative parts for the DeLorean please take a
few seconds to add them to my list _at_dml_ www.btinternet.com/~dmc12 by filling
out the form on the parts conversion page.

Thank you

James RG

Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 14:18:42 GMT
From: "Professor Frink" <diashi_c_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean for sale on ebay

Yet another D for sale....

An 81, thick black side stripe.

I've uploaded pics of this to the vault.

Why?

THe car has the fuel flap, bonnet pleats AND the 'DeLorean' badge.... and
the fascias seem to be a much lighter colour, more matching the stainless.
$12000... check it out!

Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 09:10:19 PDT
From: "Lynn Metz" <metzlynn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: cooling fans

Group:

Well, I now have one of the normal problems - my cooling fans.  It appears
that they stopped coming on yesterday.  (There were fine 2 days ago.)  I
just replaced the temp. sensor and I know it is OK.  The fans used to come
on before the temp guage hit half way.  Yesterday, it went over half way up.
  When I jumpered the switch, I could hear a clicking (assume this is the
relay trying to engage) but the fans won't come on.  Then, when I plug the
wires back onto the switch, I hear the clicking again.  So, the switch is
fine.  My car has the wired modification upgrade with 2 fuses (no fanzilla).
  The fuses are good.  Where should I start?  Can I check for voltage at the
fans themselves?  I don't think both fans went bad at the same time.  What
else could it be besides a wiring problem?  Need to get this fixed before
Cleveland.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian 16584

Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 12:15:24 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: fixed my start problem???

Yes; you probably had a clogged cold start injector.

"We're here to help you"; See you in Cleveland!

DMC Joe / De Lorean Services / <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>
.

Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 09:59:44 EDT
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Painting a DeLorean

Hello Sean,
    My DeLorean is mirror black  and is going to be repainted in a few
months.  There are instructions on painting stainless available from the
DeLorean shops.  The update manuals have these papers I beleive.  I have
pictures of my car I can send to you if you would like.  If you can, leave it
stainless.

Thank you

David

Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 10:10:18 -0500
From: "Jake" <jkampho_at_dml_siue.edu>

Sean,

How about having the stainless re-brushed?

Just a thought from a stainless supporter,

Jake

Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 18:51:09 GMT
From: "Professor Frink" <diashi_c_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: The 2000 DeLorean Posters

Hi group.

I'm going to start a new project in a few weeks: a revival of the 'Live The
Dream' campaign. The posters will be identical to the old ones, with the
same bodies of text and the same typefaces. I will be making these to A4 or
maybe A3 size. I will be using new pictures of the cars, though.

I'll be speaking to owners in the UK and hopefully organising some photo
shoots for the car withing the next month. I'd also like to use a RHD car.
Oh, no, I forgot. They don't exist, now, do they? (nod to Chris P and Rick
H) =).

If any UK owners know of any good locations suitable for shooting, please
let me know. I'm thinking that the summer nights will give some dramtic red
skies to reflect on the stainless.

A question to all the group: do you know what type face to use? I think one
is impact and the other Andale Mono, but I can't be sure. If anyone out
there knows, input will be GREATLY appreciated.

Mail me privatly at diashi_c_at_dml_hotmail.com if you are interested, want to use
your car in the shoot or has any information on the subject. I will try to
keep them as cheap as possible. The best way for me may to be send them to a
printing company. I will post some preview versions up on the vualt when I
can.

Matt,

'Dreaming the dream'

Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 15:33:22 EDT
From: bluevelvet420_at_dml_aol.com

I would be interested to know why you think it should be kept stainless if
you painted yours?
oh and for sean, Black or Red

Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 16:04:19 EDT
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: New tachometer, still nothing

Hello List,
    I just finished taking everything out of my interior.  Now I just have a
fiberglass underbody:)  heres the story.  when you turn the key the tach
would go up as far as it could into the red line.(when you take the key out
it rest at 6000 RPMS) I sent a post to the DML last month and most suggested
that it was broken.  I very kind member on the DML gave me a used tachometer
that was in nice shape.  I put it in today and received no movement from it
at all.  I then put in the old tach and it still went to the redline area
when the key was turned.  even if you move the needle backwards it will go
counter clockwise into the red line area.  Its like a magnet to the redline
area......
    what could be my problem?  The tach he gave me worked when he took it
out.  could  something else be the problem?  Joe, any suggestions?

    I see 3 wires on the right side of the gas peddle and they are clipped
onto a plastic piece.  I have one green one just hanging there. does anyone
know what this is for?

Please let me know

Thanks

David

Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 21:31:10 +0100
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>

The finish on your car is a personal thing BUT we have two members who
recently bought painted D's from the states and are desperately trying to
get the paint off..both have found damaged wings (fenders) underneath.

Chris DOC UK

Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 16:41:12 EDT
From: billschaferabn_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Locked Out

Group,

   Yesterday I went to take my "D" to get some minor dents repaired and for
the first time since I've owned the car I key locked both doors.  Much to my
surprise when 15 minutes later I went to get back in the car to start my trip
I could not open the drive side door. I tried everything I knew to unlock
that side but have not been able to reopen the drivers side door. Some of the
fixes I tried were:

   1. Used the key on the outside to unlock it.
   2. Reconnected my electric door locks and tried that.
   3. Entered through the passenger door and tried to unlock the door from
the       inside.

Has anybody had this happen to them before?

Bill
Vin#11596

Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 16:47:46 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: cooling fans

Lynn, There are several De Lorean shops and people around the U.S. that have
been working on these cars a lot longer than I have but here's my 2c worth.
Try the simple things first.
#1 #1 #1 #1, Can't say it enough :Bleed ( all ) the air out of the coolant
system. I do this b/4 I replace the thermostat.
#2. I know this is crazy, But I had put a new thermal switch in a car about a
month ago, and the fans came on and stayed on. While the car was hot and
running I taped on the pipe beside the new thermal switch and the fans went
off. That's been a month ago and they are alternating on and off fine. ( New
thermostat was just sticking. ) Go figure.
#3. Just because a relay clicks on and off doesn't mean it is making contact.
Age will corrode the contacts and you thing it's working but it's not. I have
40Amp relays if you need them. I would always keep a spare to test with if
nothing else.
#4. The one common thing is ( Ground ). Not in just De Loreans but in
everything.
The ground is thru the relays. I'm assuming a squirl or something else didn't
eat a ground wire b/4 it gets to the relay.
#5. If all above doesn't work. Try a new circut breaker 40Amp. I have them
also.
#6. I assume the conversion has been done for the wiring and no plastic has
meted into a critical point and no connectors have come loose and the
connections are tight. Loose connections will not carry the AMPS the fans
demand.
Good Luck
John vin11004

Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 07:27:33 -0400
From: "S Levy" <slevy007_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: how would i test a painted D...

How would i test a painted D if it ever had any body work( bondo, etc...)
done?

Later,
    Steve (Badda-Bing)
  "No I dont drink and drive, I might spill it."  -EVH 1992
slevy007_at_dml_mindspring.com
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Cabaret/8634
ICQ : http://www.icq.com
 # 13742518

=VH=

Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 19:26:41 -0500
From: "Robert Bell" <elduke_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: My D

I never thought I would ever be in love with a car (again). Last time was when I was in High School some thirtysomthing years ago when I had my first car, a 55 Belaire.

I had come to the conclusion some years ago that I had outgrown this emotion. Well since purchasing my 81 D almost a year ago, I have fell in love again. I spent the last 10 months reversing 17 years of neglect and this weekend I took her on a road trip to West Texas. Outside of losing the A/C for a short period due to a broken belt, the trip was GREAT! I love driving this car, I love the attention it gets at the service stations and even traveling down the interstate. Even my parents whom I went to visit on this trip were impressed with the car and they are in their mid seventy's. So that proves the fascination with this automobile is not a kid thing.

Anyway, I now feel much better about all the money I have spent bringing her back to life.

Bob

Vin# 05947