From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2000 8:46 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 71

1. Re: lowering
From: "Empress Ballroom" <empressballroom_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: Dimmer Switch, continued
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

3. Re: Silly antenna question...
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

4. Re: Silly antenna question...
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

5. RE: Angle Drive
From: "Rodger Vannatter" <rivwindance_at_dml_earthlink.net>

6. RE: Angle Drive
From: "Rodger Vannatter" <rivwindance_at_dml_earthlink.net>

7. Torsion Bar Dis-coloration
From: "Tom Watkins watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net" <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>

8. Results: DML Effect-> Impression of DeLoreans
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

9. a/c problem!
From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Horn replacement
From: heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net

11. Turbos
From: "Chris C" <petleech_at_dml_aol.com>

12. Re: signing with vin numbers
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Silly antenna question...
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>

14. Crawford Museum: More DeLorean stuff!
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

15. Re: Gathering a crowd -Was: Deloreans to help Charities
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

16. Re: Parts for sale maybe?
From: sand131_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Gathering a crowd -Was: Deloreans to help Charities
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

18. DMC and fog machine
From: lovdmc12_at_dml_aol.com

19. Parts conversion chart
From: "Vin#5462" <dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com>

20. Window Stuck
From: paraversal_at_dml_aol.com

21. RE: Horn replacement
From: "Michael C.Babb" <michael.babb_at_dml_mindspring.com>

22. Re: Pros of painting a DeLo..
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

23. Re: Silly antenna question...
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

24. Re: Parts for sale maybe?
From: "MDC The Great" <DMC5524_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. Re: DMC and fog machine
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 12:11:41 GMT
From: "Empress Ballroom" <empressballroom_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: lowering

Someone told me to cut 3.5 coils out of the rear springs and put them in the
front and put the stock front springs in the back. Apparently this works but
it is really bad for the suspension because you can't adjust the
rear..."camber" I think is the word he used. So it is not a great option.
Some of the other companies have adjustable rear suspension components that
you can buy, they were on display at the St.Louis 1999 convention. Also, PJ
Grady has shorter front springs that lower the front about 1.5 inches.

-empress

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 08:43:51 -0400
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>
Subject: Re: Dimmer Switch, continued

the 2K ohm scale is too high for a dimmer switch.  Most of the DC
dimmers used in cars are at most 25 Ohms.  As far as I can tell, the
part used in the DMC is about 4 Ohm Max.  Based on your measurements, I
would guess that you have a 25 Ohm part.  .030K Ohm is 30 Ohms..  The 5
Ohm error is to be expected on the scale you are using, especially if it
is a analog meter.

If the above guess is true, then your dimmer probably darkens the lights
more quickly than the stock dimmer, and may even have a larger portion
of the control range where the lights are off (or VERY dim), as compared
to the stock dimmer.   Maybe we can hook up in Cleveland and compare.

The "Taper" is used to describe what the curve would look like if you
were to graph resistance VS rotation position.  I would guess that all
of the dimmers are linear, although they dont have to be.

The shaft style you describe is common to Lucas parts, although I have
found that Lucas is the only company that uses this shaft style making
it impossible to use a non-lucas part and keep the look stock.

The information you supplied on the Jag is helpful.  I am going to see
if I can find that part locally to check it out.  It it is cheap enough,
I will take it apart and see how similar it is to the DMC part.

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 09:07:48 -0400
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>
Subject: Re: Silly antenna question...

There are a few versions of the radio antenna.

Early cars had the wire in the windshield antenna.  Because of the poor
performance, the windshield antenna was replaced with a fixed mast
antenna in the right front fender (I have seen some fender antennas that
will manually retract).  Finally, they went to the power antenna in the
left rear quarter.  I think the bulk of the cars are this way.

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 08:33:34 -0500
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

There were three basic types.

First was a windshield antenna similar to those that GM used in the 70's.
These had trouble with reception out in fringe areas, so they switched to a
front fender mounted mast and issued a service bulletin so that some of the
windshield antenna cars were converted to fender mount by the dealers.
Then, they switched to a power antenna in the rear on the left side that
comes up through the small air vent when activated. This is probably the
most popular one, and many cars of the other two types have been converted
to these over the years.

Since so many cars were converted from one type to another at dealers, by
owners, or even at the QACs, don't try to find a pattern in the timing on
when each of these changes occured. There was one. But so many cars are
different now that you'll never get an accurate pattern.

Mark N
VIN 6820

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 10:7:15 -0400
From: "Rodger Vannatter" <rivwindance_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: Angle Drive

Gary,
I have similar problems and this is what I found (this may or may not be
your problem).
1.  Bottom clamp on lower cable connecting to the angle drive was found to
work but was loose when holding the cable and turning it from the tip.  The
clamp had become loose and was not secure on maintaining only the interior
spinning.
2.  The dust seal in the outer wheel-side was distorted and not maintaining
the square design, therefore, not stablizing the inter core of the lower
unit.  Replaced and it worked find.
Hope your problem is this simple and that this helps.
Rodger vin 6962

> www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html

> moderator_at_dml_dmcnews.com

--- Rodger Vannatter
--- rivwindance_at_dml_earthlink.net
.

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 10:9:36 -0400
From: "Rodger Vannatter" <rivwindance_at_dml_earthlink.net>

Forgot to tell you that the one major thing to do so keep the angle drive
and all the components of the speedo working is to grease well all the
lines and the angle drive.  Check every time you change the oil.  Works for
me since I started doing it and have not have any further problems.
.

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 14:13:21 -0000
From: "Tom Watkins watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net" <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>
Subject: Torsion Bar Dis-coloration

My torsion bars on the doors (not gas struts) have a slight brown
discolorations on them. Since these are stainless (right?) it can't
be rust. They look messy and unclean when I when I have the doors open
at car shows and such.  QUESTION: would it be safe to mask off the
entire area and spray paint the torsion bars back to a silver color?
I don'twant to touch them with anything abrasive as that is a major
no-no but I thought that an non-invasive painting would be o.k.  The
doors work fine and Rob did a T-bar adjust last summer.  Does anyone
else have a similar funky color on their t-bars?  Painting them
shouldn't be a problem, eh?

Tom

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 10:15:30 -0400
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: Results: DML Effect-> Impression of DeLoreans

This survey asked for DML subscribers who DO NOT own DeLoreans to
describe how reading the DML has changed their impression of DeLoreans.
19 people participated, an excellent response considering the nature of
the question.

Reading the DML has convinced me        0
never to buy a DeLorean.

Reading the DML discourages me from     0
purchasing a DeLorean, but the jury
is still out.

The DML has frightened me, but I        3
still want a DeLorean.

The DML has has no influence on my      0
thinking at all.

Reading the DML has increased my        10
desire for a DeLorean.

Without the DML, there is no way        6
in the world that I would even
consider buying a DeLorean!

As a histogram:
(best viewed with a fixed width font)

                                  X      X
                                  X      X
                                  X      X
                     X            X      X
                     X            X      X
   __________________X____________X______X_
                     /            /      /
DML frightened me, but           /      /
I still want a DeLorean.        /      /
                               /      /
  DML increased my desire for a      /
  a DeLorean.                       /
                                   /
     Without the DML, there is no way
     in the world that I would even
     consider buying a DeLorean!

I for one will sleep well tonight knowing that some people out there
have gotten a favorable impression of DeLoreans from the DML.

Note that this is not a "scientific" survey, but the eGroups software
*does* prevent any subscriber from giving more than one response.  I
certainly feel more comfortable now that I have this poll as a basis for
my judgement instead of a guess.

Thank you to everyone who participated.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 7 years

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 07:52:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: a/c problem!

Ahhh yes.. summer time..   wait...OH SHIT NO A/C :)

well thats my thought of the day.. I finally got
around to checking into my why my a/c is not working
and i am at the end of my knowledge (which aint much)

Anyway here are my sympotoms and remedies i have
tried.. any input is MUCHO APPRECIATO.

I took it to a a/c place and they evacuated the system
and filled it up.. it took the charge and held it
steady at 30.

tried to fire it up.. the compressor would not kick on
at any a/c settings. I pulled the plugs on the low
pressure thingy under the passenger fender and jumped
it.. still no dice. Next i went back and jumped the
little red curly wire directly.  It worked then.  so
somewhere inbetween im not getting power.  Lets
discuss.  Mode switch?  bad wires.. ???

-Cliff Andrews
10854!
mechanic "who makes this car?"
me "delorean"
mechanic "yeah but who makes it?"
me " sigh..."

http://im.yahoo.com/

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 15:13:18 -0000
From: heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net
Subject: Horn replacement

Hello All,

   I'm looking for any info on horn replacement.  My horn sounds like
a dying animal, and does no good to warn crazy Boston drivers to stay
far away from my left front fender ;).    Do people recommend
replacing it(them) with stock horns, or are there any aftermarket
horns that are better and easy to install?

Thanks in advance.

-Hank #1619

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 15:45:19 -0000
From: "Chris C" <petleech_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Turbos

Does anyone know where I can get the single BAE turbo kit for my '83
DMC 16727 an at what cost?

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 12:02:30 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: signing with vin numbers

In a message dated 5/30/00 11:16:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
iznodmad_at_dml_aol.com writes:

<< The VIN and for that matter e-mail  addresses are a couple of the ways we
have to identify and connect with each
 other.  In addition, the history of the DeLorean is one of the many things
 that is appealing to me about the car.  I admire those that spend their time
 and work hard to gather information and statistics on the DeLorean
production
 numbers  >>

I usually include my vin because I noticed others do and it gives a handle on
what the D may be like.  As you get to know the car through the list, you
could figure from my vin (11174)  that it's an '82, which would be correct.
Most '82's, I gather, are 5 speed, gray interior.  Correct again.  You'd also
know I have a flat hood, no gas flap, rear antenna, emblem on hood, lighter
color wheels, clock in the radio and fat tailpipes.  How long did it take for
me to figure this out?  On the list since last August, owner since last Feb.
(Thanks to the list I had the courage to take the plunge!)  It's also a lot
more personal than a screen name like "fht456799_at_dml_aol.com" or whatever!

-Wayne
"Living the dream!"

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 18:57:24 +0100
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>

Greg,
this question has come up a few times..the origanal idea was a wire built in
to the front windshield (windscreen)..this did not work too well, so some
were fitted in the RHS front fender (wing)..these were the type that fully
pushed down and all the one's I have seen were in a black colour (color).
Then we have the electrically operated ones fitted on the rear LHS
fender..coming up out that "little vent thingy"..they are very neat..and
lastly, we must not forget my own private favourite..the roof one's fitted
to just 4 of the origanal right hand drives...check them out on our website
www.delorean.co.uk

Chris P DOC UK

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 14:44:20 -0400
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: Crawford Museum: More DeLorean stuff!

On a couple of occasions, DML subscribers have discussed the pipe dream
of opening a museum dedicated to DeLoreans.  I just found out that it
may already exist.  It is called the Crawford Museum in Cleveland.

Last night Patti and I got a visit from Christopher Grasso, a curator at
the Crawford.  We discussed our Friday events, including both the tour
and the banquet.  He is very impressed with the arrangements for both.

Then Mr. Grasso mentioned something I never knew before: when Jeff
Abrams acquired the VIN 500 car, he also acquired a large quantity of
items from the DeLorean factory which he believed would be of the
greatest historical significance.  He donated all of it to the Crawford,
where it has been stored (but never displayed) for all these years!

Among these items is a standing model of the DeLorean factory that is
5-6 feet across!  Mr. Grasso said he will arrange to have this model put
on display during our banquet.

Patti and I have an appointment to visit the Crawford's vault of
DeLorean history next week.  We will make note of all the items we see.
If we find things that would make a suitable display, we will ask the
Crawford to put them out during our banquet.

Now for the bad news:  The stainless Lincoln has gone into the shop for
repairs, and it may not be back in time for the banquet.  The other
three stainless cars should be there, though.  The Lincoln is a
permanent part of the Crawford collection and you can see it any other
time.  The stainless Thunderbird WILL be at the banquet.  The T-bird is
the really hard-to-see car, since it is privately owned and almost never
on public display.

At just $30 per person, the Crawford banquet is turning out to be a
*fantastic* bargain for DeLorean enthusiasts!

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 7 years

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 19:33:00 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Gathering a crowd -Was: Deloreans to help Charities

People admiring the car changes as quickly as the weather. Some days
I can't go anywhere without gathering a crowd, others I go totally
unoticed. The first night we picked our car up in Los Angeles, we got
a few onlookers, but everyone looked out of the corner of their eyes.
And as soon as they realized you noticed them, they quickly turned
away. But once we got back to Vegas, people were more open in
staring. As someone who grew up in L.A., it seems to me that people
in California are not as relaxed as they used to be. However while I
love my D, and it hasn't given me any major problems, driving it
around town hasn't exactly been a stroll through the park... I don't
know about other owners, but I run into alot of road rage while
driving. I've driven by Ferraris, and NSX's with no problem, but
whenever I run into either some middle aged guy in a Corvette, Viper,
or Camaro, or some young idiot in a Honda, Acura, or some other type
of "Rice Rocket", it never fails, they always want to cut me off!
Wheather I'm on the interstate, or going down the street they will
wait untill the last minute to swirve over in front of me, and I end
up slamming my brakes. All because none of them could stand to let a
DeLorean get ahead of them. I've been in an accident before, and I've
seen how people get hurt. So it's not worth risking the lives of
other bystanders on the road just so I can race some one, or
to "teach them a lesson." But these other drivers just don't let up!
Has anyone else here had any problems like this, or am I the only one?

> It's funny, I've never had that happen. I get the occasional looker
but all
> I can figure is that here in California everyone is so used to
seeing 'rare'
> cars that they hardly give them a second look. Even at the car show
this
> last weekend where we had 4 cars on display. We didn't get any more
of a
> crowd than the Jags or MG's.
>
> I wish people would stare at me more, at least when I'm driving.
People

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 15:39:48 EDT
From: sand131_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Parts for sale maybe?

I am interested in the Binnacle. I have an upholstery guy who I can have
recover it I think?
Thanks
 Ralph Sandstrom
1064 Brantwood Ave.
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 15:50:42 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 5/30/00 11:10:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kenm_at_dml_csus.edu
writes:

<<  I get the occasional looker but all  I can figure is that here in
California everyone is so used to seeing 'rare'  cars that they hardly give
them a second look. Even at the car show this  last weekend where we had 4
cars on display. We didn't get any more of a  crowd than the Jags or MG's.  >>

Maybe you're right.  Last year the De Lorean Mid Atlantic Fall Social was
held in conjunction with a car show and everyone,  myself included (in my
pre-owner days,)  seemed to be walking right past the wild looking Shelby
Mustangs etc to see the D's.  But then, around here you never see one on the
street.  Except for everyday, the last 3 months in my town. ;)

-Wayne

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 16:36:49 EDT
From: lovdmc12_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DMC and fog machine

I have been asked to allow my DMC to be used as the centerpiece at a
convention.  The theme is Back to the Future, so they really want a DeLorean.
 Anyway, the contact man called me today and asked if they could use a fog
machine near the car.  I told him I'd have to get back to him on that one.
He says it's the kind that uses chemicals and not dry ice to make the fog.
They want the doors to be open all evening.  My question to the group is
this: do I let them use the fog machine or do I tell them no way?  Does
anyone know if these kinds of fog machines produce anything that might be
harmful to the DeLorean's interior or exterior?  Thanks for the help.

Brian

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 19:55:05 +0100
From: "Vin#5462" <dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Parts conversion chart

Thanks for the response to my request for people to fill in the parts
conversion form on my web page, if any other people know of transferable
parts for the DeLorean from other more common cars please take a few seconds
to fill in the form on my web page under 'parts conversion'
www.btinternet.com/~dmc12

regards

James

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 15:59:11 EDT
From: paraversal_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Window Stuck

I have the window blues.

My passenger side window is jammed in its position about halfway up and
halfway down. I realize that these windows have about a 90% failure rate and
I plan to replace the window systems this summer at DMC when I move to
Houston. But in the meantime I have a window that is stuck halfway down and
anything (or anybody) can get into my D.

I just need to know a procedure to get the wondow up...not a permenant fix.

Any ideas?

Justin
DeLorean Michigan

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 19:26:31 -0600
From: "Michael C.Babb" <michael.babb_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Horn replacement

Shell out the money and get replacement horns from one of the DMC suppliers.
I replaced my horns with originals a few months ago, and have been very
pleased (didn't realize that the DeLorean horns were actually supposed to
sound like real horns).  No more clown car horns for my car!

Michael

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 18:52:30 EDT
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Pros of painting a DeLo..

In a message dated 5/31/00 7:29:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
diashi_c_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:

<< If I remember right there are a few panels lying around with DMC in
houston
 or texas now with see-through 'tinted' paint on them.

Matt,

   I think you are talking about the fender that has the colored tape on it.
I remember seeing a post from James Espey explaining that a while ago.

Later,
Nick
VIN#1852

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 20:06:14 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

There are 4 types of antennas in 3 possible locations:

1. Windshield antenna that's imbedded into the glass.
2. Fixed mast mounted in the right fender.
3. Manualy retractable mounted in the right fender.
4. Motorized automatic in the left quarter panel grate.

The antenna types are listed in their "evolution". The fender mount
was used to replace the windshield due to poor reception. From there
on out all replacements were for cosmetic reasons. On a side note,
I've never heard of a wire being run under the fender, but I've seen
some strange locations. I picked up a spare louver from the junk yard
and discovered that it was drilled to mount an antenna into it!

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 22:34:14 GMT
From: "MDC The Great" <DMC5524_at_dml_hotmail.com>

>From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>
>Hood - I have a late 82 hood.. totally flat no
>grooves, no flap.  the hood is in excellent conditon,
>no dents.  There is a minor dime size imperfection
>that can be seen at some angles that i can only assume
>came from the factory. Its not a ding or stratch.
>there is VERY minor x-pattern in the hood which again
>can only been seen at certain angles or in the right
>temperature... otherwise its not there.
>If intrested drop me a direct email.. thought i would
>mention it here before ebay or the likes.
>
>Cliff Andrews
>#10854
>Centreville, VA

How much would you be asking for the hood?

Dave
DMC VIN 5524

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 21:29:25 -0400
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: Re: DMC and fog machine

Brian,
        Chemical fog machines are breathable, although there is a distinct
aroma.  I have a Porsche 944 and was in the same situation as you last year
at a show.  Other than a faint residual scent on my seats (sheepskin
covers), there was no residue on either the exterior or interior.  The scent
went away after a day of driving with the sunroof open.  I would say from my
past escapades that it would be a fun experience for you with no harm to
your DeLorean.

Matthew
VIN # WANTED!