From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2000 8:24 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 74

1. Luggage Rack
From: delorean31_at_dml_aol.com

2. AC Drain Tube (Was: unknown)
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

3. T-Bar Discoloration
From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>

4. Re: engine swaps
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

5. Automatic car washes? Pros/Cons?
From: heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net

6. Re: engine swaps
From: "at88mph" <at88mph_at_dml_mobis.com>

7. RE: Re: Horn replacement
From: "Doc" <doctor280_at_dml_email.msn.com>

8. Ham Radio?
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_hscis.net>

9. RE: Luggage Rack
From: Jason Perkins <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>

10. RE: Automatic car washes? Pros/Cons?
From: "Michael C. Babb" <michael.babb_at_dml_mindspring.com>

11. that great smell o' gasoline.
From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Turbos
From: petleech_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Engine Cover help
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Automatic car washes? Pros/Cons?
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

15. RE: Ham Radio?
From: "Yocom, Shannon" <syocom_at_dml_mitchellco.com>

16. Re: T-Bar Discoloration
From: "doctor who" <ohwrd_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Re: Delorean Bankruptcy
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

18. RE: Luggage Rack
From: "Michael C. Babb" <michael.babb_at_dml_mindspring.com>

19. Nosebra: WOW- nice!
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: Updated Service Manuals coming?
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

21. Re: Automatic car washes? Pros/Cons?
From: "Phil F" <delorean_at_dml_usfamily.net>

22. Re: Automatic car washes? Pros/Cons?
From: Trevor Johnson <comet6974_at_dml_juno.com>

23. Re: Automatic car washes? Pros/Cons?
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

24. Re: fog machines and conventions
From: aabclafon_at_dml_aol.com

25. JZD on Real T.V.
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 07:43:29 EDT
From: delorean31_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Luggage Rack

I have been looking for a luggage carrier type box that will bolt on to the
DeLorean Luggage Rack.  I have looked at many models from Thule, Yakima and
other companies.  They all seem to be too long since the DeLorean luggage
rack is only about 23 inches from top to bottom.  The shortest box I have
seen so far is 55 inches.  I was wondering if anyone knows of a hard type
luggage box that fits nicely on the DeLorean luggage rack.  If so let me know
the brand name and where you purchased it.

Gary Gore
Activities Director
DeLorean Mid Atlantic

Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 08:09:01 -0400
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>
Subject: AC Drain Tube (Was: unknown)

Try removing the front wheel, that may give you better access to it from
the bottom.

Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 08:18:58 -0400
From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>
Subject: T-Bar Discoloration

Hi Joe,

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't taking something abrasive like a
scotch-brite pad something that is not recommended for the T-bars. It
was my understanding that due any scratches would develop into fractures
that will eventually lead the bars snapping.  I'm game to try it as
trying to mask off the area and paint them isn't my idea of fun,  but I
just wanted to put this question out there.  I know that a Scotch-Brite
pad is no where near as abrasive as sandpaper but is it soft enough to
not damage the t-bar?

The other question is, why would this area turn brown like rust?

Thanks for the advise

Tom   #05732

DMC Joe Wrote:

The "barber pole" strips on the door torsion bar are a stress patterns
left
by the "ten revolution twist in liquid nitrogen manufacturing process".
The
lines are easily removed with a scotch-brite pad.

"We're here to help you"; See you in Cleveland!

DMC Joe / De Lorean Services / <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>
.

Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 08:16:57 -0400
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>
Subject: Re: engine swaps

Don at Delorean Motor Center in Garden Grove CA has done this swap.  He
has some custom parts that may help you.

There are a few other that have done similar swaps...  I am still
waiting to see what DMC Houston has in the works for the future of their
high performance PRV6 before seriously considering a swap.

Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 12:22:14 -0000
From: heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net
Subject: Automatic car washes? Pros/Cons?

Hello All,

  Not to incite a huge debate, but I'm looking for any MAJOR cons to
taking my Delorean thru the standard auto car wash.

 Thanks,
-Hank Eskin #1619

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 07:53:40 -0700
From: "at88mph" <at88mph_at_dml_mobis.com>

Jack,

I've installed a  Chevy Vortec 4.3  V6 into my DeLorean.  I am about 80%
finished with it.  I'm not familiar with the setup of the 3.8, but if you
have any questions, feel free to email me.

Thanks,

Duke

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 09:04:36 -0400
From: "Doc" <doctor280_at_dml_email.msn.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Horn replacement

Dave said,

I'd bet that Auto Zone also had some nice black spray paint just a
few aisles over. Solves that problem right quick.

Now this is one of the small things that makes the list, one of those things
that you just have to be a part of. A very simple idea that I had not
thought of.

To quote a good friend "I love it".

Robert Starling
Vin#5252

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 08:40:46 -0700
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_hscis.net>
Subject: Ham Radio?

Hi y'all,
    Is anyone on the List a Ham Radio Operator and if so I would welcome ideas on installation of ham gear in the car.   I have installed gear in a lot of cars and there are always new ideas out there.
        Murray  W7NSU
        Vin: 05962 Lic: DMC-XII
        Washington State

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 08:45:15 -0700
From: Jason Perkins <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: RE: Luggage Rack

If I remember correctly, there was mention of someone on the list using a
Black hard plastic wedge like container.  It was about the same size as the
luggage rack, and they used tie down traps to keep it in place.  Also since
the D is already back heavy, this design did not cause much more excessive
weight.  I beleive the posting stated they purchased this from Wal-Mart??

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 10:22:02 -0600
From: "Michael C. Babb" <michael.babb_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Automatic car washes? Pros/Cons?

I regularly take my DeLorean through automatic car washes. . .I just use the
"touchless" ones though.  The regular car washes with the big brushes should
be alright, just make sure that the brushes spin with the grain of the
stainless (most do, but I have been though some that spin diagonally).

Michael Babb
VIN3472

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 10:41:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: that great smell o' gasoline.

Hi everyone!

I have another question for DMC think tank :)

I get a very prominate gas smell in my cabin.

I really have no idea why.  I get it with a full tank
of gas and with the needled stitting on empty.  I
mostly get it in stop and go traffic.. cruising.. its
fine.

I have tried to remedy this by tightening the clamp
around the boot of the fuel pump.  I checked it and
its still leaking alittle gas.. but from my intuition
i dont think this is the cause.  Any clues?

Clifton Andrews

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 13:45:38 EDT
From: petleech_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Turbos

In a message dated 6/1/00 12:23:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cnsandog_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

<< BAE single Turbo, and it works great!  I have driven ones without it and
then mine and you can definately tell a difference in third, fourth, and
fifth gears!

 VIN 16367 >>

Have you ever had the car tested to see what kind of power you are getting,
and how does it improve the 0-60mph time? I am considering the Turbos over
the Houston upgrade because my engine is not eligable because it has 81k on
it and the Upgrade is more expensive with probably less power gain.

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 14:00:29 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Engine Cover help

michael.babb_at_dml_mindspring.com writes:

<< I managed to get the
 louvers to re-latch the right way (and quit rubbing little holes on my new
 paint job). >>

My louver doesn't latch.  Just lays there by gravity.  How did you make it
latch?

-Wayne

Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 18:04:48 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

I've never had a problem when running the D through a brushless car
wash. Although I haven't run it through the type that does use
brushes, I can tell you that they consistantly miss alot more of the
dirt, particuarly the back of the car/truck. It requires a bit more
work, but I usually like to wash the D with the high pressure washer
& the bubble brush. That way you can get more of your car cleaned
like the rocker panels, engine cover, etc... Plus I think it adds a
nicer shine than just the automatic. Before you wash your car, make
sure that there are no leaves or anything else that can either block
or slow drainage from the heater/AC intake below the windshield. Mine
was full of leaves & dirt, so the water filled up and then spilled
over into the blower moter. Needless to say I had a huge waterfall of
soapy water pouring into my car, and since I was in the automatic
carwash I couldn't stop it! To check if it's clogged, use a garden
hose or a bucket, and pour water into the chamber. Look in the
chamber to see if water fills up to the top. If not, then everythings
alright. If so, then you'll need to remove the access panel to the
gas tank in the trunk. Above the gas tank, behind the fuel pump
cover, is where you'll find the drain hole. Hooking a wet/dry shop
vac up to the drain while the chamber has water in it is a good way
to flush it out. If you have a large obstruction (such as grape,
maple leaves, even twigs), you may need to remove to remove the grate
below the windshield covering everything for better access. None of
this is pictured in the Workshop manual, and even though this can
cause water to enter to cabin, it isn't mentioned anywhere in the
service bulletin dealing with water leaks. Although this is more
likely to happen to cars that sat outside, it never hurts to check if
you have a car thats about to see water but has never been in it
before.

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 14:21:12 -0400
From: "Yocom, Shannon" <syocom_at_dml_mitchellco.com>
Subject: RE: Ham Radio?

Since were on the subject. Does anyone have a rear power antenaa that can
handle both your normal AM & FM stereo and a CB radio?  I believe Kayo Ong
has one, but not sure.  If anyone does can you please tell me where you
purchased it from. I would love to have one when I purchase my D in 2003.

Shannon
VIN# Not Yet!

Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 11:23:50 PDT
From: "doctor who" <ohwrd_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: T-Bar Discoloration

I have used the green 3M scotchbrite pads to clean stainless steel for many
years. They were designed for cleaning food service stainless and are
nothing like sandpaper (although the texture may feel rough to your skin). I
have food service grade stainless countertops and even after the hardest
scrubdown after a stubborn mess, the original factory brushwork is there and
the mess is not.

I'm not a metallurgirst and obviously the choice is yours, but Joe did make
the reccomendation, and based on my experience w/those pads I would have to
agree w/him, I think they'll work w/out any damage.

dr c.

Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 14:54:27 -0400
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: Re: Delorean Bankruptcy

Thank you, Mike DeLuca, for pointing out this story yesterday:

http://www.newsday.com/coverage/current/business/wednesday/nd7718.htm

This is by far the best description of the legal situation that I have
ever read.  The major judgment against Arthur Anderson stems from the
DeLorean Motorcars Company, not John DeLorean himself.  As accountants
for DMC, Arthur Anderson signed off on the accounting practices it used.

Most newspaper stories do a poor job of explaining the separate fates of
DMC and John Z. DeLorean, but this one does it well.  Everyone should
read it.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 7 years

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 13:17:52 -0600
From: "Michael C. Babb" <michael.babb_at_dml_mindspring.com>

The case mentioned below WAS available from Wal-Mart a few years ago.  It
has since been discontinued.  I have been searching for a similar type of
case for about a year.  I currently have a big square black storage box that
I use with the luggage rack.  It was designed to be a trunk organizer.  I
used silicon sealer to make it watertight. . . hopefully.  It is ugly, but
it does the job.

If anyone finds a source for the wedge shaped cases, be sure to let the rest
of us know!

Michael

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 16:23:31 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Nosebra: WOW- nice!

The first re-issued limited edition Colgan Custom De Lorean nosebra sample
came through to me today.  Wow... is it well made!  Five year warranty, too.
(Colgan was the inventor of the nosebra.) When they saw my original, they
told me they were concerned that they probably couldn't emboss the "DE
LOREAN" on the front as they had before, because they don't do that anymore
on their other nosebras for copyright reasons.  And the embossing dies were
"probably long gone."   But lo and behold... they still exist!  Yeehaa.  If
you ordered one (or two,) you're gonna love it!  If you didn't order one...
sorry!  I don't have any extras at this point.  I don't think we'll see
another reissue in the forseeable future.  They've doubled the minimum
quantity for a reorder. I expect to receive the shipment on 6/26 (it's their
busy season.)  Well worth the wait.  Wish I had it a week ago before a local
car show.  I hate picking bugs off my fascia. Ugh!

-Wayne
"Living the dream"

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 16:23:30 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Updated Service Manuals coming?

In a message dated 5/30/00 7:50:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
delorean502_at_dml_excite.com writes:

<< A while back on the DML there was talk about getting the Service
 Manuals Updated.  We all know that some of the things in those books
 are NOT correct.  Is there any progress on this, or hasn't it even
 been started? >>

Erik-
I'm interested in this too... and you'll be hearing more about it in a few
weeks.  Like most owners who attempt minor or major repairs, I find the
manual less than ideal even for a professional, much less a capable shade
tree mechanic.  The descriptions are sparse and not backed up by real-life
experience.  The illustrations are even a bit confusing.  I don't do all the
repairs to my D personally, but I do want to know how to steer my trusted
mechanic, and have the parts on hand.

I was able to get the Colgan Custom De Lorean  nosebra revived for a limited
edition, and now  I'd like to tackle this project next.  I just talked to DMC
Joe today, and he's been thinking along the same lines.  It would be a big
undertaking, but a major contribution to the marque, I think!

When my son first tried to get me interested in De Loreans, I thought,
"expensive to buy, always broken down, impossible to get parts."  I didn't
get that from the DML!  I'd have thought the same about any 18 year old
limited edition car.  But I was wrong!  Hey, I love my D and drive it
everyday.  A better service manual can't help but improve the overall
ownership experience and value of the car.  My mechanic doesn't want to read
the back issues of DML and $350. worth of De Lorean World to get a question
answered, and neither do I.

What do you think, list members?  Who's interested?  What should such a new
manual cost?  (Is there sufficient sale potential to cover the cost of
publicartion.)  Speak up!

-Wayne

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 15:27:36 -0500
From: "Phil F" <delorean_at_dml_usfamily.net>

The touchless car washes are great, my friend uses them on his 2000 Mustang
GT. They've never done any damage yet at least.

-Phil
philf_at_dml_ssesco.com

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 13:51:25 -0700
From: Trevor Johnson <comet6974_at_dml_juno.com>

Look out for car washes with any thing that comes down onto the car i.e.
a blow drier, these can break the louvers.
Trevor Johnson
#6974 and soon to be 4???
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 21:07:37 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

Never having done it, but having spent a lot of time crawling under
the car, I'd be concerned about ground clearance and/or tearing up
the frame coating, especially on a lowered car. And you'd certainly
find the door leaks. Kee in mind that you'd also be washing/waxing
the engine, although no worse than being in the rain.

Shoot - I've never even hose-washed my car, just Windex or SS
cleaner. (Obviously not a daily driver.)

Dave Swingle

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 18:38:55 EDT
From: aabclafon_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: fog machines and conventions

Did you ask to appear at the convention? or did they ask you?   How did they
find you?  I think it would be cool to have my Delorean in a convention.

Thanks
Dave  #2578

Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 01:21:10 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: JZD on Real T.V.

I waited a week to see if anyone else had seen the episode, or had
info on it, but I guess not. Last Thursday, (not yesterday, the week
before), I came in on the end of a Real T.V. episode where they were
doing a segment on JZD. The only things I saw was some footage of
Larry Flynt when he was arrested, some DMC-12's in a warehouse
(factory?), and and interview with JZD at what appeared to be a
party. Don't know who the reporter was, but they asked JZD how he
felt now that he was aquitted of all charges. His response was that
he, "...felt like a million bucks!" I figured that the list would be
clogged with info about the segment, but I was wrong! I've looked on
Real T.V.'s website, but I can't find any contact phone #'s or email
adresses to contact anyone. Did anyone else see this?