From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Friday, June 09, 2000 7:56 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: Digest Number 85

1. Re: Crashed
From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. JZD in Men's Health
From: "Ryan Stroschein" <ryan.stroschein_at_dml_sterling.com>

3. Re: '00 DeLorean?
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

4. Re: '00 DeLorean?
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

5. Cleveland Code of Conduct
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 17:35:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Crashed

Ill have pictures emailed to you saturday night of the
pad.

-Cliff

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com

Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 01:39:02 -0000
From: "Ryan Stroschein" <ryan.stroschein_at_dml_sterling.com>
Subject: JZD in Men's Health

I finally went back and found this.  On page 104 of the March 2000
issue of Men's Health there is a quote from John DeLorean regarding
the future of cars.

Sorry I don't have a scanner, but the clipping follows:

"Q: What is the future of cars?
John DeLorean: There are some exciting things going on with hybrid
technology (an internal-combustion engine combined with a second
energy source).  But don't count out gasoline as the main fuel --
because of the multi-jillion dollars that have been invested in its
production.  The resources for the foreseeable future are out to 60
years.  So, I don't think cars are really going to change all that
drastically; after all, they've hardly changed at all over the last
60 years.  The major innovations have been very few -- air-
conditioning, power steering, power brakes, and the microchip."

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 19:44:13 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: '00 DeLorean?

While setting up our online store, we calculate that to build a
DeLorean from parts alone, would run about $140,000, not including
labor.

Realistically, when asked what it would cost to build a "new"
DeLorean from the parts we have, we usually quote a figure of
$75,000. No takers yet.

Our fully refurbished and warranteed DeLoreans for $29,500 are the
closest thing to a new DeLorean today, IMO. Compared to the prices
quoted by others online, it's a bargain as well...

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.usadmc.com

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 22:37:52 EDT
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

rapparivarat_at_dml_erols.com writes:

<< I've heard that a new "standard" Chevrolet or Ford built out of a
dealership
 parts department would cost in excess of $1,000,000 (unconfirmed).  From the
 prices I've seen for "replacement parts" I believe that. >>

    I remember my economics teacher giving us a similar example.  He said
that the cost to build a brand new $20,000 car from parts would cost 10 times
the price of the car, according to him that would mean $200,000.  He didn't
say what kind of car it was though (i.e.... Ford or Chevy).  Makes you think
about the mark up for replacement parts that dealerships get to charge to
customers.

Later,
Nick

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 23:34:32 EDT
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Cleveland Code of Conduct

Dear DML,

    I belong to another exotic car list, and I came across this. I thought
that it would be beneficial for those of us going to Cleveland and Beyond.

Read This Carefully.

Joe Martz (nsxguy_at_dml_RT66.com) has owned 2 NSX's plus several Italian exotics.
He recently posted this to the Ferrari list and I thought it was worth
repeating.

This morning waiting for F1 qualifying, I ginned-up the following as a
personal code for myself. I don't intend this for anyone else, and you have
the lovely gift of free-choice to decide on your own about these things. That
said, I thought others here might be interested. As a code for myself, I
might not always meet the standards I outline. But I firmly believe in
self-improvement and all that stuff, so here goes...

My personal code of conduct as an exotic owner
( Copyright 1998

My cars will always be clean and well-presentable. I will ensure that my cars
are in the highest state of mechanical condition and maintenance. Exotics as
indeed rare, and to see one is a special experience. I have an obligation to
present these cars to others at a high standard.

I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. I will not talk down to or
ignore anyone, and I will cheerfully answer all questions. Exotic owners
wrongly suffer from a "snob" label. By actively and always countering this, I
will strive to change this perception among all whom I met.

Where feasible, I will encourage inspection and observation of my cars. If
someone is clean and courteous, I will encourage them to sit in my cars. I
will actively encourage photographs. In-particular, I will encourage this
among younger children. On occasion, I will offer rides to admirers under the
appropriate circumstances.

With one exception (see 5, below), I will obey all traffic laws or local
traffic customs. Especially, I will pass other cars only in marked, safe
passing zones, and I will always respect traffic speeds and noise ordinances
within city limits. I will always drive in a defensive manner to protect
myself and my vehicle. I will not initiate nor will I respond to challenges
to race my cars on open public roads. When asked to race, I will positively
comment on the challengers car and invite them to inspect mine at an
appropriate stopping point, while asking if I might see their
vehicle.

Operating my cars as Enzo, Soichiro and Ferruccio intended will occur only on
open, rural routes free of heavy traffic or on appropriately designated race
courses. On public highways, I will use my highest powers of observation and
diligence to ensure that I place myself, my vehicles, and the public in no
additional danger. I will be aware of the environment and road conditions,
and I will not drive at excessive speeds on unknown or suspect roads. When
approaching blind corners or hills, I will assume that an obstacle exists and
will take appropriate defensive measures.

I will share my passion and excitement for exotic cars with others through
community service and charitable events. I will actively seek out community
organizations such as local police departments and schools and offer my cars
for use in events such as DARE programs, homecoming parades, pep rallies,
etc. Many communities have "Make a Wish" foundations for sick children. If
given the opportunity, I will offer a day with myself and my cars to such
organizations in an effort to brighten an otherwise trying life for someone
less fortunate than I.

I will be honest and open with other enthusiasts, and I will accurately
represent my cars to prospective owners and buyers. I will keep complete
records, and I will always follow-up with purchasers of my cars to ensure
that they continue to gain maximum satisfaction and appreciation for cars
that I have owned and serviced.

I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my
cars to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such
automobiles and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain,
and that today may be as good as it gets.