From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2000 8:03 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: Digest Number 86

From: ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>

From: Hank Breer <hbreer_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

From: bluevelvet420_at_dml_aol.com

From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

From: bluevelvet420_at_dml_aol.com

From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

From: "Eric J. Hennebury" <ehennebury_at_dml_performconsulting.com>

From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomcio_at_dml_gtemail.net>

From: SEDeLorean_at_dml_aol.com

From: mbomberger_at_dml_analysts.com

From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_ketchum.com>

From: sand131_at_dml_aol.com

From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

From: "Scot Stern" <SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com>

From: dmc3309_at_dml_aol.com

17. RE: '81 D For Sale
From: "Doc" <doctor280_at_dml_email.msn.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 00:23:39 EDT
From: ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: '00 DeLorean?

Dear list:

              According to Mr. Espey, a '00 Delorean's parts is about
$140,000. This mean is if we really want to build by own, We can get by under
$20,000 (Parts, tools and extra stuff like oil Bolts, Brake Fluid, etc.) with
long long labor time and strong efforts. I think it is OK for some long term
project because many people in U. S build some kit cars by their own. For
me... I would simply fix my car step by step now. It is worth, but I got many
things to do.

Blacknight

Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:32:54 -0000
From: "Erik Geerdink" <delorean502_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Price of "new" Deloreans

When you think about it, a totally refurbished Delorean from DMC
Houston is actually cheaper than when they were new.  Didn't most
Deloreans sell for around 30-35K when they were first introduced?
Even at $30k, Deloreans now are cheaper when you consider inflation.
Plus, "new" deloreans are much better than when they were first
made.  re-engineered parts, better labor....

enough said....seeya in Cleveland!

Erik Geerdink

Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 14:43:51 -0700
From: Hank Breer <hbreer_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: DML SoCal Parades

All Southern California Owners,

A couple of events for the month of July:

Tuesday, July 4th:  Sierra Madre 4th of July parade.  There is already a group
of DeLoreans scheduled to be in the parade. If you are interested in joining us,
drop my wife Mimi a line mailto:mbreer_at_dml_ix.netcom.com

Saturday, July 23rd.  10th Annual Ventura All British Day.  This car show is
sponsored by the Central Coast British Car Club.  It will be held at Ventura
Harbor Village. After the show, there will be a DeLorean BBQ at a local owner's
home. For more information and an entry form, contact either
Mimi mailto:mbreer_at_dml_ix.netcom.com or Julie mailto:djjohnson6_at_dml_juno.com.

Both the parade and the car show are open to any owner.

Hank

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 01:09:09 EDT
From: bluevelvet420_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 6/8/00 8:53:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time, james_at_dml_usadmc.com
writes:

<< Our fully refurbished and warranteed DeLoreans for $29,500  >>

what????   i thought they were $50,000?
-greg

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 01:12:00 EDT
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Cleveland Code of Conduct

Michael,

    Very well said.   It gives us all something to strive to achieve.

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 01:14:16 EDT
From: bluevelvet420_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 6/8/00 8:53:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time, njp548_at_dml_aol.com
writes:

<< Makes you think
 about the mark up for replacement parts that dealerships get to charge to
 customers. >>

tell me about it.  my mom and i went to the chevy dealership the other day
cuz she wanted flashier wheels ( we have a 99 chevy suburban 4wd 2500, just
about as big as you can get, besides the diesel) and it has REALLY
utilitarian wheels, so she wanted to get diff wheels.  they quoted us a price
of 464 dollars.....per wheel.  4 wheels for over $1,200.  a huge rip off IMO.
 the markup for a new car isnt that much really, but replacement parts are
where they make money

-greg

Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 07:40:12 -0500
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>
Subject: Re: Parts Cost: Was '00 DeLorean?

It isn't all markup. There is a lot of difference in costs between shipping
a bin full of parts to the factory, and boxing them up one by one for parts
sales. Plus cost of maintaining the inventory, cost of having a parts guy
at the counter to look it up and get it off the shelf, etc. I'm not saying
that the prices of parts from dealers isn't high, just that there is some
justification for a big part of that.

Mark N
VIN 6820

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 14:11:56 -0400
From: "Eric J. Hennebury" <ehennebury_at_dml_performconsulting.com>
Subject: Spark Plug Wire Replacement.

I just recently changed the spark plug wires in my Delorean.  All told, I think it took me about 3 hours.  Quite a job when you consider that you're just changing wires!  I accomplished this through the removal of the fuel distributor section of the intake manifold to gain access to the cap and rotor.  When I hooked everything back up, the car started right up, but died instantly.  It refused to idle or take any gas whatsoever.  As it turns out, I was able to solve the problem, and the car is running better than ever since I've owned it.  When re-installing the fuel distributor, I had accidentally reversed two of the fuel lines, one of them being to the warm up regulator.  I discovered the root of the problem after digging up some old photos of the engine bay that I had taken prior to extracting my engine a couple of years ago.  So the purpose of my post is actually 2 fold:

1.  I would like to thank Rob at P.J. Grady for his patience in trying to help me determine the source of my car's condition.  He pointed me to a couple of areas that didn't solve the problem, but needed attention anyway.  (by the way, when was the last time you checked your ballast resistor connections... mine were in terrible shape).  Thanks also to P.J. Grady for there prompt delivery of the new parts I ordered.

2.  When working on some of the more complex areas of the car, take the time to label things properly.  Last time I removed the intake assembly, I carefully labeled all of the hoses, tubes, and wires that I removed, and re-installation was a snap... this time, I rushed things, neglected labeling, and subsequently screwed things up!  Also, a picture is worth a thousand words.  If you're taking something apart, snap a couple of pictures, or take a couple of minutes of video footage.  These types of things can really help out sometimes.

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 15:17:53 -0400
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomcio_at_dml_gtemail.net>
Subject: Comment about D - funny

Hi everyone,
Today I've heard the most outrages comment about my DeLorean. I guy came up
to me to look at the car... he said that he just loves those cars and he
always wanted to get one. Since I'm trying to sell mine I told him that
here's a chance for him to own one. Then he said: yeah, BUT.....
Me: but what?
Him: your car looks like sh$%
Me: what are talking about?
Him: it's all scrached up... looks like somebody did it with a sand paper
Me: that's the way they should be!!!
Him: no man.... this looks BAD
About 10 minutes later another guy came up to me and said that I should not
leave the car like that... that I need to paint it as soon as possible
because it will rust. He actually thought that I was restoring the car and
that I stripped all the paint. And suprisingly he knew that it was a
DeLorean ;o)

It seems that some people just don't get it ;o)
I just wanted to share this funny story... I've never heard anything like
this before.

Tom Niemczewski
tomcio_at_dml_gtemail.net
vin 6298 (FOR SALE)

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 15:28:31 EDT
From: SEDeLorean_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Larry Flint and DMC

Brad,

You obviouisly missed about a good 10 to 15 minutes of the movie.  Flynt (Harrelson) calls a CBS mgmt. figure (Norm MacDonald) and has the FBI tape of JZD and the bust.  The JZD tape scandal (or whatever you want to call it) then moves into court.  It happens to be a bigger deal in the movie...  Like I said, it takes up 10 to 15 minutes in the film.  And you missed it??!

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 15:11:07 -0500
From: mbomberger_at_dml_analysts.com
Subject: '81 D For Sale

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to make a move right now, but I did run
across a nice D for sale.  Here are the particulars:

1981 40,612 miles   Grey Interior  5 Spd.     BAE Turbo      Engine bay in
pristine condition with S/S header bottle
Non original Alpine receiver  Built in K40 radar   Goodyear Eagle RH's F195/R235
looked new     Leather is Avg.
Stainless is in good condition 1 small indention on the T panel   Fascia's in
good shape       Frame is in good condition
Comes with Tech Manual

The car drove very well - the A/C worked fine, all the other electricals
appeared to be in good condition.  All the gaps in the panels
were uniform and it didn't appear to of been in any type of accident.  I don't
have prior ownership history as its at a wholesale car lot
(indoors).  They don't know what to do with it.  They have $12K in it but will
take $10k to move it.  I've exhausted my resources looking
for a way to purchase the vehicle, but didn't want to stand in the way of
someone else realizing their dream.  Overall I would rank this car a
6.5 out of 10.

Here's what the car needs:

Headliner Engine louver       Weatherstripping     Pulls for both doors
Drivers window needs work (offtrack)
Carpet         Brakes squeak       A good detailing!

SCEDT26T8BD00471         Oct. 1981

Please contact me offline for more info.
Mbomberger_at_dml_analysts.com

Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 05:04:37 -0400
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_ketchum.com>
Subject: R134a

Hi All,

I was hoping someone could answer a question for me on R134a.  I will
be pressurizing my system soon, and wondered which compressor oil was a
better substitute for the original on a total conversion-- Esther, or
PAG.

My system has a brand new compressor, o-rings and accumulator, and the
hoses, condensor and evaporator have all been flushed with a/c system
cleaner.  I bought 3 pounds of R134a and a can of the cooling additive
(it works pretty well, surprisingly), but realized I didn't know which
oil to use.

This will be my fourth conversion to R134a on cars (2 Fords and an Audi)

I've seen a lot of mention on R134a in the archives, but no 'final
answers' ever surfaced.  If anyone has some help they could provide,
please let me know.

Thanks,

-Dave Stragand
VIN #05927
http://www.ProjectVixen.com

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 18:32:05 EDT
From: sand131_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: '81 D For Sale

In a message dated 06/09/2000 5:23:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
mbomberger_at_dml_analysts.com writes:

[...]

Is something wrong with that Vin #  ? I thought that they started at 500 ???
Ralph

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 16:45:43 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

The $50,000 DeLoreans are the price quoted from "ONE" of the other
DeLorean parts/service facilities. Bear in mind that an order for one
of our $29,500 DeLoreans placed today could probably not be filled
until August or September. Right now we have a backlog of four cars...

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.usadmc.com

Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 01:35:51 -0000
From: "Scot Stern" <SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Distributor Cap & Rotor

My car has 9,280 mile on it and I thought that it might be a good
idea to replace the original cap and rotor.  DMC in Irvine replaced
the spark plugs.

Is there a simple method to accomplish this seemingly dificult task?
It looks like a difficult and time consuming undertaking. Also,
should the coil be replaced?  The car runs great, so maybe I should
just leave it alone.

Scot

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 22:29:50 EDT
From: dmc3309_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: 81 Delorean for sale VIN3309

I believe the time has come to sell my Delorean.  Due to work and family I
just do not have the extra time I once did.  Here is some information:

VIN  3309
1981  Automatic grey interior
20,000 miles
Thin grey side stripe,  Black mats, manuals, paperwork etc.
Frame epoxy is like new
fasicas are mint. Exterior extremely clean and straight
Too many new parts to list here
Orginal NCT's with the fronts like new  no dry rot
Interior is clean with no dry rot or sun damage
The car is located in Youngstown, Ohio which is about 60 miles from
Cleveland. I am asking $15,750.  Anyone who is interested can E mail me  at :

dmc3309_at_dml_aol.com  or call me at 330 792-0016

Thanks, Robert Gorski

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 22:39:46 -0400
From: "Doc" <doctor280_at_dml_email.msn.com>

 Here's what the car needs:

 Headliner Engine louver       Weatherstripping     Pulls for both doors
 Drivers window needs work (offtrack)
 Carpet         Brakes squeak       A good detailing!

 SCEDT26T8BD00471         Oct. 1981

 Please contact me offline for more info.
 Mbomberger_at_dml_analysts.com

Is something wrong with that Vin #  ? I thought that they started at 500 ???
Ralph
Beginning in 1981 all Vin#'s are required to have 17 digits. The Vin listed
has only 16 digits, so the poster has forgotten one digit.

Robert Starling
Vin#05252