From: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2000 7:32 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com
Subject: Digest Number 87

1. DeLorean Car Show 2000
From: Richard Strecker <dmc1219_at_dml_one.net>

2. Re: '00 DeLorean?
From: Trevor Johnson <comet6974_at_dml_juno.com>

3. Re: '00 DeLorean?
From: robertbrady <robertbrady_at_dml_earthlink.net>

4. Re: '00 DeLorean?
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

5. RE: '81 D For Sale
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

6. Antenna Support Bracket
From: billschaferabn_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: 81 Delorean for sale VIN3309
From: Richard Strecker <dmc1219_at_dml_one.net>

8. Super Car Sunday /Practical Classics Mags.
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>

9. Fuel pump woes.. maybe? AND gas smell revisited
From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Polished wheels from houston
From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Seat replacement
From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: DeLorean Car Show 2000
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

13. The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_ketchum.com>

14. Refurbished DMCs
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

15. Re: Fuel pump woes.. maybe? AND gas smell revisited
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 15:36:59 -0400
From: Richard Strecker <dmc1219_at_dml_one.net>
Subject: DeLorean Car Show 2000

Anyone attending the show...

I am working on name tags for the show and have found that some (many)
have omitted the names of their spouses, SO's, kids, parents, friends
etc. who will be attending the show with them.  I know the time is short
(!!) , but, if you could confirm to me at dmc1219_at_dml_one.net  (rather than
replying to this message) the names, I will be able to have the tags
ready for the show.  Oh yeah, I'll need the information by Sunday if you
can.

Thanks for your co-operation,  see you in Cleveland next week!!!!

Richard Strecker

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 22:22:38 -0700
From: Trevor Johnson <comet6974_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: '00 DeLorean?

Ed At Delorean One sells his cars for 50k they are constructed from
quality parts and are done right, thats why they cost a little bit more.
Trevor Johnson
#6974 and soon to be 4???
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 09:06:36 -0400
From: robertbrady <robertbrady_at_dml_earthlink.net>

at 29,500 for  a refurbished one ,how much aprox. to refurbish one if the owner
furnishes the car ?

Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 09:46:43 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

bluevelvet420_at_dml_aol.com writes:

<< replacement parts are  where they make money >>

A company like GM doesn't keep a ten year backlog of parts.  They can reorder
as needed. On the other hand,  DMC Houston bought a lifetime supply of
whatever was available.  While some parts are now gone, or current
replacements are being used instead, there is a 20 year supply on some parts,
such as steel panels.  The warehousing cost must be huge.  You're not just
buying a piece of steel... you're buying free technical advice and 18 to 40
(eventually) years of rent that it sat on a shelf.  Think about it!  The rent
(or mortgage) payments, started the first month after Steve bought the
inventory.  That's a lot of interest due.  I'm glad it wasn't auctioned
piecemeal or sold for scrap... which in a different scernario might have been
financially viable.  Close call!

-Wayne
"Living the dream"
11174   see you in OHIO!

Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 09:09:44 -0500
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>
Subject: RE: '81 D For Sale

Looks like it ought to be 471x with that Oct build date.

Mark N
VIN 6820  Nov. 1981

Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 13:42:38 EDT
From: billschaferabn_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Antenna Support Bracket

Group,

   I was working on my power antenna and noticed the support bracket doesn't
seem to be doing its job. I noticed only two point of contact holding the
bracket in position. One at the rear top held in place by a stud from the
facia area & the other about 3 or four inches lower that is held near the
rear drivers quarter pannel. Should there be more or is this the total number
of contacts holding this in place? If this is the proper setup it really
seems very prone to excessive movement in all directions. Has anyone replaced
theirs or had a similar problem?

Bill
vin #11596

Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 15:00:18 -0400
From: Richard Strecker <dmc1219_at_dml_one.net>
Subject: Re: 81 Delorean for sale VIN3309

Robert,

Bring it to Cleveland next weekend, who knows you might find a buyer....

Richard

Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 20:21:28 +0100
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>
Subject: Super Car Sunday /Practical Classics Mags.

List / UK readers

I have done a deal with Practical Classics Magazines for a bulk order of
back issues of  the "April issue 4  2000", which had a 6 page feature on our
beloved D's I will take them along to "Super Car Sunday" at the British
Motor Industries "Heritage Trust " , DOC UK rally at Gaydon in Warwickshire,
on July the 16th..already we have 20 Deloreans booked in ! Members of the
public are welcome for a modest entry fee...Delorean drivers and passengers
get in free. ....Come on you British chaps..get moving..book your car in by
telephoning 01926-641188..or email me direct for an entry form..we are on
course for being the biggest ever assembly of DeLorean's in the UK! to date
( factory car park excluded!) .  Including 6 origanal Right Hand Drive Cars,
inc. "Dusty" the trailer queen........half the Worlds population!!!!!!!)

Email      chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom .net

Chris DOC uk Hon. Sec.   vins  5638 / 12176

Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 12:32:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Fuel pump woes.. maybe? AND gas smell revisited

Since i got my car my fuel pump has not seemed to be
quite normal.. at first i was getting some strange
noises coming from the pump when i would come to a
fast stop at a light.  Usually the sound would
disappear after a min or two.

Now yesterday the sound started to be constant all the
time.  I pulled the pump and jumped it the sound is
not caused by the hoses being constricted (to my
knowledge) because the noise is actually coming from
the pump unit it self, i adjusted the pump all sorts
of ways, adusting the hoses etc... and it still made
the noise continously.

Its not a good sound either :), it sounds as if its on
its last leg of operation and is struggling to work,
its almost making a grinding/buzzing noise.

Im pretty scared to drive it until i can get some
advice on this.

I posted earlier this month about a strong fuel smell
coming into the cabin, i got alot of great replies on
this issue and confirmed where that smell is coming
from.

If your familar with the fuel pump area, there is a
rubber boot which the fuel pump sits in and then a
rubber cover which goes over this and a clamp around
the whole thing.

Well i have gas sitting inside the boot, fully
imersing the fuel pump unit, on the fuel pump boot
there are notches cut out of the side for the
electrical wires to go into for a snug fit, It seems
that the fuel that is sitting in the boot sloshes
around when driving and seaps threw this area where
the wires are.  I have tried tighting this clamp as
much as possible and putting those wires dead into
those slots but i still get gas coming out like crazy.
 Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Im thinking combined with the fuel pump noises i would
be better off just buying the whole fuel pump combo
kit from houston. Its pretty expensive though and
would prefer to fix it if possible.  Thanks everyone

P.s. off hand does anyone know how many gallons the
fuel tank holds? I might be just used to a econo-honda
civic, but my D guzzles gas, I can watch my gas gauage
go down while i drive to work (20 miles).

Cliff Andrews
Centreville, VA

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com

Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 12:35:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Polished wheels from houston

Sometime this month im getting a new set of Yoko's and
i want to upgrade my rims, I REALLY like the stock
rims but mine and some point of their life have been
repainted a crudy shade of grey.  I was wondering if
anyone on the list has the polished wheels from
houston and if you have good pictures of them and your
opinion.

Cliff Andrews

Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 12:42:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Cliff Andrews <fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Seat replacement

Man, im just full of questions today!!

Anyway, my seats are pretty rough, cracked and
generally look like BUTT. Im all for keeping d's
original and strive to do so on mine, but i feel
certain areas could benefit from modern components.

One of these are seats, Im exploring options of what
to do with mine.  My first option is getting them
recovered with reproduction delorean leather. (this
will most likely be the case)  Secondly i would like
to check into putting in diffrent seats all together.

When i drive my Delorean in a pretty spirited way i
feel the seats are not very supportive, (maybe im just
to skinny) but i slide all over the place and dont
feel one with the seat like in other sports cars.

Has anyone put in other than delorean seats? If so
which seats?  Im looking for any and all information
on SEATS!.. what fits.. sizes.. measurements.. etc.

Thanks everyone!
Cliff Andrews

Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 18:29:44 EDT
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DeLorean Car Show 2000

I know not all the names are there so if there are names missing just run the
tag with the last name or a blank tak and they can Sign in at the show in
ink.  I am more concerned with just having a tag as opposed to all of them
being printed.

Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 08:27:24 -0400
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_ketchum.com>
Subject: The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...

So, today's events are already being referred to by my neigbors as "The
Great Mildred Street Polyester Explosion"... and it's a mess, indeed.

Confused?  Well, maybe I had better back up a bit.

I decided to charge up my air conditioning system today.  Now let me
start by saying that I hate air conditioning; as it always gives me a
headache. I figure that if you want to cool down, well, that's what
windows are for.  But, with the DeLorean, I'm told air conditioning is
something of a necessity.  So, I bought all the remaining parts I'd need
this morning.  I took some good notes with part numbers and procedures
for a future post on retrofitting your D to R134a.  However, I'll save
that for another day.

I charged up the system, and it was blowing nice cold air, and the
pressure on both sides was just fine.  One little problem went
unnoticed, though.  The bolt that I used to hold the clamp on the back
of the compressor was about 1/2" too short, and didn't thread into the
casing very deeply.  What resulted was an explosion with all the
subtlety and grace of Mt. St. Helens.  A geyser of polyester oil shot
about 30 feet in the air, wafting gently on the wind to settle on pretty
much every car in my neighborhood.  It also covered my entire engine and
interior with a fine coat of oil.  Sigggghhhhhh....

The explosion did little other damage, save for the back of the
compressor.  The mounting boss between the suction and discharge side on
the rear of the compressor was ripped right off.  I guess I won't have
air for a little while.

Sooo... if anyone has an old, dead compressor for parts, please drop me
a line.  I only need the rear cover, which has the two ports.  It's held
on by 5 bolts. But... I will buy the whole compressor if necessary.  Oh,
yeah.  I could also use the correct clamp mounting bolt.

If anyone needs me, I'll be washing my neighbors' cars.

-Dave Stragand
http://www.ProjectVixen.com
VIN# 05927

Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 19:45:15 -0500
From: "Gus Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Refurbished DMCs

I sincerely doubt that the extraordinarily high price is due to Ed using
"quality parts".  D1 is just trying to make a market for the cars as
"high-end", which is just fine by me.  I'd really be surprised if they had
any takers at the $50k price tag, though.  And somehow, I'm sure it's the
DML's fault.  :-)

If I recall, Ed was initially selling his refurbs for a much lower price,
with the cost going up incrementally each year.  I think they were at $40k
last year and are $50k now.  Do you really believe that, starting January 1,
they put an extra $10k in parts and labors into the cars?

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN# 4695

Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 20:51:23 EDT
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Fuel pump woes.. maybe? AND gas smell revisited

In a message dated 6/10/00 5:36:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time, fen2k_at_dml_yahoo.com
writes:

<< P.s. off hand does anyone know how many gallons the
 fuel tank holds? I might be just used to a econo-honda
 civic, but my D guzzles gas, I can watch my gas gauage
 go down while i drive to work (20 miles). >>

Cliff,

     Fuel tank holds 13.2 gallons.  See everyone in Cleveland!!

Later,
Nick