From: <dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 355
Date: Saturday, January 06, 2001 11:48 PM

1. You think you have Storage problems
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

2. Re: Procours D'Coolness (an alternative to Concours)
From: "Robert Rooney" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

3. Re: Procours (Delorean Car Show)
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: DMC, BTTF, and other cars compared to the D.
From: <mikeatk_at_dml_concentric.net>

5. Gasket Question.
From: "Robert Rooney" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

6. Re: Re: Who wants to save the "hurt D"?
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Procours D'Coolness (an alternative to Concours)
From: "scottmueller.al" <scottmueller.al_at_dml_netzero.net>

8. Octagon D - lets have a raffle!
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: We the DML...Cool Idea for the Hurt D(Please Read)
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. Re: Lowering Questions
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

11. Re: Procours D'Coolness (an alternative to Concours)
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

12. Re: N.Y. / Long Island DeLorean Owners
From: delorean31_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Re: [doc] Prototype
From: delorean31_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Procours D'Coolness (an alternative to Concours)
From: delorean31_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: You think you have Storage problems
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

16. Gold DeLorean for sale
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Dealer stripe - what glue?
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com>

18. Re: Gold DeLorean for sale
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

19. Re: Octagon D - lets have a raffle!
From: "Fronzel Neekburm" <MIst_hunter1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

20. RE: DMC, BTTF, and other cars compared to the D.
From: "Mike & Ann Griese" <roscsyl_at_dml_millcomm.com>

21. Re: Octagon D - lets have a raffle!
From: "Scott Duke" <s1lvrdo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. Re: Dealer stripe - what glue?
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

23. Re: Re: [doc] Prototype
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com

24. Shifter Emblem
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com

25. Re: Gold DeLorean for sale
From: Brian Henderlong <bhender1_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 19:28:02 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: You think you have Storage problems

Something for you southerners to check out. Check out the photo on
the main page of www.dmcnews.com. Rich W sent me in this photo of his
winter "Car Covers". This was taken today.

This is probably similar to the conditions in which Nick P is trying to reassemble his car.

Don't worry - I'll bring the other logo back later.

Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 05:24:38 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: Procours D'Coolness (an alternative to Concours)

This is a great idea, but it would have ALOT of bugs that would need
to be worked out. With a concours competition you need to keep your
car as original as possible. I would imagine that in judging, debates
would mainly entail what came from the factory and what didn't. But
for daily driving, that would be a whole new creature! Rather then
what options/features has the car kept intact from when it left the
factory. We would now be making sure that the car has had all of it's
recalls properly performed. And also comes the area that you
mentioned of correction of weak-spots, and newer technology.

In concorse I could see if someone who has a VIN that was produced
before a specific recall was issued would have points deducted if
they had that recall performed. That makes sense to me since the goal
is to keep the car in as close a condition as possible to when it
first left the factory (tires included).

Daily driving is going to be entirely different. Regardless of VIN,
all cars would have to have at least a 90 amp alternator installed.
However, how and why would we base point deductions on 90/105/140 amp
alternators? I suppose it would probably be based up what the car
itself has installed resulting in what the power demands are. Though
I totally agree that neatness of installation would be very important.

Alot of this is going to end up being based upon opinion rather then
fact. As an example, let's use fanzilla. I don't have the fanzilla
unit installed, and my fans work fine. But there are some folks who
belive that the fanzilla module is a must because of how it starts up
the fans. Point deductions for a fan-fail relay would be fine since
it was an item that was recalled by the factory. But point deductions
should not be performed if a person has a fail-fail bypass installed.
Items such as this will need to be sorted out ahead of time. There
may be a danger of it turning into a "Who spent the most money on
their car" then a daily driver competition.

Another item would be customization vs. improvements. I live in the
desert. It does get cold, but it doesn't snow here. But if may car
doesn't have a deice shield over the throttle I could understand the
point deduction since it is required for the car, although my region
doesn't warrant it. But, by the same token would I get higher points
for the stainless braided pick-up hose in my gas tank, and my custom
cloth seats because the region I'm in does warrant them? The extreme
heat hear causes the hose to collapse and the pump to buzz, so the
new hose solves that problem. Although someone who is in much cooler
climates may not require that improvement. Same with my seats. It's
no fun wearing shorts and then sitting down onto 140+ leather!
Plus when I take corners in the car I don't slide around. Another
example of an improvement made on my car which may only apply to
myself and/or only a few, but is still nessisary.

Don't think I'm knocking the idea though. I'm just giving some
examples of issues that may arise. I love the idea and would really
like to help see something like this come about.

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 00:29:20 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Procours (Delorean Car Show)

Walter wrote:

So how about we start a second contest to see who has the coolest car?
Instead of penalizing someone for upgrading and modifying/improving, let's
have a contest that specifically rewards for this sort of behavior...........

Things like this are easy to say and sometimes harder to do.

I am willing to do this in Memphis if you will put together a list of what to
judge for and find someone who will do it.  I am slightly occupied during the
show.
We can have people decided to go for this award in addition to or in place of
the daily driver catagory.  I have no problem with someone entering both
catagories.
I have the modified catagory already for this but due to a lack of large
numbers of cars with mods I usuallyonly have 5 or 6 cars enter the unpainted
modified.
There is also a painted modified catagory.

Wingd2 (e-mail) is putting together rules for the daily driver. Maybe bounce
your idea off him as well.

The DeLorean Car Show is a show I put together for ALL of you DeLorean
owners.  I encourage anyone who has an idea for something different or
something that will spark interest to do it.  I will give you the time and
the publicity for it.  Again its your show and it will only improve if you
take an active role in the car.

by the way I have a trailer queen for a DeLorean
and I really like my D

Ken
<A HREF="http://deloreancarshow.com">DeLorean Car Show</A>  MEMPHIS 2002
(Graceland)
Thank you thank you very much (Elvis)

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 04:07:13 -0700
From: <mikeatk_at_dml_concentric.net>
Subject: Re: DMC, BTTF, and other cars compared to the D.

Mike, If that were true, why would so many non-owners believe our cars are
worth many thousands more than they can be had for.  The truth is, most
people only know the DeLorean from their Hollywood experience at the movies
or Blockbuster and approach the car as if they were meeting a well known
actor from the movie.  Good or bad, the history of our cars has been
influenced greatly by BTTF and I for one think it's affect has been
positive.  One could also argue the only negative comments are from the
companies failure and the cocaine association.  Yes, as owners we know the
truth behind all of that but the public doesn't and could care less.  In my
opinion.

Mike Atkinson
vin 16232

You could make the argument that the BTTF movies have
depressed the prices of DeLoreans by turning the car
 into a cartoon.

 Mike Griese
 3335 County Road 15 SW
 Byron, MN  55920
 (507)281-1899

Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 11:26:28 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Gasket Question.

I was planning on replacing my rocker cover gaskets soon. But I had a
quick question first. Is instant gasket alright to use, or would it
be more advisable to purchase a set from DMC Houston and use factory
original? The stuff says that it can be used for head gaskets and
that the engine can be used within 1 minute of application. Ideas?

Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 14:16:13
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Who wants to save the "hurt D"?

I see your point, however, the idea is first to let people choose their part
and then see if there is anyone who wants the same part. Of course the price
of it all depends on the number of people willing to pay.

Also, I don't think anyone would complain in the sense that "he got the
fusebox cover for 50, and this other guy got the steering wheel"

I think most owners first of all would be interested in a part they REALLY
NEED for their car. If someone misses the fuse box cover (and its not
available anymore as you all know) this part would mean everything to the
person who wanted it! And be of much more "value" than anything else on the
car. Let's see if there's enough interest and let's not give up because of
ifs and buts - its a crazy idea yet also a challenge. I'm sure we could work
something out if two people wanted the same part...

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 09:59:07 -0600
From: "scottmueller.al" <scottmueller.al_at_dml_netzero.net>

Walt, I believe that there was a modified class at the Cleveland 2000 show.
I saw some pretty fantastic modifications.  The safety and reliability mods
did not hurt you in the unmodified class.  The judges in the nonconcours
class were hired professionals.  Perhaps Ken K. or one of the judges could
explain the judging criteria as it applies to modified -vs- un modified.

Scott Mueller
scottmueller.al_at_dml_netzero.net
1981/002981  DOA5031/DMCNEWS

> I think that there are enough people out there who want to put their
> Delorean in a contest, but the Concours is not appropriate.
>
> So how about we start a second contest to see who has the coolest car?
> Instead of penalizing someone for upgrading and modifying/improving, let's
> have a contest that specifically rewards for this sort of behavior.

Shop Safely Online Without a Credit Card
http://www.rocketcash.com

Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 16:02:49 -0000
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Octagon D - lets have a raffle!

Hi guys,
If I could add another suggestion to Roberts noble idea! If 1000
people give $25, these funds could be used to turn this poor (Octagon
Auto) DeLorean into a top quality DeLorean. Robert proposes we then
put this car on show etc. I think it would be a more exciting idea to
have a much publicised raffle, and everyone who contributed to the
car would have an automatic ticket. I ticket = $25. Let people donate
$50, $75 or even $100 if they like. But let the raffle be ONLY open
to these 1000 people on the DML, ie no public sale of tickets, and
then we know that the winner will be someone on this list, who will
appreciate the car and the effort involved in getting it back on the
road. Any profits left over after the raffle I think should be helped
to fund the DML. It would be a great publicity stunt for the DML, I'm
sure we could get it written about in the Classic cars magazines, and
would no doubt attract a lot of people to www.dmcnews.com, and help
spread the word across the world that the DeLorean is a great car!
I've got my $25 ready, anyone else??!
John Dore, Ireland.

Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 18:45:05 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: We the DML...Cool Idea for the Hurt D(Please Read)

Maybe some people on the list don't realize it or not but every time
another "D" is totaled 2 things happen. The first is that some
irreplaceble parts become available. The second thing is that every
surviving "D" goes up in value because there are fewer survivors. On
the other hand if someone is serious enough to buy and restore the "D"
some other things happen. The supply of limited parts is further
depleted but more important the value of all "D"'s STILL goes up
because the owner will have spent more than he could have bought one
for in similar condition so he will think he has more value and will
want to try to recoup. Along the way parts prices will have gone up so
future restorations will be more expensive. As parts prices go up it
will cause the car values (good condition cars) to be worth more
because it is more expensive to return cars to good condition. All in
all not too bad but the best is probably to part out the car mainly
because of the limited parts supply issue. Unfortunatly this car in
particular sounds over-priced, I have seen cars in better condition
for less money. The big winners will be the service center that gets
the work and the Venders that supply the parts. The biggest loser will
be the unfortunate owner who will spend too much for his dream.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_j...> wrote:
> Hello list!
>   You know, Stian has a good point when it comes to a joint effort
on

Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 19:25:32 -0000
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>
Subject: Re: Lowering Questions

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> In answer to Stian Birkeland's questions:
>
> I understand that DMC only raised the front and left the rear
alone.  Even
> in the sales literature, photos of the car show that the front
wheels have
> noticeably more clearance in the fender than does the rear.
>
> >snip<>
> The fact that you got 4 new springs is interesting because before I
bought
> my springs, I gave DMC Houston a call.  The man I spoke to (I don't
remember
> his name) said that he sells lowering kits but these only consisted
of lower
> front springs and nothing more>

>snip<
If someone really wanted to lower the rear, then they could save
themselves allot of money by doing the following:
Buy a set of front lowering springs and install them in the front,
take the old OEM front speings that were on the car and put them in
the rear.
Of course I would recomend buying the adjustable rear lower control
arms (to get proper alignment after lowering the rear), I forgot
which Delorean club member sold them...I think it may be Marty Maier?
If not than he is a member of that club and probably can supply the
correct info.

Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 19:29:52 -0000
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

This would probably settle alot of arguments. It would sort of be
like a Hot Rod contest...the Hot rods themselves used to be original
until they were modified and retrofitted with High performance
equipment and better looking accessories. :)

I'm would be into this.

Steve

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 14:38:53 EST
From: delorean31_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: N.Y. / Long Island DeLorean Owners

Well if you are looking for someone in Long Island to go look at a DeLorean
can you think of anyone better than Rob Grady?  His shop is there and I am
sure he would be happy to look it over for you

Gary Gore

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 14:45:04 EST
From: delorean31_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: [doc] Prototype

This is the same car and in the same location as the one the DeLorean Owners
Association sold pictures of.  In fact the pictures look the same.  They had
a note about it in the DeLorean Store on their website.  I believe Dick
Shipman took the pictures but it certainly the same car.  They could probably
tell you about it.  here is a link to their website with pictures and
infromation about it

http://www.delorean-owners.org/market/prototype.html

Gary Gore
Activities Director
DeLorean Mid Atlantic
VIN 3360

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 14:49:01 EST
From: delorean31_at_dml_aol.com

DeLorean Mid Atlantic recently created just such an award in memory of one
our members who passed away that enjoyed modifying and improving his
DeLorean.  It is called the Charles Muffley award and was recently presented
to Curtis at the Cleveland DeLorean Show for his outstanding customized DMC.
Plans are to award it at upcoming regional meets such as Cleveland and others.

Gary Gore
Activities Director
DeLorean Mid Atlantic
VIN 3360

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 15:22:49 EST
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: You think you have Storage problems

dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com writes:

<< This is probably similar to the conditions in which Nick P is trying to
reassemble his car.  >>

      Yeah that picture looks similar to how my frame looked a few days ago
before I got all the snow off of it.  Lucky for me, I have the body of my car
in my garage, so it won't get any snow on it.  Yesterday we got some more
snow, not a lot probably around 2 more inches.  Hopefully by the end of this
weekend I will be able to install my new tie rod ends and then be able to
finally have the front wheels in line with each other.  This thing was a pain
in the neck to move back and forth when the front wheels go were going in 2
different directions.

Later,
Nick
1852
Http://members.aol.com/njp548

Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 20:19:00 -0000
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Gold DeLorean for sale

FYI The 1983 Gold DeLorean is for sale in Maryland for $250,000.
VIN #20105. Check out the link:
http://bigtexas.com/dmc/gold/
Best wishes,
John Dore, Ireland.

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 15:43:14 -0500
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com>
Subject: Dealer stripe - what glue?

Hi,
I have to thank everyone who sent suggestions on how to remove the dealer
stripe. The answer was: heat gun, razor blade and a LOT of time. I was
afraid that the stripe would break... turned out not true. It came off no
problem.
Now that the stripe is off I need to glue it to the new fender. Can someone
suggest a glue that I should use. Does anyone know what was the original
glue? It's good, still holds after almost 20 years.

Thanks a lot
Tom Niemczewski
vin 6298
tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 16:51:23 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Gold DeLorean for sale

There was some discussion on the DML a while back about the gold car,
this one in particular and someone (Stian?) said that when it was
built the hood was damaged and a new one was gold-plated for it. I
said that I thought it was one of the doors, and from the looks of
the second photo in the link below, it was the door that was
re-plated and replaced. Also, this is NOT the only gold-plated car
with the tan interior, the one in the National Automobile Museum in
Reno, Nevada also has a tan interior.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 02:50:57
From: "Fronzel Neekburm" <MIst_hunter1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Octagon D - lets have a raffle!

John, thats the best idea i've read yet. It's a real good way to get some
publicity for the DML too. And some money on the side heck, it dersirves it
from the years of helping delorean owner young and old alike. And someone
very, very lucky person could win, and get their gull-wing car of their
dreams...
Who know what might happen.
John

                         __      __
                           \____/
                           /____\
                           0    0
                          DeLorean

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 16:52:09 -0600
From: "Mike & Ann Griese" <roscsyl_at_dml_millcomm.com>

Mike Atkinson wrote:

> Mike, If that were true, why would so many non-owners believe our cars are
worth many thousands more than they can be had for.<

Mike - It doesn't matter what other people think the
cars are worth - it matters what other people PAY.

Mike Griese
3335 County Road 15 SW
Byron, MN  55920
(507)281-1899

Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 19:25:11 -0500
From: "Scott Duke" <s1lvrdo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Great idea John, Ive got my 25.00 ready as well.  Innovative thinking and
excellent promotional idea.

Scott Duke

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 20:10:44 -0500
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Dealer stripe - what glue?

There might be a type of contact adhesive in a spray-can that would work,
but all of this that I have used before comes out too thick to do a good job
on a decal.  Perhaps someone can recommend a product.

Otherwise I suggest using contact cement that is meant to be thinned out
such as Barge.  Its very weather proof and doesn't turn to goo when the sun
hits it.  Use the thinner that you can buy with it and thin it down as much
as you can according to the directions.  Then spread a very thin coat on
both surfaces.  (Perhaps a paint gun would work if you could get it thin
enough.  I have used this process in gluing plastic laminate to cabinets,
but I used a thicker mixture that was more like what you would get out of a
spray can.)  Let the cement set up and then carefully stick it on.  You will
have only one chance to get it right, so you have to do it right the first
time.  Using some wax paper helps a lot in these types of situations, and it
will probably be a two person job.  I wouldn't worry about taping off the
fender too much when applying the glue since any residue can be cleaned up
with the thinner (provided it doesn't melt the decal.)

I've got a gallon of Barge cement & some spray guns if you are interested.

Walt

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 22:48:35 EST
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com

I understand that one of the Bill Collins prototypes was in Kentucky a few
years back, rotting in some guys back yard, is there any truth to this story?
 I think it was on the list back in 98?  Does anyone know the owner, or if
the car in question is still there?

Thanks
Andrew 4194

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 23:10:31 EST
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com
Subject: Shifter Emblem

Does anyone know where I can buy the emblem that is supposed to
go on the shifter for an 81 automatic DeLorean?  Is it a DMC symbol
or is it supposed to be something else?

Thanks for any help,

Richard

Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:45:09 -0500
From: Brian Henderlong <bhender1_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>

>FYI The 1983 Gold DeLorean is for sale in Maryland for $250,000.
>VIN #20105.  http://bigtexas.com/dmc/gold/

While looking at the photos on this site, I noticed that the door-sill VIN
plate appears to be missing.  Anyone know why?
- Brian Henderlong / Tampa, FL / 1995 DGGM
- DeLorean: http://home.tampabay.rr.com/deloreans/index.htm
- Impala SS: http://home.tampabay.rr.com/deloreans/brakes.htm