From: <dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 356
Date: Monday, January 08, 2001 8:00 AM

1. No Air
From: "W.D.SEARLS, JR." <Buckeye99_at_dml_copper.net>

2. Re: Octa. D - Lets have a raffle! Then Donate Some to Charity!
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>

3. Re: Re: Who wants to save the "hurt D"?
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

4. Custom Doorhandles
From: "JamesRG" <jamesrg_at_dml_btinternet.com>

5. Re: Octa. D - Lets have a raffle! Then Donate Some to Charity!
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: Octa. D... Then Donate Some to Charity!
From: "Tyler Graves" <graves_14_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Subject: Re: Re: Who wants to save the "hurt D"?
From: "Claude " <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>

8. SS Header (coolant) bottle
From: "Tyler Graves" <graves_14_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. An end to the shock and spring debacle? (LONG)
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

10. Re: Dealer stripe
From: rbrogren_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: Rocker cover gaskets
From: rbrogren_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: SS Header (coolant) bottle
From: delorean31_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: An end to the shock and spring debacle? (LONG)
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

14. Re: SS Header (coolant) bottle
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: No Air
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 01:29:01 -0500
From: "W.D.SEARLS, JR." <Buckeye99_at_dml_copper.net>
Subject: No Air

On my Delorean, when I run the interior blower fan it doesn't produce much
if any air at all. I tried both the heat and ac on fan speed 4 and very
little air comes out? What is problem? Do I have a broken tube somewhere?

Joel

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 12:42:03 -0600
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Octa. D - Lets have a raffle! Then Donate Some to Charity!

 "It's a real good way to get some publicity for the DML too. And some
money on the side heck, it dersirves it from the years of helping
delorean
owner young and old alike."

To add on to what John suggested for my idea, why not donate a portion
(maybe 25%-35%) of the money left over to St. Judes Children's Hospital,
 since they are a great charity and is located in the Memphis area!
Think of
how this great deed would impact the DeLorean World...maybe even give a
better light to JZD's public reputation if we can get him involved some
also!

--BTW, Matt, thanks for the inspiring note!
"then donate some/part/or all
to a selected charity"

I believe we have stumbled upon something HUGE!
Tell me what you think guys...especially you, Ken, after all,
you are organizing the '02 DeLorean Show!!!

Thanking the Lord for this could-be milestone,
Robert G.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 01:32:18 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Who wants to save the "hurt D"?

Robert,

Thanks for your positive comments.

Sincerely,
DMC Joe

"We're here to help you"

De Lorean Services / <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Web Site: (TEMPORARY)<www.geocities.com/dmcjoe>

Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 12:36:00 -0000
From: "JamesRG" <jamesrg_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Custom Doorhandles

Hi All,

I have just finished the prototype door handles I was making to replace my
old ones which recently broke. They are cast out of resin with 'DeLorean' in
the appropriate font cast in raised letters on the front. I would like to
know what people think of them so I have uploaded a picture to the egroups
site under 'custom door handles

Apologies for picture quality and bear in mind these are the first working
prototypes and they require some cleaning up.

cheers

James RG

Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 12:55:28 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

We are planning to stop by the St Jude Hospital and we are working on some
sort of donation but at this point I do not have the specifics.  Bruce
Battles had come up with the idea and a few people I am working with agree
its a good idea.   I have yet to work the details out but it will be part of
the Friday driving tour.

we want to make a presentation there hopefully with press coverage.

I am open to suggestions

Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 20:57:29 -0000
From: "Tyler Graves" <graves_14_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Octa. D... Then Donate Some to Charity!

You may all think that I am a rotten person for saying this, but this
is really heading in the wrong direction. I don't mind giving money
for charity and all, in fact I give over %50 of my money to the
government which a majority is ultimatly redirected to 'charity'...
but lets leave that for another group to discuss. My interest is
saving the D, and perhaps making some money for MYSELF that can (and
most likely will) be used for my D. I personally would rather give
$400 bucks and see that the D is fixed up and donated to a museum or
something. If that doesn't work out, then it should be parted out to
the donators in some fair fashion. I have a problem with the raffle
because my money would be used to fund a D that someone else is
driving around. No one person should benefit from saving the Octa.
DeLorean.

Tyler (bad person)

Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 20:58:25 -0000
From: "Claude " <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Subject: Re: Re: Who wants to save the "hurt D"?

Does anybody know WHAT vin # that delorean is,if it is a VERY low vin
number (in the 500-648 series vin number)then it should BE saved no
matter what,if somebody could find out what the vin # is,or knows
what the vin number is,that would MAKE a big difference in the
restoration value of that car,also I have every part to fix that
Delorean,(I am not selling the parts at this time)but cannot afford
to buy it at this time,for me it would be worth it, even at that
price,to restore,because the only cost would be my labor,and the
price of the car.

Claude
Vin#000570

Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 21:02:03 -0000
From: "Tyler Graves" <graves_14_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: SS Header (coolant) bottle

Hi all, I am looking for a Stainless Steel header bottle. DMC Houston
sells them, but they are black. I have seen them bare metal, and was
wondering if anyone knew where to get one? I have to replace some
hoses, and this would be a great time to upgrade my plastic one. I
have yet to ask Grady if they have any... anybody know?

Thanks!

Tyler

Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 17:27:01 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: An end to the shock and spring debacle? (LONG)

shock/spring issue:

>I've heard variations on the theme regarding minimum height requirements.
>Some say it was bumper height; others say it was headlight height.  I think
>the correct answer can be found in the book 'Grand Delusions'.  I remember
>reading about it in this book, but for the life of me I can't remember if it
>was bumper or headlight.  If I remember correctly, I think the book was
>ambigious.  Does anyone know for sure AND can proove it?

Other than trivia value, what difference does it make? Fact is the
front was raised.

>The fact that you got 4 new springs is interesting because before I bought
>my springs, I gave DMC Houston a call.  The man I spoke to (I don't remember
>his name) said that he sells lowering kits but these only consisted of lower
>front springs and nothing more.  And he did not recommend lowering the rear
>either.  He also said that he was out of stock and to call back in several

On this point you are without a doubt, unequivocally MISTAKEN.
Perhaps you called DeLorean Motor Center in Garden Grove (sometimes
referred to as DMC). The ONLY lowering kit we have sold consists of
FOUR springs, it's the ONLY way to do it correctly. ANYONE who tells
you otherwise is cutting corners, which as I'll explain a bit further
along, the SAME thing the original De Lorean Motor Company did.

>originally thought that the rear should be lowered as well, but Rob Grady
>talked me out of it.  He said that he thought that the extra weight of

(SNIP)

>months ago, so I'm curious to know what the DMC Houston rear springs are
>like.  Can anyone say if they are lower or softer or stiffer?  Or maybe they
>are just new springs that meet OEM geometry?

>I do not think of springs as a 'wear item'.  I have heard of similar springs

This is where you are wrong, PARTICULARLY on DeLoreans. Both the
front and rear stock springs on a DeLorean are made of an inferior
type of metal (witness Walt's broken spring) that literally sags over
time. Anyone who remembers the line of cars at the Cleveland show,
did you look at the height of them side by side? It was wavier than a
stock market graph. Look at a half-dozen DeLoreans with stock front
springs side by side and if you have two that are the same height,
you'll be doing very well.

Want proof? Look at the Service Bulletin that covers setting
alignment. It gives the specifications for the ride height, front and
rear crossmembers distance to the ground should be 5.5". On a car
with stock springs you ALWAYS have to add weight to the front to
achieve this height, because the stock springs sit too high,
particularly on low-mileage cars. On a high mileage car, it will
still sit high, but not as much because the springs will have
literally uncoiled over the past twenty years of use. We see it all
the time when we replace shocks here in Houston. As for the rear, the
springs will sag over time due to the significant weight in the rear
of the car. The reason people say you don't need to lower the rear is
because THE STOCK REAR SPRINGS ARE ALREADY out of spec because of
sagging and sit lower. The fact that they are sagging affects the
handling and ride significantly. WIth our front and rear springs
installed, using correct spec tires and assuming the rest of your
suspension is unaltered and in good condition, the crossmembers are
5.5"from the ground both in the front and rear.

As an example of the ride improvement with our springs, when I
replaced the them on my car, the difference was IMMEDIATELY
noticeable when I would drive over a speed bump - it no longer
sounded and felt like the rear of the car "fell off" the edge of the
speed bump. The horrendous "thunk" as I drove over them was gone,
because I had rear springs that were new and made of a higher quality
material. Additionally, I noticed a marked improvement in handling,
particularly when "throwing" the car around corners at higher speeds.
The new springs didn't compress as much, and therefore kept the car
on track better.

When we decided to do a suspension improvement kit, we wanted to do
it the right way, and not make a "cheapie" set of front springs only
kit. The idea was to create an suspension upgrade that would deliver
optimum handling first and foremost - the fact that the car was
lowered in the process is just a by-product. Cosmetics weren't the
focus, performance was the goal. We created a new set of front and
rear springs that make the car level, front and rear, on any
DeLorean. Rather than use the same material that the original De
Lorean Motor Company used (remember, they were little different than
GM or Ford, if they could save a few bucks on each spring, that was
$8-$12 per car, and they envisioned building 30,000 cars a year -
$240M-$360M in savings!), we used a higher quality metal that would
neither sag under load nor uncoil over time (100% 'memory'
retention!). We were also fortunate to have access to the original
engineers. I told the story earlier on the DML about how after Colin
Chapman drove one of the DeLorean prototypes with a proposed spring
setup, the engineers were instructed to re-do their work as the
DeLorean outhandled the then-current Esprit.

The resulting product is a superior, four-corner performance
suspension/lowering spring set that does far more than just lower the
car - it improves the handling, makes for easier and more accurate
alignments (therefore possibly improving tire wear), and when used in
conjunction with the new shocks (described in more detail below) and
proper tires makes for a DeLorean than we contend outhandles any car
in it's class, and as well as many modern cars, including the Audi TT.

>If you go to all the trouble to replace your rear springs, (it's a tedious
>and potentially dangerous job getting the springs compressed depending on
>your experience and tools available) I highly recommend replacing the shocks
>while you are at it.  You can't remove one without removing the other.

Stock front DeLorean shocks have been generally unavailable for the
past year or so. Stock rear shocks are still readily available for
the time being. Again, we decided to search for a replacement front
shock, we didn't want to do a "cheapie" kit and modify some other
shock intended for some other application.

We went back to the same company in the UK that did our spring set,
and asked them to CUSTOM MANUFACTURE a set of front AND rear shocks
for the DeLorean, that would work in conjunction with either our
lowering springs or the stock springs and provide the best ride
quality, performance handling and long life. After several months,
they came back with a custom set of shocks that blew us away. Our
shocks aren't cheap, but they are the best. And whether you use them
in conjunction with our lowered performance suspension springs or a
stock setup, you will definitely notice a difference in ride quality
and handling. And you'll be doing it the RIGHT way without spacers,
collars, or other questionable practices.

I've said it before and it applies here as well - if you nickel and
dime your car, it will nickel and dime you! De Lorean Motor Company
has come up with a long list of improved items for the DeLorean, and
the idea we have in mind with each of them is NOT to come up with the
cheapest product that simply does the job. We want the best product
for the job, that will provide excellent, not just adequate results.
If any of us wanted an "adequate" car, we wouldn't have bought
DeLoreans!

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1

Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 18:57:14 EST
From: rbrogren_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Dealer stripe

>Now that the stripe is off I need to glue it to the new fender. Can someone
>suggest a glue that I should use. Does anyone know what was the original
>glue? It's good, still holds after almost 20 years.

If nothing but the best will do, I suggest you give 3M a call. I have seen
several articles over the years where they have supported automotive
restoration projects and their Tech Service people are usually very helpful.
Either the Adhesives or Automotive Trades Division will be able to help.
I don't have any phone numbers handy, but if you are seriously interested I
think I could find the right phone number for you if you e-mail me.
Roger Brogren
(rbrogren 'at' aol.com)

Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 19:42:57 EST
From: rbrogren_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Rocker cover gaskets

 My advice: Don't do it!
In the old days when the valve cover gaskests were easy to reach there was
room for experimentation, but I certainly wouldn't want to make a habit out
of replacing the covers on the D!
Buy the gaskets from DMC Houston or a Volvo dealer as an option.

Also, there is a heck of a difference between replacing head gaskets and
valve cover gaskets! (It would be interesting to know how to run an engine
one minute after replacing a head gasket, as evidently the manufacturer
claims. Or was that a typo?)

Roger
1074

I was planning on replacing my rocker cover gaskets soon. But I had a

Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 21:19:36 EST
From: delorean31_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: SS Header (coolant) bottle

I believe PJ Grady's header bottle is made of stainless steel and polished to
look almost like chrome.  Looks nice.  Give them a call for more information

www.pjgrady.com

Gary Gore

Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 21:21:32 -0500
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: An end to the shock and spring debacle? (LONG)

Wow!  Thanks James.  That was very educational about the springs.

I would like to know if the PJ Grady front springs & custom shocks are made
by the same outfit that makes DMC Houston's.  If I bought only the rear
springs from DMC Houston, would they match with the front springs I already
bought from PJ Grady?  Since I recently got my new rear shocks on, I hate to
take it apart again just to replace the springs.  But the rear driver's side
of my car does sit about 6mm lower than the right.  The lower side is the
one that had the chard break off the spring too.  I think it has gotten
worse since I compressed the springs to change the shocks.  Since the new
shocks are adjustable, I could lower the right to compensate, but I would
rather fix the root of the problem.  I feel like I'm the only one who
notices, but to me it is painfully obvious from a distance.

Can anyone recommend the best tool to compress the rear springs?  The one I
borrowed from Pep Boys is good enough to get the spring compressed to change
the shock, but I don't recommend using it to decompress or compress a spring
while it is off of the car.  It would be do-able, but rather awkward and
needlessly time consuming.  I couldn't find anything better for sale from
Pep Boys, Discount Auto or NAPA.  I think the best tool would be the
duck-bill variety, but I couldn't find one anywhere.  I haven't tried Mac
Tool or Snap-On.  If they had retail outlets, I would buy a lot more of
their stuff.

Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 21:56:04 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Tyler, I got mine from P.J.Grady

Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 03:04:01 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: No Air

The most common cause of your problem is that the rotation of the fan
is wrong. Try reversing the wires going to your fan motor and see if
the trouble is solved. Also as you change fan speeds you should notice
a different amount of airflow. If this is nor the case the causes are
a bad fan speed switch, incorrect wiring, bad relays. Another thing to
note is that the car should have the higher rated fan and cooling fan
circuit breakers installed to prevent cycling.