From: <dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 359
Date: Tuesday, January 09, 2001 10:48 PM

1. Re: Delorean Service - Garden Grove (Los Angeles) Any comments?
From: Chris Spratt <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>

2. Re: Escaping from a rolled DeLorean
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_ketchum.com>

3. Re: problem solved
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

4. Re: Escaping from a rolled DeLorean
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

5. Re: a/c blower performace observations (long)
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

6. Re: Inertia switch/Lambda
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

7. Re: Escaping from a rolled DeLorean
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

8. Re: Delorean Service - Garden Grove (Los Angeles) Any comments?
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

9. DeLorean Meeting/Party in Central Ohio
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

10. Finding information in back issues
From: rbrogren_at_dml_aol.com

11. Carpet
From: ratfink_at_dml_erols.com

12. Re: Inertia switch update
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. Re: Delorean _at_dml_ L.A. Auto Show 2006
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Escaping from a rolled DeLorean
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

15. Parts 4 sale
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Re: a/c blower performace observations (long)
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Delorean Service - Garden Grove (Los Angeles) Any comments?
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

18. Re: Escaping from a rolled DeLorean
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Procours D'Coolness (an alternative to Concours)
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: Re: Escaping from a rolled DeLorean
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

21. Re: Carpet, High Performance PRV6
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

22. Re: Re: Escaping from a rolled DeLorean
From: CIAsleeper22_at_dml_aol.com

23. Hydraulic Doors on DeLorean?
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

24. Re: Delorean _at_dml_ L.A. Auto Show 2006
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>

25. Re: Delorean Service - Garden Grove (Los Angeles) Any comments?
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:26:05 +0000 (GMT+00:00)
From: Chris Spratt <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Delorean Service - Garden Grove (Los Angeles) Any comments?

Don Steger at DeLorean Motor Centre is in Garden Grove. His Number is 714 554 6794

Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 11:54:21 -0500
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_ketchum.com>
Subject: Re: Escaping from a rolled DeLorean

Let's say we kill two birds with one stone.  Please someone buy the
Octagon Auto car and roll it over... =)

-Dave Stragand
http://www.ProjectVixen.com/
VIN# 05927

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 11:30:58 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: problem solved

The idle speed motor (auxiliary air valve) used on the Volvo 260 GLE 79-83
and 760 GLE 84-87 is compatible with the Delorean application.

"We're here to help you"

Web Site: (TEMPORARY)<www.geocities.com/dmcjoe>

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 12:04:04 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

From Stainless Steel Illusion:

"DMC engineers claimed that during crash testing the instance of both doors
jamming shut never occurred. What happens in an accident in which the car
ends up upside down? DMC stated the chance of such an accident happening is
slim, which is true, though it is a natural thought once you are closed up
inside the gullwing door. The company said that when a car is placed upside
down on its roof on a blacktop highway a 160 lb. man was able to release the
door and wiggle out. If both doors jammed shut, DMC claimed it was possible
to kick out the non-laminated safety glass side window to escape."

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 12:26:24 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: a/c blower performace observations (long)

There is a very easy solution to this problem: purchase the blower from your
favorite DeLorean supplier and you will get the right motor, with the right
squirrel cage, turning in the right direction.

Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 17:45:26 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Re: Inertia switch/Lambda

The reason for moving the inertia switch to the left side wall was
that it tends to "false" in the original location, i.e. you hit a
pothole and poof - the doors unlock and the fuel pump turns off. A
little too exciting for most people. You should move it.

The lambda counter has to be removed from the car to reset it. On the
side there is a small round thing with two depressions. Put a paper
clip or such in the two depressions and turn it until the counter
reads 000. You should of course replace the Oxygen sensor at the same
time, that's what it is trying to tell you.

Dave Swingle

Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 17:33:29 -0000
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

Yes I wear my seat belt...that answer I gave was the same answer I
read off of an older DML post, I don't remeber what post number it
was or what date, just that it stuck in my mind for some reason. In a
rool over the windshield is weaken from the weight of the car sitting
on the roof, loosening it from that grey/black goop that hold it in
place. If your stuck in your D and can't get out and there is no help
around this is likely the only alternative way to go, kicking at
leats one of the windows out. If your stuck you are going to find a
way out on your own...your not going to just sit there. Like the old
saying goes, where there is a will there's a way. Hopefully noone
will ever have to go through that in their life time. Life Hammers,
fire extiguishers (mounted somewhere not just thrown into your car
somewhere), bricks, tire iron...whatever....carry something heavy so
you can smash out any window large enough to pull yourself through.
If you don't have any of those than you can take your chance with
kicking it out. Your foot shouldn't "go through" the front windshield
that easily since it has a heavy saftey lamintion on it, the window
should give away first before going through it. On the other hand...I
don't know if the side windows are laminated? Your argument about
your leg going through the windshield would also hold true if you
were kicking out the side windows. They too are held into place
possibly with the same "goop" that's on the windshield.

As for the doors acting like cantelivers...it probably can lift the
car up enough to get out....but you have to keep a constant force on
the door or try to open it fully to wedge it open to keep the car
proped up. If not then as your trying to get out the weight of the
car will close the door and if your still in the process of getting
out....bigger problems.

I don't think that he Delorean is as easy to flip as any other car
due to the design of it. Width of the car, center of gravity,
ect....would take alot to flip one is my guess. Saying that, the
Bricklin is alot narrower than the delorean...be a little easier to
flip than a D...but I could be wrong since the only expierience I've
had with a Bricklin is in pictures. The manual windows probably
wouldn't even work in the Bricklin since there is a possibilty that
the door would be distorted/ crushed by the flip. But like I said,
anything is possible

Opening the doors under water? that's a good question, it may be a
little easier than a conventional car door since you are assisted by
a torsion bar and the struts. But one never knows.

Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 17:38:57 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

DeLorean Motor Center is Don Steger. Very good to deal with, very
competent tech. The Midwest club brings him in once a year for on-
site work on cars.

The reason there are so many of "these" cars in Texas is that is
where the (oil) money is (or at least was). And a lot of wide open
spaces to drive them.

Dave Swingle

Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 14:50:09 -0500
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: DeLorean Meeting/Party in Central Ohio

The DeLorean Club of Ohio is having its annual meeting / holiday party
this Saturday at Salt Fork Resort.  It is located in Central Ohio off
I-77.  The meeting starts around noon in the Lodge dining room.  We will
be having a meal with the meeting.

For those who want to spend the night (like me) the Lodge features an
indoor pool, and there are cabins available.  Because this is a State
Park Resort in the offseason, rates are reasonable.  The Park office can
be reached at (740) 439-3521.

More information is available at:
http://www.ohioparks.net/saltfork/

Please RSVP to me if you are coming.  You can email or call me (my phone
number is in the DeLorean Owner's Directory).  I recommend that you give
me a phone number at which you can get a message Friday night or
Saturday morning; this is just in case the meeting gets snowed out,
which has happened before.

- Mike Substelny
DeLorean Club of Ohio

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 13:42:10 EST
From: rbrogren_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Finding information in back issues

Subject: a/c blower performance observations (long)
In his response to the subject today, Walt wrote in his last paragraph:

> I tried searching the back issues, but couldn't find anything about it, so I
> had to figure all this stuff out for myself the hard way.

I am guessing, but I think about 70% of the dmcnews postings are somewhat
interesting and of a somewhat acute interest of the "nice to know" variety,
10% is nonsense, 10% is valuable and another 10% is INVALUABLE when you have
that particular kind of trouble with your D.

In his last sentence Walt nailed it right on the head!

Information available in the back issues represent an enormous value, but if
you are looking for help on a specific problem it will take a week or more to
find it, assuming that you know that there is SOMETHING there SOMEWHERE.

Over the last couple of months I have saved the e-mail distribution of
dmcnews and made a feeble attempt to cut, paste and "catalogize" any and all
valuable and invaluable information, indexed to the DMC Service Manual
chapters. With the time I have available I now realize that completion would
take a lifetime, particularly if I get into the back issues!

Occasionally there is a well researched, factual and weIl written posting
(this one by Walt is a good example). I am sure that I am not the only one
that appreciate the value of what we have here, but:
Am I "reinventing the wheel"?
Is somebody already doing this?
Is there a better way?

(Repeating Walt's first sentence above: "If this information is repeated
elsewhere in the DML, then I apologize for posting it again".!)
:-)
Roger

Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 19:54:55 -0000
From: ratfink_at_dml_erols.com
Subject: Carpet

What are owners doing for a replacement for the passenger side sill
carpet(gray)?  I understand that isn't available from the normal parts
suppliers. Also are there any updates on the DMC Houston performance
engine? Last I heard they had a 197hp version, but were working on
more power. Will they ever be available for automatic cars?

Thanks,
Dennis Lowery
Vin. 4797

Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 20:28:41 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Inertia switch update

It is possible that someone already replaced the switch but without
the white mark there is no way to verify. Also since the switch is
still by the Lambda counter it is most likely that, 1 you need to
replace the inertia switch and 2 move it to the area in front of the
bonnet release.
On the Lambda counter all it does is light the warning light in the
dash to remind you that 30,000 have elapsed. At that point you are to
adjust the valves, tune-up the motor, and replace the O2 sensor. When
completed reset the counter. To do that get a paper clip, bend it into
a "U". On the side of the counter is a screw with 2 small holes in the
head, place the ends of the clip into the holes and rotate until the
counter is reset. You can also use the paper clip to test the light.
Just remove the wires and jumper with the clip.( makesure the key is
on).

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 15:31:24 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Delorean _at_dml_ L.A. Auto Show 2006

Any Ideas where to have the 25th in 2006
I haven't chosen a location yet for the DeLorean Car Show 2006 but I have a
few places in mind already.

Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 20:42:48 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

If I was still concious and had the presence of mind I think I would
first try to open the door. Just imagine hanging upside-down by your
seat belt, when you cut it you will wind up lying on the ceiling. All
you need to really complete this if it hasn't already happened is to
have small pieces of glass everywhere. If the door isn't jammed then
you ought to be able to force it open enough to get out. As you open
the door it will force the car over giving enough room to escape. If
the inertia switch worked and unlocked the doors then a passerby could
open the door from outside. BTW some seatbelts will not release if
there is force on them, to get out you MUST cut the belt that way if
you are upside-down you won't injure yourself further by unfastening
the belt. The first responders are supposed to extricate trapped
occupants. Maybe we should paint a big X on the bottom of the car and
say RESCUE-CUT HERE.

Just my sense of dark humor

Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 21:09:32
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Parts 4 sale

Hello there,
I still have some parts which I would like to find a new home for...
If interested, drop me a line...these are parts from my DeLorean after my
upgrading/restoration.

1 Washerbottle with metal cap and motor (motor defect).

1 Washerbottle tray.

1 Dim/wiper switch. Everything works, but the indicators don't return
automatically.

2 door lock solenoids - working, I just replaced them to be on the safe
side. There is one for the left side and one for the right side.

1 original door lock module!

1 original plastic clutch line.

2 roof door seals, with metal plates and new plastic. (I made a mistake and
ordered 2 so I have this spare)

All the original relays, some underrated, but what you need for concours I
guess.

Please e-mail me privately if you could use some of this. I'd like to sell
it all in one lot, but will split up if necessary.

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:45:41 EST
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

DMC Joe,
As always you were RIGHT in your advise.
Bruce Battles
Vin # 06569

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:44:02 EST
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

Jeremy,
Try Don S. at Delorean Motor Center (714-554-6794). He is located at 13881
West Street, Garden Grove, CA. I would trust Don with my D any day. In fact
the previous owner of my car used him. I have met and talked to Don various
times. Before I ever bought a Delorean I spent 45 min with him on the phone.
He was nice and answered all of my questions. A truly honest and good man.
Check the repair shop list on the DML for other places that may be closer to
you, but Don will treat you right.
Bruce Battles
Vin# 06569

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 17:25:44 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

*****  Moderator's Note *****
We have established that the way to exit an overturned DeLorean is
to kick glass...  Please consider this thread closed.

This subject has come up before on the DML.  Consensus:
1. because of the low and wide shape of the D,  in the unlikely event of a
rollover it will usually land right side up.
2. the inertia switch is designed to unlock the doors (and turn off the fuel
pump,) in case of a crash,  so at least you're not dealing with that.
3. look at the outside front edge of the windshield... it looks like there's
no frame around the bottom edge.  That's to facilitate kicking out the front
windshield in case emergency egress is necessary.
4. You can't roll down the windows wide enough to escape in a hurry, so
personally, I carry my big, honkin' adjustable wrench in the glove box just
in case.  In ANY car, doors could be damaged in a rollover, or even a side
impact, causing them to be jammed shut. I should know, I rolled over my very
first car :*(  It was high and narrow, and I was young and foolish!  At least
I was sober.

-Wayne

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 15:29:30 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Procours D'Coolness (an alternative to Concours)

For those of you that have followed this thread the Idea that Walter had
expressed (his comments are below) is an idea that we are trying to cultivate
in the DeLorean Car Show.  It is to get as many people as involved as we can
and to grow the organization and recognize people for their different
appreciation of the DeLorean.  Obviously a concourse person (me included)
like the cars as they came off the line. Curtis on the other hand had a whole
new set of rules and his car is to say the least different.  He showed
excellent design and manufacturing and is the best example of how custom you
can make a DeLorean if you so choose.  And of course we have everything in
between.

Walter is new as you can read below and I know there are a number of other
people on the list that are too.  I would encourage you to get involved with
the car and find the part you like whether it be Concourse, modified, daily
dirver or whatever.

Thanks for puttin up with my comments and hope to see you all in Memphis

In a message dated 1/9/01 10:57:34 AM Eastern Standard Time, Whalt_at_dml_att.net
writes:

<< My question is to Walter
 >Have you seen Curtis Car and were you at the show when we awarded the
 Charles
 >Mufley Award.  If so any comments.

 I'm pretty new to the Delorean scene (as of Feb '00) and have only been to a
 show in Georgia and a few local things.  I plan on going to some of the big
 shows in the future.  It probably will be next year before I can get the
 time. >>

Ken
<A HREF="http://deloreancarshow.com">DeLorean Car Show Inc.</A>

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 18:00:30 -0800
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Escaping from a rolled DeLorean

The Bricklin I had originally had the hydraulic doors but the pump/motor was
in the shop every week. Personally I was concerned about getting out of the
Bricklin every time I got into it until I installed the air doors.

Bruce Benson

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:34:59 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Carpet, High Performance PRV6

We expect the carpet situation to be sorted out this spring/summer
after the warehouse move. If there truly are no more passenger side
sills left, we are in the beginning stages to create an exact
reproduction.

The performance engine is available for automatics, in fact, we will
be displaying the first automatic "test" car with the new engine at
the Tech Day with the Arizona Club in Mesa, AZ on Saturday, January
20th. This car also features the new performance suspension shocks
and springs, and HID headlamps. Maybe Randal or Ryan will post a
general message to the DML about the upcoming event.

The electronic fuel injection version of the high performance engine
is still in development in the UK, but I think we might have a test
version ready for our Open House in Houston this June.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 19:59:51 EST
From: CIAsleeper22_at_dml_aol.com

***** Moderator's Note *****
This posting came in moments after the rollover thread closed.  I have
sent this through because the author has first hand experience of a
rolled DeLorean.  Please search the archives for any additional information
regarding this incident.

I was unfortunately present shortly after the riot on campus at MSU where the
DeLorean had been flipped. It belonged to a girl named Claire who was more or
less a friend of a friend of mine. The car had been flipped over by a mob of
people (drunk 20 year-olds) and fortunately no one was in side. The gullwings
managed to come open on their own and were slightly open, definately enough
for a decent sized person to manage to squeeze out. However this car was
parked, and flipped by hand by a mob of people. If the car was doing 75 mph
on the highway and lost control and rolled several times the outcome might be
significantly different.

Just thought Id share some first-hand experience with witnessing a rolled D.
It was indeed a sad sight to see.

Justin
5172
Houston TX

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 17:46:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: Hydraulic Doors on DeLorean?

Has anyone ever thought about replacing the gas struts on the delorean
with hydraulics? It seems that the benefits to this would be that the
doors would always open to their full height (no drooping) and that they
could be opened and closed by means of a remote control, or other electric
controls. The only cons I can think of would be having to add a hydraulic
system somewhere in the already small car, and the cost of doing this. Any
thoughts?

-Christian

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 20:54:34 -0500
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>

Williamsburg, Virginia sounds good to me....

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 21:06:28 -0800
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

Don is originally from the Twin City area and I've had several opportunities
to talk with him and observe tech sessions he's done. I think Don is as
honest and knowledgeable a DeLorean expert as any out there. He's maintained
a rather low profile and I think he deserves recognition as one of the
premier Delorean experts we're fortunate to have.

Bruce Benson