From: <dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 376
Date: Sunday, January 21, 2001 12:09 AM

1. RE: Delorean Clock
From: "Michael C. Babb, MCSE, MCT, MCP-I, CNA" <michael_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>

2. Re: Kansas City car pics (was: Foolishness with numbers)
From: "TMasterLC_at_dml_msn.com" <tmasterlc_at_dml_msn.com>

3. Re: "rare" automatic D (wasFoolishness with numbers...)
From: "Robert Rooney" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

4. Re: Delorean Clock
From: "Robert Rooney" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

5. Re: cross-drilled brake rotor update
From: "Robert Rooney" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

6. Re: Delorean Clock
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Re: Aftermarket Mode Switch?
From: "Vicky Miller" <delo1_at_dml_mindspring.com>

8. Re: cross-drilled brake rotors
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

9. Good or bad thing to buy a car that was maintained with no upgrades?
From: "delorean" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

10. Re: Re: cross-drilled brake rotor update
From: fjk143_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: Delorean Clock
From: raddad_at_dml_cmn.net

12. Re: Was"rare" automatic now bonnet latch
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. ADMIN: List Posting HINTS
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

14. Subject: Delorean Clock
From: jeremysmail_at_dml_softhome.net

15. Fan Fail Relay
From: badgeman46_at_dml_hotmail.com

16. Re: Delorean Clock - modification
From: CIAsleeper22_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Subject: Delorean Clock
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

18. Re: Raddad (Delorean Clock)
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: cross-drilled brake rotor update
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_ketchum.com>

20. Re: Subject: Delorean Clock
From: Henry Breer <hbreer_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

21. Re: Project Delorean Site Overhauled!
From: jus4sho_at_dml_aol.com

22. Re: Delorean Clock
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

23. Battery Straps.
From: "Robert Rooney" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

24. "rare"automatic D (wasFoolishness with numbers...)
From: hrlyrngr1_at_dml_aol.com

25. DeLorean Australia website
From: "Rick Haslewood" <delorean_at_dml_zipworld.com.au>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 02:52:21 -0500
From: "Michael C. Babb, MCSE, MCT, MCP-I, CNA" <michael_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>
Subject: RE: Delorean Clock

Just checked the Millennium:The DeLorean MotorCompany Concours judging
handbook, and based on that, it should only be up to VIN 6158.

Anyone else have a car between 6158 and 64xx that has a clock in front of
the shifter?

Michael

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 13:11:22 -0600
From: "TMasterLC_at_dml_msn.com" <tmasterlc_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Kansas City car pics (was: Foolishness with numbers)

Re: the Kansas City car on this link http://www.kcimports.com/81Delorean

It's obviously not the same car in each photo.  The first photo has a gas flap, black interior, and front license plate while all of the other photos do not... I guess they magically disappeared or changed color!

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 11:46:01 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: "rare" automatic D (wasFoolishness with numbers...)

Perhaps the spring inside of the latch itslef is worn?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, Jan van de Wouw <Jan_at_dml_v...> wrote:
> Brian wrote:
<SNIP>
This probably helps popping the trunk; I think I'll do something

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 11:49:15 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

My vin is 6585, and I have the clock as well. Maybe this could be
something to add to the production chronology, or perhaps start a
poll for?

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 12:31:24 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: cross-drilled brake rotor update

I have the same cross drilled rotors as well. I can say this: Car
wise, braking is improved. Especially when you add semi-metalic pads
to the formula. However, there is one major drawback, and that is the
DeLorean itself. With the majority of wieght in the rear of the car,
hard braking from moderate speeds is not for the faint of heart! In
stop and go traffic, braking is better for when people cut in front
of you suddenly. Namely SUV's and such. However at higher speeds
there is no advantage. I have found that at 35mph+ I can't simply
stop in a straight line. I constantly have to steer to correct my
car. And on one occasion I even spun around. One way to cure this is
with a set of good tires. But even here there's a down side. I've
found that with the Yokohama AVS tires, they have to heat up first in
order to grip properly. Warm Yoko's on wet roads do better then cold
one's on dry pavement. So you do have to let them warm up a bit
before you get the maximum benefits from your car. I don't know about
Cooper tires though. Does anyone here have some info on them? But in
any case, the x-drilled rotors alone will not be a cure-all solution
to improve braking. They need to work together with good struts,
pads, tires, and a driver. I too have the same problem with
squealing. When ever my car brakes it sounds like a whailing banshee.
Kind of fitting in a way :p

Bottom line: If you enjoy getting a little more excitement out of
your car then usual, x-drilled rotors are something you should tag
for your future wishlist along with other performance items. I'm sure
that x-drilled rotors will improve the resale value of your car
somewhat. But then chances are you probably won't be selling the car
if you're willing to go this far to improve it.

If your car is mainly for regular daily driving or less, I'd skip the
rotors. If you have a little extra cash and want to improve braking
for your car, buy a new mastercylinder, semi-metalic brake pads, and
seal kits to service your calipers. This alone should net you some
improvement along while giving the system a good servicing. SS brake
lines may not be a bad idea either while you're at it.

I treat my cross drilled rotors as a tool to help my car rather then
an invitation to go faster. Like I said, they aren't a cure all.

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 12:43:31
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>

My DeLorean also had the clock (VIN # 6759) when I got it, but it was not
supposed to have the clock (according to the factory files) because of the
high VIN. I've now changed the console so I have no clock now (besides
there's a clock on the radio unit).

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 08:34:24 -0500
From: "Vicky Miller" <delo1_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Aftermarket Mode Switch?

hello all/   in reference to the mode switch/ i have a source for brand new
switches. drop me a line if you need one. bob miller

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 08:46:35 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: cross-drilled brake rotors

In a message dated 1/19/01 9:20:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, Whalt_at_dml_att.net
writes:

<< Does anyone have any ideas or experiences concerning
 cross-drilled rotors that they would like to share? >>

Ask Don at DeLorean Motor Center in Garden Grove, CA. Phone: 714-554-6794.
I haven't done it, but I believe I've read a couple times that he does.

-Wayne

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 10:02:33 -0500
From: "delorean" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Good or bad thing to buy a car that was maintained with no upgrades?

Hi everyone...

I am continuing on my search to buy a car, and I have found one that is in IMMACULATE condition!  I mean the engine i so clean that you eat off of it.  The pcitures he sent me and from what he told me has made me have me VERY excited!  The owner has kept it perfect for the whole time he owned the car (14 years).  The only thing is that he has kept the car as close to original as possible.  He has fixed any known problems, but never modified the car with any enhanced parts (lowered suspension, radio, etc...)  The car is an 83.  I think I am going to buy it pending my in person visual inspection, but I was just wondering if there is anything to be aware of...should I be concerned about anything not being updated to newer parts?

Thanks

delorean_at_dml_abato.net

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 10:28:11 EST
From: fjk143_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: cross-drilled brake rotor update

Cross drilling is a factor in cooling in race applications to prevent fade
and also in the wet as it reduces the time the brake pad floats on the water
film as the water film is dispersed not only outward but also into the holes.
 In race applications or on a motorcycle it is a big deal.  On a street car
it is so-so and mostly for boy racer looks.   Many modern street Ferraris and
Porsches did NOT have drilled or slotted rotors.  It is often a waste of
money with poor results.

Fred
6894 since new; now in Houston for Stages 1 and 2; 9,000 miles

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 08:46:24 -0700
From: raddad_at_dml_cmn.net

My first DeLorean (#6350) had a the clock installed and I bought it new.

Dick Ryan

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 16:40:08 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Was"rare" automatic now bonnet latch

There are several things that you can do in this area. First add an
emergency release cable(the pull cable tends to break at the handle
due to flexing). There are 2 springs in the latch, shorten the upper
one slightly. Check that the stop bumpers are just touching the
bonnet(hood to us americans) and the restraining brackets are lined
up
so as to engage in the event of an accident.

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 16:59:34 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: ADMIN: List Posting HINTS

I have to toss this one up once in a while. Common reminders about
posting to the list.

PLEASE TRIM QUOTES. Posting a three-line reply with a copy of 300
lines from the prior 3 emails is very bad list form. It increases
everyone's download time, and makes searching the archives very
cumbersome. I have been trimming quotes like crazy this week. Not all
of the moderators are as patient. This takes enough time as it is.

PLEASE WATCH REPLIES. When you hit "reply" in your email program to a
[DML] post, it goes back to the list. If you want to avoid an
embarrassing situation (sometimes we catch them, sometimes we don't)
please pay attention to where your mail is going if you are intending
a private reply. You can see it in the address line at the top as you
write.

PLEASE WATCH SUBJECT LINES. When replying to a "digest", change the
subject line to match the subject. When a topic has drifted to a
different subject, please change the subject line to something
appropriate.

PLEASE CHECK THE ARCHIVES. We realize that new people come on to the
list all the time. We suggest that you a)monitor the list for a while
to get a feel for it, and b) read and search the backissue archive
and the FAQ. These are both available at www.dmcnews.com, and the
more recent backissues are avaialble at
http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews
---Of course the people I'm addressing on this one are those that
post common questions about 5 minues after joining the list, and they
won't be reading this because they aren't here yet.  Oh
well . . . . . . we were all new at one time. . .

THANKS:
The moderating team

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 18:31:39 -0000
From: jeremysmail_at_dml_softhome.net
Subject: Subject: Delorean Clock

Which brings up the questions why did they stop putting the clock in
and what did they put in it's place?

With respects to your question it is possiable that someone installed
one after the fact. It's also likely that the facts are not 100%
correct in all aspects.

Try straighting out details on VIN's from early Lotus Esprit's thats
a nightmare and a half.

Jeremy

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 18:07:02 -0000
From: badgeman46_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: Fan Fail Relay

     Well, I got the car to start, everything is OK so far, except
that I need starting fluid when it is hot.
    The Fan Fail relay is missing completely from the relay
compartment. What exactly is its function and can I drive without it?
-Jay

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 12:49:20 EST
From: CIAsleeper22_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Delorean Clock - modification

Hey everybody-

I thought this would be a good opportunity to mention this...

When I first bought my DeLorean, I purchased it sight unseen from California.
When it arrived a week later, I got in and started up the car I had waited
years to buy. I went down to shift it into first....and I saw the clock. It
was a small tacky digital clock that looked as if it had been bought from the
dollar store 10 years ago....This certainly was an eye soar in a beautiful
car. I immediately took it off and threw it out. The original clock was still
intact under the tack-on clock, but it had an electrical problem. This
bothered me as well.

So the time came for a modification. I am a DeLorean "purist" of sorts, I
really appreciate my DeLorean completely stock, yet functional at the same
time, so I really had to debate with myself to do this modification...but in
the end it came out great.

I purchased a used metal bezel, which surrounds the stick shift, the light
dimmer, and the digital clock in the 81's.  I removed the original metal
piece and put away for future use, incase I ever decide to go back to the
original stock configuration. Next, I enlarged the hole for the digital clock
on the used piece I had just purchased. I then wrapped the black metal in
soft black leather to give it a more luxurious look and feel to it, yet still
have a stock look to it. Then, in the hole I had cut out where the digital
clock was, I placed in a new clock. It is an analog clock, produced by
Emporio Armani so it is really top of the line. The clock is made of silver,
and has a graphite face with silver and glass arms. It looks very nice.

While this is not for everybody, it worked for me. Its different, and it
gives the interior of the DeLorean more of a "Mercedes level" feel to it,
while also making it feel a bit more modern.

On a side note, the original digital clock is still intact in the car and
nothing has been done to it. I simply tucked it away beneath the metal, so
incase I ever decide to go back to the original look, it can be done with
ease.

If anyone would like to see pictures of what I have done I already have taken
a few. Just email me privately at CIAsleeper22_at_dml_aol.com and I will send out a
mass email with the pictures as attatchments.

Hope this might be appreciated,

Justin
5172
Houston TX

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 18:51:09 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Re: Subject: Delorean Clock

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, jeremysmail_at_dml_s... wrote:
> Which brings up the questions why did they stop putting the clock
in
> and what did they put in it's place?

The Clock in the console was supposed to be eliminated at the same
time the radio changed from the Craig to the ASI. The ASI radio has a
clock in the radio. If you have one of the ones built near the
changeover time, or one that has had the radio swapped by a prior
owner/dealer, you may actually have two clocks. This was not supposed
to happen but it did. Apparently a lot.

As with other things, the DMC corporation was not necessarily always
able to coordinate timing of multiple vendors, in this case the radio
vendor that whomever vended the steel console panel. These little
things are what makes auto manufacturing so complex. And the DMC is a
relatively simple car!

Dave Swingle

FYI - I'm dumping a bunch of "I have a clock" postings since we've
established that the VIN changeover is not accurate.

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 13:40:17 EST
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Raddad (Delorean Clock)

Welcome back Raddad! Although it is not Delorean related, would love to hear
about your year long adventure. Glad to have you back with us.
Bruce Battles
Vin # 06569

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 13:30:56 -0500
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_ketchum.com>

You can purchase the new brake resevoir (with switch) from Darryl
Tinnerstet for about $25, or you can pick them up at any Saab dealer for
the same.  Just ask for a resevoir and cap for a 1979 Saab 900.  Even
comes with new pins, washers, seals, and clips.

-Dave
Vin #05927

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 11:07:41 -0800
From: Henry Breer <hbreer_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

Dave Swingle wrote:

> <snip>
> The Clock in the console was supposed to be eliminated at the same
> time the radio changed from the Craig to the ASI. The ASI radio has a
> clock in the radio.

Not quite true.  During the production run of Craig radios, Craig made a
change - they added the clock to the display.  Both versions of the Craig
radio carry the same model number (which only adds to the confusion).
The only outward difference is that the late model Craigs have two small
indented buttons in the upper right of the face labeled "H" and "M" to
set the clock.

Hank Breer

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 15:27:44 EST
From: jus4sho_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Project Delorean Site Overhauled!

Just wanted to let everyone know I've revamped the Project Delorean Site.
With the new format I hope to be able to more easily keep it up to date.
Feel free to check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.angelfire.com/md2/projectdelorean

Steve

VIN 2650 "Project Delorean"

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 16:04:44 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 1/20/01 1:17:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com
writes:

<< All of the parts lists that I see indicate
 that the clocks were only installed up to VIN number 6158.  I have
 VIN 6452 and mine has a clock.  Since my car only has 10,000 miles
 and everything else appears to be stock, is the parts list wrong or
 do I have an "unusual" car? >>

That's not unheard of.  Concours judges have noticed that unmodified stock
DeLoreans will sometimes have undeniably factory installed original parts or
engineering that isn't "correct" according to the official changeover
records.  They've had to change the Concours rules accordingly. Or it could
be a post-factory change, but that seems unlikely in this case.

-Wayne A. Ernst
The New DeLorean Manuals Project

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 22:15:18 -0000
From: "Robert Rooney" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Battery Straps.

Quick question. I've had my car a while now, but I still can't figure
out how in the world to use the strap to hold my battery down! Not
that it's a big deal since the battery doesn't have much room to
move. Ideas?

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 18:45:29 EST
From: hrlyrngr1_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: "rare"automatic D (wasFoolishness with numbers...)

If someone already answered, I must have missed it, how may automatics were
made?
                         Rob

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 12:11:45 +1100
From: "Rick Haslewood" <delorean_at_dml_zipworld.com.au>
Subject: DeLorean Australia website

Some of you are probably aware that I've been working on a website focusing soley on Australian DeLoreans. Well, it's almost finished and I expect to luanch it on 'Australia Day', 26th of January!

But, I need to contact a few people in regards to their DeLoreans. If Morris Brockwell, Greg Scalia, and Lou and Tracey Petrucci are reading this, could you please email me at rick_at_dml_deloreanaustralia.com as soon as possible? Thanks a bunch. Also, if any more Aussie DeLorean owners want to add information about their cars, you're more than welcome to.

See y'all later :-)

Rick H.
www.deloreanaustralia.com