From: <dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 378
Date: Sunday, January 21, 2001 10:31 PM

1. comments on: Project Delorean Site Overhauled!
From: Horseman of PA <the_horseman_pa_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Trunk-Latch (was "rare" automatic D)
From: Jan van de Wouw <Jan_at_dml_vdWouw.Demon.nl>

3. Body Tub Paint Color?
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

4. Light Lense colour variants
From: "Christopher M. Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>

5. Center Console Clock, trade?
From: Jim Reeve <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>

6. Re: Battery strap
From: rbrogren_at_dml_aol.com

7. RE: DMC engine upgrades (and AZ event)
From: "Ryan McCaffrey" <ryanjm_at_dml_home.com>

8. Re: Battery Straps.
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

9. Re: Delorean Clock - modification
From: "Dan RC30" <Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: Where To Find Zilla
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

11. Re: Re: front lower control arms
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

12. Re: Fan Fail Relay
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

13. Re: Good or bad thing to buy a car that was maintained with no upgrades?
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

14. RE: DMC engine upgrades (and AZ event)
From: "Jack & Virginia Stiefel" <stiefel_at_dml_minalco.com>

15. Re: Light Lense colour variants
From: Aaron Posey <cadysrme_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Antenna variation question.
From: jeremysmail_at_dml_softhome.net

17. Re: Re: Delorean Clock - modification
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

18. Re: Re: Battery Straps.
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Re: Battery Straps.
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

20. January 20Th AZ event.
From: sjaeger01_at_dml_aol.com

21. RE: Antenna variation question.
From: "Jack & Virginia Stiefel" <stiefel_at_dml_minalco.com>

22. Re: Trunk-Latch springs
From: "Jim Reeve" <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>

23. Re: Antenna variation question.
From: "Jim Reeve" <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>

24. Re: Battery Straps.
From: "John Hervey" <dherv10_at_dml_aol.com>

25. Re: Re: Battery Straps.
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 22:49:39 -0800 (PST)
From: Horseman of PA <the_horseman_pa_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: comments on: Project Delorean Site Overhauled!

hey this issue of the DMC news was great. I checked
out this site and got to see lots of great pics of an
actually DeLorean overhaul. I know alot of buzz is
going to go around about how this DeLorean is being
restored. But I have to say that everyone that owns a
DeLorean is owning THERE dream, and not someone elses.
So before anyone starts crying "it's not being
restored to it's original specs" I think we should all
just look on and appreciate one persons ambition and
hard work. The car has ben rescuded. it's running and
in good hands. it's getting cared for and is going to
be on the road again. I think thats great. When I
restore my "D" I'll probally restore it to the
original specs, but everyone has to remember that
there are cars out there that are just beyond that
point and seeing them restored is great, seeing
someone restore a DeLorean to reflect there dream is
Awesome. I am proude that this "D" will be amoung the
land of the living again. and I appauld all those
great people who have done the same. your all saving a
dream not just of one man but for millions of us out
there. what you do today will stand till tomorrow and
the care that all "D" owners take today will help
someone live there dream tomorrow. I will post my pics
of my restoration when the time comes. I now have a
shop where it can take place complete with engine lift
and everything. my time will come someday. but it
won't happen unless everyone realizes that each
persons dream is different and those who own the
Deloreans need to do there part so everyone can enjoy
them. The Delorean is a piece of History lets remember
that and preserve it.

 Wayne

on my way to living a dream.

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 13:43:15 +0100
From: Jan van de Wouw <Jan_at_dml_vdWouw.Demon.nl>
Subject: Re: Trunk-Latch (was "rare" automatic D)

Robert wrote:

> Perhaps the spring inside of the latch itslef is worn?
>
> -Robert
> vin 6585
>
> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, Jan van de Wouw <Jan_at_dml_v...> wrote:
> > This probably helps popping the trunk; I think I'll do something
> > similar since mine won't pop either.
> > I've allready checked alignment of the lock and the striker-pin,
> > they seem all right to me. The hook fully disengages the striker,

I've thought of that too; in front of the latch-hook there's a
spring loaded horizontal bar that gets pushed down by the striker-pin.
If you ask me its' only purpose is to pop the lid, nothing else.
At first it looked like this "popper-bar" wasn't hit by the striker,
but I put soem grease on both striker and latch and it all engages
in the right way. The striker does look very worn; it probably hasn't
seen any grease for a long while.

When I take a screwdriver and push down on the "popper-bar" it takes
a considerable amount of force, so I gues the spring is OK?

If anyone has some other tips; they're more than welcome!
Now opening the trunk can only be done with one hand on the
release-handle and one on the lid to get it up...

Thanks again,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

check out the Delorean-Files at:
http://www.deloreanfiles.nl/
------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 09:17:07 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Body Tub Paint Color?

Concourse Judges and other knowledgeable parties,

I'm curious, is the body tub painted or is that the color of the resin and glass matting.  I have been considering detailing the front and rear compartments.
If they are painted, what are the paint codes/color description.

Thanks,

Scott Mueller
DOA/DMCNEWS

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 15:45:38 -0000
From: "Christopher M. Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Light Lense colour variants

By following the link below you will find eight different lense
configurations for the DeLorean tail lights.  No DeLorean's were harmed in
process as this was done digitally.

I know the purist's will have the hair on the back of their necks stand on
end but this is just an exercise to see how different the car can look by
just altering the colouring of the lenses.

All points good and bad would be welcomed.  I don't believe this type of
thread on lenses has ever been discussed....

Here is the link for you to make up your own minds...

http://www.egroups.com/files/dmcnews/DMC12+Light+tinting/

Christopher Hawes
UK
no vin yet

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 12:33:53 -0600
From: Jim Reeve <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>
Subject: Center Console Clock, trade?

Hey everyone, just want to let everyone know, my VIN 6960 has a radio
clock on my original Craig and I have no console clock.  However, if any
of you would like to trade your perfect condition black metal trim piece
with clock hole (clock doesn't need to work or even be included), for my
perfect condition metal trim piece without a clock hole, let me know.  I
have a few things I would like to put in that clock opening, but I dont
want to cut up my already good trim piece.  Email me directly at
ultra'at'isd.net if you would like to trade.  Thanks!
--
Jim Reeve <Ultra>
'81 DeLorean-#6960

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 13:45:54 EST
From: rbrogren_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Battery strap

 Robert Rooney wrote:
> Quick question. I've had my car a while now, but I still can't figure
> out how in the world to use the strap to hold my battery down! Not
> that it's a big deal since the battery doesn't have much room to

I bet that you only have the front strap!
According to the manual there is also a rear strap and that will latch with
the front strap.
The rear strap is missing in my car also. (Short of landing on the roof I
don't think there is any way the battery can move.)
Is a rear strap available from any of the vendors?
Roger

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 13:37:01 -0700
From: "Ryan McCaffrey" <ryanjm_at_dml_home.com>
Subject: RE: DMC engine upgrades (and AZ event)

I was out driving DeLorean Motor Company's 200hp "Phase 1" car today here in
Phoenix, and I talked to Mr. Wynne about this.  Stephen told me (and I hope
this is okay for me to share) that 230hp will be the next step.  He did not
give me a timeline, but since they still have only prototypes for the 200hp
engine and Mr. Wynne always makes sure things are done correctly, we could
only guess.

I'm actually glad someone brought this subject up.  The Arizona DeLorean
Club held our second DeLorean Motor Company Tech Day with Mr. Wynne, James
Espey, and one of DMC's ace mechanics, Bill Morgan today.  We had 14 cars in
attendance (I'm not positive on this number-give or take a car), and there
were torsion bar adjustments for all and a good time was had by everyone
there.  The Arizona club, and particularly myself, owe Stephen, James, and
Bill a debt of gratitude.  A big thanks from me on behalf of everyone in
attendance goes out to our friends from Houston.

Back to the topic of the engine:  I had the car for about an hour and
everyone else in attendance got a drive too, and I must say I was more than
impressed.  It is an '81 painted black with an automatic tranny and DMC's
suspension upgrade package (4 new shocks and 4 new springs) and of course
the 200hp engine.  The car handles like a dream.  I did a quick u-turn after
getting off the freeway so I could get back on for a little while and the
car did not lean whatsoever.  The shocks improve the ride too.  The engine
is noticeably better, especially at higher RPM.  I did some, uh, testing ;-)
down the freeway to see what she could do, and where my stock 5-speed seems
to enjoy a highway cruising speed of about 75mph, the 200hp car purred at
around 90-100mph.  In fact, the only disappointing thing about the car was
that Stephen hadn't switched out the stock 85mph speedo with his 170mph
upgrade, so if I'd have been pulled over the police would've had to inform
me of my speed ;-).

In summary, the car looks and rides great with the suspension upgrade, and
has significantly more punch to it with the new engine.  I was kind of sad
to get back into my stock '82, but I'll be sending mine down to Houston for
the upgrades as soon as I can.  Thanks again to DeLorean Motor Company and
to Mesa Auto Works for hosting the event.

Ryan McCaffrey
#10014
Arizona DeLorean Club

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 16:18:31 -0500
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Battery Straps.

I found that on my Delorean, battery acid ate away the thread used to sew
the straps to the buckles.  It took a while of trying to fasten the buckles
to figure out why they didn't work.  In order to sew it back again, I'd have
to remove it from the car since my sewing machine won't fit behind the rear
seat.  The straps appear to be riveted in there like they were never
intended to come out.

Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 22:02:46 -1000
From: "Dan RC30" <Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean Clock - modification

I took out that clock, and installed a toggle switch in between the two
switches that control the power elements for the heated seats I installed. I
then wrapped that whole area, including the dimmer switch area, in stainless
steel I got from a 'damaged beyond repair' panel. It looks factory, in my
opinion, and my seats keep me warm on those cool New Jersey nights. :-)

---Dan

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 23:38:06 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Where To Find Zilla

You can find all of the Zilla products at the following website:
http://store.yahoo.com/dsvstore/zillaproducts.html

"We're here to help you"

Web Site: (TEMPORARY)<www.geocities.com/dmcjoe>

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 11:23:40 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: front lower control arms

Steve,

One of our custom manufacturing suppliers is currently in the process of
fabricating a remanufactured replacement lower link, as soon this item is
ready for distribution we will make it available at our on line store.

DMC Joe

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 17:20:52 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Fan Fail Relay

If you have trouble starting with the engine hot you probably have a
defective fuel accumulator. Do not run the engine for more than 10 minutes
without a fan fail relay bypass modification or Fanzilla; doing so may cause
the engine to overheat possibly resulting in permanent engine damage.

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 17:19:58 -0500
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Good or bad thing to buy a car that was maintained with no upgrades?

Original Deloreans have several factory defects and weak spots that manifest
themselves with age and use.  Normally, unless one of these potential
problems has manifested itself, then it hasn't been addressed yet either.
In the long run, I'm glad I bought an original car.  Having to discover the
cause of all the problems and then fix them myself has given me an enormous
amount of knowledge about my car and Deloreans in general.  But in the short
term, I've had a lot of problems keeping my Delorean in running condition.
Luckily, not too many things go wrong at the same time!

I have learned that bringing an original Delorean out of long term storage
is a hobby in itself.  I don't recommend trying it unless you are
mechanically inclined and enjoy the hobby or else you know someone who is an
excellent mechanic who will not take short cuts or try to rip you off.

Otherwise, pass this Delorean up and buy a refurbished one from one of the
vendors.  Or buy this one and have a vendor go through it with a fine
toothed comb.

A word of warning concerning the car you are looking at: the contrasty
nature of photography tends to hide blemishes rather than accentuate them.
Cars in general (and Deloreans in particular) tend to look a lot more
pristine in photos than in person.

Good luck,
Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 18:57:47 -0500
From: "Jack & Virginia Stiefel" <stiefel_at_dml_minalco.com>

This coincides with what I have heard.. Now another question...  Why get the
upgrade now if there is a 230 on the way and then a 3rd stage?

Jack & Virginia Stiefel

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 16:25:07 -0800 (PST)
From: Aaron Posey <cadysrme_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Light Lense colour variants

I have to say that I honestly like the standard
configuration best!...second choice would be all red with
the clear reverse lamps. Nice to see the different
configurations done digitally instead of changing them on a
car. Nice work Christopher!

Aaron Posey

--- "Christopher M. Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 01:01:13 -0000
From: jeremysmail_at_dml_softhome.net
Subject: Antenna variation question.

All this talk of variation brings up a question I've had for a while.
With respects to the antenna there are supposed to be three different
variation, or locations? Does anyone have pictures of the three
different variations? I'd love to compare and haven't seen any clear
differences in one location.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 20:18:47 EST
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Delorean Clock - modification

In a message dated 1/21/01 6:47:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:

<< . I
 then wrapped that whole area, including the dimmer switch area, in stainless
 steel I got from a 'damaged beyond repair' panel. It looks factory, >>

I can vouch for this looking factory also, I road with dan on the Fall
Foliage tour this past October and the set up he made looks like it was meant
to be there.

Later,
Nick
1852
Http://members.aol.com/njp548

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 20:22:28 EST
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Battery Straps.

In a message dated 1/21/01 7:09:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, Whalt_at_dml_att.net
writes:

<<  The straps appear to be riveted in there like they were never
 intended to come out. >>
On my car, the battery straps are screwed in place, and it only had the latch
part on one of the straps and nothing on the other (must have been lost
sometime), so I wouldn't be able to use it anyways.  Besides, I doubt its
going anywhere in that little compartment.

Later,
Nick
1852
Http://members.aol.com/njp548

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 21:46:59 EST
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 1/21/01 9:45:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, njp548_at_dml_aol.com
writes:

<< On my car, the battery straps are screwed in place >>

   Oops, I meant to say they are bolted and nutted in place...just to clear
that up.

Later,
Nick
1852
Http://members.aol.com/njp548

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 21:52:57 EST
From: sjaeger01_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: January 20Th AZ event.

Sorry for the me too comment but it was such a great event that I had to add
my 2 cents. If this is held next year, I would recommend that anyone who
might be in the area for the car auctions to made plans to attend. It was a
pleasure meeting and talking to Stephen Wynne and James 'Thor' Espey. I can't
wait until next year myself.

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 21:53:04 -0500
From: "Jack & Virginia Stiefel" <stiefel_at_dml_minalco.com>
Subject: RE: Antenna variation question.

it may be hard to see but my web site has pics of my car -- several to be
exact showing the right front fender mount of the antennae.
www.sacketmansion.com

Jack & Virginia Stiefel

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 02:47:40 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>
Subject: Re: Trunk-Latch springs

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com, Jan van de Wouw <Jan_at_dml_v...> wrote:
> When I take a screwdriver and push down on the "popper-bar" it takes
> a considerable amount of force, so I gues the spring is OK?

Anyone who considering to put a giant spring next to thier fuel filler
should think twice.  This spring will put uneven pressure on the hood,
possibly warping or twisting it, and it could also lift the driver's
side of the hood above the crash-stopper, decapitating you in a
collision.  Jan van de Wouw, you comment about the "popper" is
correct.  It's sole purpose is to "pop" the trunk when it is
unlatched.  The end of this is connected with a spring to the actual
latch.  When the latch is pulled, it is supposed to increase the
tension on the spring, lifting the "popper" so the hood can then be
grabbed.  On many cars, I have seen this be correct, but it still
doesn't pop the hood simply do to it's shear weight.  What the
previous owner of my car did, was put a second spring, right along
side the first, from the end of the popper to the latch.  This way,
there is a LOT more tension in it, and there is pleanty of force to
lift up the hood above the latch.  Right now, I acually have one
spring holding my hood from latching at all, because I removed the
release cable from the car when I began installing an electric release
line.  (The manual one is going back in there when finished).
Unfortunately, the two springs put up too much force for the solenoid
I have, to unlatch it.  So right now I'm working on a little setup to
keep the popper bar under heavy tension, but dramaticly releave it on
the latch.  I am installing the release button on the small trim peice
going over the base of the handbrake.  When I get all of this done, I
will post pictures.  Untill then, good luck everyone with your hoods!

Jim Reeve
MNDMC-Minnesota DeLorean Club

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 03:43:54 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>

On the first cars, there was an embedded antenna in the windshield.
However, due to poor reception, it was then replaced by a fixed mast
antenna on the right front fender.  This fixed mast was then replaced
by a manually retractable one, in the same location.  Then, later in
'81, they put a power telescoping antenna in the rear of the car,
coming out of the vent behind the driver's side quater panel glass.
However, I believe there was some discontinuity with the power
antennas.  I've seen Oct. builds with the power one, stock.  But I
have also seen Nov. builds with the retracting one up front, this
includes my car.  Thats one for those concourse books!

Jim Reeve
MNDMC-Minnesota DeLorean Club
VIN 6960

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 04:01:27 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <dherv10_at_dml_aol.com>

Robert and group, I would like to throw in my 2cents. The battery
straps are sometimes a pain to figure out and to replace when the
acid get to them. But they are very important. Even though the
compartment is small and it's full of battery. The battery must be
straped down. Not just in the De Lorean but in any car. The bounce
when going over bumpy roads and railroad tracks will damage the
plates.Then you may have what is called a dead cell and the car won't
start at the wrong time. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of
cure.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 23:25:28 -0500
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com>

Nick and others,
There is suppose to be ONE piece only!! I spent few hours trying to figure
out how it goes... and I had no idea. Then I called DMC Joe (thank you!) and
he email me a picture that shows exactly how it goes.
If anyone want that picure just let me know and I'll email it to you.
My email: tomcio'at'jamesik.com

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6298
tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com