From: <dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_egroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 379
Date: Monday, January 22, 2001 9:15 PM

1. Re: DMC Car covers
From: rbrogren_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: January 20Th AZ event.
From: <mikeatk_at_dml_concentric.net>

3. Re: Re: cross-drilled brake rotor update
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

4. Re: Re: Battery Straps.
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

5. Re: Battery Straps.
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

6. Re: Re: Antenna variation question.
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

7. Re: Battery Straps - need diagram
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

8. Re: Aftermarket Angle Drive Replacement ?
From: ZillaDelorean_at_dml_aol.com

9. RE: DMC engine upgrades (and AZ event)
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

10. Re: Antenna variation question.
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

11. Re: Battery straps
From: rbrogren_at_dml_aol.com

12. Antenna and clock locations, per original memos
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

13. Delorean Headlights
From: Willie Mack <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

14. Re: Battery (was: Battery Straps.)
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>

15. Re: Re: Battery Straps.
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

16. Re: Trunk-Latch springs
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

17. Stage II Was: cross-drilled brake rotor update
From: ratfink_at_dml_erols.com

18. A Barris BTTF DeLorean (pictures)
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

19. Re: Trunk-Latch springs
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 00:29:46 EST
From: rbrogren_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DMC Car covers

Some bad news!
A few days ago I posted a message about a very good deal from the
manufacturer of Covercraft car covers. A couple of you responded to me and
today I received an e-mail from one of you that read:

Roger,
 I e-mailed Bob as soon as I got your e-mail to try and get one of his
covers. But he e-mailed me back with "sorry they are all gone". I really
wanted one of these and am surprised 10 of them would sell in a matter of
hours. If you know who bought all 10 of these I would like to try and get one
even if it costs a little more. Thanks.
Bill

I immediately wrote an e-mail to the owner of Covercraft and asked for an
explanation. Here is the response"

Hi:
One person bought them all except for one I had sold you and
another person who was the first caller and is in Germany.

Sorry about that but we were not trying to ration them, just
sell them.
Bob

It appears that my original posting was too successful (for Covercraft) and
that 'somebody' from the DML bought all 10 of them! Maybe that 'somebody'
will post an offer to re-sell the lot to the members of this list at cost
plus a reasonable profit?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but this deal really irks me!
Roger

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 01:01:57 -0700
From: <mikeatk_at_dml_concentric.net>
Subject: Re: January 20Th AZ event.

Sorry if this is cluttering the list but I'd like to make a me too comment
as well.  Just wanted to say thanks to Randal Brown and Ryan McCaffrey for
putting together the tech session this Saturday at Mesa Auto Works.  Along
with having a great time with all the other owners I finally had a chance to
meet Stephen Wynne.  He spent most of the morning helping everyone with our
cars and was willing to spent whatever time it took to get the job done, a
real class act.  As Ryan said "ace mechanic Bill Morgan" did everything from
torsion bar adjustments to headliners and even installed a dead pedal on a
beautiful 81.

This was my first tech session and I definitely plan on going again just for
the fun of it if nothing else, I did manage to pick up a few good pointers
along the way which makes owning this car that much more fun.

Mike Atkinson
vin 16232

Subject: [DML] January 20Th AZ event.

 Sorry for the me too comment but it was such a great event..............

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:44:46 -0500
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>
Subject: Re: Re: cross-drilled brake rotor update

I agree, that cross drill rotors are a waste of time...  I'd go as far to say
they are a bad idea.

I posed this link a while back, but I will again-

http://www.shotimes.com/brakes/part2.html

This is a article written for the "SHOTIMES" group.  I am a member, and think
there are a few other SHOWTIME'rs on this list..  Gary (the author) is well
respected.

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:10:14 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Battery Straps.

How about posting the picture/diagram in the vault or place it on the tech
page.
Scott Mueller
DOA/DMCNEWS

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:58:09 -0500
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>
Subject: Re: Battery Straps.

I always thought I had mine set up right, but when a bunch of us went to RI in
the fall this year, Ben asked me about this because his strap was not on.

I went over to help him get it right, or so I thought.

Gary Maise then let us take a look at his car.  No doubt, he had it correct!  He
then showed Ben and I how to do it.  If I had to do it again, I dont think I
could!  But, if you get a picture of it, that would be a big help.

Maybe Gary, can make a video of it!

I know mine is correct now..  I just hope I dont have to remove the battery any
time soon!

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:15:26 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Antenna variation question.

When my Delorean was a few months old, we were offered the opportunity to
have the powered antenna install.  I remember that the dealer would install
a SS plug in the front fender.  I thought that would look tacky.  I do not
recall what the dealer was charging for this upgrade.  DMC Houston will
install a power antenna and have the front fenders hole welded up and
refinished, if I remember correctly.

Scott Mueller
DOA/DMCNEWS

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 15:31:59 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Re: Battery Straps - need diagram

Attention Artists:

If someone has or can draw an original diagram (not taken from a
copyrighted publication!) of how to thread this up, I'd be glad to
add it to the tech section on the web page. I'd do it myself but I'm
not much of a graphic artist.

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:31:52 EST
From: ZillaDelorean_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Aftermarket Angle Drive Replacement ?

There's no cross reference for the angle drive.
You can buy a standard DeLorean angle drive from most DeLorean dealers.
PJ Grady's got one with KRYPTONITE gears made to LAST.
All the best,
Bob Zilla

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:21:07 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: RE: DMC engine upgrades (and AZ event)

The 230hp Stage II may actually wind up being the end of it. To get
any more power out of the engine may not be cost-effective. We're
already expecting the Stage II to add $5,000 or so on top of the
Stage I modifications ($4995-$6495). If there are more than a handful
of the Stage II mods completed I will be surprised.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 01:05:08 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Antenna variation question.

The first version was built into the front windshield, the second was fixed
on the right front fender, and the final version was the power unit located
inside the rear vent in the left rear quarter panel.

"We're here to help you"

Web Site: (TEMPORARY)<www.geocities.com/dmcjoe>

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:22:08 EST
From: rbrogren_at_dml_aol.com

On Subject, Tom N wrote:

> Nick and others,
> There is suppose to be ONE piece only!! I spent few hours trying to figure
> out how it goes... and I had no idea. Then I called DMC Joe (thank you!) and
> he email me a picture that shows exactly how it goes.
> If anyone want that picure just let me know and I'll email it to you.

I do not believe this is correct! The front web strap with latch, in
excellent condition, is 13 1/2 inches long and there is no way that alone
could hold the battery. Back behind the battery there is another bracket, but
no strap.

After typing this I remembered seeing something on this subject in an old DW
magazine so I went back and found it! Volume 9, issue 3, page 31 has a
drawing and text about battery installation and care. The picture clearely
shows a two part strap!

I repeat my earlier question: Are the straps available from one of the
vendors? (I agree with Walt's comment; it got to be a bear of a job to put in
a new rear strap!)

Roger

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 12:37:26 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Antenna and clock locations, per original memos

I just posted in the "Millennium" mailing list files area scans of a
half-dozen parts bulletins, service bulletins and original internal
De Lorean Motor Company memos about various intro points for
different parts, including the antenna and center console clock. YMMV.

http://www.egroups.com/files/millennium-concours/Concours+Documentation/

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:56:13 -0500
From: Willie Mack <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>
Subject: Delorean Headlights

I am looking to install some halagen headlights in my D.  The problem that i
have come across is, i need to find a non sealed beam headlight to put in
the delorean to install the halagen headlight into.  Does anyone know of any
serial numbers of headlights that would work for this?  Also will the added
wattage of the headlights effect the D wiring?

Thanks
  Willie Mack

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:21:24 -0000
From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano_at_dml_optonline.com>
Subject: Re: Battery (was: Battery Straps.)

True, but if you get the Optima Battery (Red Top one) it's built to
take the abuse. Not to mention that you can even install it
upsidedown if you wanted to (that's what the manufacture says). If
anyone has to replace their battery, get the optima battery. It cost
a little more but lasts allot longer and can handle the abuse. Not to
mention that the battery is SEALED...unlike the traditional so called
sealed batteries out on the market today. Even though you get a
battery that says it is sealed and Maintence free, there are
revovable "caps" ontop of the battery covering the cell banks. The
Optima battery doesn't have this, further reducing the possbility of
acid/fumes leaking out and getting to the battery strap (or anything
else for that matter). It also has a thicker heavier casing
surrounding the battery so it's not as easy for it to crack in the
likely hood of it bouncing around in there due to a strap break.

Steve

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 01:21:22 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

John,

It would take a tremendous amount of jarring to cause the battery to hop
around inside the battery compartment enough to cause plate damage,
therefore I believe your fears of battery damage due to bumps in the road
may be unfounded.

Due to the "goofy" battery buckle set up, few DeLoreans have the strap
securely buckled.

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:55:47 -0000
From: "jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net " <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Trunk-Latch springs

Be careful in changing the tension of the spring connected to the
"popper bar". Making it too strong will cause it to be harder to open
the trunk and also latching closed. It is a balance to get it right so
adjust it just enough to make it work, don't add a second spring. Also
MAKE SURE that the latch is perfectly lined up so the latch bar is
falling directly into the lock and not rubbing the sides. I have seen
the latch bars worn thin from rubbing the edges of the lock, any drag
just makes things worse. Another thing to point out is many times the
lock needs to be adjusted down to get the hood to sit right to the
fenders but there is not enough adjustment so remove the lock and
elongate the bolt holes to allow the lock to set a little lower.
Properly adjusted you can open the bonnet with 1 hand. All of this
also goes for the lock on the engine cover. The struts have nothing to
do with these adjustments.

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 12:00:39 -0000
From: ratfink_at_dml_erols.com
Subject: Stage II Was: cross-drilled brake rotor update

Fred, I didn't know that Stage 2 details were out.  What is stage 2
and what are the horsepower gains?  Do you have an automatic or
5-speed car?  Please let us know about performance when you get it
back.

Dennis Lowery
Vin 4797

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 13:26:00 -0800
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: A Barris BTTF DeLorean (pictures)

A 'Back to the Future' made-up Delorean by George Barris was on display at
the Grand National Roadster Show, this last weekend in San Mateo California.

I went to the show and took several photos of the car and I've posted them
on my personal DeLorean website at:
http://www.jps.net/arkham/delorean/delorean01.htm It's the first item on the
'Special Documents' page.

The car didn't look to be in bad shape, but they drilled into the fenders to
mount all the junk on the outside. The VIN# and details about the car are
included with the pictures.

I understand that Barris made 1 or more stunt cars for the movies but they
were not fully dressed-out cars. This one had to have been made well after
the movies.

Ken Montgomery	Sacramento, CA  VIN #10911  'OUTTIME'
http://www.jps.net/arkham/delorean/delorean01.htm
mailto:kenm_at_dml_csus.edu
Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://www.ncdmc.org
http://www.dmcnews.com  mailto:directory_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:25:57 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

The factory originally fitted springs on amny cars that were
inadequate to "pop" the luggage compartment. A service fix for this
was introduced (don't remember exact VIN) that replaced the spring
with a new spring #110279. We installed/sold several of these at this
weekends event in AZ. Good luggage compartment struts are also a big
help.

If opening your luggage compartment is a two-handed affair (one on
the handle, one on the hood) this spring should solve your problem.

This spring is available from the De Lorean Motor Company online
store or any other DeLorean vendor for about $3.00.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573