From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 388
Date: Monday, January 29, 2001 4:11 PM

1. Re: Fuel Filter
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Fear and Loathing on the LML (was: Reality check... (long, but informative...))
From: garyg_at_dml_lucent.com

3. Re: Fear and Loathing on the LML (was: Reality check... (long, but info...
From: CIAsleeper22_at_dml_aol.com

4. Reply for the rest of the list
From: garyg_at_dml_lucent.com

5. Carpet Adhesive?
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: Re: Auto Trans Problems
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com>

7. Automatic Door Locks Type?
From: "Shiraz J. Cupala" <shirazc_at_dml_microsoft.com>

8. Re: Performance Upgrades...
From: "dmc1982" <dmc1982_at_dml_email.msn.com>

9. Re: Carpet Adhesive?
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com>

10. Re: Auto Trans Problems
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

11. Re: Fear and Loathing on the LML (was: Reality check... (long, but informative...))
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

12. Re: Carpet Adhesive?
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

13. DeLorean Car Show (bad news)
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Carpet Adhesive?
From: Horseman of PA <the_horseman_pa_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Carpet Adhesive?
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

16. Re: Carpet Adhesive?
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fisherdesign.com>

17. Re: RE:Engine Problems / Fuel leak?
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

18. Re: Auto Trans Problems
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

19. RE: DeLorean Car Show (bad news)
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

20. re: Auto Trans Problems
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

21. Binnacle recovering
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

22. Re: Auto Trans Problems
From: mwalker_at_dml_dragon-reach.org

23. "Delorean Parts Interchange List" on ebay
From: David Cox <DMCox_at_dml_delorean.com>

24. Auto Trans Probs #2
From: mwalker_at_dml_dragon-reach.org

25. Re: Auto Trans Problems
From: mwalker_at_dml_dragon-reach.org

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 01:13:17 EST
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Fuel Filter

Chris,

      Rob Grady told me to use teflon tape on the threads that connect the 90
degree elbow onto the bottom of the fuel filter, also be careful and not
tighten it up too much into the filter because doing so will cause the elbow
to go too far into the filter and cut off the fuel completely.  Hope that
helps.

Later,
Nick
1852
<A HREF="http://www.members.aol.com/njp548">Http://members.aol.com/njp548</A>

Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 23:49:17 -0000
From: garyg_at_dml_lucent.com
Subject: Re: Fear and Loathing on the LML (was: Reality check... (long, but informative...))

Robert,
  My posts were not meant to denigrate the DeLorean, but to point out that each car is special in it's own way. Why are you so defensive that you have to turn this thread negative and then make it personal.  If you followed the DeLorean thread on the Lotus list (and not just selective snippets), you would have seen the respect given the DeLorean by the Lotus guys.  We certainly don't hate
the DeLorean nor are we jealous of it.  Why don't you take a few
minutes and do a little research before you starting jumping down
peoples throats?

Let's keep it civil.

-Gary G.

Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 20:38:45 EST
From: CIAsleeper22_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Fear and Loathing on the LML (was: Reality check... (long, but info...

Ya know, it comes down to a comment I posted to the list a few weeks back.

The DeLorean is a DeLorean...it is unlike any other car. It is NOT an Audi
TT, it is NOT even a Lotus Esprit. The DeLorean was never intended (up until
the twin turbo development) to be a *high performance sports car such as a
Porsche, etc. It was supposed to be a "Mercedes for America" taking after the
classic SL300. It was concieved as a safety vehicle. On page 58 of Stainless
Steel Illusion, you can clearly see a DeLorean prototype with a "DSV" emblem
on the front of the grille, representing "DeLorean Safety Vehicle."  And now
the DeLorean is a representation of what could have been, a dream that only
became reality for a short time. So to hear people piss and moan about the
DeLorean lately has really started to but a thorne in my toe. Thats like
complaining about how poorly the 1948 Tucker handles as compared to the
latest Mercedes S 500. Its a 48 Tucker...just as its an 81 DeLorean.

In the end you either love the DeLorean and will respect it, or you will
simply make an ass out of yourself. If you dont love the DeLorean with all
your heart then maybe this is not the mailing list for you.

My 2 cents

Justin

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 03:35:28 -0000
From: garyg_at_dml_lucent.com
Subject: Reply for the rest of the list

I just wanted to apologize to anyone else on the list that I may
have offended with my post to the Lotus list.  In retrospect, I
probably should have phrased my thoughts differently.  I meant no
disrespect to the members of this list or the DeLorean marque.

Sincerely,
Gary Gill

BTW: If there are any D owners in the Boston/S. NH area that would
like to swap a DeLorean drive for a drive in my Esprit, I'd love the
opportunity to check out a list members car!

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 01:31:05 EST
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Carpet Adhesive?

Hey List,

      I was just wondering whats the best kind of glue to use to secure the
carpet to the fibreglass?  When DMC Houston was giving away that free carpet
that goes in the space behind the drivers seat, I got one, and now I don't
know what to use to secure it to the fibreglass walls, anyone have any ideas?

Later,
Nick
1852
<A HREF="Http://members.aol.com/njp548">Http://members.aol.com/njp548</A>

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 01:36:04 -0500
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Auto Trans Problems

David,
Please tell me how can you replace a (so called) computer without dropping
the pan.
Well, you can take the computer off, but you can't disconnect the plug that
goes to the selenoids. There is a locking ring that goes on the plug from
the inside of the transmission.
IMO it's not possible. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6298
tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 06:42:51 -0000
From: "Shiraz J. Cupala" <shirazc_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: Automatic Door Locks Type?

Hello everyone! I'm trying to figure out how to wire my alarm system
to automatically open the door locks. Has anyone done this? Would you
give me some pointers? I think the lock type is reversing polarity
but I'm not sure. Is there a relay I can wire into? In the shop
manual there is a relay labeled Door Lock something but I'm not sure
if that's it.

thanks!
shiraz

Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 22:10:36 -0500
From: "dmc1982" <dmc1982_at_dml_email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Performance Upgrades...

Dave,

I hope everyone takes the time to look at the site you mentioned in your
email. (http://www.kalecoauto.com/)
After the somewhat intense correspondence lately it is refreshing to have a
bit of humor.
 I am ordering the oil bypass kit since I use synthetic oil.

Thanks Again,

Cecil Longwisch

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 02:29:51 -0500
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com>
Subject: Re: Carpet Adhesive?

Hi Nick,
I think that the best stuff you can use is this: 3M General Trim Adhesive
Part no. 051135-08088. You can get it at Home Depot and it's in the
paint/glue departament. It comes in a white 16.25oz. (460g) spray can and it
cost around $10. I just used it on my D and this stuff is just great. I
glued carpet to stainless (hood), carpet to fiberglass, and dealer stripe to
stainless. Just follow the instructions printed on the can - cover BOTH
surfaces, wait about 1-3 minutes, mate the sprayed surfaces. Worked great
for me.

Hope this helps
Tom Niemczewski
vin 6298
tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:32:19 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
Subject: Re: Auto Trans Problems

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_a...> wrote:
<SNIP>
> And for you guys out there with manual transmissions and your
stainless
> steel braided clutch lines  -- stop gloating!  Why are you reading
this
> anyway?  It doesn't apply to you!  :)
>
> Walt    Tampa, FL

Trust me, I am not gloating at all. With all the repairs that I've
gone thru/am going thru with my clutch, I envy you in a way at this
point! :p

OEM clutch kit:
$389.74

Pilot Bearing:
$30.93

Centerforce Clutch Kit:
$385.00

OEM Clutch Master Cylinder:
$138.10

OEM Clutch Slave Cylinder:
$103.75

SS Braided Clutch Line:
$119.00

Rear Crankshaft Lip Seal:
$15.65

Parts total: $1,182.17
(and this price still doesn't include labor!)

P.J. Grady's online price for a rebuilt automatic:
$2,495.00 installed to the differential.

After calculating labor, both transmission types can end up costing
you the same!

I've come to one conclusion: When buying a DeLorean, choose either a
manual or automatic transmission because you're more comfortable with
one. Don't make your decision based upon repair costs. Either route,
both can cost you the same amount!

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:18:24 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

[MODERATOR NOTE: Due to the extrordinary length of this editorial, I have trimmed the quotes from Gary G. and Robert at the end]

In retrospect, perhaps your are correct in saying that I should have
also recognized the quotes by others on the list that did speak on
the DeLorean's behalf. Namely a Mr. Larry Kjellberg. I truly do
appriciate the fact that he was willing to take a stance in favor of
the DeLorean in as it is both a pleasurable car to drive while
presenting the positive factors along with the negative ones when
judging the car. In the face of such critical statements, it takes a
bit of courage to stand up and go against others by presenting what
appears to be an unpopular opinion (based on the comments of others).
I do hope that he is on the DML as well as I would like to take the
time to thank him for his actions.

Why am I so defensive, and why am I taking this so personally?
Perhaps I have overlooked something here, but I would imagine that
this would be more then crystal clear by now. Calling my car a "pig",
and stating that I "...almost seem to have a little penis envy when
it comes to Lotus..." are comments that I would consider to be on a
VERY personal level. Think of how you would have felt if I or someone
else were to have made those very same comments twards you and your
car...

Believe me, over the past few years I have done by most people's
standards a considerable amount of research. However, if you are
refering to the Lotus Mailing List, I'm afraid I'm unable to as it is
a "Members Only" list where the archives are not publicly available.

But perhaps I am missing something here as well. Being a DeLorean
owner is not an easy task for some. Along with a small to modest
reseve of money for repairs, the shop manuals for your car, the time
and patience to work on you car, there is something else that you do
need. And that is a bit of wit and a sharp tongue. I don't say this
to alienate you or others in any way, but you probably don't know
what it is like to own a DeLorean. A typical trip to the auto parts
store to pick up things such as oil, or maybe some window cleaner
usually turns into some sort of heckeling. Here it is the worst
because somebody is there that always seems to "know" your car. No
matter how far out into left field their comments are, YOU are the
one who is wrong because "They know your car!" This also accompanies
the usual barage of cocaine jokes and other derogatory comments
against the car. When you have something that you are very proud of,
it becomes hurtful sometimes that have to listen to people constantly
tear down that thing that you worked so hard to build up. The younger
you are when you decide that you want to purchase a DeLorean, the
harder it is on you. When you're young, people pass off you opinions
and dreams as "just a phase", or some sort of "foolish notion". You
can't get a loan for the car because you "Don't have enough credit."
or some other petty excuse. Later on this turns into, "Well, you have
excellent credit, and I don't see a problem with the loan. But it's
just that our bank is unable to finace a car that is 20 years old.
Although it's still too young to be considered a classic car." In
other words, they will refuse to finace the vehicle simply because
it's a DeLorean. But I must give many thanks to my parents who always
encouraged me to pursue my dreams no matter what anyone else said.

As an enthusist, these are verbatim answers I have gotten from
various banks that I applied for loans at. I present these things not
for pity, nor for respect. I simply present this to show you exactly
where I'm coming from. My comments are not based out of rage or
anger, but of the love for my car. I want people to know these things
because if you buy a DeLorean, they will be the exact same things
that you will have to go thru! I don't brag that my car is better
then someone else's, I don't pretend that my car is something it's
not, and I certainly don't ever reccomend that anyone ever buy a
DeLorean. That's not to say that it's a bad car. It's just that it's
not a car for everyone! if you are not careful, owning a DeLorean can
drain you both financialy and emotionally. The constant negative
comments by others almost seems sometimes like a constant harrasement.

But I digress. My comments were not posted out of anger simply for
the benefit of my own ego. They were more of an effort to correct the
ignorance that had brightly shown thru in comments that had been
posted. Most hurtful though did have to be the comment made by you
concerning a certain type of "envy". But not totally on a personal
level. More so that this was a negative comment directed at not only
the DMC-12 itself, but owners and enthusists as well because this
comment originated from a fellow DML'er. As I said before, I am sorry
that you feel this way. I realize that my response was a bit, shall
we say, harsh. But I only responded with the same predjudice that was
directed at myself and others. Although as sharp as it was, I don't
regret a single word I said.

I also recognize that there were snippets left out of your follow-up
posting, and the fact that you did appologize not just once, but
twice for the comments. I do both thank you, and respect you for that.

In closing I would just like to say that it is too bad that your
first postings had to be under these circumstances. I would also like
to ask the Moderators to close this thread out after this posting. If
you wish to continue the subject, I would prefer to do the
gentlemanly thing and continue this discussion in private. Other then
that, let me just say welcome to the DML!

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:11:54 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

I don't think you want to glue that peice in. The computer is back
there. Mine is just "pressed" in place with no adhesive so that it
can be removed, also to access the training are shield retainer
(studs or screws).

Dave

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:19:26 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Car Show (bad news)

Hi
As you all know information on the internet is not always safe and some
people get their jollies by destroying other peoples work.  Over the past
year and a half the server I use  has been targeted by hackers along with the
DeLorean Car Show home page.  In the past we have been able to recover from
these intrusions and have tried to protect the site better but as we get
better the hackers become better.
As a resuslt yesterday hackers got into the server and destroyed it beyond
repair.
Until further notice the DeLorean Car Show home page is no longer available.
I do not know what we are going to do.  Dan has been very helpful in getting
the site up and keeping it running but this damage means I will now have to
find another server.  So for now I am down and out.

Please be patient we will try to resolve this as soon as we can.

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 05:35:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Horseman of PA <the_horseman_pa_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Try Super 77 it's a spray adheasive that sticks to
almost everything it's cheap comes in several sizes
and it's sticky as hell. I've used it on concrete to
secure carpet pad and it worked great also it's good
for material and sutch. you can find it at most craft
stores or local K Marts or Walmarts ect.

Wayne Heath

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:51:23 -0500
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

I found that it was unnecessary to use any adhesive at all.  The shape of
the carpet holds itself in place nicely.  I had to pull mine out to replace
those pesky trailing arm shield studs.

Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:41:40 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fisherdesign.com>

Wayne et al,
    Super 77 is good, but you really don't want to use anything less than
High-Strength 90 spray adhesive (also made by 3M) for the carpeting and
you should probably go ahead on up to the 3M general trim adhesive
mentioned by another DMLer just to be completely safe.  It is the best of
the best, costs about the same and is also available at Autozone, Pep
Boys and some home goods stores.
    Don't forget to leave the doors open for a period of time after using
the spray adhesives in the cockpit.  The fumes are not only flammable,
but can also make you nauseous over time.  I'd imagine the same applies
for the trim adhesive.
        Good Luck,
        Josh

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:20:02 -0000
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com
Subject: Re: RE:Engine Problems / Fuel leak?

Walt,
The only hose that should have a hose clamp on the accum should be in
the rear of the unit. It's a single thin black fuel hose. The two
front connecting hoses on the accum should have connectors pressure
fittied into high pressure hoses. There should be NO clamps on those
hoses. If there are any on them I suspect that a previous owner had
them installed due to a leak, since to replace them is a real pain.
Those two front hoses hold allot of pressure. If in doubt, call a D
vendor and they can work out a solution for you. There are allot of
areas the fuel can be leaking from, such as one of the steel fuel
lines that run along the top of the chassis (you can't see them
without dropping the chassis a bit).

Steve

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> Joe,

.  I see no leaks around the tank, but
> I'm wondering if I may be dripping fuel around the accumulator.
The fuel

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:47:23 -0000
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

Robert,
You forgot the Throw out bearing at $65.00 and the cost of
resurfacing the flywheel for a new clutch install at $34.00 ;).

Steve.

[Very long quote snipped by moderator]

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 07:38:06 -0800
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: DeLorean Car Show (bad news)

Ken,

I (through my Website development/hosting company) have been privately
offering hosting of "personal" DeLorean sites, and I will extend this offer
to your site also.

I call it my "DeLorean Fanatics" offer and it is only $75/year, including
yearly domain registration. This is secure hosting, co-located and networked
by one of the world's largest hosting companies.

This is the same hosting we sell at retail for $19.99 plus setup plus domain
registration.
See http://xynext.com/hosting/basic.php3.

Please contact me privately - Gary (at) IN2TIME.com

Gary Hull
VIN #5612
www.PNDC.org  www.IN2TIME.com  www.XyNexT.com

From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com [mailto:kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com]
Subject: [DML] DeLorean Car Show (bad news)

. . . yesterday hackers got into the server and destroyed it beyond
repair.  Until further notice the DeLorean Car Show home page is no
 longer available.
Ken

[Trimmed by Moderator]

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:39:09 -0600
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

Robert: You really don't need two clutches though! One should do it (OEM OR
Centerforce). See - you just saved $385!

BUT  - there is some other "while you're in there" stuff that is good to do.
. . .If you're highly motivatated it's a good idea to replace the side axle
seals, change the trans oil, and maybe even crack the thing open and replace
the infamous 2nd gear roll pin and the input shaft seals.

Dave--thinking in terms of having it not leak for *another* 19 years. . . .
===============================
[Two-post quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:53:52 -0000
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com
Subject: Binnacle recovering

Has anyone had their Binnacle (instrument cluster housing) recovered
successfully? I remember speaking to one person about this a while
back and remember them saying that you couldn't do it because the new
material may get in the way (thickness of it) as your trying to
install it and that I might have to so some "trimming".

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:12:40 -0000
From: mwalker_at_dml_dragon-reach.org

I am going to reply for David since I just ran into this and was
totally confused.

The connector for the Solenoids can be disconnected at the test
connector that sits in the engine compartment.  You disconnect the
wires under the cap after carefully noting which wire goes where -
then the wire disconnects from the test connector - took about 3
minutes once I realized what to do.

In all I would say if you don't have to drop the drain pan and remove
the solenoids inside you could do the whole replacement in about 2.5
to 3 hours (depends on how many bleeding knuckles you are willing to
have) :)

The procedure is listed in the service manual where it discuesses
removing the GC.  I don't have the precise listing in front of me tho.

Matthew L. Walker
VIN #1219

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Tom Niemczewski" <tomcio_at_dml_j...> wrote:
> David,
> Please tell me how can you replace a
> (so called) computer without
> dropping the pan.
[Moderator snip]

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:29:28 -0800 (PST)
From: David Cox <DMCox_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: "Delorean Parts Interchange List" on ebay

Here's an interesting twist: someone who goes by the name of comicbabe is selling a "Delorean DMC-13 Parts Interchange List" on ebay.  She says it saved her lots of money when she had her Delorean and it is something that any Delorean owner would want.  Bidding started at $9.99, and shipping is only $1.  Silly me, I just downloaded my list from the web for free - what was I thinking? ;)

YourName_at_dml_delorean.com -- it's free from <a href="http://www.delorean.com"> DeLorean Motor Company</a>!

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:31:04 -0000
From: mwalker_at_dml_dragon-reach.org
Subject: Auto Trans Probs #2

For all that have sent me info directly or via the list, I offer my
sincere thanks.  If any of you wind up in the DFW area( or already
reside here ) I'll buy you your choice of beverages.

For a quick update, I haven't yet replaced the GC -- I am going to
try to rebuild it per info off of the DMCNEWS tech page.  Even if
this doesn't fix the immediate problem it still seems worth doing as
opposed to spending a $400 dollars everytime the unit fails.
Hopefully, like Mark Hershey (who wrote the article), I'll be able to
run several years without problems once it is rebuilt using some
better components.

Once I get the Trans fixed I will be going thru and doing some other
mods.  One thing I would like to do is replace the radio with a
current AM/FM/CD player, but I don't want to cut the center piece to
do it.  So if anyone has a plate already cut, or if you know where I
can get another one I would appreciate it.  ( Stereo in the car is
neither the ASI or Craig unit it was apparently replaced at sometime
in the past with a Jensen AM/FM/Cassette with clock.)

Matthew L. Walker

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:36:02 -0000
From: mwalker_at_dml_dragon-reach.org

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., jtrealty_at_dml_w... wrote:
> Make sure that the vacuum line to the modulater is
> connected and not leaking. Check and adjust the line pressure.
[continuing quote trimmed by moderator]

David,

I did all of the above prior to removing the GC - except for the line
pressure you lost me on that one. Everythings seemed ok ( I will
admit to being stupid on the vacuum check -- I didn't use ether or
anything to see if the engine reved, I checked all the lines for any
holes or loose connections none seemed evident.)

Again I appreciate all help and advice from all that have responded.

Thanks

Matthew L. Walker