From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 411
Date: Friday, February 16, 2001 5:19 AM

1. Re: Fuel tank cleaning/removal omission
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

2. looking to buy a "project" DeLorean
From: Horseman of PA <the_horseman_pa_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: DeLorean Mid atlantic
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: Re: door locks/zillas/solenoids
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

5. um... where does the power mirror switch go?
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: Seat Covers...
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>

7. Battery Cut Off Switch
From: "M.C. de Bruin" <debruin_at_dml_dia.eur.nl>

8. Re: Re: Hello list!
From: "doctor who" <ohwrd_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: Front section Frame repair
From: seanm_at_dml_atlcom.net

10. RE: Battery cut-off switch
From: "David B. Hill" <dhill_at_dml_hillresearch.com>

11. Tri-Flow spray
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

12. Re: looking to buy a "project" DeLorean
From: Bob Brandys <oehcs_at_dml_flash.net>

13. Hose routing wisdom, please!
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

14. Re: um... where does the power mirror switch go?
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

15. Re: Fascia Paint
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: looking to buy a "project" DeLorean
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

17. New poll for dmcnews
From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

18. Re: Fascia Paint
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

19. Front section Frame PICTURE
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: Re: looking to buy a "project" DeLorean
From: Horseman of PA <the_horseman_pa_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. DeLorean Car Show /John DeLorean
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

22. Re: Front section Frame PICTURE
From: jus4sho_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 03:29:59 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
Subject: Re: Fuel tank cleaning/removal omission

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., deloreanernst_at_dml_a... wrote:
<SNIP>
>To anyone (Ed
> B. comes to mind,) who thinks the DML contains a ton of potentially
hazardous
> ideas: this is a moderated list, and the moderators do their best
watch
> over such things!
> -Wayne

The DML is a good source of both info and advice when it comes to
DeLorean repairs. But of course the DML is no substitue for the
Workshop Manual and common sense. If something is ever ommited from
something such as a procedure for a repair that someone reccomends,
then there are not only the moderators but fellow DMLer's who catch
it. Nothing that is ever discussed here on the DML is any more
hazardous then what is contained in the workshop manuals. And those
were written by the factory. No matter who works on any car you own
(i.e. you, a or a mechanic), there has never has been, nor will there
ever be a subsitute for common sense. Mechanicly overall, the
DeLorean
really isn't all that differant then other vehicles. I don't mean
just
parts wise. Many of the procedures are simualr to other cars if not
the same. Bleeding brakes, changing brake pads, changing the oil,
changing the plugs, changing belts, etc... And most shops that
service
Volvos are most time capable at tuning the engine. As much
as the DeLorean is unique on the outside, it's pretty straight
through
on the inside. Yes, it does have a few unique parts to it that other
cars don't. But I've yet to run across a car that doesn't share that
same trait with something of it's own...

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:30:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Horseman of PA <the_horseman_pa_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: looking to buy a "project" DeLorean

this is just a general posting for everyone
subscribing to this club or might now of anyone
selling a DeLorean.

I am interested in buying a "project" car what  Iwas
wondering is does anyone have or know someone with a
DeLorean for sale that is a "project" car? at the
moment I have a little money. I don't know if this is
even possible but I thought I would ask just in the
case that it might happen. I am thinking maybe around
4,000 to 5,000 dollars? is this a reality or just a
joke? I have no clue I'm just trying to find someway
of owning my dream. can everyone keep there eyes on
the look out for sutch an offer maybe? I know this is
far fetched and probally I am way over my head here.
but I thought maybe it might be possible. feel free to
contact me privately if you have any comments or leads
thank you to all on the group.

Wayne

the_horseman_pa_at_dml_yahoo.com

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 05:42:36
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Mid atlantic

I would be most interested, also.  He told me Alstate Ins. gives him a DMC
discount because of their "safety-car" investment.  No agent I've talked to
has heard of this.  Inquiring minds want to know!!   Drive Stainless
Robert    VIN 6024

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 02:14:03 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: door locks/zillas/solenoids

In a message dated 2/14/01 5:04:46 PM Central Standard Time, ss_at_dml_delorean.com
writes:

> Hey Andy,
>   I'd love to use the rigth stuff that won't ruin my cars. . . Care to let
> the rest of us in on this great find? What is it?
>
> Shannon

Oops!  i didn't mean to make it sound like i found a mystical, magic product,
but it's called Tri-Flow Spray Lubricant.  the guys at this lock shop told me
that it's the best stuff they've ever used because it actually eats away
corrosion, debris, etc.  they use it to open up and lubricate seized locks.
they recommend it above WD-40, and as steve mentioned, graphite is not the
right thing to use.  i bought a big can of it and i plan to use for
lubricating every joint and twist in my door lock mechanisms.

you can order it here if you can't find it at your home store:
http://www.lickbike.com/i2827050.htm

i think i paid twice as much for the can i bought:-(

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 02:25:13 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: um... where does the power mirror switch go?

Hey all,

pardon this silly question -
but when i took my door panels apart, my power mirror controls were sitting
UNDERNEATH the door trim piece.  it had always been loose and i thought it
was broken, but not enough to really concern me, just annoy me.  anyway,
tonight i was over at my storage place picking up a door panel for cleaning
at home when i looked at the mirror switch and realized it's supposed to pop
into the door trim piece from the TOP of it, judging by the way the clips on
the side of it work.  but the switch looks kind of funny there, it looked
better when sitting under it.

is it supposed to go on top or on the bottom??  i'm thinking a previous owner
didn't know how to put it back together.  i know someone has been in there
before because the trim piece has a hairline crack in it and there isn't any
protective plastic glued to the frame anymore.

as always - thanks!

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 07:28:27 -0000
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>
Subject: Re: Seat Covers...

I am a small supply of "new old stock" as new condition, grey seat covers
now available, these are the original thing!  cost is $325 per pair of bases
only, or $800 for two bases and two backs. Including air mail postage. There
are only a few full sets left.
please email me directly at   chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net

Chris P DOC UK

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 08:55:45 +0100
From: "M.C. de Bruin" <debruin_at_dml_dia.eur.nl>
Subject: Battery Cut Off Switch

Hi Gary,

"I was wondering what experiences other owners have had with battery cut
off switches."

I also have the cut off switch with the big red plastic key, I don't
know what brand it is. It was already installed in my car when I bought
it last year. Mine however is installed in a strange but handy place.
The previous owner drilled a hole in the wooden backboard right next to
the battery compartment cover. The key comes through the carpet right
next to where the carpet flips up to reveal the battery cover.
If I take out the key it just leaves a small black round key hole that
is covered by the carpet (I can even let the key in there and drape the
carpet over the key).
The strange part is, that the connection is not inside the battery
compartment but on the other side of the right hand wall so I can not
see how it is connected without removing the wooden backbord.
It works fine though and it is as good as invisible.

Mads de Bruin
Netherlands
VIN#06881

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 01:27:40
From: "doctor who" <ohwrd_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Hello list!

Take it with a grain of salt. Since I've been on this list I've seen alot of
the same questions get asked over and over again. So it's gets tired for the
ppl who regularly contribute and the ones who just lurk.
Ppl will log into the dml and ask the same old questions w/out first asking
where the archive are becasue they want someone to walk them through the
process.

I mean I for one could go w/out another discussion on redsigning the fan
fail module for the 600th time. Or someone w/a busted speedo cable
etc...etc...

There is alot of knowledge here. There are alot of very experienced car ppl
here as well. Occasionally what is obvious for those of us who have been
here longer is not obvious to the person asking the question.

I think everyone can agree there are several ways to fix any problem and
what you choose for your solution is strictly a matter of personal OPINION.

Hang in there. Become one w/the archives, there are some pretty kewl photos
there too. Try to find a club in your area or a car mentor who can bring you
up to speed on the updates and preventive maintenance.

All of the updates are great they are all backed by the ppl who designed
them. Sometimes net-egos get in the way but this group is really a wealth of
information. And I dont think anyone here would give you mis-information on
purpose. But then again they why where all here in the first place. To fix
it as it breaks and have a good time inbetween. Keepin' the dream alive!

cheers,
dr c.

From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
In a message dated 2/11/01 2:02:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net writes:

<< Hello people, I'm trying to determine whether you're a bunch of nice
  folks trying to help the less fortunate or just waiting for someone to
  make a statement of some sort so that you can jump on them.  I've been
  an owner for about 2 weeks and can't possibly know everything there is
  to know in a time frame of less than 60 days >>

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:48:14 -0000
From: seanm_at_dml_atlcom.net
Subject: Re: Front section Frame repair

David,
   If it is the Front Frame Extension or the "crumple tube" that you
are speaking of,Rob Grady now has newly manufactured front extensions
that are thicker than stock and powdercoated to prevent rust. We
spoke with Rob and he said that he has the only jig for installing
the front member properly to the frame, but can talk a frame worker
through the job with out a problem. To see the Front Frame Extension
visit rob Gradys site https://ssl.internetcreations.com/e-
shop/grady/store/perlshop.cgi . By the way if this is the item you
are talking about replacing you are going to want to pull the rack,
radiator, and anti-sway bar.

Sean

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 23:19:25 -0600
From: "David B. Hill" <dhill_at_dml_hillresearch.com>
Subject: RE: Battery cut-off switch

>>I was wondering what experiences other owners have had with battery cut
off
switches.

I use and like the Sears battery that has a wireless keyfob switch to switch
off the battery. They market it as a security feature. Also, has the
additional feature of stopping battery drain before it completely
discharges, always a threat with a Delorean.

David Hill

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 07:52:14 -0800
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Tri-Flow spray

When it was introduced nationally some years back they gave away small
cans as samples.  I tried it and it seemed ok but didn't seem to do more
than WD-40, I never got deeply into it.  No product does it all, no
reason not to have both.  As I recall, Tri-Flow had more of a silicone
involvement than WD-40, sort of a three different types of ingredients
idea, hence the Tri in the name.  Some of the silicone family are really
great, I use as a lube a silicone "grease" that is used primarily as a
heat transference entity between transistors and heat sinks.  Not the
white stuff that is used so often, that dries out, this is almost clear
in color and does not dry out.  I first mutil-used it in rebuilding a
turbo and had trouble getting a carbon cylinder in place, put a little
of this on it and it slid right in.  Became a believer and now find many
uses for it, particularly with ink jet printers.  Here's the point of
this, I put a very thin film of it on my keys to lubricate the pins
inside the cylinder when starting a new project such as the D.  I did a
lot of lock cylinder rebuilding and re-keying and the pins do wear down.

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:25:42 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <oehcs_at_dml_flash.net>
Subject: Re: looking to buy a "project" DeLorean

 How much of a project are you looking for.?

I bought a delorean destroyed in a fire a number of  years ago, mainly
for spare parts for $2000.  Needless to say ,  not much left.  However,
there is essentially a complete chassis,  frame, wheels, radiator,
brakes, fuel tank, engine and transmission,  The frame has surface rust
from the paint being burned off but it is solid and has been stored out
of the rain.

The stainless was damaged and heat warped.  If one wanted to bondo this
and paint the car, they could be used.  This is the stuff I really
wanted. in case I ever wrecked my D and would paint it. But I really
don't need it now.

What you would need is the fiberglass body. (I have heard that PJ Grady
has some of these from cars he has stripped), and a complete interior.
wiring, etc. front fascia. I have a rear.

You could rent a trailer and haul the stuff to PA.

Any interest?

BOB Brandys

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:24:26 -0800
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Hose routing wisdom, please!

Finally found where my loose hose should go.  The control pressure
regulator was originally connected to the thermal vacuum valve, through
this hose, with the purpose of an enrichment shot of fuel, upon
acceleration, at temperatures below 40 degrees, at least that's my read
for now.  The pressure regulator is now connected directly into the
vacuum port bypassing the thermal valve.  Was there a reason for this?
Please give me a response.  Thanks.

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:37:39 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: um... where does the power mirror switch go?

Andy,

Both the mirror switch and blank panel on the opposite door are designed to
snap into the lower door panel support bracket.

"We're here to help you"

Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:46:04 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Fascia Paint

I did a long article last summer on the refinishing of the front facias with
lots of pictures
I believe it is still in the vault under facia repainting

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:21:47 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

The best thing to do in this case is to keep your eyes and ears open.
Sometimes driving through an older neigborhood you may just catch a
glimpse of a D sitting in someones driveway or their backyard. If you
ever go to someplace like an auto parts store, or better yet a speed
shop, ask around. Someone may have a tidibt of info that could lead
you in the right direction as well. If you have cash in hand and
you're ready to buy, take an ad out in the paper under the wanted
section. There were dealerships in all 50 states, so there is bound
to be a car or two near you.

<SNIP>

Date: 16 Feb 2001 00:06:15 -0000
From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: New poll for dmcnews

Enter your vote today!  A new poll has been created for the
dmcnews group:

Who's attending the DOA Eurofest in
Ireland? If so, please indicate your
interest in a DML Face-to-face.
Votes are being tallied but not be
displayed. I'll contact everyone at the
end, offline. ---Dave

  o I'm going, and I'm interested in a DML-FTF
  o I'm going, but I'll just see you-all around
  o I'm not going but wanted to vote anyway
  o See you in Houston

web site listed above.

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:55:08 -0000
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

It is. The "Vault" is now refererred to as "Files" an can be seen by
logging into the yahoo Groups page at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews

The files are in the folder "Ken's Paintfest 2000"

Ken's articles are # 8722, 8727, 8755, 8797, and 8838 in the Yahoo
archive. I found this by searching on kkoncelik and looking
for "facia". I probably ought to extract them and move them to the
tech pages - - - someday. Good stuff.

Dave Swingle

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:14:24 EST
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Front section Frame PICTURE

Hello List,
    Nick was nice enough to post a picture of my frame on his website so you
could all see what my frame looks like.  Is there anything I should know
before bringing it to the frame shop?  I just told them I wanted the rusted
through plate cut off and a new one welded on with holes drilled in it.  I
will also have them coat it in POR-15.

You can view the picture at
http://members.aol.com/njp548/daves_frame_rust.jpg

Thanks
David

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:51:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Horseman of PA <the_horseman_pa_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: looking to buy a "project" DeLorean

Thank you to all of you who answered my question, the
fire damaged project is more then i think I can
handel. I don't think I smart enough to do that one.
and the other one for $6,000 is more then I have.
thank you again to all of you who had either a
sugesstion or a lead. seems I might just have to dream
for now.

Wayne

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:30:28 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Car Show /John DeLorean

The DeLorean Car Show Web site is back and up and kinda running
if a link or two doesn't work don't fret we are working on it.
Gary has been kind enough to help reload it on his server so we are doing
what is necessary to get it directed properly.

One added feature

John DeLorean and I had a conversation last week about the events leading to
the closing of the car company.  He requested that I put up some of the
documetation used in the trial and share it with you.

The pages have been scanned and are in the process of being loaded.

John wanted to share these with you as a written letter he used in the trial
and the recent court actions he filed in August 2000.

There are 26 pages and it is long reading but I hope you enjoy it,.

In Johns own words "DeLorean owners are the most loyal owners" of any car.

I will repost a notice when that section is up and running.

I have some obligations that will take me about a week or so to complete so I
hope to have it loaded by the end of next weekend.

<A HREF="http://deloreancarshow.com">Delorean Car Show.</A>

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 22:03:11 EST
From: jus4sho_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Front section Frame PICTURE

David, it looks like you ran into about the same thing I did on 02650.  I had
to drill out the spot welds to remove the rotted section.  I'm going to clean
the inside of the frame and recoat it before I weld in a new piece of sheet
metal.  FYI, the bad corrosion in that area is the result of a combination of
things: 1) As you mentioned, there's no drain hole and 2) The epoxy barely
made it into this section, leaving about half the metal inside this area
completely bare.  (Once I removed the lower plate, I could see how the epoxy
must have came in the little hole at the top, and barely made it halfway down
the sides before tapering to a paper-thin edge.)

You can see the shots of the frame cut open on my site:
http://www.angelfire.com/md2/projectdelorean/fr0101.html

Steve
    VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")