From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 414
Date: Saturday, February 17, 2001 4:42 PM

1. Re: POR-15 paint
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

2. Seat covers....(again)
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: Original Delco specs (was Hello List!)
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

4. A Sad day for me
From: "Derrick Viane" <clarion9375r_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Re: Re: Rusty metal fix
From: "William F. Lane" <blane_at_dml_netunlimited.net>

6. Old Topic:History Channel-John Z. DeLorean
From: LtOffspri232_at_dml_aol.com

7. ETDOC meet
From: Aaron Posey <cadysrme_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. New Delorean Coming Out?
From: Michael Pike <iqintermedia_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Re: Intermittant lights
From: "Kevin Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

10. Re: Probs with fuel pump & RPM relay
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: movie
From: mcgauley_at_dml_cig.mot.com

12. Fred Lockett
From: dmcfrancis_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Seat Covers...
From: dmcfrancis_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: halogen back-up lights
From: "Atkinson Family" <mikeatk_at_dml_concentric.net>

15. DeLorean on Car & Driver Today
From: "Noah & Paula Huffman" <nphuffman_at_dml_mindspring.com>

16. Re: parts cross-compatibility
From: seanm_at_dml_atlcom.net

17. Re: New Delorean Owner here_at_dml_
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

18. Re: Rusty metal fix
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

19. Third Brake Light
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

20. Re: Zilla Says Howdy to All + Walt
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

21. Re: Re: Probs with fuel pump & RPM relay
From: at88mph_at_dml_mobis.com

22. 350 in a D / missing DML Digests
From: Farrar Hudkins <smeghead79_at_dml_home.com>

23. Looking for New (Delorean owner) person in town
From: "William F. Lane" <blane_at_dml_netunlimited.net>

24. Re: Re: halogen back-up lights
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

25. Re: Intermittant lights
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 20:36:18 EST
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: POR-15 paint

Les,

      Go onto POR-15's web page and read all that you want to read about it.
Its really great stuff.

http://www.por15.com/

Later,
Nick
1852
<A HREF="Http://members.aol.com/njp548">Http://members.aol.com/njp548</A>

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 20:38:51 EST
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Seat covers....(again)

Hey List,

      After I sent a post to the DML asking about seat covers for my seats, I
got a few responses personally telling me about the leather seat covers.  I'm
looking for the "furry ones" that go OVER the leather seat covers so I can
cover up my original leather seats until I have the money to get the leather
replaced.  Sorry for the confusion.

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 20:43:56 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Original Delco specs (was Hello List!)

In a message dated 2/11/01 2:02:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net writes:

<< Is the Delco maintenance free  battery 78A72 the exact replacement for the
original Delco freedom  battery?  By measurement and post location it looks
to be. >>

I didn't have an answer last week but now maybe I can shed some light on
this.  We've established since that e-mail that the exact model may not be
critical for judging purposes and that the current Optima is a better choice.
 But if you still want to know if it's a match, you need to know what exactly
the original was, and I doubt there are many out there still installed to
look at!  But here's some info on the original. I came across it today
looking through some of my reference materials for the New DeLorean Manuals
Project.  From the handwritten (unpublished) classroom notes of a technician
during factory training:

"AC Delco Freedom Battery, Maintenance Free approx. 75 Ah, Model 071-89 MF4
Group size BCI-74  12 v     Weight 19.5 Kg   Performance rating: SAE J537
Reserve capacity at 27 deg. C.  -  125 mins. at 25 amp discharge
Cold cranking amps at - 18 deg. C.  500 amps to 7.2 v (30 sec)
Cold cranking amps at - 29 deg. C.  395 amps to 7.2 v (30 sec)"

I would think that info would allow a Delco dealer to find a match.  If not,
the passage of time, (a local Delco guy here couldn't find it,) or the fact
that the batteries apparently came from AC Delco Europe may be the reason.  I
don't know if that model was used in the US or not.

-Wayne A. Ernst
The New DeLorean Manuals Project

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 02:05:37
From: "Derrick Viane" <clarion9375r_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: A Sad day for me

To all on the list,

    It has come to the day where I cannot afford my D anylonger I have been
putting this off for a while now hoping I would come across some money, but
it has not happend so I forced to sell it for the sake of my new daughter.
Down to the info:

1981

Automatic

original front tires

previous owner changed the fuel pump, I changed the accumulator

some front fascia "eyebrow effect"

approx 12k miles

No dents or dings

appraised by Holt autosales at $22,000-$24,000

If you have any other questions please email me at ghettod_at_dml_voyager,net

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 22:16:46 -0500
From: "William F. Lane" <blane_at_dml_netunlimited.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Rusty metal fix

I've been reading about POR-15 on the list for a long time but I don't
recall anyone telling who manufactures it or where you can get it.  Can
anyone on the list supply this info?

Thanks,

Bill Lane
vin 3635

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:10:58 EST
From: LtOffspri232_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Old Topic:History Channel-John Z. DeLorean

       Howdy all,
                   Has anyone else seen the History channel's Great Blunders
in history about DeLorean? After I saw that for the first time, I think they
took a rather unfair point-of-view. They pointed out all of his mistakes, and
how the British government lost large amounts of money, how Mr. DeLorean was
arrested, but overall lost little personal money,  They never pointed out the
accomplishments, and amazing things Mr. DeLorean did. I am completely
disgusted they would take such a stance. Mr. DeLorean deserves much more
credit for even attmpting to start a car company, let alone last for as long
as he did, and make the amazing and great cars that are still around today.

C.B
VIN# - Still Saving.

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 20:11:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Aaron Posey <cadysrme_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: ETDOC meet

Hello Everyone!

I am just reminding everyone of the meet that some of us
local owners have planned for the 25th of this month.  You
can visit  www.etdoc.com  for a short summary of the plans
and directions.

This is the first meet of ETDOC (East Tennessee DeLorean
Owner's Club) and hope to get a good turn out. I know we
have had several people interested in the area of
NC,KY,AL,VA,and of course TN-looks like we will have a good
turnout.

Knoxville, Tennessee is centrally located in the southern
part of the US, and is very easy to get to. Two of the
country's major interstates run through it (I-40 & I-75,
and is near I-81).

Feel free to contact me with any questions on directions or
plans!

Best Regards-

AARON POSEY

cadysrme_at_dml_yahoo.com

800-936-6904  m-s/9-6
865-310-2228  anytime

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 22:47:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Michael Pike <iqintermedia_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: New Delorean Coming Out?

Greetings all,

I had heard from several sources (reliable or not I
cannot say), that John Delorean was again going to
begin making an automobile.

Further, I heard it would be out in last qtr of 2001
or first qtr of 2002, with a sticker price of
$160,000.

Is this true, and if so, are there any sites that show
photos of the new model Delorean?

Again, I would think something like that would be on
the Delorean support web sites, but I have seen no
mention of it, and thought someone here might know.

thanks,

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 00:49:12 -0600
From: "Kevin Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Intermittant lights

David- I've been thinking of adding a third brake light too.
Could I see pictures of yours? And Vendor/part #'s in case I like it?

Also, I've wanted to add driving lights to improve my visibility, but
am unsure about the electrical load it would create. (especially since
I need to recharge my A/C and it runs too much). I just checked
and the alternator is Motorola 90amp-- is that the stock or slightly
improved model?

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 06:58:43 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Probs with fuel pump & RPM relay

88, Knut is correct naturally, My 2 cents is: the coil he is talking
about is in the distributor ( impulse coil ). I show it on my site.
If it goes out, you will not be able to start the car unless you hot
wire it.I know, I just installed a new one in my 11004.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 07:04:43 -0000
From: mcgauley_at_dml_cig.mot.com
Subject: Re: movie

I wanted to give a quick update about the DeLorean movie "Room 501."
I'm sorry I haven't been able to respond to the emails I've been
getting, but ever since my server was hacked, I've been out of the
loop quite a bit as far as computers go.

Things are still going well with "Room 501," and hopefully the Web
site will be back up soon.  We took a temporary hiatus from the
production to buy the rights to the DeLorean documentary you might
see occasionally on Ebay.  We hope those of you who bought the movie
really enjoy it, as it was a pleasure to find and distribute this
rare movie.  As soon as the last of these tapes are sold, we'll
continue with "Room 501."  All further inquiries to the movie can be
directed to dmcgauley_at_dml_yahoo.com.

Thanks for the support.

-Daniel McGauley
Producer - Room 501

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 03:27:33 EST
From: dmcfrancis_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Fred Lockett

I have been reading thru my Delorean work magazines I got for X-mass and
noticed that Fred Lockett Sold alot of parts to modify DeLorean's...I was
wondering Does he still sell parts or might he have a few left to sell if he
is not in the DeLorean buisness?...Also Is Harry Ward still around and might
he have some leftover parts from his buisness? I hope this isn't a stupid
Question. But I have only been a owner since Fall of 99 and learn more about
the car everyday... Steve Francis. Vin 10676 MT.....P.S. Does anyone know
where i can get a Cat Converter by-pass pipe??? Here in Maine we have no
emissions testing and the DeLorean being a collector car woul be exempt from
Emissions testing in the future....Hope someone can awsner my
Questions....Steve...In Snowy Maine where it looks like us DeLorean Owners
will be able to Drive our cars by Mid-July....

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 03:30:06 EST
From: dmcfrancis_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Seat Covers...

Hi Nick...I have a set of new Sheepskin seat covers...I bought them for my
car but decided to let a local shop recover my seats in Leather....The Covers
are not DMC option covers. I bouth them off Vivky Miller who sells alot of D
parts....They have never been used...If u are interested I could send a
pic....Steve Francis...10676 Portland Maine..

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 02:20:18 -0700
From: "Atkinson Family" <mikeatk_at_dml_concentric.net>
Subject: Re: halogen back-up lights

FWIW, I added the halogen back-up lights about a year ago and haven't
noticed any problems with heat on the lenses so far.  Considering the short
amount of time that there on I don't think it's going to have much affect.

Mike Atkinson
vin 16232

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 07:45:40 -0500
From: "Noah & Paula Huffman" <nphuffman_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: DeLorean on Car & Driver Today

FYI- For those interested, Car & Driver, the TV show, is featuring the
DeLorean in their Classic Car section of their show today.  Check local
listings for the TNN channel.  This episode aired originally late 2000, so
this is a repeat.  Enjoy!

Noah Huffman
Atlanta, GA

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 13:41:28 -0000
From: seanm_at_dml_atlcom.net
Subject: Re: parts cross-compatibility

Syeve you said:

> DMC Joe said that he was in the process of getting the lower
control
> arms remanufactured by a machine shop so I believe they would be
> readily avail soon. Sounds like to much work to go through to cut
> down the Pinto's control arm and hope it aligns properly.
>
> I think the pinto rack is to short unless someone made adapters for
> it to extend it.
>
> Steve

I am part of the team that is manufacturing this new lower control
arm FROM SCRATCH. NO WAY are going to machine down some old pinto
part. We already have our new arm on a car and have a few more near
completion. We would hope people would not jump to conclusions on
things they dont know anything about. When the new arms come out they
will be priced right and made to fit for the DeLorean not some ford
bomb from years ago. So thanks for bringing attention to the project
again even though it may have been false, but attention none the less.
Thanks
Sean

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 09:52:45 -0500
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: New Delorean Owner here_at_dml_

Congratulations on your new DeLorean!  You will find that it draws attention
everywhere you go.  Expect to answer the same questions very often, such as:

Is it made of aluminum?
Where's the flux capacitor?
Does it go fast?
Isn't John DeLorean still in jail?
Does it use a helicopter engine?  (or Ford or Porche etc.)

I am pretty sure that the problem with your fuel gauge is totally unrelated
to the previous owner disconnecting the battery.  The original fuel sender
unit is very prone to failure, so chances are that is your problem.  If so,
there are 3 options:
1) fix your old sending unit, but that probably won't be practical.
2) replace it with a new old stock unit (very pricey according to DMC Joe).
3) replace it with the Tankzilla brand unit (also pricey but not as bad as
the NOS original).

My advice for anyone who is interested in buying a DeLorean is that they
either better be a good mechanic or have a great relationship with someone
who is.  I suggest you start asking around before you need a major repair.
Since the car is so rare and unusual, there are very few mechanics who are
familiar with it.

Welcome to the family,
Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 15:52:23 -0000
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com
Subject: Re: Rusty metal fix

You can buy it from www.por15.com. You can call them and find out if
there are any retail auto stores that carries it. Here in Long Island
NY, I found a speed shop called S-K Speed that has all of their
products on the shelf.

They make a few colors: Black, Grey and Clear. I don't know if the
grey is anywhere near the original grey on our chassis, I've only
used the Black.....so my entire chassis right now is Black :-P looks
allot better to me.

Steve

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 16:05:59 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Third Brake Light

I have received several e-mails asking about the third brake light I
installed. Technically it is called a center mounted third brake light
or CMTBL. You can get these things in any large auto supply, Hemmings
Motor News, or in many mail order magazines. There is nothing special
about it, you don't need a module to run it because the brake light
circuit is independent of the turn and tail circuits. I do think
fusing it separately is a good idea. As long as it is black plastic it
will be invisible if mounted on the louvre. I installed mine with
double stick tape so there aren't any holes. The one I bought was from
Gary Masie, he sells accessories and clothing for Deloreans. He can be
found in the Owner's Directory in New Jersey or you can e-mail him _at_dml_
rueski_at_dml_att.net. I generally don't endorse a particular vender but
that's where I got mine. I recommend installing one if for no other
reason then to make the car look more contemperory and to improve the
visability. With so many people using cell phones they can't miss the
3rd brake light at eye level.

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 16:11:56 -0000
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com
Subject: Re: Zilla Says Howdy to All + Walt

I was speaking to Mr. Zilla himself and he also said the same thing.
There is an error in the wiring diagram.

Almost every car with electric fans has their fans directly wired
from the battery. Ever walk by a car and hear the fan under the hood
still spining even the though the car is parked and off? They do this
so that if the car is still hot when you park and shut it off, it can
continue to cool the hot antifreeze if needed to. Once the temp drops
to a normal temp then a sensor shuts the fans down. I belive the Fan
Zilla does this also, If I'm wrong maybe Bob Z. or one of the vendors
can correct me? It is a nice feature to have.

An error in the Delorean manual/wiring diagram? <gasp>!

Maybe Wayne can correct this as he is creating the new Delorean
manual?

Steve

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 10:57:37 -0600
From: at88mph_at_dml_mobis.com
Subject: Re: Re: Probs with fuel pump & RPM relay

Knut and others,

Thanks for the info, but maybe I'm mistaken in my thinking.  I understand
that the white/slate is recieving pulses from the coil with the engine
running but, I thought that when you turned the key to just the 'run'
position, (before you turn the key to the start position to engage the
starter)  that the fuel pump gets primed for about 2-3 seconds.  Am I wrong
on this?  If I'm correct in assuming that the fuel pump primes for 2-3 sec.
in 'run' then the coil wouldn't be a factor at that point...or would it??
This is where I'm confused :)

Thanks for the help!,

Duke
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 11:11:52 -0600
From: Farrar Hudkins <smeghead79_at_dml_home.com>
Subject: 350 in a D / missing DML Digests

Hi, list!

First, I am missing digests #402 and 407, which should have appeared
while I was away last week in Philadelphia and Washington.

Second, a few of you have asked me to put you in touch with my brother
in law, who performed an engine swap on a DeLorean replacing the
original PRV engine with a GMC (I think) 350.  I have decided to give
out this information to whoever wants it.

His name is Aaron, and he is in Jacksonville, Florida. He has no e-mail.
His phone number is 904-886-0046, and keep in mind that's in the Eastern
Time Zone.  He is a very god mechanic, has all his own tools, and works
regularly on Porches and BMW's, so he knows how to be careful.  :)  To
my knowledge, however, he has never done body repairs with stainless.

All the best,
Farrar Hudkins
VIN# ... *sigh* not yet ...

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 12:46:07 -0500
From: "William F. Lane" <blane_at_dml_netunlimited.net>
Subject: Looking for New (Delorean owner) person in town

A neighbor told me this week that he met a guy recently that has moved
from  Raleigh, NC to Winston-Salem, NC and owns a Delorean.  If that
person is one of this e-group, please contact me.  I would like
introduce you to our little group of Delorean owners.

Contact me at blane_at_dml_netunlimited.net or 336 748-1211.

Thanks,

Bill Lane
vin3635

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 10:22:53 -0500
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: halogen back-up lights

The next time I take my tail light lens off, I'm going to measure the
wattage.  From the looks of it, it doesn't seem to put out anywhere near the
light that a 50 watt bulb should.  So far the lens doesn't seem to heat up
at all.  There seems to be plenty of room between the bulb and the lens, so
I'm not too worried about melting problems.  I'll keep you all posted.

Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 21:18:58 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
Subject: Re: Intermittant lights

The CHMSL that's installed on my car I believe came a Firebird. It
has
a rubber lip on the bottom to normally mount to the glass. But in my
case, it nicely attaches it self to the louver w/o the need for any
Bondo or epoxy. Lip looks nice and even. The unit bolts into place
w/2
bolts.

I thought about installing driving lights on my car as well since it
see's mostly night driving in the desert. A better solution are the
Cool Blue halogen lamps made by Sylvania. The Cool Blue bulbs are not
really blue, but more white. The bulbs only use a little more power
then stock, but the results are a whiter light with a broader range
of
visibility. Even with the lamps off in sunlight, you can notice a
huge
differance in the clarity of the glass lenses. Before adding driving
lights, try improving your headlights first. Chances are they're
about
20 years old. As far as power is concerned, I run the 90amp motorola,
and I've never had any problems.