From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 416
Date: Sunday, February 18, 2001 9:58 PM

1. Re: Re: parts cross-compatibility
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Old Topic:History Channel-John Z. DeLorean
From: "Don Ekhoff" <ekhoff_at_dml_seagullsolutions.net>

3. Re: parts cross-compatibility
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

4. Re: Old Topic:History Channel-John Z. DeLorean
From: "Richard W. Schauer" <rws_at_dml_enteract.com>

5. Re: door latch adjustments?`
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

6. Any owners in RI-MA-CT area?
From: DLoff80_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: Probs with fuel pump & RPM relay
From: knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com

8. Door Handles
From: "P & M Bailey" <Bailey7917_at_dml_home.com>

9. Thanks and Things
From: Michael Pike <iqintermedia_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. DeLorean inspired Opel/Vauxhall Astra Sportscar
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Re: NAPA's answer to Optima battery
From: raddad_at_dml_cmn.net

12. Re: Door Handles
From: "Scott Cagle" <sharkywtrs_at_dml_msn.com>

13. Re: Thanks and Things
From: "Scott Cagle" <sharkywtrs_at_dml_msn.com>

14. History Channel Show Copy
From: afprep88_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re:Door Lock Problems
From: graves_14_at_dml_hotmail.com

16. Re: Door Handles
From: Dee Moats <Dee-Moats_at_dml_excite.com>

17. Get Together
From: gullwing99_at_dml_aol.com

18. Car and Driver Question
From: "Patrick Cowan" <LilRedCivic_at_dml_cox.rr.com>

19. Re: Any owners in RI-MA-CT area?
From: fjk143_at_dml_aol.com

20. Just an Update
From: "Matthew Walker" <mwalker_at_dml_dragon-reach.org>

21. Re: Re: door latch adjustments?`
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

22. DelMarVA DeLorean Owners
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

23. Re: Door Handles (long)
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

24. Re: Door Handles
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

25. MAINE&New Hampshire owners
From: dmcfrancis_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:39:10 EST
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: parts cross-compatibility

Sean,

     You misunderstood what Steve said.  He said that there is no sense in
using a Pinto part when DMC Joe is in the process of making new ones and you
know that they definitely will work right for the car since they were made
for the car.  He didn't mean that you were using a Pinto part and modifying
it to fit the De Lorean.

Later,
Nick
1852
<A HREF="Http://members.aol.com/njp548">Http://members.aol.com/njp548</A>

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 18:22:40 -0800
From: "Don Ekhoff" <ekhoff_at_dml_seagullsolutions.net>
Subject: Re: Old Topic:History Channel-John Z. DeLorean

Dear DML

I am really proud of this group and all DeLorean owners and anyone else
actually associated with the car in any way.

In the 18 years I have been around them I have never heard an unkind
statement made about John DeLorean as a person by anyone in this group.
Think about it.  How is it possible that over an extended period of time and
with such a diverse cross section of people that I have never heard a
negative comment.  Surely someone would have had a bad day or just hit his
head on a drooping door; still not a single curse word toward the man.

I also find it interesting that both the British Government and the American
Government turned on him.  And then to add insult to injury the press piled
on top just for the headlines.

Draw your own conclusions, but again, I am really proud to count myself
among such a noble group of individuals.

Donald L. Ekhoff
Proud owner of Five DeLoreans and a real fan of Johns
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 03:34:34 -0000
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com
Subject: Re: parts cross-compatibility

Sorry if you misunderstood me but...what I meant was that you guys
were manufacturing NEW arms and telling Walt that it sounded like to
much work to modify a pinto lower arm if it did fit the Delorean (his
ORIGINAL post, go back and read it) and to just wait for the new ones
that are being made.

Sorry if it sounded wrong, I should have spaced that line down.

I take from your post that you didn't want "attention" towards the
project?? If that was so then if it was so "TOP SECRET" about it I
doubt that it would have been brought to my attention without
saying "just between you and I". I did not jump to any conclusion as
you said as the way you just did.

SORRY for the confusion,
Steve

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 21:40:01 -0600 (CST)
From: "Richard W. Schauer" <rws_at_dml_enteract.com>

I had way too much time on my hands last summer, so I transcribed this
show.  It is available at http://www.enteract.com/~rws/delorean.txt .

Richard Schauer

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 03:45:22 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: door latch adjustments?`

Try to follow the adjustment procedures in the manual. Make sure the
car is on level ground and engages both latches evenly and the latches
are centered in the lock as the door swings closed. This is an area
where you need specific expert advice from a mechanic who has adjusted
Delorean doors before. Your best bet if you have trouble with this is
to call one of the major Delorean venders who can talk you through it.
If you are a member of a local club maybe someone can help or go to an
event where someone with some experience can help. This can be a
serious problem because you could jam the door so it won't open or it
could open unexpectedly. You could also damage the lock module or
solenoids by trying to lock or unlock the door if it is jammed.
Sometimes a little lubrication is all that is needed but if the door
was forced it could have been knocked out of adjustment.

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 22:48:59 EST
From: DLoff80_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Any owners in RI-MA-CT area?

Hello all.
Just wondering if there are any owners in the RI-MA-CT area on this list who
wouldn't mind getting together with a fellow enthusiast (and a to be owner,
just saving up) sometime when they are passing through the littlest state in
the US.
Thanks
Dave Loffler
Providence RI
VIN - SAVING

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 05:28:50 -0000
From: knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com
Subject: Re: Probs with fuel pump & RPM relay

There is no "priming" that the RPM relay does. The relay has a
delayed shutoff of about 2-3 seconds, but it does not "prime" for a
couple seconds first.

The relay is activated upon the first impulse it detects from the RPM
sense, and it shuts off 2-3 seconds after the last impulse it
detects. For the fuel pump relay (also known as the RPM relay) to
activate, it first needs an impulse from the RPM sense. Once
activated it will stay activated until 2-3 seconds after the last
impulse it receives.

       Knut

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., at88mph_at_dml_m... wrote:
> Knut and others,

<snip>
> ... I thought that when you turned the key to just the 'run'
> position, (before you turn the key to the start position to engage
the
> starter)  that the fuel pump gets primed for about 2-3 seconds.  Am
I wrong

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 01:11:22 -0700
From: "P & M Bailey" <Bailey7917_at_dml_home.com>
Subject: Door Handles

A couple of months ago while I was surfing the net I came across a site where they were selling Delorean door handles made of steel or crome letters spelling out DELOREAN. Low and behold my door handle just popped off today. For the life of me I can't remember how to find that site again. I know DMC Houston and a few others have original replacements. To tell you the truth I think a 100 bucks for a cheap piece of plastic that will eventually break again is rediculous. If anyone out there knows where to get a good replacement PLEASE let me know.Thank you for your time.
bailey7917_at_dml_home.com

Vin.# 2031

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 00:22:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Michael Pike <iqintermedia_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Thanks and Things

First, I would like to thank everyone here for
replying to my "newbie" questions on here.  I think
its great there is so much support for such a great
car.  I was scared at first, but I think I will find
help when I need it thanks to this group.

Are there any Delorean owners in or around the
Albuquerque, NM area?  I know there is atleast one
other in town, but not sure if that person is on this
group or not.  The guy I bought this Delorean from was
not internet saavy, he had no idea about all the
resources on the net.

Second - another dumb newbie question.... as I
mentioned before, the car I have is in pristine
condition, not a spec of rust, or even a ding.  The
guy told me he uses copper/silver polish, followed by
a coat of Eagle-1 (armourall type product) on the
stainless steel, and if any scratches show up, he uses
a brillo pad and gently rubs them out.... however, he
did not mention if it's safe to take the car to a
standard pressure wash type car wash (no brushes, the
standard high powered spray)...

I need to wash this thing soon, and want to make sure
I keep the same level of care he did, as it's in
excellent shape.  So - is regular car wash safe?  Are
there certain areas that shouldn't be washed because
of exposed engine parts or anything?

Also, the car has black leather interior... flawless,
partly because the thing was rarely driven... I plan
on taking it out atleast once a month, if not atleast
once every two weeks, and owuld like to retain the
great interior - are there any LEATHER seat covers
that go over the seats for the Delorean, and if so,
where would one fine them?

I noticed a thread about brake lights going on also -
much to my dismay, I found the second flaw with my new
Delorean, the gas gauge was first, and thanks to a
fellow driver, I now realize I have no brake lights
:(.

Someone told me to check the fuses, which I will do,
if it turns out not to be the fuses, whats the next
most common problem, and is it pricey to get it fixed?

I can live without a fuel gauge if I must, but no
brake lights will cost me a fortune in tickets -
because the car is already a target, without
violations.

thanks,
Mike
vin #855

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 13:30:47
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: DeLorean inspired Opel/Vauxhall Astra Sportscar

Hmmm
Seems it took Opel/Vauxhall over 20 years to realize how doors on a sports
car should really open up ;-) Would be nice if this car got into production,
right now it's only a prototype.

Go to:
http://www.dinside.no/ds/owa/a.vis?id=21741

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 07:51:53 -0700
From: raddad_at_dml_cmn.net
Subject: Re: NAPA's answer to Optima battery

Wayne Ernst said:

"I called my local NAPA guy a few days ago and he was at a loss to identify
their equivalent to the Optima Red Top."
- - - - - - - - - - -

Here in the below zero weather of the mountains of Colorado, high "cold
cranking" batteries are a must.  Our NAPA store stocks these batteries.
Also, Interstate and Excide make the same style batteries with
specifications essentially identical to the Optima.  And, yes, the  prices
are from $25 to $40 less than the Optima.  My Optima died after 4 years and
it's death was due to an improper connection of a "trickle" charger
attached by a well meaning friend while I was off pedaling my bicycle
around the world last year.  So, I have no complaints with the Optima.  I
have, however, replaced it with the Interstate equivalent.

Dick Ryan

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 10:37:02 -0500
From: "Scott Cagle" <sharkywtrs_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Door Handles

The handles that both PJ Grady and DMC Houston sell are both metal. I just got mine 2 days ago from Rob Grady, and they are some heavy duty handles, definately not anything you're going to have to worry about in the future with.  And trust me, 80 dollars or so is a definate cheap price compared with having to crawl in from the passenger side repeatedly.

Scott

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 10:42:55 -0500
From: "Scott Cagle" <sharkywtrs_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Thanks and Things

Mike;

First let me stress, do not use BRILLO pads on the car.  They contain pieces of actual steel which can get imbedded in the grain of the panels and corrode, making it look like the car is rusting.  Use Scotchbrite pads, available at any of the DMC vendors.
Second, I have taken mine through numerous car washes, brushless and with brushes.  The only thing I have ever worried about is the effect it might have on the louvers, but so far, no problems.
The brake lights are usually bad to go out.  Your best bet is to call one of the vendors and ask how much their replacement brake light circuits are.  This is usually the problem, as the old ones were not real high grade and prone to go out.  Hope all of this helps!!!

Scott

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 11:35:18 EST
From: afprep88_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: History Channel Show Copy

Dear DMLers,

I have been a member of this group for about a year and i knew that people
had copies of numerous shows that feature Delorean and his car.  I was
wondering if i could get copies of shows from people for a school project
(hopefully this one, the E! biography, and a videotape of Room 501).  I may
have to use footage from "The People vs Larry Flynt".  Can anybody help me
with any videotapes pertaining to DeLorean.  I'd be willing to pay for the
tapes and for shipping costs.  Thanks fellow D enthusiasts.

Chris Miller
VIN #- Soon

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 17:40:52 -0000
From: graves_14_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: Re:Door Lock Problems

Hats off to you! That was the problem. Turns out that the white ring
was very sticky. I put some silicone spray on it, and now all is
great! I took the whole door apart, and needless to say it wasn't
easy. Try finding the keyed versions of the fir trees anywhere! My
solenoid seems to be strong. Before I noticed there was a slight
delay between the two doors locking... one would finish locking
before the other one. Now both are clicking away without effort.
Couple of squirts saved me a bundle!

Thanks List!

Tyler

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Mark Hershey" <dmcinfo_at_dml_t...> wrote:
> David's  probably right--sounds like excessive drag on the lock
mech. I've
> found two places on mine:
>
> 1) If you have a two key deLorean (door key and ignition are
different), the
> door lock cylinders have a white nylon outer ring that is supposed
to rotate
> freely a few degrees around the lock cylinder body. This ring is
connected
> to the lock bellcrank via a wire bail; it's what mechanically moves
the
> bellcank when you turn the door key to the extreme right or left
but allows
> you to use the inside rocker and solenoid without actually turning
the lock
> cylinder (which of course couldn't turn if it has no key in it).
Both of
> mine developed so much drag over time that the lock solenoids would
only
> work when the car was running and the supply voltage was an extra
volt or
> two high. So much drag that it took a noticable extra effort to
move the
> rocker by hand. Silicone spray on the outside of the lock cylinder
cured it
> (access by removing upper inside door trim or might be able to get
a spray
> nozzle nearby by rolling down the window. ) Should probably be
careful to
> avoid spraying silicone into lock cylinder. Apparently later 1-key
DeLoreans
> don't have this problem.

 -snip

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 09:49:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Dee Moats <Dee-Moats_at_dml_excite.com>

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 01:11:22 -0700, bailey7917_at_dml_home.com wrote:
"I know DMC Houston and a few others have original replacements. To tell you
the truth I think a 100 bucks for a cheap piece of plastic that will
eventually break again is rediculous. "

My door handle was replaced by DMC Houston just recently and the replacement
was an all metal piece not the original OEM plastic.  I also think that 100
bucks for a cheap piece of plastic is a steep price to pay but most OEM
pieces are expensive.  By the way how long did that cheap piece of plastic
last? hmm must be something wrong!  A cheap piece of plastic shouldn't last
that long!
Dee-Moats_at_dml_excite.com
#04434 (Original owner)

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 13:07:01 EST
From: gullwing99_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Get Together

    Hello fellow D lovers,
 I was wondering if there were any owners that would like to get together
here in West Virginia,,,as far as I know I am the only hillbilly here on the
list,,,I have a great location to have a picnic or what ever,,,there is
always tons of shows on the weekends to go to during the summer and I have
plenty of parking here at my home and also I could park up to 10 cars in
secured garages,,,,hotels are only 7 miles away and there are plenty of
country back roads for us to cruise. If anyone would be interested please
e-mail me.
   Thanks
   Brad Vincent
   vin: 16709

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 12:48:03 -0500
From: "Patrick Cowan" <LilRedCivic_at_dml_cox.rr.com>
Subject: Car and Driver Question

I just watched the Car and Driver thing on the delorean....

I thought it was a PRV (peugot, renault, volvo)

The gentleman on the show claims it as a Renault. Thats all he said.

Whats the deal? Was Renault the manufacturer of the PRV or something?\

"Raven"
Patrick Cowan
(703) 457-9315 (Pager/Voicemail)
LilRedCivic_at_dml_Cox.rr.com

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 13:36:09 EST
From: fjk143_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Any owners in RI-MA-CT area?

Hello Dave,

I am from Mystic, CT and have owned 6894 since I was a kid in 81.  I am hadicapped now so I don't get around much even though I still love and buy and sell cars so my kids can get the bug as I did (they have it)when I was their age.

I was planning on going to Newport for lunch today even, but I feel very poor and, as a result, am not going.  That is pretty much the way I live my life...pretty impromptu these days.

I have some meetings in Boston this Thursday and Friday so maybe we can have a Coke one of those days.  This (email) medium is the best way to get in touch with me as I run it constantly at my office.  If one of those days is possible to say "Hi" for you, let me know and I'll see if I can schedule something.

My car is in Houston for restoration and upgrades so I porbably won't see it for awhile, but I did just get a 2001 Porsche 996 Twin Turbo that is incredible...I can only drive a few miles at a time as my left leg is very weak for the clutch but what an adrenaline rush for a few miles...

Welcome to the list and future DMC ownership!

Fred
6894
fjk143_at_dml_aol.com

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 12:46:19 -0600
From: "Matthew Walker" <mwalker_at_dml_dragon-reach.org>
Subject: Just an Update

I still haven't gotten the transmission completely fixed, but I haven't
posted in a while so I thought I would.

It seems I ran into a problem that was a little more urgent.  I filled
the car up with gas on the way to work one day - as I finished the
attendant stated they could smell gas from way behind the car.  Another
person who I was speaking to about the car noticed a puddle under the
car, sure enough it was gas pouring down from the tank :(

Well I moved the car over to a parking spot, got someone to come pick me
up and the following day got the car home.  I removed the gas tank
access panel and saw that the gas was coming up from the fuel pump area.
After looking at the shop manual, and parts manual I then realized this
car did not have the fuel pump cover on it, and it seemed as if the boot
that drops down into the tank was for the most part gone around the
bottom.  Fuel lines were also in pretty bad shape.  I knew they were but
hadn't replaced them yet since they were still functional and I wasn't
sure how to replace them.

I went ahead and ordered from DMC Houston their kit of Pump, filter,
hoses boot and cover.  Got it 2 days later, ( not bad for ups ground
ship ) and installed it yesterday.  Later yesterday I finally got a
chance to take it around the block for a test spin, all was fine.  So I
thought anyway, I took it for a short drive not to far, as I pulled up
to a stop sign the engine died, and of course the car would not restart.
BTW for anyone wondering yes there was gas in the car.  Since it was
well after dark, and very cold I managed to get the car into a parking
lot and called my wife to come get me.  *sigh*  Now I get to go get the
car or have it towed.  Hopefully it is just a loose hose that the
pressure pushed off.  ( I doubt it though I checked them all pretty
good, I didn't want to have to redo this.)

Sorry for the rambling post, but I kind of needed to vent a little.

Matthew L. Walker

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 13:50:54 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: door latch adjustments?`

In a message dated 2/18/01 9:21:26 AM Central Standard Time,
jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net writes:

> Try to follow the adjustment procedures in the manual. Make sure the
> car is on level ground and engages both latches evenly and the latches
> are centered in the lock as the door swings closed. This is an area
> where you need specific expert advice from a mechanic who has adjusted
> Delorean doors before. Your best bet if you have trouble with this is
> to call one of the major Delorean venders who can talk you through it.
> If you are a member of a local club maybe someone can help or go to an
> event where someone with some experience can help. This can be a
> serious problem because you could jam the door so it won't open or it
> could open unexpectedly. You could also damage the lock module or
> solenoids by trying to lock or unlock the door if it is jammed.
> Sometimes a little lubrication is all that is needed but if the door
> was forced it could have been knocked out of adjustment.
> David Teitelbaum

thanks for the advice David.  i think i will try to lubricate everything up
really well and see if that helps.  this has not been a chronic problem, just
when it's been below zero in my storage garage.  i suspect the car is just
'acting up'.  i will not try to adjust my latches until i have some qualified
people in my presence!

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 15:42:33 EST
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: DelMarVA DeLorean Owners

    Would any owners from the Washington, DC, Northern, VA, Maryland,
Delaware, Pennsylvania areas like to get together?

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:05:56 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Door Handles (long)

Now's as good a time as any to announce that De Lorean Motor Company has
completely remanufactured exterior door handle ASSEMBLIES (not just the
handle) available as of Monday morning.

These assemblies have been unavailable for years, and the interim solution
was a hand-cast aluminum handle only. To install these you had to remove the
old handle and then take it apart to fit the new handle, and then put it all
back together. In our experience, they always required some manipulation to
make them fit, and the total labor time was about 1.5 hours. They also
usually required adjustments to the lock and latch mechanisms. Finally, they
were also expensive, retailing for almost $100.

The last two winters they've been particularly hard to get, and last fall we
started a program to have the entire assemblies remade. By having the entire
assembly made, we had control over the quality using higher quality
materials like the zinc handle, as well as the added bonus of ease of
installation. By sourcing them ourselves, we ensure a steady reliable
supply, as well. The program has been a success. Not only were all the
aforementioned things accomplished, we were able to bring the retail price
down by about 10 percent.

The new door handle assemblies are available from De Lorean Motor Company
for $89.95 each, or as a pair for $159.95. They carry a lifetime guarantee,
if one should ever fail while you own the car, it will be replaced at no
charge. We will be offering these assemblies to the other vendors as well,
and expect they will carry them, though their pricing and guarantee may
vary.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:08:12 EST
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

I put the metal door handles on from PJ Grady. Works very well. Installation
was very simple.

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:03:36 EST
From: dmcfrancis_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: MAINE&New Hampshire owners

I was wondering if there were any more owners in Maine on the List Besides
Tom Watkins And I (Steve Francis)... And if there are any owners in New
Hampshire on the list....Steve 10676