From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 420
Date: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 7:11 PM

1. Re: Car and Driver Question
From: Dee Moats <Dee-Moats_at_dml_excite.com>

2. Re: Re: Renault Engines? Alpine A310, cousin of the DeLorean.
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

3. Re: DeLorean Specialties Inc.
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

4. New Door Handle assembly
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

5. Re: Door Handles
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

6. Re: Probs with fuel pump & RPM relay
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

7. temp gauge
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

8. wide black stripe.
From: Stephen Jones <smj_at_dml_delorean.com>

9. Stephen Arrington connection
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: John DeLorean letter
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

11. Re: temp gauge
From: Chris Spratt <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>

12. Re: temp gauge
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

13. Re: Stephen Arrington connection
From: "De Miller" <demillerkansas_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Update, just for fun
From: "Matthew Walker" <mwalker_at_dml_dragon-reach.org>

15. Floor Jack jacking instructions please!
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

16. Re: Door Handles (who has plastic?...)
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Re: John DeLorean letter
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

18. Here again!
From: sean_dmc1_at_dml_hotmail.com

19. Leaking front windshield
From: mwalker_at_dml_dragon-reach.org

20. Re: DeLorean Specialties Inc.
From: delorean_pilot_at_dml_yahoo.com

21. Re: Re: Renault Engines? Alpine A310, cousin of the DeLorean.
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>

22. cross reference
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

23. co mix screw
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

24. 5-speed vs. Automatic
From: "Sean Spurlock" <sean_dmc1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. Re: Re: Door Handles (who has plastic?...)
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:30:37 -0800 (PST)
From: Dee Moats <Dee-Moats_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Re: Car and Driver Question

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:25:39 EST, CIASleeper22_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

"In the end I believe they were all manufactured by Volvo."

I had heard that Volvo developed the engine and the factory was built and
jointly owned by Renualt and Fiat, it was built in France for use by several
european car companies, French, Swedish, Italian and also the DeLoreans.

Dee-Moats_at_dml_excite.com
Vin #04434

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 00:18:04 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Renault Engines? Alpine A310, cousin of the DeLorean.

Robert,

As reported earlier there are differences in the DeLorean PRV-6 that set it
apart from the rest of this fine family of engines. Much of the claimed 200
hp in the Alpine is due to the absence of pollution controls and devices
which are fitted to the DeLorean version of this engine.

"We're here to help you"

Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 02:37:40 EST
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: DeLorean Specialties Inc.

Dear Fred,

    How are you?
    How is the Banking Business?

    I purchased some DeLorean memorabilia from you before. I remember your
full page advertisements in the DeLorean Worlds. I'm glad to see that you are
still around and    interested in the DeLorean.
    Do you have any items currently for sale?

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:00:00 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: New Door Handle assembly

A few people have asked about the door handles, so here is a link to a photo
of the new door handle assemblies.

Any questions, please email me.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 00:15:59 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Door Handles

Sorry Dee.

Let my try this again.

P & M Bailey, Who is selling plastic door handles for $100?

DMC Joe

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 05:31:57 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Probs with fuel pump & RPM relay

Joe, Your correct. What I meant to say and left off by mistake: If
the impulse coil in the distributor goes out, you will not be able to
start the car unless you hot wire (the fuel pump). Under normal
conditions, the car would have to cool down before it will restart
and drive a little futher untill the impulse coil heats up again,
then a defective impulse coil will open and the car will die again. I
have driven about 1 to 2 miles b/4 it heats up again. I was trying to
clarify what Knut said (Quote): The RPM relay receives an impulse
from the coil. A lot of people may assume ignition coil instead of
impulse coil. Some people my not even know there is an impulse coil
in the distributor and what it does. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.
I have a eraser on my pencil to.
John
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:47:15 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: temp gauge

Hey all,

many thanks for all of the answers to my questions so far.  here's a new one
for you:

my temp gauge is stuck.  yes.  it is stuck at 140, i think.  ever since i
bought the car, the temp gauge has been in this position, and that's a little
scary.  when you turn the key it doesn't move, and after you've been driving
for a while it doesn't move.  a previous owner told me that the gauge was a
little sketchy for him also but his mechanic found some exposed wires and it
magically worked again.  but it has never worked for me.

does this make any sense?  i would think that exposed wires would cause the
needle to just rest at 0 instead of staying at a position higher up.  if this
has happened to anyone else, let me know what you did to fix it!

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 06:52:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Stephen Jones <smj_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: wide black stripe.

I was curious if anyone knew were I could get a
black stripe.  If there are no NOS, maybe someone
could recommend a source for the specs so a detailer
could make one.

YourName_at_dml_delorean.com -- it's free from <a href="http://www.delorean.com"> DeLorean Motor Company</a>!

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:24:01 -0000
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Stephen Arrington connection

Hi everybody,
check out this link about a book called "Journey into Darkness - The
fall guy in the world famous John Z. DeLorean drug trial"
by Stephen L. Arrington
http://www.drugsbite.com/pages/journey.htm
Has anyone read this book, or does anyone know how this man was
involved in that mess back in 1982? No reference seems to be made to
this man in John DeLoreans autobiography, or any other book I've read.
It's another one that can be added to the bibliography list at
dmcnews.com anyway!
Best wishes,
John Dore, Ireland.

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:06:11 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
Subject: Re: John DeLorean letter

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_d...> wrote:
<SNIP>
> Top of Page 11, "British Sickness"?  The context implies that Sir
Cork is a
> homosexual.  Although I have never heard this term before, it seems
politically
> incorrect..  I guess JZD does not care.
<SNIP>

Not to start an argument here or anything, but it's almost humorous
in a way that all these years JZD has been called a drug dealer, a
thief, a crook, what have you. Not to mention the fact that he has
been the butt of an endless amount of tasteless jokes. And all this
time not one person has ever said, "Hey, that's not nice." But the
first time JZD says something about someone else... JZD being called
anything derogitory is no more politicly incorrect then anything he
may say about Sir Kenneth Cork, or anyone else for that matter. Just
about every reporter that has ever done any type of in-depth story on
JZD has kicked the man square in his teeth. If JZD is bitter about a
pizza arriving late to his house, let alone someone he's had bad run-
in's with, I don't blame the guy! As an owner of a DMC-12, like many
others here, I've heard more then my fair share of cocaine jokes just
as others have. And just like many people here, I am sick of them.
But has anyone ever thought of what it must be like for JZD to not
only hear the jokes, but end up being made the joke?

We live in a world where people lose considerable amounts of money on
the stockmarket, then end up killing themselves and thier families
because they can't handle that kind of pressure. Yet John DeLorean
has lost his family, his home, his reputation, and saw his dream of
building his own car company senselessly murdered by others due to
their own political whims. In comparison to other people, JZD is
still alive and kicking almost 19 years later. Now THAT is the very
definition of admirable!

Bottom line: For the past 20 years we've had to put up with numerous
ignorant yokel magazine editors, and hack "journalists" who have
given us thier opinions fused with bastardized facts not in the
spirit of journalism, but for the self gratification of seeing their
own names in print. I for one say cut the man some slack, let JZD
have his say!

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:01:42 +0000 (GMT+00:00)
From: Chris Spratt <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: temp gauge

My gauge is the same never moves. I assume its the sender but have not looked at it yet, not even sure were it is.
So any idea's would be good!

Thanks

Chris S

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:44:36 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

The temperature gauge circuit is easily diagnosible as it is similar
to the circuits on most cars. The first step would be to visualy
inspect the wiring for grounds, loose wires, missing connections, etc.
There is a low failure rate in this circuit, the most likely cause is
a bad wire to the sending unit. I would have to check the wiring but I
think this condition would be caused by either a shorted sending unit
or a grounded wire to the sending unit.(Of course a bad gauge would do
it too, in fact by being constantly grounded it could have gone bad.)

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:32:16
From: "De Miller" <demillerkansas_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stephen Arrington connection

Hi everyone:
  I've read this book and Arrington, although he has been through a lot and
has turned his life around, is barely a footnote in DeLorean"s trial. He was
the airplane pilot who actually flew the cocaine into the US. The cocaine
was needed to proceed with the DeLorean trial. Yes, Arrington went to jail,
but, hey he actually committed a crime. "Fall Guy"? I don't know. He didn't
know anything about DeLorean's supposed involvement in the deal...he was
simply a pilot who wanted to make some money. I personally think the
publishers of his book (it is interesting in its own right and a good read,
by the way) use the DeLorean connection to sell copies of the book. (So what
else is new?) Get it if you want something interesting to read, not to learn
any great details on DeLorean. De Miller, Kansas City, Lic OUTATYM Vin#
3427.

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 13:19:37 -0600
From: "Matthew Walker" <mwalker_at_dml_dragon-reach.org>
Subject: Update, just for fun

Well after the fun I had replacing the fuel pump boot, cover and hoses
it seems the fuel pump itself decided retirement was due now.  Once I
replaced the fuel pump all worked again.  I just don't understand this
car sometimes. It doesn't seem to want me to have it fixed at times.  I
guess it likes staying with me since the actual owner made comment about
needing it back once it is completely fixed. :)

Oh well c'est la vie.

Matthew L. Walker

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:08:01 -0800
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Floor Jack jacking instructions please!

Where, other than the scissors jack point can you use a floor jack, it
seemed to show a crack at that point when I used a floor jack.

Thanks, Les 10059

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:53:18 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Door Handles (who has plastic?...)

In a message dated 2/20/01 10:39:42 AM Eastern Standard Time, dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net
writes:

<< Let my try this again.

 P & M Bailey, Who is selling plastic door handles for $100? >>

I'd like to hear the answer to that one too.  Maybe the writer was just
speaking in hyperbole.  So far as I've heard, plastic handles have been out
of stock and generally unavailable almost from the beginning.  Apart from
being stronger, the metal is supposedly the only type available.  Of course,
if you want to be Concours, you're going to be hard pressed to find a
replacement.  And it won't be cheap. Bob Miller, who is on this DML, just
bought one.  I saw it on e-bay.  I have no idea what he may be selling it
for. I have one myself, new in the bag, that I've never needed on my daily
driver... if anyone makes me a good offer I might part with it.
Lots of cars have plastic handles, BTW, and my DeLorean's have lasted 19
years.  How many cars on the road today with brand new plastic handles will
even be drivable 19 years from now?  :)  Maybe 5%?

Wayne A. Ernst
The New DeLorean Manuals Project

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:47:33 -0500
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>
Subject: Re: Re: John DeLorean letter

I also got a few replies private, so let me respond to the list-

I am neither British, nor a homosexual.  I was in no way offended by the term.

My comment was based on the constant hammering of being "politically correct" in
the workplace as to avoid offending anyone.  With that in mind, it seemed odd
that Mr. DeLorean would publicly publish a document including a term that might
be considered offensive by some.

I in NO WAY find fault with what Mr. DeLorean wrote.  I found the document very
informative and it is great to be able to hear the story directly from the man,
and not some trumped up version designed to sell magazines.  I hope to read more
in the future!  Thank you Mr. DeLorean, and thank you Ken.

BTW, I am also a DeLorean owner..  I hear all of the cocaine references as
well.  Although it is not fun to have a the car associated with drugs, and I am
"sick of" them too, the fact remains that it was a very public event in the
history of the car.  We can have sympathy for Mr. DeLorean for the situation
(even more so after reading his letter), but I do see how that relates to using
a questionable term to describe someone.

While I personally don't care about what terms were used to describe Sir Cork I
do care about the public image of the man who's name is on the back of my car.
If this letter were to ever make it to a large media outlet it could be a Public
Relations mess for Mr. DeLorean.  So, in addition to the cocaine jokes you may
also hear gay bashing, or british bashing jokes.

Truth is, I don't think any of this is a big deal...  It was just some casual
comments on the letter.

Marc

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 05:27:47 -0000
From: sean_dmc1_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: Here again!

Man, I just couldn't stay away. Even after selling my DeLorean, VIN
7003, I am feeling a little nostalgic and I want another one! Maybe
not right now, but some time soon. Just thought I would let everyone
know that I am happy to be back and can't wait to get into
the "DeLorean groove" again! Thanks!

Sean Spurlock

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:14:09 -0000
From: mwalker_at_dml_dragon-reach.org
Subject: Leaking front windshield

I have a question since I haven't seen this come up before, nor have
I found it in the archives. (doesn't mean it isn't there, I just
couldnt' find it.)

My front windshield leaks when it rains.  If I push lightly on the
glass I can feel the give.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to re-
seal the windshield?

BTW I know it is not the doors I have checked and double checked and
finally realized where the water was coming in from.

Matthew L. Walker

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:53:28 -0000
From: delorean_pilot_at_dml_yahoo.com

Thank you for your kind welcome. I'm just getting acquainted with the
List and have been following it for a few months with interest.
Currently nothing I have is for sale. Everything is in storage as I
am planning to move this Spring. Fred

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:59:21 -0000
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>

About 1 year ago I was approached by a young man selling a Alpine A310,
formally registed to the Dunmurry DeLorean factory and used for testing
purposes..he wanted a fair bit of money for it, but as it was a bit tatty, I
did not follow it up.

Chris P DOC UK

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:14:10 -0800
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: cross reference

Just replaced the oxygen sensor, new Bosch number is 11037.

Delco batteries:  On their home page they list batteries for the
DeLorean, 3 group 74 batteries: 70 5yr, 74 6yr and 78BT 6yr.  Interstate
also has a home page, they don't specify DeLorean but have group 74
batteries and a lot of others that will fit. My unit has an Interstate
battery, about a year and a half old, it is not sealed like the Delcos
but I pulled the caps and the water level looked ok so may also require
little if any maintenance.

BTW if you go on the net and do a search, there's a good article on
Delco batteries and why they're better and last longer, title is
something like "The awful truth about  Delco batteries."  I think I was
using google and search was just 'delco batteries' and it was the first
listing.  It's a good read if you want to take the time.

Research continues!

Les

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:42:53 EST
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: co mix screw

Hello,
    I have been working on my project car for some time now and havent been
able to figure out its odd idle and poor acceleration problems. The frequency
valve is working properly so I thought the problem may be related to the
intake system.
    I thought it might be a good idea to check the co levels and adjust the
screw as necessary.  I removed the intake(both halves) and found that the
metal ball(plug) that covers the hole was missing(nice sized vacuum leak I
guess).  It also looks like the screw is in as far as it can go.  I am
guessing this could be my problem although I dont know for sure.  Where can I
buy one of these plugs at?  also, what type of head is on the co mix screw?
you cant really see it through that little hole.

Thanks
David

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:11:33 -0600
From: "Sean Spurlock" <sean_dmc1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: 5-speed vs. Automatic

Group,

      I sold my car, 81 with 5-speed and I loved it. What is the deal with
the automatics. I have never known anyone that has owned one! I am thinking
about buying another car, and cannot decide on trans. type. Can anyone give
me some straight forward pluses and minuses? I would really appreciate it!

Best Wishes,

Sean Spurlock

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:24:19 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Door Handles (who has plastic?...)

Hi
I don't normally comment on parts on this list for a variety of reasons but
one thing I will say is that I have seen the new metal handle that Stephen
has made and it is  extremely well done.  It comes complete and it looks just
like the original.  And considering the tooling the cost has actually been
decreased over what plastic ones were going for.  This is also not just the
handle but the entire assembly.
To make the plastic one at this point is a waste of money.

good job